• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone In The Dark (2024) |OT| Christian Slater and Tara Reid Not Included

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
For dualsense features, I still can't recall if the triggers are utilized when shooting and the rumble doesn't stand out.

However, I did notice that the light on the controller gets slightly brighter when you activate the flashlight 🤣. Nothing amazing but once I became aware I couldn't help but notice a touch of extra brightness.

Theres definitely controller feedback but no haptics

fart town usa

Gold Member
How is the story? Does it live up to soma ?
I figured someone would bite, I haven't played all of Amnesia and never played Soma so I don't know how it stacks up.

I've been making a concerted effort to piece things together and certain events have caused me to reference old files and I think I understand where things are headed but hard to say. Others have said it's kind of a dud when all is said and done but I'm still holding out hope. There are hidden endings too. I definitely plan on getting those.

I think it's mostly a matter of sticking the landing or not. I'll find out this weekend.

Reactions: Isa

Kacho

I figured someone would bite, I haven't played all of Amnesia and never played Soma so I don't know how it stacks up.

I've been making a concerted effort to piece things together and certain events have caused me to reference old files and I think I understand where things are headed but hard to say. Others have said it's kind of a dud when all is said and done but I'm still holding out hope. There are hidden endings too. I definitely plan on getting those.

I think it's mostly a matter of sticking the landing or not. I'll find out this weekend.
Bring back the Barry Burton avatar

struggle.png

fart town usa

Gold Member
I still haven't finished the game but Chapter 4 is wild so far, much longer than I expected too. I figured I'd finish but calling it a night.

I watched the credits and it says the voice actor for Jeremy Hartwood is Paul Mercier. Same Paul Mercier who voices Leon in OG RE4.

How funny.

I still haven't finished the game but Chapter 4 is wild so far, much longer than I expected too. I figured I'd finish but calling it a night.
I really like Hopper's Chapter 4. The stylized investigation is peak. Also has the handgun with more stopping power.

P.S. I have practically finished the game three times. I am kind of stuck on doing the unfinished Hartwood Curse ending and want to do another Carnby run for cult ending if they ever add it. Despite slightly worse voice work he shines as a supporting character in Emily playthrough. I do like some of his interactions with the cast more, but he is not as convincing at expressing confusion during his playthrough. Also, Emily's experience makes more narrative sense.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I really like Hopper's Chapter 4. The stylized investigation is peak. Also has the handgun with more stopping power.

P.S. I have practically finished the game three times. I am kind of stuck on doing the unfinished Hartwood Curse ending and want to do another Carnby run for cult ending if they ever add it. Despite slightly worse voice work he shines as a supporting character in Emily playthrough. I do like some of his interactions with the cast more, but he is not as convincing at expressing confusion during his playthrough. Also, Emily's experience makes more narrative sense.
Yea, I really dig Emily as a character, I started with her first. Looking forward to seeing Carnby's take on everything.

One thing with Chapter 4 as Emily, it's pretty wild the amount of stuff it's having me do. I expected a straight shot to the finale and some of the set pieces it's putting me in are really wild, not what I expected at all. The pacing is phenomenal in this game, it can seem to grind to halt at times if you get stuck on a puzzle or are just wandering Derceto but the game does a fantastic job of keeping the carrot dangling in front of you. The game will always reward you for wandering around and exploring, or throw something crazy at you to keep you on your toes.

Yea, I really dig Emily as a character, I started with her first. Looking forward to seeing Carnby's take on everything.

One thing with Chapter 4 as Emily, it's pretty wild the amount of stuff it's having me do. I expected a straight shot to the finale and some of the set pieces it's putting me in are really wild, not what I expected at all. The pacing is phenomenal in this game, it can seem to grind to halt at times if you get stuck on a puzzle or are just wandering Derceto but the game does a fantastic job of keeping the carrot dangling in front of you. The game will always reward you for wandering around and exploring, or throw something crazy at you to keep you on your toes.
It is fun to explore, but being fun to speed run is what I like best.

RagnarokIV

Guys,

I finally got it yesterday. I was so excited! I opened a box of wine to celebrate while playing. Anyway I ended up pissed and stumbled through chapter 2.

So I’m now replaying it all (no wine) to truly take it in. But the talisman puzzle suddenly has a green outline and the numbers are highlighted. This wasn’t there last night?
I was playing unpatched and the game updated overnight.

Is this something the patch added or was I dreaming?

• Thoughtful
Guys,

I finally got it yesterday. I was so excited! I opened a box of wine to celebrate while playing. Anyway I ended up pissed and stumbled through chapter 2.

So I’m now replaying it all (no wine) to truly take it in. But the talisman puzzle suddenly has a green outline and the numbers are highlighted. This wasn’t there last night?

Do you have old school or modern setting on puzzles? Old school does not have it for sure.

Isa

Guys,

I'm playing with modern help and I don't recall getting any illuminated clues, but maybe it initiates after some time has elapsed. I was glad to find out a couple by myself still, the only thing the game said was to check some journal but the actual puzzle was a bit more complicated than that. Could've been in an update though.

RagnarokIV

Just done the star signs puzzle, I love this game.

I forgot how shit modern games have gotten with puzzles. Genuinely had to think for a moment there.

The atmosphere, puzzles and soundtrack are amazing. David Harbour really is the best choice for Edward Carnby. Not being a generic badass is the biggest throwback to the original.

The game is giving me so much nostalgia for the original AITD but also another Haunted House favorite of mine - Phantasmagoria.

TwinB242

I finished Emily's campaign and started Edward's. It seems like its basically the same game but with minor differences in cutscenes and character interactions. I was hoping it would be more like the Leon/Claire campaigns in RE2 remake.

I have too much on my plate so im gonna have to hold off on replaying it. But overall I enjoyed the game quite a bit (except for that final boss).

I finished Emily's campaign and started Edward's. It seems like its basically the same game but with minor differences in cutscenes and character interactions. I was hoping it would be more like the Leon/Claire campaigns in RE2 remake.

I have too much on my plate so im gonna have to hold off on replaying it. But overall I enjoyed the game quite a bit (except for that final boss).
There is a segment in Chapter 4 that is completely unique to each character. I personally like the segment for Carnby more than Emily's.

P.S. I have found out that the other two secret endings are very much doable contrary to published information. I am going to do Emily's and then do another run as Carnby.

Last edited:
Just reached Chapter 3.

Enjoying the game thoroughly. If this is AA I wonder what this team could do with one of those bloated $300M budgets.

If you're coming into this looking for an action survival horror game like RE, you will likely be disappointed.

It's a mystery, you might have to think a bit to solve the puzzles. Really enjoyed that boilerplate one.

Far creepier than any RE, but in a psychological way. To be honest, this is the type of game Silent Hill should aspire to be. Its cerebral, and one of the best survival horror I've played in years.

The geometric jank is real, though.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So compared to RE and Alan wake 2, how does this mix up combat , exploration, puzzles?

RE is preferred to Alan wake 2 which is very light on combat. Is that the case here?

So compared to RE and Alan wake 2, how does this mix up combat , exploration, puzzles?

RE is preferred to Alan wake 2 which is very light on combat. Is that the case here?
So, it's not exactly like blasting zombies in Resident Evil or whatever that weird flashlight thing was in Alan Wake 2. This game's combat is all about freaking out and hoping you have enough bullets.

You only get a few weapons and some stuff that breaks after a hit or two. Health and ammo? Rare. Every fight feels like your life's on the line, no walking around like Leon with a grenade launcher.

Alone in the Dark is all about surviving, not how many monsters you can mow down.

You gotta be smart and use what little you have, unlike those other games where you just spray bullets everywhere. The biggest issue with combat, imo, is the geometric jank and weird camera angles you can find yourself in IF you try to play like RE.

I tried the final boss on hard and I am just getting pulverized. At least I always have two other endings lined up. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Had a great time doing another run otherwise. This game really looks stunning at times...
rFhBRwm.png

S22bcl2.png

nfmwgDk.png

OMLrjuD.png

pT1ce0c.png

Last edited:

Alan Wake

The combat is way worse in AitD. Exploration is great I think and the puzzles too. It's worthwhile exploring to find collectibles and ammo.

fart town usa

Gold Member

There's plenty of combat. It's not relentless with it but the game does a great job of knowing when to throw enemies at you and when to let you explore.

I think combat in AITD is as bad or as good as you make it. I find great success and fun with focusing on melee. The dodge mechanic is really forgiving and a stick and move approach keeps me stocked up on heals/ammo.

It's basically RE2/3 aiming/dodging with reliable SH style melee. Melee isn't exactly pretty but it works totally fine.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I didn't marathon it over the weekend like I thought I would. Ronin engaged me hard which I did not expect.

Hoping for a patch soon but I'm still gonna finish Emily maybe tonight and then give it a few more days before going in as Edward. I want the slight break so I can forget some things. I know the campaigns are similar and I just really want to enjoy these first playthroughs as much as I possibly can.

Nice to see the 4+ rating in PSN with 400+ user reviews. Really hope this game makes some money so we can get sequels.

kinda blown away those alternative 2 endings aren't bugged but require inputs during cutscenes?
Yeah, it is pretty old school.
The Emily one requires the use of paint thinner in bathroom of Doctor Gray's apartment and lowering the gun while using submission handsign during dark man encounter. The Carnby one requires making an offering in Chapter 4 behind the big tree and looking at the little girl during the climax. All that assumes that the respective lagniappes are already acquired by that time, which means multiple playthroughs. There is a shared third secret ending initiated by giving the little girl something to play with before the Feast of Saint John and I like that one even better.

P.S. I am so happy that PC version has UE4 Engine script homebrew option for precompiling shaders and preloading them. The game is pretty stuttery otherwise. It is nuts how much difference the shader setting makes in emphasizing bump maps of assets.

Last edited:

Isa

Really enjoying this so far. Up to chapter 4 now, loving the music, impressed with the environments and story. Its got some good bad vibes lol. Combat is serviceable, not unlike The Sinking City which I really like. The Lovecraftian elements are there which is great and I'm really looking forward to more playthroughs to see any differences in campaigns. I went Emily first.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Minor spoiler mid game, but I found that a bit funny
the part when it goes into fixed camera view and Emily says something feels odd, this room reminds me of my childhood
Seriously, if this is AA then Keep them coming.
Outside of the characters models which could be better but of decent enough.
The rest of the game is graphically fantastic and has some really nice touches which even the big AAA games don't even have.
And the gameplay is no different to a AAA title.
Really hope a sequel is on the cards.
Reviews were dead wrong on this on

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
This is how brain dead journos that 99% of the time don't know what the fuck they are talking about rob us of great games.

Just shit on a game on release so that nobody even thinks of giving it a fair shot and see it flop.

Fuck them
100% accurate.

It's so unbelievably lame. It's maddening too to see gamers willingly be talked out of playing games they might have otherwise tried.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Finished Chapter 3. This game goes in some unexpected directions sometimes! I never know from moment to moment what will happen next. Lots of good puzzles in this chapter too, some that really made me think!

Alan Wake

This is how brain dead journos that 99% of the time don't know what the fuck they are talking about rob us of great games.

Just shit on a game on release so that nobody even thinks of giving it a fair shot and see it flop.

Fuck them
The more I play of AitD the more I agree with this. Seeing this game getting 4/10 is ridiculous. It has some obvious flaws, the combat being one of them, but this is NOT a bad game at all. I really hope people give it a chance despite the lazy reviews.

100% accurate.

It's so unbelievably lame. It's maddening too to see gamers willingly be talked out of playing games they might have otherwise tried.
This is why reviewers deserve far more scrutiny than they get. Most of them are devoid of imagination or normie as fuck. The unfortunate reality is that the masses and parts of the community obey their scores religiously.

In doing so, they actively dictate what gets to "pass" on the market, and by extension what developers "should and shouldn't" be making. There are games out there that tried to dare new things gameplay- and worldbuilding-wise that got panned beyond belief by these people.

This is why reviewers deserve far more scrutiny than they get. Most of them are devoid of imagination or normie as fuck. The unfortunate reality is that the masses and parts of the community obey their scores religiously.

In doing so, they actively dictate what gets to "pass" on the market, and by extension what developers "should and shouldn't" be making. There are games out there that tried to dare new things gameplay- and worldbuilding-wise that got panned beyond belief by these people.
After the Hogwarts Legacy debacle most of their opinions aren't worth the server space they take up.

Last edited:

MacReady13

After the Hogwarts Legacy debacle most of their opinions aren't worth the server space they take up.
To be honest with you, I haven't listened to the large majority of these clowns for many, many years. They're basically all shit talkers. Anyone talking down this game as a 4/10 game know nothing about gaming at all! Combat is serviceable. Story is fine. Graphics are fine. This is NOT a triple AAA wankfest so jank is almost guaranteed but you can see the passion in this game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
To be honest with you, I haven't listened to the large majority of these clowns for many, many years. They're basically all shit talkers. Anyone talking down this game as a 4/10 game know nothing about gaming at all! Combat is serviceable. Story is fine. Graphics are fine. This is NOT a triple AAA wankfest so jank is almost guaranteed but you can see the passion in this game.
The thing with the combat that is funny to me is that it's no better or worse than RE2/3make.

The dodge mechanic is definitely more involved in RE3 but I actually prefer the feel and usage in AITD.

I think what triggers combat gripes in reviews is that the weapons are incredibly limited compared to RE, but it makes sense; molotovs function as grenades in a way and what other firearms are you going to have in 1920s Louisiana? Lol. I love the melee weapons and the crucifix is OP as shit if you didn't know. Takes forever to break.

RE2make is brilliant because it took classic RE gameplay and gave it some modern aspects. The combat itself is limited as F. Same applies to AITD but they took it a step further and made it even more basic, but the options are still there IMO.

The biggest sin of AITD is the geometry jank and other bugs (audio). I think the gameplay is honestly near flawless with what it sets out to do. Melee hits look goofy at times but it's responsive and hits register, that's more important in the grand scheme of things than constant visual fluidity.

Top Bottom