• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alvvays is the greatest Canadian band of 2017

So I've been slowly going through the other band names suggested in this thread, and Varsity is really good, although their style is rather different than Alvvays IMO. On to the other suggestions! (yeah I'm slow...)

LOVE Alvvays!

I know there's a lot of indie bands that do the "retro" sound, but there's something more special about this band that I can't put my finger on...maybe cause I'm also from Toronto

Misha

Banned
Love both their albums. Definitely my favorite band.

First album was overall stronger imo. In undertow is probably my favorite song tho

Zekes!

Listened to one song in the OP, seems like something I would've been into when I was younger. Will keep them in mind when I'm feeling like listening to something that's not Hip-Hop besides Radiohead

the1npc

Yeah im on team PUP. Also gotta give credits to Counterparts from Hamilton, doubt most of gaf listens to hardcore tho

I fucking LOVE this band. The first time I heard Adult Diversion, I was completely floored. Still my favorite Alvvays tune. The guitars are top class. Seeing them next month in San Francisco and I can't wait.

I'm still absorbing the new one and I love it of course, but interestingly my favorite songs are the ones I already came to love because of their Coachella set from 2016. Those being Not My Baby, Dreams [Tonite], and Saved by a Waif (New Haircut). If any of you guys haven't heard it yet, I highly suggest you check it out.

COACHELLA MMXVI

Jzero

I don't know man, Mac Demarco and Homeshake are up there.
But yea molly is a cutie
I saw them live in 2015

6R1MwfL.jpg

King_Moc

Banned
Seems like nothing more than a 80's style dream pop band that are a dime-a-dozen nowadays, not that I don't enjoy that style of music from time to time but I don't see anything that makes this band stand out much at all.

I mean, they're not dream pop, but OK.

They're a jangle rock band, highly influenced by The Primitives (they even used to cover them at live shows - this basically sounds just like Alvvays https://youtu.be/5JVmV-m4wXg).

120v

they remind me of dream pop/shoegaze bands of yore even though that may not technically be their genre. some songs are great but i can never really make it through a full album, feels like i'm in some kind of coffee shop purgatory or something. maybe it just didn't fit my mood or whatever

I prefer their debut album, but this new one is lovely. "Plimsoll Punks" and "Your Type" are especially great.

So I've been slowly going through the other band names suggested in this thread, and Varsity is really good, although their style is rather different than Alvvays IMO. On to the other suggestions! (yeah I'm slow...)

Some stuff by Beach House gives me similar feelings to Alvvays' music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBtlPT23PTM

Moonkid

One of their songs popped up on my discover weekly a while ago. Getting around to listening to them now and I dig it. Love the vocal line in Not My Baby.

Listened to an album after reading this thread. Not a fan. Her voice is nice, but her lyrics are repetitive and not that inventive. It's kind of generic-pop-sound music.

Courage

I usually don't fuck with dream pop, at least in its modern incarnation, but this band has a few bops that I come back to often. Dreams Tonite is legit, so is Archie Marry Me.

cwmartin

Their music is awesome, the sound they've created is nothing short of genius tho. They have the personality of a wet bag of rocks though. They did a session and interview on SiriusXM radio and it almost put me to sleep.

see5harp

I think their sound works better in person and in a small setting. I thought they were pretty boring live at Coachella too.

Top Bottom