• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I overreacting?

"is it okay that this person I recently met is making me pay for all his meals?"

OP unless you're desperate for friends, grow a goddamn backbone.

wedca

Ya, I want to know how many times you've paid.

Has he offered to pay for your lunch in the future? This is the least he could do.

Erv

How are you going to say you don't mind but make this thread? But just stop doing it. It's very selfish of him or ask him why he never has money. If he's that poor continue to pay but ask him if he can order cheaper stuff

FUME5

Keep buying him lunch, give him an itemized bill at the end of the month.

That will solidify your burgeoning friendship.

Pau

Sounds like you do mind, OP.

This reminds me of someone who used to be my best friend. He even once took me to a bookstore for my birthday, told me to pick something out that he would pay for. When we got to the cash register, he pulled the "I don't have any money on me. I swear I'll pay you back." He never did, obviously.

You ultimately gotta ask yourself if it's worth paying them for their company.

He even once took me to a bookstore for my birthday, told me to pick something out that he would pay for. When we got to the cash register, he pulled the "I don't have any money on me. I swear I'll pay you back."

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious.

Pau

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious.
No worries. I can look back and laugh at how ridiculous it was. :p

Just coming out of high school, my self esteem was still low enough that I didn't confront him about anything because he was the only person willing to be my friend.

I have the opposite problem. Whenever I go to dinner with this group from work, one guy always insists on paying for everyone else no one seems to want to split the bill. Makes me a little hesitant to go out with them tbh.

Resilient

i have called out my closest friends for not paying me back after i paid for their dinner/lunch or whatever when they didn't have cash.

how the fuck you guys do this i will never understand. i ain't paying shit for nobody, cause nobody is paying shit for me.

edit: to go even further i don't even pay for my girlfriends dinner, we split that shit 50/50 every time.

Maddness

So you go out with this guy. He then says "oh shit I forgot my wallet" and guilts you into paying, or he just says "shit I don't have any money right now. I'm broke" and then you don't look at him and say "then why the fuck did you buy food?" and ask him how he plans on paying for it?

Just don't pay for it and make him feel like a fucking chump fool. It's not that hard. As long as he can take a free sucker from the jar he's gonna take one. You dig?

Every time we have hung out it turns out he never has any money to split the bill and I always have to end up paying....which honestly I don't mind...BUT when someone is buying lunch for you, shouldn't you order some of the less expensive items on the menu? Or is that just me? This guy whenever we have gone out for lunch always orders the most expensive items...

Hold up. I can't tell what you mean because you seem to be referring to two different things. On one hand, it sounds like this guy goes to lunch with no money, doesn't let you know, and just pretends to have forgotten his wallet or some shit when the check comes. In that case, stop going out with that dude because he's clearly just mooching off you/others.

On the other hand, you also make it sound like he lets you know he has no money before you even go to the restaurant and you just keep offering to pay like a fool. In that case, that's on you, dude. If someone keeps offering me free lunch, I'm gonna keep taking it.

Aselith

i have called out my closest friends for not paying me back after i paid for their dinner/lunch or whatever when they didn't have cash.

how the fuck you guys do this i will never understand. i ain't paying shit for nobody, cause nobody is paying shit for me.

edit: to go even further i don't even pay for my girlfriends dinner, we split that shit 50/50 every time.

What if it's her birthday?

Kyuur

There's this new guy at work...he's pretty cool we have hung out a few times now however there is one thing that is bothering me...

Every time we have hung out it turns out he never has any money to split the bill and I always have to end up paying....which honestly I don't mind...BUT when someone is buying lunch for you, shouldn't you order some of the less expensive items on the menu? Or is that just me? This guy whenever we have gone out for lunch always orders the most expensive items...

It has gotten to the point where I'm considering just not hanging out with him anymore...

Am I the wrong here?

In regards to this, yeah I'd say you're in the wrong. If I take someone out for lunch I would expect them to just order what they want, and if I'm taken out I will do likewise.

I'm not sure why you would stop hanging out with him instead of just going "hey dude, I'd like to go to lunch but I can't cover for you this time" if what he's ordering is a problem.

Put a fog machine in the back seat of your car. Next time he says he can’t pay, wait till you get to the car, turn the fog machine on, and put on some smooth jazz. Then wink and be like, “I can think of at least two ways you can pay.”

Either he’ll pay next time, he’ll never go with you again, or life just got a whole lot sexier.

Kthulhu

Tell him that he's asked you to spot him too many times. Ask hit to return the favor. If he says no, you know he's mooching.

Do it in a friendly and non-aggressive manner. No need to create hostility where there is none.

There's this new guy at work...he's pretty cool we have hung out a few times now however there is one thing that is bothering me...

It has gotten to the point where I'm considering just not hanging out with him anymore...

Am I the wrong here?

No, treating ytour friends is fine, this guy is a new co-worker , they're not mutually exclusive but if he's not returning the favor he's just using you . Next time he asks you out bring it up if it's not awkward.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
only if it's her birthday

but if it's my birthday she pays for me.

it's always even stevens.

what do you think happens when you get married? you have separate accounts that you treat each other with?
I am married. There's no point when we were dating where I told her that I was only paying for my half of our dates.

Before you get lunch next time ask him if he can get you back for the last couple of meals. If he makes a fuss, then he knew what he was doing all along. Don't get lunch with him, or at least get separate checks.

Top Bottom