• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMA with Aliens Colonial Marines tester [verified]

Alienous

This gif is going to see a lot of mileage. It was a fantastic use of my time.

2z9p9L7.gif

I hope the guys at Gearbox know that they screwed Sonic out of a warm bed and a roof over his head.

Wow. I mean I'm used to shitty business practice stories, but this is nuts. Sega gonna be sending out Segata Sanshiro to deliver some punishment.

Gearbox have gotten progressively worse. This is absolutely shittiness that harms publisher trust in other independents. They were in trouble after Brothers in Arms basically bombed this gen and were saved by borderlands. I enjoyed the first but 2 bored me so much I still haven't finished it. Yep, not going to give Gearbox any of my money.

Riposte

Is this the same guy from before? If it is isn't then I'm more inclined to believe it is bullshit (based on repeating what has been commonly speculated upon already). Though I admit a part of my skepticism is based on how much I dislike reddit as a whole.

Sojgat

Texture loading issues? I don't think any of the other crappy launch ports had this issue (except maybe Batman in a few spots).

So far he hasn't said anything that a random attention whore poser could've have cobbled together based on the rest of the news and leaks thus far. We'll see if he ends up being verified as credible by the mods...

Other console versions already have amazingly bad texture loading issues. Since they couldn't even get it to work on 360/PS3, it stands to reason they might have even more trouble with a newer machine like Wii U.

Don't know if guy is legit, but nothing he's claiming seems implausible.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Is this the same guy from before? If it is isn't then I'm more inclined to believe it is bullshit (based on repeating what has been commonly speculated upon already). Though I admit a part of my skepticism is based on how much I dislike reddit as a whole.
I work(ed) at soe London too and a lot of testers got zeroed after Aliens finished. I'm pretty sure it is credible from what he/she has said.

No? Didn't a devkit unit of the PS4 surface just this week? I don't think it's outrageous to imagine there being testers and stuff for games on dev units.

There's also the rumors floating around about the 720 releasing in September. If so, devkits would most certainly be used by testers for launch releases by now.

prag16

Banned
Other console versions already have amazingly bad texture loading issues. Since they couldn't even get it to work on 360/PS3, it stands to reason they might have even more trouble with a newer machine like Wii U.

Don't know if guy is legit, but nothing he's claiming seems implausible.

Yes, and at the same time nothing he's claiming is anything some random guy looking for attention and lulz couldn't have made up. Just saying...

Bog

Junior Ace
How the hell does anyone use Reddit? It looks like it was designed in developed in 1996.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
It became such a huge success that they probably lost interest in ACM. They were just focusing on the sequel.

If by "they lost interest" you mean they wanted to use all the money they had on their own IP and they didn't give a shit about ACM, then yeah sure they lost interest in ACM.

We're, what, ten months out from when those games would have to ship?

QA Testers, especially ones that have friends within the studio, probably have seen those things.

I agree that a tester totally could have seen a devkit, but I think that the way that he just throws it out there in an unrelated topic is a little suspicious, especially given the timing.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Not commenting on this person's credibility one way or the other, but both sets of devkits have been available to certain developers since September 2012.

Not commenting on this person's credibility one way or the other, but both sets of devkits have been available to certain developers since September 2012.

I would assume that Sega would be one of these developers. They're a major publisher, after all.

VashTS

Could be a total fake, but either way it will cause Sega/GBX to make a statement sooner than later. I'm sure they don't want fake leaks going around that hurts their image.

prag16

Banned
I know plenty of testers who know this sort of stuff. Everybody in the office on the last game I worked knew the full budget etc, because we all talked. That includes our few in-office testers.

Maybe at a small company. Not at a large company. And not when the testers are contractors (which this guy may be... The way he says he "kind of works for Sega but not really").

Contacting out testing odds very common for large companies.

Meelow

Banned
Some Microsoft executive mentioned in a slipup that Microsoft was releasing "the new Xbox" as part of their "new wave of products coming out in 2013."

Oh yeah that, but wasn't that confirmed a mistake or something?

It doesn't really matter though, the 720 will be announced this year anyway so we know its happening lol.

tenchir

So Gearbox basically used the same strategy as Silicon Knights? Divert most of the resources that was giving them by their publisher on their own project and do the bare minimum on the publisher's project?

ezekial45

Banned
Could be a total fake, but either way it will cause Sega/GBX to make a statement sooner than later. I'm sure they don't want fake leaks going around that hurts their image.

I don't think GBX is gonna comment on anything regarding this game.

I am, however, very curious about what Sega is going to do next.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Seems specious to me, regardless. Where's the ad blitz? Haven't seen anything at all.

While this is admittedly anecdotal, Valve spent $25m on marketing L4D2 and I can't say I ever saw a TV ad. (Granted, I live in Australia.)

So Gearbox basically used the same strategy as Silicon Knights? Divert most of the resources that was giving them by their publisher on their own project and do the bare minimum on the publisher's project?

Not exactly. Gearbox appears to created a ruse regarding A:CM's development while SK cut ties with Epic and then attempted to get away with using UE3 as the basis for its own engine.

Not exactly, since Borderlands had its own publisher the same way ACM did. Still possible they could have used Sega money on a Take Two game, but it's not quite the same as SK trying to get their own demo made and shopped around.

Again, that's if this guy is even real.

Top Bottom