• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMA with Aliens Colonial Marines tester [verified]

Not surprised at any of the recent Gearbox failures, they haven't made a good game since HL Opposing Force. Then again, that was an expansion pack.

That's not quite how Reddit works.

This was removed on purpose by the poster after he was identified.

There's also no guarantee this guy should keep his job just because he was posturing for anonymity.

So that's why the posts were removed.

I didn't know the specifics, so I just assumed that the /r/iAmA mods got a cease-and-desist notice.

------Since he's been identified, he's more than likely going to get fired. I worry about that guy's future in the game industry.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This was removed on purpose by the poster after he was identified.

Correct, looking at a deleted line before his deleted account, he was called out and the dumbass said "correct."

Why? If Gearbox did indeed use Sega's money to make Borderlands while neglecting the project Sega gave them the money to make, then Gearbox absolutely deserves to be punished. At best, the company is run by flimflam men; at worst, thieves.

If these allegations are true, it's a serious blow to Gearbox. There could be a bevy of negative consequences: 1. Sega sues Gearbox for breach of contract and fraud; 2. other publishers stop doing business with Gearbox; and 3. consumers stop buying Gearbox products.
Because first off, someone cheerleading for one corporation over another is just bizarre.

Second, Gearbox getting sued to oblivion will most likely mean a lot of good people who had nothing to do with whatever happened will lose their jobs. Overlooking the human cost for your own entertainment is just shitty in my opinion.

Lastly, not all of the information is in and we're not sure that there was a material breach of contract, etc. If Gearbox did a shitty thing/job, okay, but they're a good developer and I feel like gaming would be diminished in some way if they weren't to continue existing.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
No proof, just rumors that Level 5 was putting more time and resources into Dragon Quest and Rouge Galaxy than True Fantasy. Which caused it to lag behind schedule and eventually making Microsoft cancel it.

The wiki makes it sound like Microsoft was asking too much of them though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Fantasy_Live_Online

Actually from what I understand the game was finished and MS canned it stating it was not up to their standards. Which pissed off everyone who had bought the "brick" just for that game here in Japan. Its why there is so much bad blood between MS and Level 5. Also caused a lot of Japanese consumers to lose faith in the Xbox brand. Since right after that announcement of them not releasing the game, everything else with the system itself went downhill fast.

You should have seen how quick the used shops filled up with Xboxes after the announcement of it being shitcanned. So bad that some places even had signs saying that they were not buying any more xboxes.

DocSeuss

Well, Opposing Force was quite good.

The Halo CE port wasn't bad either.

Still, playing everything else they've done... the level design is never quite right, the shooting never feels particularly good, and the AI is often bad. Borderlands 2 took a step in the right direction in that there were more AI behaviors, but it still feels off.

Fredrik

This is so weird.
Gearbox outsource the gane during Boarderland development.
Get the gane back and notice that it's basically destroyed.
Tries their best to fix the problems before time runs out.
Launch the game on time but in bad shape.
Gets all the blame for the awful quality and should get sued.
Shouldn't the dev that actually destroyed the game take some of the blame here?

Because first off, someone cheerleading for one corporation over another is just bizarre.

Second, Gearbox getting sued to oblivion will most likely mean a lot of good people who had nothing to do with whatever happened will lose their jobs. Overlooking the human cost for your own entertainment is just shitty in my opinion.

Lastly, not all of the information is in and we're not sure that there was a material breach of contract, etc. If Gearbox did a shitty thing/job, okay, but they're a good developer and I feel like gaming would be diminished in some way if they weren't to continue existing.

I don't think it's cheerleading to desire that a company that did something wrong be punished. Further, Gearbox management should have thought of their innocent employees before indulging in shady activities. It's an unfortunate consequence, but they can't just hide behind their employees. Hopefully the employees can find good work if this situation does indeed irreparably damage the company.

This, of course, assumes that Gearbox actually did something wrong, but I'd be perfectly happy to be wrong. I'd certainly prefer if there were fewer wrongdoers in the world.

Adam Blue

This is so weird.

No. It's been mentioned here before, but Gearbox should have taken care of the Aliens property. They were in charge. The other issue is they could have used Aliens money on Borderlands.

You hope someone in charge of making an Aliens game would make it excellent. (respect to WayForward)

But now I'm just repeating myself...same feeling I had after watching AvP.

This is so weird.
Pretty sure that stuff Gearbox said about the game being ruined because of outsourcing was a lie. There was an entire other thread about it recently. The blame seems to belong to Sega and Gearbox. Sega for being a bunch of morons (actually, scratch that, sega were probably acting in good faith. I feel bad for them. This was mostly pre-SK scandal, too.) and Gearbox for misusing their resources.
Sources: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/sega-...es-sp-was-not-outsourced-to-timegate-studios/
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=512813

Fredrik

Pretty sure that stuff Gearbox said about the game being ruined because of outsourcing was a lie. There was an entire other thread about it recently. The blame seems to belong to Sega and Gearbox. Sega for being a bunch of morons (actually, scratch that, sega were probably acting in good faith. I feel bad for them. This was mostly pre-SK scandal, too.) and Gearbox for misusing their resources.
Sources: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/sega-...es-sp-was-not-outsourced-to-timegate-studios/
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=512813
Sega could wasily lie about that. If it easn't destroyed after being outsources then what happened after the trailer/demo? It looked awesome back then. And now it looks like crap.

Edit:probably already talked about. Sorry for being late on it all. I definitely don't think it's all Gearbox fault anyway but it seems complicated, and I don't really care honestly, I'm just mad about the whole situation, I was sooo looking forward to this game, was planning on getting the WiiU version day 1 and now it looks like crap everywhere and might not even get released on WiiU at all :(

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
so did Sega ever know Gearbox was outsourcing significant parts of the game? Isn't this something that should have bothered them or is it standard practice?

Seems to me if they payed for Gearbox, they should get Gearbox.

The Halo CE port wasn't bad either.
The singleplayer? Sure.

The multiplayer? 4 words: PEER TO PEER MULTIPLAYER (and garbage netcode for it too).
Halo CE is the first fps game I can remember to ever have p2p instead of dedicated servers on PC.
It was fucking horrible.
I bought it the day it came out, I still have the box and the disc. I still want a refund.

Bumhead

Banned
Thank god Borderlands 2 cost me nothing. I won't be buying any of the DLC, that's for sure. Partly because I don't want to support Gearbox, partly because the game is dull as dishwater beyond a certain point.

I've never boycotted a videogame company before but I'm quite happy to not give Gearbox or any project involving Randy Pitchford another penny.

Zomba13

The singleplayer? Sure.

The multiplayer? 4 words: PEER TO PEER MULTIPLAYER (and garbage netcode for it too).
Halo CE is the first fps game I can remember to ever have p2p instead of dedicated servers on PC.
It was fucking horrible.
I bought it the day it came out, I still have the box and the disc. I still want a refund.

Well to be fair it did have online over the orignal Xbox versions local only so it was still better than that.

The singleplayer? Sure.

It was fucking horrible.

I played the multiplayer for months. Once you got used to leading your shots (which is something you shouldn't have to do, probably), you could consistently rank high up in the leaderboard. This lead to a lot of pressing adadadadad to avoid shots, but I think that's something that's still present in multiplayer FPSs to take advantage of the hit-detection system. The huge snow map that they made for the PC port (can't remember the name, not sidewinder) was fantastic, too.

Well to be fair it did have online over the orignal Xbox versions local only so it was still better than that.

Actually there was a program like Tungle even back then, you could just hook up your xbox to your pc with a network cable , run the program and the xbox would think it was on LAN.
The netcode was also completely unsuited for peer2peer online play, I remember being excited and trying it with a friend for 15 mins before we quit, disillusioned. We wrote it off as a waste of time.

--> my surprise when the pc version was exactly the same (horrible netcode included)

I also remember buying mw2 and realising it was p2p only, it's the second game I ever played with p2p mp.
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

We were teenagers desperate to play halo back then and we wrote it off as worthless, and somehow between then and 2008 it became the standard, still boggles my mind to this day.

StayDead

The singleplayer? Sure.

It was fucking horrible.

The multiplayer was definately not peer to peer. I used to know someone who ran a 24/7 vehicle CTF Blood Gulch dedicated server.

I don't even like Halo that much anymore, but I loved Halo CE for it's online on PC.

LukeTim

The singleplayer? Sure.

It was fucking horrible.

When I used to host my own online games on that, I found that the host advantage was just ridiculous.

I'm terrible at FPS, but I would win by a large margin every time.

On second thoughts, that might've been the Halo PC Demo.

Top Bottom