• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon-bought SimCity games are being "returned" without customer request.

massoluk

Banned
Just got a reply back from Amazon, i guess that's that. Thanks Amazon ! Not sure if i will rebuy lol. Atleast Amazon came through !

lZgRz9z.png

Too late for the game dissapearing from Origin part lol !

Amazon never disappoints. Why shop anywhere else.

Nokterian

Just got a reply back from Amazon, i guess that's that. Thanks Amazon ! Not sure if i will rebuy lol. Atleast Amazon came through !

lZgRz9z.png

Too late for the game dissapearing from Origin part lol !

Time to invest that money in to Bioshock Infinite.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yea. Amazon has always been very consumer friendly for the most part. Usually when they screw up or even the vendor fucks up they will make it right for you. That's one reason they've continued to keep me as a customer.

Nope, it will only happen now that i have inquired about it, as i was contacting Amazon, my game was there with serial and all !

this still sounds like a case of Amazon refunding the customer due to EA screwing up.

SLV

Even though you got your money back, I feel like nothing has really been resolved. I mean you never requested the refund. I still want to know why this happened

yeah Wario, they are only refunding me now, because they don't know when this will be fixed, well i can always rebuy, but i am really not sure if i want to. We just have to wait and see i guess, how this situation goes further.

this still sounds like a case of Amazon refunding the customer due to EA screwing up.

Exactly

Septimius

Even though you got your money back, I feel like nothing has really been resolved. I mean you never requested the refund. I still want to know why this happened

It sounds like the block happened erroneously from EA, though, doesn't it? And that Amazon and EA knows about it, and meanwhile Amazon refunds when these problems happen (note, not to be benevolent, but together with EA to try and sort that this happened in the first place, so people can buy the game again while waiting for their money back)

Alucrid

Banned
I like how you take all the blame away from Amazon and place it on EA without any evidence.

Because Amazon couldn't be the ones doing chargebacks "at random" or that "takes away wrong keys for some reason", and EA certainly couldn't "know they shouldn't do that." and it's not at all "unlikely that" EA "decided that this game should be charged back".

How about we just wait for the full story?

Well considering how everyone is shitting on Amazon right now..

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I imagine.

1) SimCity disappoints for variety of reasons; huge influx of customers request refund
2) Amazon pulls SimCity listing so it doesn't continue
3) Customers still asking for refunds from purchases made before the pull
4) Instead of dealing with it over and over and over; Amazon pre-emptively refunds all SimCity purchases

Then....

5) Amazon will likely never carry the game again; at least until a solution is resolved
6) Customers can choose to buy the game elsewhere if they so desire before that time comes

That looks like an automated email after a refund has been issued, which in this case wasn't? Starting to think it's Amazons fault after all.

Septimius

That looks like an automated email after a refund has been issued, which in this case wasn't? Starting to think it's Amazons fault after all.

What.

Amazon says "EA has done something that made your game disappear, they're aware of it, and EA is trying to fix it. Meanwhile, here's your money back" - and it's Amazon's fault?

ElRenoRaven

I'm not sure how I feel about Amazon removing something from peoples' accounts without their consent.

Um they are because they're giving him a refund. They're not going to let him keep the item that he's getting a refund for. Also it's clear as day now that the issue is EA's issue and not Amazon's.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Where does it say that Amazon removed anything? The OP contacted Amazon about his game being removed on Origin and they responded with a refund.

what?

are you reading the same thing as everyone else?

keep fighting the good fight

Are you reading it? Did you miss the part about the email talks about things that already happen, and was reported on, might still happen? It just reads like an automated email.

What.

Amazon says "EA has done something that made your game disappear, they're aware of it, and EA is trying to fix it. Meanwhile, here's your money back" - and it's Amazon's fault?

That's not what it says at all. "issues" are very likely related to the launch issues. "I've issued a refund" when it was never asked for. And as said above talking about things that already happen, and was reported on, might still happen.

How can you not read that as an automated refund msg?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Are you reading it? Did you miss the part about the email talks about things that already happen, and was reported on, might still happen? It just reads like an automated email.
So Op contacts Origin. Then contacts Amazon when instructed by Origin. OP gets a reply back from amazon and a refund, and somehow it's amazon's fault because of how the email is constructed?

Septimius

What. I just.. What?

Something EA did removed SLV's game. Automated or not, SLV got a refund just now because EA fudged up.

Um they are because they're giving him a refund. They're not going to let him keep the item that he's getting a refund for. Also it's clear as day now that the issue is EA's issue and not Amazon's.

It seems nobody knows for sure who actually removed the content, but I still don't like the idea of removing account content without a customer requesting a refund.

rpmurphy

Amazon is not one of those "pass the buck" kind of companies when it comes to customer service. They refund for other services' screwups, whether it be the package carrier, or EA in this likely case.

ElRenoRaven

I am and as someone who as dealt with Amazon before I can tell you it's not an automated email. The rep has as a result of this issue issued him a refund. Then in a day or two it will appear on his card. When they can't fix the issue themselves they'll give a refund to the customer and inform them of that.

Now the email itself is a template they use but it's in reply to his issue. He'll see the refund in a day or two. Mark my words. I've been in the OPs place a couple times.

What. I just.. What?

Something EA did removed SLV's game. Automated or not, SLV got a refund just now because EA fudged up.

So it's been confirmed now?

Did anyone here ask for a refund from Amazon during the launch issues? How much you wanna bet the email is exactly the same?

Things that don't make sense:
Mentioning "issues" (plural)
Linking to the game's FAQ
Mentioning things that might happen after the refund, only they already did.

Here's how I see it,
Amazon charged back, as they do on refunds.
EA removes the game.
Only after Amazon sends the refund email, that was never issued.

GooeyHeat

It seems nobody knows for sure who actually removed the content, but I still don't like the idea of removing account content without a customer requesting a refund.

EA did, because it was removed from the Origin account, not the Amazon account.

It only got removed from the Amazon account after the OP asked about it, and THEN he got the refund.

EA done fucked up.

ElRenoRaven

Did anyone here ask for a refund from Amazon during the launch issues? How much you wanna bet the email is exactly the same?

Of course the email is similar. They're using a template. Do you think they type every damn response personally? They have templates for situations like this. Obviously they can't fix it because the issue is with EA. Hence since they don't know when or if it will be fixed the rep pulls up the refund template and replies. Then they initiate the refund. It's a very simple process. Just because the message is a template and not a personal response doesn't mean it's not being done.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

Even so, why did he get the email after he contacted Amazon? If the game was pulled, OP should have gotten the refund and email before he even made this thread. And like the other guy said, they are probably just using a template to send out a reply.

SLV

SO once AGAIN !

Simcity, bought from amazon, dissapears today from origin. I Contact EA rep, says it is Amazones fault ( see the OP ), then i send a message to Amazon, detailing WHAT EXACTLY has happened, i did not say i just want a refund, i said what happened. Then Amazon finally got back to me, and they replied that they are aware of the issues, then dont know when it will be resolved, so for now they are refunding me.

SO, Amazon corrected EA's fuck up ! I tried to have a live chat, but the Amazon rep was not in the know about this, they provided me the chance to speak to someone else per e-mail, but it could take days, so i said no thank you ! That is all !

^Edit:
Damn man.
EA dun goofed.
Also, Amazon is just amazing for customer service. If you had bought the game through Origin, you probably would have been screwed.

Septimius

If Amazon removed the game, why would they say "EA knows about the issue and are trying to fix it"? Amazon pretty clearly said that an EA error ended up being the reason why the game is gone.

OP, maybe you should post the email you sent amazon, then the reply, then it's obvious what 'your troubles' in "Sorry to hear about your troubles with SimCity" is?

Alucrid

Banned
EA did, because it was removed from the Origin account, not the Amazon account.

It only got removed from the Amazon account after the OP asked about it, and THEN he got the refund.

EA done fucked up.

If Sim City was still on OP's Amazon account then that would mean that, despite what EA says, they didn't do a chargeback for his order. Maybe due to the mass amounts of chargebacks from Amazon EA cut off product keys from Amazon?

Just having a good ole' speculation

Even so, why did he get the email after he contacted Amazon? If the game was pulled, OP should have gotten the refund and email before he even made this thread. And like the other guy said, they are probably just using a template to send out a reply.

Not if it was a mistake, which obviously was, on which side we don't know yet.

Top Bottom