• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Echo/Alexa Thread

Somnid

Echo (2017)

71YMatYkDPL._SX522_.jpg

The new Echo (no "Amazon," just "Echo") comes with improved sound, improved far-field microphone array, audio out all in a smaller package and lower price. You can use decorative shells to help it match the environment. Echo MSRPs for $100.

Echo Plus

61viFrSgJXL._SX522_.jpg

The Echo plus looks a lot like the OG Echo but also comes in silver. Also supports improved audio, mics, audio out, 802.11ac and comes with a built-in Zigbee hub. Echo Plus MSRPs for $150.

Echo Dot

61RcYX5Ac4L._SX425_.jpg

Can do all the things of a more expensive Echo but has only a tiny speaker to respond to voice requests (though you can still technically play music through them). You can use your own speaker with audio out or Bluetooth. Echo Dot is $50 but has been on sale for as low as $30.

Echo Look

51DlndxsD2L._SY500_.jpg

A digital fashion assistant. Takes hands-free pictures using Intel realsense cameras and with a combo of human and machine learning can pick out the best outfit for you. Otherwise works like an Echo Dot. Echo Look is $200 and invite only.

Echo Show

61k3R7CRtQL._SX425_.jpg

The top of the line Echo supports better audio and a 7" touchscreen. Unlike a tablet, the touchscreen is used to present information visually to voice queries with touch being a secondary mechanism. Can access Amazon Prime Videos, pictures and Youtube as well as most of the top brands of security cameras. The Echo show itself can also be used to connect to other Echo Shows externally via the drop-in feature (disabled by default) to check in on family. Echo Show is $230.

Echo Spot

61GcN5yX6XL._SX522_.jpg

The Echo spot is to the Echo Show what the Echo Dot is to Echo. Sports a round screen and camera that can be used for video chat in a small round package. Echo Spot costs $130.

Others

Anyone can build an Alexa compatible device. Whether it be a Raspberry Pi DIY project or hardware partners like Trilby and Ecobee, Lamps, cars, refrigerators etc. Alexa is also supported on Amazon tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Tap (portable bluetooth speaker), Amazon Dash Wand and third party apps on iOS and Android. Not all devices support all features.

Alexa Features

Alexa can play music, audiobooks, show weather, news, keep timers, grocery lists, reminders, send notifications, update calendars, give sports updates, voice calling, video calling, phone calling, home automation, control video apps, give facts, shop, and tell jokes (oh God the jokes) through a voice interface. Thousands of skills to do all sorts of others things like call ride share services, order pizza, or play simple audio games. Can also act like a bluetooth speaker or output to a bluetooth speaker.

Integrations:

Alexa can interface with a number of devices and services without the need for skill invocation words. These include:

- Music services (Pandora, Spotify, Sirius XM etc)
- TV Devices (DISH Hopper, Sony TVs, FireTV)
- Camera Devices (Ring, Arlo, Nest etc.), audio-only devices can get audio streams, video streams also viewable on FireTV
- Smart lights, plugs and other on/off devices (Hue, Lifx, Wemo, Smartthings, TPLink etc.)
- Smart Locks (August, Yale etc.)
- Thermostats (Nest, Ecobee, etc.)
- Speakers (Sonos)
- Input Devices (Echo Buttons)

These all use a common interface so you can even mix and match product brands.

Skills:

Skills are the primary way Amazon enhances Alexa's functionality. Anyone can build skills and Amazon offers some free AWS Lambda hosting for mild traffic. In addition to the types of skills listed above, you can also create Flash Briefing skills that add news and audio to the Alexa Flash Briefing or skills invoked using a word such as:

Alexa, ask Lyft for a ride
Alexa, tell Starbucks to check my balance
Alexa, ask Fitbit how I'm doing today

As of writing there are over 25,000 skills available.

FAQ

Doesn't my phone do this?

It has some of the functionality but the real killer is that Echo's far-field microphones can pick you up across the room which greatly increases the usability as well as Amazon's massive ecosystem.

Are there ads?

As per Amazon's developer agreement skills will be rejected if they have advertising content. Skills can suggest deals and such as long as it's directly related to it's function (e.g. Starbucks skill could let you know of a BOGO deal). Music skills may still contain ads as they normally would.

What's the privacy situation?

Echo is always listening for the wake word but anything it hears in it's short buffer will not be sent to the server unless it's reasonably sure you said the wake word. If so, it undergoes secondary verification and if it passes the audio is processed by Amazon's servers. In the case of a third party skill, the invocation text will be sent to them for the skill to process. Amazon will retain records of you voice to help improve the recognition but you will need to manually remove these if you don't want them there. If you do not wish for the Echo to listen in, you can press the mute button. This actually breaks an analog circuit and thus cannot be overridden by software. You may remotely enable Echoes using the drop-in feature which functions like an intercom, do not enable this for anyone but very close friends or family (see link in calling section for an overview of the privacy implications). Echo Look images you submit may be seen by Amazon's "style experts" to help give you a score. Echo Look's camera cannot be initiated by devices that are not part of the same network to help prevent remote access attacks.

How does calling work?

Calling is done to other Echoes or the Alexa app. You register your phone number and contacts and it will pull in anyone else who has done the same in the app. Call blocking is available if you do not wish to receive calls from a particular person on you list. Calls are directed to all Echoes on an account (unless using drop-in which can target specific Echo devices) as well as the app and you simply pick up on the device you wish. This can be slightly cumbersome if multiple people are connected to the same Amazon account with the App. Both the app and the Echo show support video calls. You may also leave voice or text messages and pending messages are indicated on the Echo by a yellow light. For information on the privacy nuances (really worth reading because it's a bit complex) of drop-in check this writeup by AFTVNews: http://www.aftvnews.com/warning-ale...extend-to-all-members-of-an-amazon-household/

In addition all Echoes in the US support free phone calls to US, Canada and Mexico with caller id features. For those with a landline home phone who wish to use their existing plan for long distance calls, receiving calls or calling 911, you can buy an Echo Connect. This is not required to place calls.

How do multiple Echoes work

Amazon uses a feature they call ESP (Echo Spacial Perception) to activate the closest Echo to respond. However some features are tied to the particular device that was activated such as timers. You may also communicate between Echoes using drop-in or organize your Echos into groups for cooperative music playback.

How does buying stuff work?

You may ask Alexa to order products, it will surface the most relevant from a pool of highly rated and prime eligible products and tells you the price. The order must be confirmed before placed and you are free to cancel or return (for free) items ordered this way. It is paid for via the primary card on your account. Note that anyone can confirm orders but you may disable or passcode lock the functionality to prevent misuse.

I have the Amazon Tap, which is basically the portable version of the Echo with a slightly weaker speaker. It's nice.

*Edit* Didn't see you included it under "other".

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
As I said before I work on this! The feature set is improving rapidly and will be continously expanding as well.

robochimp

The Harmony Hub is great when used with Alexa.

It can control anything in your home entertainment set up using Bluetooth or IR.
It can do on/off, input select, volume control. You can do specific tv channels by setting them as an activity.

Last I checked the Harmony skill can't control more than one hub. I have a second one set up using IFTTT.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The Harmony Hub is great when used with Alexa.

It can control anything in your home entertainment set up using Bluetooth or IR.
It can do on/off, input select, volume control. You can do specific tv channels by setting them as an activity.

Last I checked the Harmony skill can't contril more than one hub. I have a second one set up using IFTTT.

still learning IFTTT, but does this allow you to essentially sync up with incompatible devices or something?

Kill3r7

I had the echo but ultimately opted for the dot instead. Placed one in every room in the house. They work really well with Bluetooth speakers.

I bought three dots, two rooms have Hues, Ecobee 3 thermostats, and the rest of the main rooms we're in along with the outdoor lighting circuit have Lutron Caseta switches. It's all Homekit/Alexa dual compatible so it doesn't matter what we use to control the smart parts.

My wife loves it.

SMattera

I'm of the opinion that unless you have a large room/house, the Echo Dot's speaker works just fine for playing music

I've of the opinion that you should get your hearing checked.

The echo dot is an awesome device but the speaker quality is awful. You could pair it with a cheap $20-30 speaker and get a massive improvement.

breadtruck

I use mine for music and the daily weather report each morning.
Im sure it can do a bunch of other cool things, but I havent found a need for anything else yet.

Somnid

Future

i like my free* dash wand.

Really. Thought that was getting terrible reviews

Curious about the phone call feature. Actually would be nice to use this as a speaker phone to my family that also has an echo. Maybe I will register it

Still waiting too long for the moment the echo can talk to a FireTv. The moment that happens it will be bought instantly

I've of the opinion that you should get your hearing checked.

The echo dot is an awesome device but the speaker quality is awful. You could pair it with a cheap $20-30 speaker and get a massive improvement.

Apologize for insulting my ears, how dare you~ :p

Ya the Dash Wand doesn't really have much of a use but it's them trying to get ready for their grocery store shit and it cost me nothing so eh

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
The addition of SiriusXM through Alexa/Dot has been worth the price of the units I have. So great to be able to utilise this content without a stand alone satellite radio in the house...

Downhome

I really, really like using mine for controlling my Dish Hopper. Finding shows, turning channels, all of that. I use it far more than I thought I would, and when our daughter is born in July I'm sure my wife will use that feature a ton.

Newline

I gave up on my echo dot after I discovered you can]t even play your own music / a radio station in the morning as an alarm without using a ridiculous hack.

Obi

Neo Member
Does anyone have a problem with the microphone on the new Echo Show? It doesn't recognize commands that my regular Echo and Dot are fine with. It feels like maybe there is a smaller buffer or something. For example: If I say "Turn off Den Reading", I'll get "Sorry I didn't find off Den"

I didn't know you could roll your own with a Raspberry Pi.

I have one, so I can try this out and see if I like it and get a real one.

wanted to give Echo Show a shot but I can't get the damn wand to work! lol. How do you get what you scan to show up in your shopping list? I feel like an idiot.

Machine

I've found the wand to be useful. As I throw things away, I scan the bar code and it adds things to my cart. I can buy some of the items through Pantry and it serves as a shopping list for the rest since Fresh hasn't reached my area yet.

Somnid

wanted to give Echo Show a shot but I can't get the damn wand to work! lol. How do you get what you scan to show up in your shopping list? I feel like an idiot.

I think scanning adds to Amazon cart and asking to add it to shopping list adds it to the list. It's sorta a relic of how the wand used to work before Alexa came along.

turtle553

I'd be more inclined to use the to-do and shopping lists if I didn't have to go into the app to check them. Really would be nice to have a widget.

Somnid

hope we will get someday a decent podcast integration (hoping Pocket Casts devs are reading this).

I don't think 3rd parties will because it would entail hosting and streaming the podcasts whereas most of them are just apps that download the podcast from wherever it's hosted. Amazon themselves would probably need to do that and to some extent they do through Audible but it's generally seen as more for premium content. Definitely a missed opportunity.

I'd be more inclined to use the to-do and shopping lists if I didn't have to go into the app to check them. Really would be nice to have a widget.

Certainly possible. App developers have access to the lists.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
I'm about to pull the trigger on a dot, but I still can't find enough uses for it in my mind to justify it. I mean I keep coming up with things like order refills of things, setup calling ubers, maybe try to put together some postmates style food ordering thing and of course play music, but then I honestly think about the small difference in time between using it and my phone and I'm just not sure. One of my employees got one but he says he almost never uses it. Apparently only uses it to set cooking timers by voice command.

Mesoian

Curious about the phone call feature. Actually would be nice to use this as a speaker phone to my family that also has an echo. Maybe I will register it

Still waiting too long for the moment the echo can talk to a FireTv. The moment that happens it will be bought instantly

I mean, it's a simple ass thing that's pretty useful. I run out of juice, I scan the code, there's juicce in my cart. That's all I really need it for. It has a handful of other functions but I wouldn't want to use them while cooking. It's not like alexa where you just talk, it's a hand tool.

I haven't scanned anything in my fridge it wasn't able to find. If anything, it's 1.70 price tag dragged me into Amazon's grogercy system without any pain.

I think scanning adds to Amazon cart and asking to add it to shopping list adds it to the list. It's sorta a relic of how the wand used to work before Alexa came along.

but where do you see where it has been added? I logged into my Amazon account and saw nothing in the shopping lists nor in my cart. There's not even any real kind of verification for a failed scan versus a successful scan other than 'could not find this item'.

I know that it's all user error, but damn...! lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm about to pull the trigger on a dot, but I still can't find enough uses for it in my mind to justify it. I mean I keep coming up with things like order refills of things, setup calling ubers, maybe try to put together some postmates style food ordering thing and of course play music, but then I honestly think about the small difference in time between using it and my phone and I'm just not sure. One of my employees got one but he says he almost never uses it. Apparently only uses it to set cooking timers by voice command.

I want the show or the standard echo, but I'm somewhat in the same boat. I work on it and see a ton of cool uses, but I don't know how much I would utilize it. I will say the voice recognition is a step above every other one out there from what I've seen, and the amount that's planned for this family of devices is absolutely staggering. If you have several smart devices in your home, it's a no brainer, but I just don't have any of that

I'm about to pull the trigger on a dot, but I still can't find enough uses for it in my mind to justify it.

I returned my 2 dots after having them for a week. I thought having dots upstairs might be cool for controlling all my upstairs HUE lights. It's just I find using Siri to do this just as easy, and to be honest I prefer the actual app 90% of the time. I had no use for it as a music speaker since I have AppleTV 4 in my bedrooms already. I just airplay any music I want to hear.

I still like my big Echo , but I went from wanting one in every room on the first day to a month later hardly using them outside of music for kitchen or turning off the lights when I don't have my phone. That said adding Sirius to the Echo was a big plus to me.

Somnid

There is no giant thing that justifies it, nor is it really easy to see how it integrates with you beforehand. To me it was organic. It's like if you had always got up to change the channel. A remote seems silly, why not just get up? It's not like it saves you much time or effort. But after using it for a while you just can't go back. Having to manually flip light switches is a pain, kitchen timers are a thing of the past, the 7 seconds it takes to pull my phone out and check the whether is too much cognitive load because I can't multitask while tying my shoe.

I do feel that the normal Echo is the best starter option though. My wife didn't care for the Dot so we replaced it with a second Echo. There's something about the increase in audio quality that makes it feel better to interact with.

Somnid

Interesting little thing I found:

The AllRecipes skill does not require an invocation word. If you ask Alexa for a recipe it will give you one via the AllRecipes skill. I didn't really dive too deep into it with enabling and disabling or trying a different recipe skill though. The card it brings up is "Search Result" with "AllRecipes" as a subtitle so perhaps this is a preview API to allow skills to surface or initiate themselves certain information from general queries.

The Dot is perfect for me. Great price/function device.

I got my girlfriend the full Echo a long time ago, but she just uses it as a bathroom/bedroom speaker. It works great, but IMO it's just too expensive, but I'm not really an audiophile or someone who likes loud music.

The Dot we have in our kitchen (central area of the apartment and personally I think it's loud enough and has decent enough sound quality to be used for music (she likes music louder than I do though).

When we get a house I'm looking forward to getting some smart bulbs and stuff. We have some smart plugs and there pretty great for us. Not having to get up to turn off the bedroom light is nicer than I'd have thought before getting it.

I have a second Dot still in the box. The first one can hear you anywhere in the apartment. But when we get a house I'll probably put it upstairs.

What do people think about the Tap compared to the regular echo? I don't give a shit about portability, it will sit stationary on my desk.

I just bought a Dot and set it up in my living room. So far it is a nice way to turn on my Hue lights and ask silly questions I have without grabbing my phone. I think I'll eventually get a Harmony Hub to activate my entertainment center.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Finally pulled the trigger on a tap. We'll see how this goes. Wife really liked the demo in the mall. Actually understood her accent.

Is the microphone really that much worse than the dot or echo?

I have two. One in my living room and one in my bedroom. Bedroom is largely used to check weather in the morning, leave dog with music. Living room is for whenever I need a Bluetooth speaker when I have guests over, cooking timers, and occasionally asking questions.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
When the hell is whole home/audio sync launching?!

Picked up the Echo Dot yesterday when it was on sale for $30. Pretty excited about playing with this and getting it connected to my harmony hub/remote.

I've already noticed a potential issue though, I plan on hooking this up to my audio receiver for music through spotify but everything that I've read states that if the aux cable is plugged in, the internal speaker won't work. My receiver is only on when watching TV or playing games and I'm also assuming it would need to be on the right input in order to hear the echo.

Anybody know a way around this? Could I use a aux splitter and have one end going into the receiver and the other into some small speakers that is always on?

Picked up the Echo Dot yesterday when it was on sale for $30. Pretty excited about playing with this and getting it connected to my harmony hub/remote.

I've already noticed a potential issue though, I plan on hooking this up to my audio receiver for music through spotify but everything that I've read states that if the aux cable is plugged in, the internal speaker won't work. My receiver is only on when watching TV or playing games and I'm also assuming it would need to be on the right input in order to hear the echo.

Anybody know a way around this? Could I use a aux splitter and have one end going into the receiver and the other into some small speakers that is always on?

If you don't mind the hit in audio quality that comes with using Bluetooth, you can get a Bluetooth adapter to plug into one of your audio inputs on you receiver, and only connect to it when you want to play music otherwise it'll be using the internal speaker. That's probably the cleanest and easiest way to utilize both.

Top Bottom