• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon leaked Game Board Mode and Stage Builder for Super Smash Bros U.

DedValve

Banned
Not even REAL friends?

I'd prefer full online but the bare minimum I want is friends only and I'm not even expecting that, only bots so I can play by my lonesome :(
and I'm not even expecting that. 0 expectations when it comes to Nintendo and online

BY2K

Membero Americo
What is up with Nintendo and leaks, these days?

Sure, the longer they wait, the most likely it is to leak (Smash Wii U IS releasing in a month after all), but they used to be better than this.

ec0ec0

...competing in challenges crafted by Master Hand and Crazy Hand, or outwitting your opponents in a brand new board game mode...

and smash bros continues in the direction of being a collection of minigames, instead of smash bros.

Hatchtag

Banned
Come on man, you need to stop being so negative. Every post of your I've seen is about how you're let down by something.

I feel I've made plenty of positive posts, and am still very excited for the Wii U version. At the same time, the hype of the 3DS version has worn out on me after over a month of owning it, and I've found myself being let down by a lot of things in the game. There's a lot of poor design choices I fear will be repeated, though I hope to be proven wrong.

Kouriozan

Sure, the longer they wait, the most likely it is to leak (Smash Wii U IS releasing in a month after all), but they used to be better than this.
Well, Sakurai said new infos soon, leaked or not :p

udivision

and smash bros continues in the direction of being a collection of minigames, instead of smash bros.

This x10000.

It's so infuriating that they removed all the traditional battle modes (versus mode, stock, time, free for all etc...) and replaced them with Smash Run and whatever other nonsense. This has to stop.

Oh wait, that didn't happen? Nevermind then.

BraXzy

So...is Wii U the best system companion to PC gaming? Seems like it has a decent library already, none of which can be played on a PC. Smash may just push me over the edge.

It really is. I do have an Xbox One, which I use for the main multiplayer/AAA games and exclusives I don't get on PC. And then the Wii U is my happy fun time machine. Sat at my computer desk across the room, hmm maybe I'll play some Mario Kart on the gamepad. So so good.

Hopefully the minigames in the board mode (assuming they're there) are more than just Special Smash matches. I think that there's a lot of potential for minigames based on different Nintendo franchises using the Smash engine.

ec0ec0

Smash has always had minigames though.
I mean, smash is still in there? Not sure what your point is.
So you'd rather have no extra modes and just have arcade and multiplayer?

Weird. ..
This x10000.

It's so infuriating that they removed all the traditional battle modes (versus mode, stock, time, free for all etc...) and replaced them with Smash Run and whatever other nonsense. This has to stop.

Oh wait, that didn't happen? Nevermind then.
psst

hey buddy

guess what

melee had them too
You do realize that mini games have been in since the first game right?
well.. duh.
What the fuck does this even mean?

(sorry for quoting the whole thread haha :p)

Smash is still there. My problem is that its clear that the focus of the games is more on the "minigames everywhere side" after each game. I gave my opinion about this yesterday in the other thread. I would like to be able to play smash, without disabling most things, with a proper balance between the "chaotic" and "normal" side of smash. Smash only works when theres a balance. If the 3ds version is any indication, that balance is missing.

My post from yesterday: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134649652&postcount=365

Lets be clear about something: i complain about the game, but i still play it some hours every day. Its still smash bros.

First, a problem that we all have: obtaining custom moves. You probably agree with me about this, they didnt think about this much when developing the game. Not only can you get the same move multiple times, you also continue to get moves for characters even after having completed their movesets. Also, theres isnt any consistent way of obtaining them because, when aiming for the red wrench, you can also obtain equipment. You can use some "tricks" (like using the home button) to obtain them faster, but its still ridiculously slow.

About single player. Yes, i think thats its boring. More than smash bros, it feels like a collection of not so great minigames:

- Smash run is, in part, like a platformer, but i think that (with its current physics) smash bros is a really bad platformer. The "non platforming part" of smash run its not very inspired.

- Classic mode really shows the "direction" of this game. When playing it, i feel like i am fighting against all those cheap stages and crazy items (wow at many of the new ones) that are supposed to add fun. Now, after writting that, i may have given you a bad impression but, dont get me wrong, i appreciate the "chaotic" side of smash bros. Problem is, i think that it only works if theres a proper balance between the "chaotic" and the "normal" side, a balance that a think is missing. I think that the "normal" side should be able to hold itself, but its really weak this time. I am only talking about "sides" to explain what i am trying to say, in reality, theres only one because both work together. We dont need strict definitions. The "normal" side would be the basic concept of smash when it was created: characters are in a stage and they have to throw the other off the stage. The "chaotic" side would be the items that help the players archive that goal (to throw the other off stage).

-A bigger problem: the stage selection, which, again, shows the direction of this game. The focus is on gimmick stages, thats what most are. Look back at the first smash games (smash 64, melee) and there was a lot more focus of platform positioning on "normal" stages. But now it seems that items are not enough, and we need the stages to add to the "chaotic" side. I dont know why.

Theres a lot more to say about why i dont like the current direction of smash bros, or why smash bros doesnt meet my expectations for a nintendo game, but thats not the point of this post. You asked why it was boring. Those are the first things that came to my mind.

I will go as far as saying that smash 4 is a bad smash bros game. Some of the basic aspects that made smash "work" when it was created are missing. Its like if they forgot.

Now, after writting this post, i am going to try to get some custom moves :p

what him said is also important:

The fact that you can't LOWER the item frequency is certainly disheartening.

I can't believe Sakurai and team played with that many items on and thought.. 'Yes, this is perfect.' For the life of me, I can't fathom why I can't reduce the frequency of items. That's not even a 3DS limitation thing.

I don't know if this is the result of people wanting more competitive modes and features and maybe giving Sakurai a hard time for it, but I really dislike that they seem to have focused on the two extremes, with no middle ground in between..

"Oh.. you like Final Destination huh.. okay.. FINE. every stage is now final destination.. and if you like it the other way, every stage is now rainbow cruise"

"You like the extra flavor that items add to battle? Okay, here are nonstop items hailing down on you without relief"

again, theres no balance.

edited, edited, edited :p

I can already imagine a great board game mode in the style of Mario Party where instead of the typical mario party minigames after each round you have matches, both standard/team Smashes along with the slew of other special modes that you can get at the end of Smash Run on the 3DS. I guess you could collect power ups or other items during the actual "board game" part of it which would aid or hinder you in the contests.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So they took my Mario Party stage idea and turned it into its own mode.

I want royalties Nintendo!

woopWOOP

Hopefully the minigames in the board mode (assuming they're there) are more than just Special Smash matches. I think that there's a lot of potential for minigames based on different Nintendo franchises using the Smash engine.
Balloon Trip with Villagers.

Try to stay alive the longest while bumping other people into thunder sparks

(if not there has to be a Balloon Fight event match. HAS to be!)

Smash is still there. My problem is that its clear that the focus of the games is more on the "minigames everywhere side2" after each game. I gave my opinion about this yesterday in the other thread. I would like to be able to play smash, without disabling most things, with a proper balance between the "chaotic" and "normal" side of smash. Smash only works when theres a balance. If the 3ds version is any indication, that balance is missing.

My post from yesterday: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134649652&postcount=365

The fact that you can't LOWER the item frequency is certainly disheartening.

I can't believe Sakurai and team played with that many items on and thought.. 'Yes, this is perfect.' For the life of me, I can't fathom why I can't reduce the frequency of items. That's not even a 3DS limitation thing.

I don't know if this is the result of people wanting more competitive modes and features and maybe giving Sakurai a hard time for it, but I really dislike that they seem to have focused on the two extremes, with no middle ground in between..

"Oh.. you like Final Destination huh.. okay.. FINE. every stage is now final destination.. and if you like it the other way, every stage is now rainbow cruise"

"You like the extra flavor that items add to battle? Okay, here are nonstop items hailing down on you without relief"

Tregard

Soothsayer

It's been like this since we stopped getting proper Directs :/

Spinluck

(sorry for quoting the whole thread haha :p)

Smash is still there. My problem is that its clear that the focus of the games is more on the "minigames everywhere side2" after each game. I gave my opinion about this yesterday in the other thread. I would like to be able to play smash, without disabling most things, with a proper balance between the "chaotic" and "normal" side of smash. Smash only works when theres a balance. If the 3ds version is any indication, that balance is missing.

again, theres no balance.

edited, edited, edited :p

Not sure what you mean by balance, but the core game is very well there and it is very tight.

The biggest imbalance is that the game is still very defense minded instead of being in between. It is pretty damn close though, and to is the most well rounded in the series in that regard.

Smash modes are getting a little old hat to me, but it doesn't matter in the long run cause I will only play with friends anyway. So if this is adding an extra mode I can play with friends for silly fun, I'll gladly welcome it.

ec0ec0

Hatchtag

Banned
I wonder how long a typical session of this will be. Hoping for something longer, like an hour or so. Wonder if it'll be one board or multiple boards? The possibilities are endless :D.

Spinluck

balance between the "chaotic" and the "normal" side of smash, with both being part of the game at the same time. I think that what i said yesterday, its apparent for anyone that played single player on the 3ds version. Also, the "normal" side doesnt hold itself, its weak.

Well, the stages on the 3DS version suck for the most part :lol. It has some great one. The items are also pretty ridiculous, and the CPU seems A LOT better. The controls are a handicap though, I will probably get back to wrecking them on Wii U. Maybe you should lower the difficulty? I had problems when I first started playing it too.

There is no "normal" Smash that I know of. Game has many options.

Top Bottom