• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon looking to build a second HQ in North America, will add 50k jobs

It's interesting that the Boston proposal is outside of the core of the city. Do they not have parcels large enough to support it?

Philly's proposal is on top of the transit hub, literally next door to UPenn, and inside the center of the city, and less than 15 minutes to the Airport.

You know, the best part of this entire process is that it's given cities impetus to create these business plans that they can use to attract OTHER companies, even if they don't land Amazon.
Yup and it highlights how inadequate most of thier transit lines are. I'm glad big companies like Amazon are recognizing that suburban office parks are stifling innovation.

Any proposal in the city core is going to drive prices way up for Amazon. I don't know the Philly parcel, but if there's already stuff there and it's on top of a transit hub / businesses already, that's super expensive to convert.

Boston could do that, that's the seaport proposal that has some land left but would require top dollar on Amazons part and working with more developers. Widet Circle is another option, but the land there would be just as expensive and would require a build out over the highway (something that's a long term plan).

Suffolk Downs is basically ready to go, a very short trip from downtown, and can be transformed into exactly the campus they want cheaply and quickly. The only issue would be car traffic and how they mitigate it. I guess you could argue it's not as sexy a location as GE got, but the size and numbers of what Amazon wants is basically creating a new town from scratch and the place Boston is offering allows them a blank canvas to build it without any strings while meeting their criteria.

The Philly proposal of Schuylkill Yards is land owned by a single entity that is prepped for construction already, with plans in place. It's a single plot with current zoning set up for 8 million square feet and it's nearly shovel ready, with modified zoning it would allow for 17 million square feet. The costs aren't really an issue over any other construction. Construction prices in Philly are lower than similar NE cities, and costs of living are 20% lower. The initial 500,000 square foot office space is already available.

The second proposal of uCity Square would colocate their HQ2 with UPenn and Drexel University a site about three blocks from the Schuylkill Yards proposal. Zoning is in place for 8 million square feet. It is not under single ownership, but is controlled by a joint venture of companies already working together.

The third proposal is in the navy yard, which is further away and slightly less accessible by transit but is currently prepped and zoned for 11 million square feet and sits on a 1200 acre parcel less than 12 minutes mass transit commute to the center of the city/transit hub.

All three are essentially cost effective locations, but the Schuylkill Yards location is by far the best overall location. All have at least currently 3000 spaces of parking and mass transit access, with the Navy Yard site having access to 20,000 parking spaces. All three are less than 15 minutes to the airport. All three sit at on ramps to major highways.

Schuykill Yards is a beauty of a proposal. Who wouldn't want to be located right on the busiest rail corridor in the country smack dab in between the two most important destinations on that corridor, and located next door to an Ivy League university (that built the worlds first computer).

You can find the all three sites here.

Yup and it highlights how inadequate most of thier transit lines are. I'm glad big companies like Amazon are recognizing that suburban office parks are stifling innovation.

East Boston is not suburban... It's 2.5miles from the legit center of downtown Boston. By that estimation, Fenway Park would be rural if east Boston is considered suburban (~3mi from downtown).

Amazon has a presence in Vancouver and Toronto. Does that satisfy "employed by a company in Canada"?

No, because to take advantage of those rules, the person will have to work in Vancouver or Toronto, not Windsor. Our immigration agency looks at these things. If a persons paperwork says their office is at Toronto or Vancouver, and yet the person has papers pointing to a house in Windsor, that's going to cause problems. When the agents see you are crossing the border every day at Windsor, they are going to ask questions as to why you aren't in Toronto/Vancouver working. Do it enough times and they revoke your visa for having clearly lied on your application.

If Amazon locates in Detroit, Amazon is hiring Americans and bringing foreign talent in through the American Immigration system. Simultaneously those people wont be living in Canada. The only benefit for Canadians is existing Canadian Citizens who can qualify under NAFTA to work in the USA or Canada-USA Dual Citizens. Simply put, if it locates in Detroit it will only affect the USA positively and Amazon will have to attract talent to Detroit because Canada wont let USA workers live in Canada and get access to our social services for free.

Nitsuj23

No, because to take advantage of those rules, the person will have to work in Vancouver or Toronto, not Windsor. Our immigration agency looks at these things. If a persons paperwork says their office is at Toronto or Vancouver, and yet the person has papers pointing to a house in Windsor, that's going to cause problems. When the agents see you are crossing the border every day at Windsor, they are going to ask questions as to why you aren't in Toronto/Vancouver working. Do it enough times and they revoke your visa for having clearly lied on your application

Well now I'm certain you're not 100% sure of what you're talking about. These have been around for years: http://www.dwtunnel.com/NexpressToll

You don't interact with border agents with Nexpress toll. Unless the inanimate gate gains the ability to speak, no questions will be asked.

Because of how unique this is, it's silly to think you know every incentive that was offered.

Are you saying an Amazon employee that works with the Toronto or Vancouver office is disallowed from moving to Windsor? Working from home is pretty common in tech. Are foreign workers that have Visas in Canada restricted to living in within a certain distance from the physical building?

Can they buy property anywhere in Canada? If so, do they still have to maintain another residence in the same city as the physical building?

Well now I'm certain you're not 100% sure of what you're talking about. These have been around for years: http://www.dwtunnel.com/NexpressToll

You don't interact with border agents in the tunnel. Unless the inanimate gate gains the ability to speak.

Because of how unique this is, it's silly to think you know every incentive that was offered.

Dude, I'm from Windsor. You are pointing to a toll card that is for paying the toll for using the Infrastructure at the Tunnel. It has nothing to do with Immigration. You still have to talk to stop by customs to talk to the border guards at the booths or immigration to get into Canada/USA. Yes there are special Nexas Cards, but that is only a pre-screen program available to Permanent Residents/Citizens of Canada/USA so that they can access a dedicated lane at the border which asks less questions on the way across.

Even if you were talking about Nexus however, it does not give people the right to live in the other country. In fact it is illegal to spend more than half of your year in Canada/USA without proper paperwork.

What you were originally trying to allude to. That an Amazon in Detroit could hire people and locate them in Canada is patently false... unless they already fit under a small set of criteria. Amazon in the USA would be under USA laws and would have to hire Americans, or get foreign talent (which will have to be willing to move to Detroit because they can't live in Canada... unless they are already Canadian)

Are you saying an Amazon employee that works with the Toronto or Vancouver office is disallowed from moving to Windsor? Working from home is pretty common in tech. Are foreign workers that have Visas in Canada restricted to living in within a certain distance from the physical building?

Can they buy property anywhere in Canada? If so, do they still have to maintain another residence in the same city as the physical building?
They could live anywhere in Canada that they wanted. But as you say, they would have to be working from home or commuting to an office located in Canada. At the same time though, Immigration will scrutinize that. "Why do you need to live in Canada if you are a work-from-home employee" for example. If they on a somewhat regular basis started crossing the Windsor Border, that would be flagged because that would be a Canadian Employee to a Canadian Branch Corporation crossing the border for work in the USA without proper USA Visas. "Why are you crossing the Windsor border every single day at the same time? Are you crossing for work?"

Simply put, the Canadian-USA Border is open, but not that open. We are not the EU with 100% Free Movement. You still need permits and visas if you want to live or work in the other country. Foreign Talent subsequently can not live in the other country without additional permits that the other country will not want to hand out.

To put into point form
Amazon Locates in Detroit
* Hiring Americans
* Hiring Canadians/Mexicans (Through NAFTA)
* Hiring Foreign workers (Through the American Immigration and Visa System)
* Foreign Talent has to live in the USA.
* Has to use USA Offices
Amazon Locates in Windsor/Canada
* Hiring Canadians
* Hiring Americans/Mexicans (Through NAFTA)
* Hiring Foreign workers (Through the Canadian Immigration and Visa system)
* Foreign Talent has to live in Canada
* Has to use Canadian Offices.

Therefore, an Amazon in Detroit has to be able to convince people to move to Detroit (or convince Canadians who can get through USA Immigration to move to Windsor)

Just saw my local township in Southery Jersey put in a bid for the HQ. It’s such a dump here they’d have to be crazy to even consider it. I don’t know why they bothered.

Zoe

Just saw my local township in Southery Jersey put in a bid for the HQ. It’s such a dump here they’d have to be crazy to even consider it. I don’t know why they bothered.

There are definitely municipalities putting in bids just for the publicity to attract other business.

Nitsuj23

Dude, I'm from Windsor. You are pointing to a toll card that is for paying the toll for using the Infrastructure at the Tunnel. It has nothing to do with Immigration. You still have to talk to stop by customs to talk to the border guards at the booths or immigration to get into Canada/USA. Yes there are special Nexas Cards, but that is only a pre-screen program available to Permanent Residents/Citizens of Canada/USA so that they can access a dedicated lane at the border which asks less questions on the way across.

Even if you were talking about Nexus however, it does not give people the right to live in the other country. In fact it is illegal to spend more than half of your year in Canada/USA without proper paperwork.

What you were originally trying to allude to. That an Amazon in Detroit could hire people and locate them in Canada is patently false... unless they already fit under a small set of criteria. Amazon in the USA would be under USA laws and would have to hire Americans, or get foreign talent (which will have to be willing to move to Detroit because they can't live in Canada... unless they are already Canadian)

Yes I'm talking about the Nexus card. I literally linked the Nexpress page in the quote you're responding to...
Nexpress® Toll is a pre-paid account allowing users to cross the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel hassle free. With Nexpress®, you simply drive through any toll lane with your Windshield Tag, or wave your Nexpress® Card and the gate will open. Your account will be deducted only $3.95 per trip in your preferred currency. You do not need to have a Nexus card to use Nexpress® Toll.
Once you receive your Nexpress® Windshield Tag, place it in the upper left corner of the primary vehicle's windshield. Approach any lane slowly so the tag can be read for the gate to raise. Toll will automatically be deducted from your account in the currency selectly upon sign up.

Really struggling to find anything about interacting with a border agent on that page for Nexus card owners. Do gates ask less questions than humans? Or no questions at all?

I didn't suggest a Nexpress card, of all things, is indicator of residency or citizenship. I'm using it as an example of the way thousands of Canadians commute to work every day.

Where on the residency page does it say you're required to be employed by a Canadian company?

They could live anywhere in Canada that they wanted. But as you say, they would have to be working from home or commuting to an office located in Canada. At the same time though, Immigration will scrutinize that. "Why do you need to live in Canada if you are a work-from-home employee" for example. If they on a somewhat regular basis started crossing the Windsor Border, that would be flagged because that would be a Canadian Employee to a Canadian Branch Corporation crossing the border for work in the USA without proper USA Visas. "Why are you crossing the Windsor border every single day at the same time? Are you crossing for work?"

Simply put, the Canadian-USA Border is open, but not that open. We are not the EU with 100% Free Movement. You still need permits and visas if you want to live or work in the other country. Foreign Talent subsequently can not live in the other country without additional permits that the other country will not want to hand out.
Can you link me to a case of this happening? I'd love to read more. You must have some knowledge of the immigration office doing this, right? Why do you keep insinuating the gates talk. There are thousands of Canadians that work in Metro Detroit every single day.

Canada seems pretty accepting of people.

Forbes's top 5 is:

Atlanta
Austin
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Boston

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcia...quarters-in-1-of-these-5-cities/#705c541d6168

It seems to be based on nothing though, but it will probably go to one of these.

It will never cease blowing my mind that people keep putting Pittsburgh on these lists over Philadelphia. Pittsburgh has a higher per capita murder rate, has worse mass transit, less educational institution availability, and is located further from power brokers on the East Coast, has less art and cultural availability, and a smaller workforce to draw from than Philadelphia. Yet it's constantly in these lists. I think it's a great city but it really never makes sense that it keeps getting so much attention.

The Moody's analysis mentioned in this article puts Philly at the top of their list, if you factor in geography.

Pyrokai

It will never cease blowing my mind that people keep putting Pittsburgh on these lists over Philadelphia. Pittsburgh has a higher per capita murder rate, has worse mass transit, less educational institution availability, and is located further from power brokers on the East Coast, has less art and cultural availability, and a smaller workforce to draw from than Philadelphia. Yet it's constantly in these lists. I think it's a great city but it really never makes sense that it keeps getting so much attention.

The Moody's analysis mentioned in this article puts Philly at the top of their list, if you factor in geography.

I keep thinking that this list is pretty accurate. Throw Philly on there if you want and it's a pretty solid list. I don't view Pittsburgh as an outlier there.

Any place I can view all the proposals? I live in Columbus and would like to see what we submitted but I can't find anything.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Yes I'm talking about the Nexus card. I literally linked the Nexpress page in the quote you're responding to...

Really struggling to find anything about interacting with a border agent on that page for Nexus card owners. Do gates ask less questions than humans? Or no questions at all?

I didn't suggest a Nexpress card, of all things, is indicator of residency or citizenship. I'm using it as an example of the way thousands of Canadians commute to work every day.

Where on the residency page does it say you're required to be employed by a Canadian company?

Can you link me to a case of this happening? I'd love to read more. You must have some knowledge of the immigration office doing this, right? Why do you keep insinuating the gates talk. There are thousands of Canadians that work in Metro Detroit every single day.

Canada seems pretty accepting of people.

Dude, you have no clue. You need to be at least a permanent resident to get a nexus card. Also, you will get your work visa withdrawn if it turns you aren't working where you actually claim you are. Even if you were able to somehow get a Nexus card, you are still subject to the supervision of border security and there is a good chance they will discover you. No way Amazon is going to hire people and encourage them to break the conditions of their work visa based on the probability that no one will find out.

Hari Seldon

I'm the wrong person to critique Philly, as I'm a Pens fan and obviously I hate Philly (lol Flyers). But the main serious thing that I hate about Philly is that the airport is a god damn dump lol. But why Pittsburgh is making these lists is due to momentum. They snagged Uber's entire robotic car R&D division, have a tier 1 Google location, and all of this while maintaining a really low cost of living if you want to live urban. I don't think Pittsburgh is very realistic though, Amazon is likely going to choose a larger city.

I'm the wrong person to critique Philly, as I'm a Pens fan and obviously I hate Philly (lol Flyers). But the main serious thing that I hate about Philly is that the airport is a god damn dump lol. But why Pittsburgh is making these lists is due to momentum. They snagged Uber's entire robotic car R&D division, have a tier 1 Google location, and all of this while maintaining a really low cost of living if you want to live urban. I don't think Pittsburgh is very realistic though, Amazon is likely going to choose a larger city.

Pittsburgh has a ton going for it, I'm not down on it generally speaking, but you say stuff like "oh Uber and Google came here" and that's all well and good but there are tech companies in every major city. I mean, the Philadelphia area has the North American Headquarters of SAP, which is one of the largest software companies in the world. It's got Comcast which is one of the largest technology companies in the world and the 4th largest corporate VC investor in software startups in the entire US. It's got Ebay Enterprise, the software division of Ebay dedicated to their entire enterprise tier of software offerings. The US Chamber of Commerce just rated Philadelphia the 3rd best city in the country for startups.

Point is, every major city in the country has big time tech talent like that. When you have a bigger city with bigger tech powerhouses in a better location in the same state, it doesn't make sense to ignore it over a smaller city that offers less, does it? It's nothing against Pittsburgh as it's a fantastic place, it just seems unrealistic to me.

Nitsuj23

Dude, you have no clue. You need to be at least a permanent resident to get a nexus card. Also, you will get your work visa withdrawn if it turns you aren't working where you actually claim you are. Even if you were able to somehow get a Nexus card, you are still subject to the supervision of border security and there is a good chance they will discover you. No way Amazon is going to hire people and encourage them to break the conditions of their work visa based on the probability that no one will find out.

Okay dude, I just read through the residency page (which I also mentioned in the post you're quoting) and did not see major hurdles to acquiring permanent residency.

Of course border security is present. With a Nexpress you don't interact with them. Why is there a good chance they'll discover you when there are 6,000+ people that do it everyday?

Why don't you back up your claims with sources?

I love how you say "somehow get a Nexpress" card as if there's some gigantic obstacle. It's three fucking steps:
1uZLfeW.png

Nexpress and Nexus are two different things. Nexpress is a fare card to pay the toll. Nexus is a special border crossing program that allows you access to a dedicated Customs Lane. Here, using your same quote
Nexpress® Toll is a pre-paid account allowing users to cross the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel hassle free. With Nexpress®, you simply drive through any toll lane with your Windshield Tag, or wave your Nexpress® Card and the gate will open. Your account will be deducted only $3.95 per trip in your preferred currency. You do not need to have a Nexus card to use Nexpress® Toll.

On that same website you posted. Click the Customs Link
If you are planning to cross the Windsor Detroit border, you are required to present one of the following documents
ONE OF THE TRUSTED TRAVELER PROGRAM CARDS
NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards can speed your entry into the U.S. and are issued only to pre-approved, low-risk travelers.

When you have a Nexus card, you still have to stop at the border and talk to a regular human.
How to use the NEXUS lane by road (Source: http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/travel/nexus-lane-instructions-for-usa-canada-border)
You cannot use the NEXUS lanes if you have goods to declare beyond your personal limit for each country.
When you reach the US Canada border in your vehicle you should follow these instructions:

* Pull into the NEXUS lane and STOP your vehicle
* Hold your NEXUS cards before the card reader
* Pull up at the customs booth for a visual check (if necessary you may be selected for a random or * special vehicle check and directed to an inspection area)
* Drive across the border

Canada seems pretty accepting of people
With that out of the way. Now, you are linking to getting a Canadian Permanent Residency. That is completely different from the visa system and also a million times harder to get into. In addition, we cap the number of people we grant permanent residency to. For good reason too. Permanent residency is essentially citizenship without the right to vote (and has residency requirements). You can not on a whim just decide you want to become a permanent resident. It requires years of paperwork, and actually living in the country under legal means (through various Visas) in order to gain the option of applying.

A Foreign Talent (defined as Not American or Canadian) that Amazon brings in to work in an HQ in Detroit HAS TO LIVE IN AMERICA. They can not get Canadian Permanent Residency. They can not get a Canadian VISA. They can not live in Canada. They can not work in Canada. If Amazon brought them in under an office in Toronto or Vancouver, then it's the exact same previous sentence, but replace every single "Canada" with "USA". If Amazon is hiring foreign talent, said foreign talent has to live in the country they are being hired into.

We are not the European Union. We do not have 100% Free Movement of labour. We still have Borders that you have to pass through and speak to agents at, however slack they may be. Canadians that work in the USA can do so because they either have obtained a Workplace Visa, they have a Greencard/PR/Citizenship in said opposite country. They can not work in the other country without one of those items.

Of course border security is present. Why is there a good chance they'll discover you when there are 6,000+ people that do it everyday?

Why don't you back up your claims with sources?

I love how you say "somehow get a Nexpress" card as if there's some gigantic obstacle. It's three fucking steps:

Foreign Talent that Amazon would bring into a Detroit HQ would not be eligible for a Nexus Card. As a result they would have to use the regular border crossings. When doing so they have to show up with their Passport and Work Visa. They also get to play 50 questions with the border guard about what their purpose for entering the country is, how long they will be staying, how much they plan to spend and when they can expect you back. They note your answers to these questions in their computer system and they pull up this information and review it every time you pull up to the border window. You may also be asked to go inside to go speak to an Immigration Employee at a counter for further review of your paperwork if anything sparks the border guard into thinking something fishy is going on. Their systems are also automated to the point of telling guards to forward people inside immediately if it detects any patterns.

Now tell me. If a Person arrives at the Windsor-Detroit Border with a Passport from say the UK, and a Work Visa in the USA twice a day. Once at 9am going to Detroit and again at 5pm going to Windsor. And they do this every day for even a week. what do you think the border guard is going to do?

Remember, this person doesn't have proper permits to Live in Canada. Proper permits defined as a Canadian Citizen, Canadian PR, Canadian Refugee or a Canadian Visa holder.

Any Mexican cities apply yet??
Mexico City is the largest city in North America, and the peso -> Dollar ratio is really good for Amaon. It would also piss off Donald Trump so so much if Amazon chose to "move to Mexico" over staying in the USA

Nitsuj23

Nexpress and Nexus are two different things. Nexpress is a fare card to pay the toll. Nexus allows you access to a dedicated Customs Lane. Here, using your same quote

On that same website you posted. Click the Customs Link

When you have a Nexus card, you still have to stop at the border and talk to a regular human.

With that out of the way. Now, you are linking to getting a Canadian Permanent Residency. That is completely different from the visa system and also a million times harder to get into. In addition, we cap the number of people we grant permanent residency to. For good reason too. Permanent residency is essentially citizenship without the right to vote (and has residency requirements). You can not on a whim just decide you want to become a permanent resident. It requires years of paperwork, and actually living in the country under legal means (through various Visas) in order to gain the option of applying.

A Foreign Talent (defined as Not American or Canadian) that Amazon brings in to work in an HQ in Detroit HAS TO LIVE IN AMERICA. They can not get Canadian Permanent Residency. They can not get a Canadian VISA. They can not live in Canada. They can not work in Canada. If Amazon brought them in under an office in Toronto or Vancouver, then it's the exact same previous sentence, but replace every single "Canada" with "USA". If Amazon is hiring foreign talent, said foreign talent has to live in the country they are being hired into.

We are not the European Union. We do not have 100% Free Movement of labour. We still have Borders that you have to pass through and speak to agents at, however slack they may be. Canadians that work in the USA can do so because they either have obtained a Workplace Visa, they have a Greencard/PR/Citizenship in said opposite country. They can not work in the other country without one of those items.

Foreign Talent that Amazon would bring into a Detroit HQ would not be eligible for a Nexus Card. As a result they would have to use the regular border crossings. When doing so they have to show up with their Passport and Work Visa. They also get to play 50 questions with the border guard about what their purpose for entering the country is, how long they will be staying, how much they plan to spend and when they can expect you back. They note your answers to these questions in their computer system and they pull up this information and review it every time you pull up to the border window. You may also be asked to go inside to go speak to an Immigration Employee at a counter for further review of your paperwork if anything sparks the border guard into thinking something fishy is going on. Their systems are also automated to the point of telling guards to forward people inside immediately if it detects any patterns.

Now tell me. If a Person arrives at the Windsor-Detroit Border with a Passport from say the UK, and a Work Visa in the USA twice a day. Once at 9am going to Detroit and again at 5pm going to Windsor. And they do this every day for even a week. what do you think the border guard is going to do?

Remember, this person doesn't have proper permits to Live in Canada. Proper permits defined as a Canadian Citizen, Canadian PR, Canadian Refugee or a Canadian Visa holder.

WHAT IS NEXPRESS® TOLL?

Nexpress® Toll is a pre-paid account allowing users to cross the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel hassle free. With Nexpress®, you simply drive through any toll lane with your Windshield Tag, or wave your Nexpress® Card and the gate will open. Your account will be deducted only $3.95 per trip in your preferred currency. You do not need to have a Nexus card to use Nexpress® Toll. Please note, Nexpress® Toll is only accepted at the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windsoront...or_advice_on/dbkw7mb/?st=j90cv1kp&sh=df37835e

someone who actually does this said:
I live in the south end of the city and work in Troy (16 mile rd and John R). I am about 11-15 minutes from the border depending on traffic/route/light timing. I usually leave home around 715 and get to the office at 8. You want to take the tunnel over the bridge, 90% chance unless you really live in the west end.

With respect to taxes, I recommend getting an accountant. It just makes life easier. You'll be down a few hundred dollars from your return, but you don't want to mess up filing in two countries! Especially as your life progresses (home ownership), there are very different tax rules. You get credited for your us taxes paid under schedule 25 of NAFTA. I owe 750 a year for the Ontario healthcare premium, and that's it.

Nexus can take months. A nexpress pass takes weeks. It gives you a discount on tunnel fees. Also gives you access to more toll gates (but not Nexus passport gates. Small tunnel protip: on the Detroit side, the second from the right passport gate car line feeds two gates, so it may look longest but it's often the fastest.

I m also a non-Windsor native. I first rented a house here for 850/month + utils in the tecumseh and dougall area. I had no issues. Walkerville is a nice area with some walkable bar area. Not much for apartments but they exist and lots of rentable duplexes in that area (which i think also run in the 800-900 range but that's only experience from two friends who shared a place there).

Oh for fucks sake. I give up. You are wrong about how the border works. 100%, plain and simple. There is no room for negotiation. I dont know how many times I can repeat the same basic information on how the border works before you get it. The Nexpress card is not the same as a Nexus card. One pays the mandatory toll for using the Tunnel (and gives you discounts). The other is an identification Card that allows you to get through customs faster.

- To qualify for Nexus you need to be a Canadian/USA Citizen/PR.
- No matter what customs is mandatory.
- Amazon HQ in Detroit has to Hire Americans or People who can get in through the USA Immigration system
- Amazon HQ in Detroit has to attract employees to Detroit or Michigan because those people can't live in Canada unless they fit the requirements listed next
- Amazon HQ in Detroit can not hire employees and tell them they can live in Canada unless they are a Canadian Citizen/Canadian PR/Canadian Refugee/Canadian Work Visa Holder

You said you have to talk to border agents with a Nexpress. People that make the commute and the actual website says otherwise.

Nexpress isn't Nexus. They still have to talk to border

Nitsuj23

Oh for fucks sake. I give up. You are wrong about how the border works. 100%, plain and simple. There is no room for negotiation. The Nexpress card is not the same as a Nexus card. One pays the mandatory toll for using the Tunnel (and gives you discounts). The other is an identification Card that allows you to get through customs faster.

No matter what customs is mandatory.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windsoront...or_advice_on/dbkw7mb/?st=j90cv1kp&sh=df37835e

someone who actually does this said:
I live in the south end of the city and work in Troy (16 mile rd and John R). I am about 11-15 minutes from the border depending on traffic/route/light timing. I usually leave home around 715 and get to the office at 8. You want to take the tunnel over the bridge, 90% chance unless you really live in the west end.

With respect to taxes, I recommend getting an accountant. It just makes life easier. You'll be down a few hundred dollars from your return, but you don't want to mess up filing in two countries! Especially as your life progresses (home ownership), there are very different tax rules. You get credited for your us taxes paid under schedule 25 of NAFTA. I owe 750 a year for the Ontario healthcare premium, and that's it.

Nexus can take months. A nexpress pass takes weeks. It gives you a discount on tunnel fees. Also gives you access to more toll gates (but not Nexus passport gates. Small tunnel protip: on the Detroit side, the second from the right passport gate car line feeds two gates, so it may look longest but it's often the fastest.

I m also a non-Windsor native. I first rented a house here for 850/month + utils in the tecumseh and dougall area. I had no issues. Walkerville is a nice area with some walkable bar area. Not much for apartments but they exist and lots of rentable duplexes in that area (which i think also run in the 800-900 range but that's only experience from two friends who shared a place there).

You said you have to talk to border agents with a Nexpress. People that make the commute and the actual website says otherwise.

East Boston is not suburban... It's 2.5miles from the legit center of downtown Boston. By that estimation, Fenway Park would be rural if east Boston is considered suburban (~3mi from downtown).
I'm not talking about Boston. Boston is doing it right in my books.

It's the other metro areas I'm talking about. No, trying to highlight your one rail line isn't enough that probably has twenty minute head ways.

Forbes's top 5 is:

Atlanta
Austin
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Boston

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcia...quarters-in-1-of-these-5-cities/#705c541d6168

It seems to be based on nothing though, but it will probably go to one of these.

I could see this being the case. Those are all pretty good top choices

Any Mexican cities apply yet??
Mexico City is the largest city in North America, and the peso -> Dollar ratio is really good for Amaon. It would also piss off Donald Trump so so much if Amazon chose to "move to Mexico" over staying in the USA
Actually, I was wondering this too. It is a North American competition, so one would presume that cities in Mexico would try and gain the prize as well

Lombax

Banned
Boston plan was release yesterday and it's very aggressive. Uses the Suffolk Downs property, obviously. What's is missing a tax writeoff, which other New England cities like Worcester are offering.

I mean I get why they would put it there the land is just sitting there, but holy shit that is going to become a traffic nightmare! in terms of accessibility its horrid as well.

1A is already a shit show, it will be fun to see what an influx of 50k does to the area. I get that its all about winning the contract / contest, but Boston really needs to take a step back and consider the fact that the cities infrastructure needs to be updated and address the needs of the current population.

I am guessing that Boston used up all its tax breaks getting companies to move into the seaport years ago.

Nitsuj23

Nexpress isn't Nexus. They still have to talk to border
idk if I should believe you or the Nexpress website
the nexpress website said:
WHAT IS NEXPRESS® TOLL?

Nexpress® Toll is a pre-paid account allowing users to cross the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel hassle free. With Nexpress®, you simply drive through any toll lane with your Windshield Tag, or wave your Nexpress® Card and the gate will open. Your account will be deducted only $3.95 per trip in your preferred currency. You do not need to have a Nexus card to use Nexpress® Toll. Please note, Nexpress® Toll is only accepted at the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel.

I fyou have logistics experience, the Amazon distribution center that opened in Milford is having trouble with staffing. Though, I'd imagine like 95% of positions there are for warehouse floor staff. They haven't been able to fill the positions.
Wow I didn't even know one was there. I live right at the 93/95 clover. That would be a hell of a commute. I just took a walk in Bedford and it took me 55 min. to drive home. Holy shit!! Maybe I take back what I said. My longest cummute ever in 25 yrs of work has been 10 min. Now a Somerville Assembly Row plant would be even better.

idk if I should believe you or the Nexpress website

The Border has two gates. Gate #1 is Customs. Gate #2 is Tolls

Nexus works on Gate Number 1
Nexpress works on Gate Number 2

If you have ever used a land border, you would know this. I lived in Windsor my entire life, I have personal experience on how this works. You're wrong and you would know that if you read over everything I've quoted from and if you actually read over the website you are quoting from which states that you are wrong.

The Tunnel is not a border. The tunnel is a tunnel that connects two border checkpoints. You still have to visit a border checkpoint and which checkpoint you go to at the border depends on if you have a Nexus Prescreen card or not. Also please stop PMing me your arguments. This is my last comment on this topic, I'm done.

Mr.Mike

I know a guy who had to move from Windsor all the way to Detroit for an internship at Amazon, although I'm not sure if that was a visa thing or just Amazon not letting him take cash instead of help paying rent because he was from a different country.

I'd imagine if Amazon HQ2 came to Detroit they might have at least 1 building in Windsor for talent they could get into Canada but not the US. Although if they were that concerned about tightening immigration laws in the US they might just go to Toronto.

PS. Also don't ever cross the border if you've had some sort of medical test/scan involving radiation recently.

Nitsuj23

So the global workers would be living and working in Windsor.

Well Windsor was included in Detroit-Windsor's joint bid.

http://www.detroitmovestheworld.com/ said:
Detroit is a globally connected region, located immediately on an international border. The result is a global community that enjoys easy, frequent access to the offerings of two different countries including talent, commerce, recreation, and culture. Functioning as an international, two-city team, more than 6,000 people living in Canada make the daily commute to Detroit through an easily accessible tunnel or bridge. Here, bridges truly unite us.
http://www.globaldetroit.com/partner-initiatives/nearshoring/ said:
American businesses, particularly in industries critical to the new economy, can face significant hurdles to engaging the world's most talented workers because of restrictive U.S. immigration laws. Since the H-1B skilled worker visa cap was rolled back to 65,000, the demand by U.S. firms for these visas has far exceeded the supply, usually surpassing the cap only days after the application period is opened. As a result, U.S. firms have been forced to locate facilities in other countries where immigration laws allow them to hire such workers.

Slo

So just to be clear, if NeoGaf posters argue hard enough and win this thread, does that force Amazon to build in Detroit?

Slo

As a software guy working for a Minneapolis company, the only other city in the Midwest that I'd consider moving to for work would be Chicago. Otherwise it's fucksville to flyover country. I'd be on my way to SV/Seattle/NYC/Boston. Probably in that order.

Mikey Jr.

Can someone give me some info on what this place actually is?

I just see 50k jobs!

50k people doing what? Still don't understand what this place is tbh.

Pittsburgh has a booming tech industry, CMU, Pitt, proximity to Penn State, affordable living, a lot of space. There is a reason Google and Uber came here.

Name another in contention pioneering self driving cars, has an Oculus HQ, Google HQ, an upcoming Apple expansion, and Intel. I'll wait.

Detroit is pioneering self driving cars as much or more than Pittsburgh. Google and Apple have regional branches all over the country. Hundreds of other massive software companies do too. Tech isn't just big in one spot in this country. Research Triangle has it. Bethesda has it. Austin has it. They are all regions that are comparable to Pittsburgh. X cities burgeoning tech scene is not a factor because most major cities have burgeoning tech scenes.

Top Bottom