• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon looking to build a second HQ in North America, will add 50k jobs

Two Words

So how much of a chance does Dallas have in this? I feel like Dallas would give them a lot of things Seattle doesn’t have. There is a shot load of relatively cheap land in Dallas. This is a good area for a tech company. It’s not Silicon Valley, but they already have that in Seattle.

kswiston

I know a guy who had to move from Windsor all the way to Detroit for an internship at Amazon, although I'm not sure if that was a visa thing or just Amazon not letting him take cash instead of help paying rent because he was from a different country.

I'd imagine if Amazon HQ2 came to Detroit they might have at least 1 building in Windsor for talent they could get into Canada but not the US. Although if they were that concerned about tightening immigration laws in the US they might just go to Toronto.

PS. Also don't ever cross the border if you've had some sort of medical test/scan involving radiation recently.

I know multiple people living in Windsor who work at Amazon in Detroit. Maybe hiring new people in Canada will get more difficult going forward, but they were already doing it at that location.

Mr.Mike

I know multiple people living in Windsor who work at Amazon in Detroit. Maybe hiring new people in Canada will get more difficult going forward, but they were already doing it at that location.

I know people do that, but the suggestion was that people could immigrate to Canada and then commute to the US to work, and I don't think that's gonna happen.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Okay dude, I just read through the residency page (which I also mentioned in the post you're quoting) and did not see major hurdles to acquiring permanent residency.

Of course border security is present. With a Nexpress you don't interact with them. Why is there a good chance they'll discover you when there are 6,000+ people that do it everyday?

Why don't you back up your claims with sources?

I love how you say "somehow get a Nexpress" card as if there's some gigantic obstacle. It's three fucking steps:

Have you ever crossed the border? Do you have any experience with any of this?

1) you need 5 years to acquire permanent residency. Source: what you just linked to.

2) people get pulled over and have their nexus revoked all the time. For the 1000th time, This is not the same thing as an nexpress card. This is an official document used to clear you for easier crossings by border security. Stop posting about the nexpress card, it has nothing to do with anything. Source: google what a nexus card is and what a nexpress card is.

3) you do interact with border security even with a nexus card. Source: google it.

4) even if you were right about anything. amazon is not going to set up their business based on a plan that requires their workers to secretly violate the terms of their work visas. Source: use your fucking head.

emag

I think new tech companies should consider the Midwest. Seriously. Cheaper cost of living. Plenty of workers. More space.

Nobody wants to live in the Midwest. Chicago and maybe Minneapolis are okay, but they've no match for the NE corridor or the west coast.

Source: Fled Indiana as soon as I got a job elsewhere.

Joeytj

Banned
I could see this being the case. Those are all pretty good top choices

Actually, I was wondering this too. It is a North American competition, so one would presume that cities in Mexico would try and gain the prize as well

We don't have the infrastructure for something like Amazon's HQ in Mexico, honestly.

Mexico City for now is unlikely to receive any large foreign investment, because of the earthquake.

Maybe Monterrey and Guadalajara, but Guadalajara would be too far.

Monterrey probably beats Guadalajara in infrastructure a bit, but it's still pretty far from other major American cities.

Tijuana would be a plausible candidate, thanks to being next to San Diego and L.A., but we have even less infrastructure here than in Monterrey and Guadalajara. Zero mass transit, for starters.

Chula Vista, the second largest city in San Diego County, is also getting serious about a bid and has promoted it's proximity to Mexico as a cultural and economic plus, but still being near a top tech city like San Diego.

Ecotic

Chicago really does need this. They haven't been America's 'second city' for a while. It would especially be a huge blow if Los Angeles gets it instead.

Anion

Name another in contention pioneering self driving cars, has an Oculus HQ, Google HQ, an upcoming Apple expansion, and Intel. I'll wait.
In terms of bigger companies that’s true. Pittsburgh has something more tho lol. It has a ton of startups that have gotten big. Like NoWait and a ton of random developers.

Korey

Name another in contention pioneering self driving cars, has an Oculus HQ, Google HQ, an upcoming Apple expansion, and Intel. I'll wait.

This is so desperate it's hilarious.

Same arguments as Detroit. Is this how all midwest cities with a small satellite office from a tech company see themselves?

Google has 22 offices in the US.

Intel has 61 offices in the US, none of which are in Pittsburgh. Were you confusing it for some Intel side project?

Apple is also in a shitload of cities across the US.

Sounds just like Austin.

The Bay Area? And yes, they have pitched for an Amazon HQ.

This is so desperate it's hilarious.

Same arguments as Detroit. Is this how all 5th tier midwest cities with a small satellite office from a tech company see themselves?

Google has 22 offices in the US.

Intel has 61 offices in the US, none of which are in Pittsburgh. Were you confusing it for some Intel side project?

Apple is also in a shitload of cities across the US.

This is my point. Tech is burgeoning in a ton of places. Pittsburgh is great but it's at a disadvantage in my eyes by being a smaller city. Every city in the NE, a few in the Midwest, and a few in the south have the same qualifications. That's writing off the west coast due to being too close to their existing HQ.

The list, factoring in geography, is Atlanta, Boston, DC, Philly. If you have the Midwest and south it's Austin, Dallas, Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit.

Recent events ruined this for Miami and Houston.

Top Bottom