• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon no longer selling Versus XIII?

doemaaan

A million times this. First time I heard of Versus I thought it was fucking Dissidia.

Naming a game <Franchise> Versus pretty makes you think it'll be a competitive or fighting game in 99% of the cases.

Not the first time I've heard that and won't be the last. Still, it doesn't have to be renamed 15, as some people think it will be.

I think it's a testament to Square Enix's history that they can be both one of the most reviled publishers of this generation (following the XIII/XIV fiasco) and yet probably have the most wanted title at E3.
People may have criticized them this generation but they're far from irrelevant. Keep hope alive!

Reveirg

I wonder how people would react if all they'd show at E3 is FFXV, a completely new game, with no mention of Versus XIII at all.

"Quietly cancelled" just as Kotaku "revealed" a few months back.

Then again, they did show a drawing of Noctis a few months ago hehehe

Foffy

Banned
I think it's a testament to Square Enix's history that they can be both one of the most reviled publishers of this generation (following the XIII/XIV fiasco) and yet probably have the most wanted title at E3.
People may have criticized them this generation but they're far from irrelevant. Keep hope alive!

And what game would that be?

Kyoufu

And what game would that be?

Versus XIII of course!

I wonder how people would react if all they'd show at E3 is FFXV, a completely new game, with no mention of Versus XIII at all.

With Noctis merchandise coming just days after E3, I don't think they'd cancel it :p

Maybe, but money is finite. So are people. You have budgets. What do those teams do? And who do you delegate projects to if people who you trust enough to lead are busy with other things? Eidos was a smart acquisition in my eyes. And those IPs are valuable. I'm confident SCE would love to have them.

SE needs to learn that not everything needs to sell 5 million. A handful of titles reach beyond that level. A game which is handled responsibly from a financial standpoint could sell 2-3 million and still be profitable. If you're to able to provide some consistency, you can have a very strong portfolio. Plus, it's a strategic move to have a mixture of Western oriented and Eastern oriented titles. Different cultures, different teams, different IPs, and different creations for the future too.

Hopefully having individual Western development and Japanese development will stop SE attempting to have Japanese software appeal to the west (and thus ruining their appeal to the majority of people.)

zeopower6

Yeah. I'm not sure where you're going with this though. :p

I was going for "They can simultaneous develop titles but we probably won't hear about it from them so that they don't repeat what happened with FNC and the looooong delay" but... I'm not entirely sure that makes sense in the conversation >_<~ Sorry about that.

With all of our evidence and deductions Versus has to show. It just has to.

That being said everyone has a little part of them that is being skeptical. Which is fine and I get it. We've been through this so many times only to be burned. However, this time really is different. We've all put our chips in. It's time to roll the dice and see if we all made the right call in a few days.

The evidence from SE is also pointing at the game showing. Didn't someone on their side say that even though it was missing TGS last year, we'd probably get more news from them in 2013? The only question is in what form? At this point "Versus XIII" as we knew it before probably no longer exists, but just what will it be called then? What has changed in the last 2 years since they last shown us something from the game?

Persona86

Banned
This thread...this.....this...

2NlHy5K.gif

hug-o.gif

Foffy

Banned
Versus XIII of course!

Seriously? Like, I get people are hyped for a game that's essentially been in development hell for years, but most hyped game? Even after the 2011 trailer, I don't see how this can be the most hyped game at E3 unless they've totally redid everything. It looks similar to a Kingdom Hearts game in terms of how it looks to play, and hasn't popularity on that waned over the years?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I swear to you, it's almost exclusively Gaf. Nowhere else do I see the fandom for Nomura that Gaf gives him.

Verendus

Banned
Hey, Verendus. When you said FF15 and FF16 are underway, did you mean FF15 is a separate project from Versus XIII? You said Versus XIII would drop the "Versus XIII," but never mentioned its new name.

Unless it's just... Final Fantasy. (I joke, but it makes sense with Verendus' wording. If it drops "Versus XIII," all that's left is Final Fantasy.)

Are you able to say if there's any credence to the VGLeaks rumors that Sony's co-developing?
I would like to know this as well.
The post was worded that way for a specific reason. Won't say why now. Will say when you see 'Versus'. It makes perfect sense though.

There is some truth to the leak from VGLeaks, but exaggerated and probably kind of misunderstood too.

Hopefully having individual Western development and Japanese development will stop SE attempting to have Japanese software appeal to the west (and thus ruining their appeal to the majority of people.)
It should.

If you have something successful, you should understand why, and continue to refine it. It's an unnecessary business risk to try and change something successful into something else to achieve a different type of success. If it's too drastic and unnatural, it fails. Each project is its own, and has its own vision. You can't force something after all. I think they must be smart enough to realise this now.

Not the first time I've heard that and won't be the last. Still, it doesn't have to be renamed 15, as some people think it will be.

Calling it XV would be the smartest thing to do. Versus is way ahead of whatever future mainline title is in the works right now and it already has the production values to warrant a mainline title. SE needs to hit the ground running next gen. They can't release their first FF game 3-4 years into the generation.

doemaaan

Forget the drawing. Nomura came out about a week ago and confirmed its' existence, along with a set re-reveal date.

Kyoufu

Examples? I have a cold so my memory is not available.

Seriously? Like, I get people are hyped for a game that's essentially been in development hell for years, but most hyped game? Even after the 2011 trailer, I don't see how this can be the most hyped game at E3 unless they've totally redid everything. It looks similar to a Kingdom Hearts game in terms of how it looks to play, and hasn't popularity on that waned over the years?

Open world action RPG with a mature setting and storyline is worth getting hyped over. Especially after the shit-show that was FFXIII.

I'd be both very happy (to see a brand new FF, preferably with gameplay footage), but also disappointed (that it wasn't Versus). It would be very weird.

YES YES YESSSSSSS!!!!!

I feel ya!
SE have the best approach to being a worldwide publisher, instead of twisting the core of the content they offer to appeal to both the CoD crowd and the JRPG crowd (and ending up with XIII) they can make western software tailored to western tastes and japanese for japanese tastes. (I realise those are highly stereotypical sentiments, but that's marketing for ya)
Fingers crossed they fire on all cylinders on both counts!

The post was worded that way for a specific reason. Won't say why now. Will say when you see 'Versus'. It makes perfect sense though.

There is some truth to the leak from VGLeaks, but exaggerated and probably kind of misunderstood too.

damn

I hope this guy is the real deal.

Okay, Verendus, could I ask you something?

So, you talk a lot about how Square, by and large, recognizes their fuck ups this gen. Then why, may I ask, are they letting things like Lightning Returns' reveal (roses, Lightning being a role model, Lightning being the face of SE, etc) go? Why are they allowing statements like "Lightning is the new face of Final Fantasy and SE" go? Why are they letting Toriyama run his mouth about how "This will be the most polished FF to date"? Because that to me sounds like they are trying to make XIII forever be associated with Final Fantasy. Which, if your comments are anything to go by, is something they don't want.

Lightning may be popular. Lightning may be well liked. In fact, outside of Gaf, I know she is. But that does not change the fact that she comes from Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2, two of the most polarizing games of the FF franchise.

So again, if SE is looking to move on, why are they allowing Motomu Toriyama and Kitase to try their damnedest to link parts of XIII to FF forever?

Examples? I have a cold so my memory is not available.

FFXIII (Ultra-linear cinematic narrative)
Nier (MC swap for each territory)
The Last Remnant (I can't remember exactly what they said for this one, but there was a big push for western appeal)

Those are just off the top of my head.

Kyoufu

FFXIII (Ultra-linear cinematic narrative)
Nier (MC swap for each territory)
The Last Remnant (I can't remember exactly what they said for this one, but there was a big push for western appeal)

Those are just off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those.

I don't think XIII was designed to appeal to anyone other than Toriyama. :(

I surely hope so. Buying Eidos was definitely Square's best decision this generation, they got the western base covered with them and they should just stick to doing their games their way.

So, you talk a lot about how Square, by and large, recognizes their fuck ups this gen. Then why, may I ask, are they letting things like Lightning Returns' reveal (roses, Lightning being a role model, Lightning being the face of SE, etc) go? Why are they allowing statements like "Lightning is the new face of Final Fantasy and SE" go? Why are they letting Toriyama run his mouth about how "This will be the most polished FF to date"? Because that to me sounds like they are trying to make XIII forever be associated with Final Fantasy. Which, if your comments are anything to go by, is something they don't want.

Lightning may be popular. Lightning may be well liked. In fact, outside of Gaf, I know she is. But that does not change the fact that she comes from Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2, two of the most polarizing games of the FF franchise.

So again, if SE is looking to move on, why are they allowing Motomu Toriyama and Kitase to try their damnedest to link parts of XIII to FF forever?

Because they need to release something in the meantime.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those.

I don't think XIII was designed to appeal to anyone other than Toriyama. :(

I actually remember them referencing Call of Duty in interviews about XIII. :|

It pretty much sums up their approach coming into this gen, but it's changed towards the end, thank god.

doemaaan

Pretty much this, though there's no way SE would willingly admit to that. They been trying to sell that series like it was a trilogy from the start, when the first game, FF13, ended just fine. I was content with it, you were content with it...

Blame it all on FF14. That's what screwed everything up for SE this gen (in my own worthless opinion).

You don't see Capcom trying to associate Devil May Cry 2 with the Devil May Cry franchise (hell, on most days you can't even get them to admit it exists). This is obviously an extreme example, but this is a case where a company recognized their mess up, changed their approach, released another entry which was tailored to what fans wanted, and ended up with critical and fan acclaim. And after they went the route of Devil May Cry 3, they didn't start talking about how much Devil May Cry 2 did for the franchise, even though it is true that DMC 2 served as the basis for the Trickster, Swordsmaster, Gunslinger styles found in DMC 3.

I understand they have to release filler, which is why I understand XIII-2 and LR. However, what I'm not understanding is why, when SE apparently wants to leave it behind, is allowing employees to make moves to associate said thing they are leaving behind with the brand. That is contrary to their goals.

Pretty much this, though there's no way SE would willingly admit to that. They been trying to sell that series like it was a trilogy from the start, when the first game, FF13, ended just fine. I was content with it, you were content with it...

Blame it all on FF14. That's what screwed everything up for SE this gen (in my own worthless opinion).

The funny thing about this is that back in 2006 they explicitly said that XIII wouldn't have any ports or sequels. Lol.

HeelPower

I feel ya!
SE have the best approach to being a worldwide publisher, instead of twisting the core of the content they offer to appeal to both the CoD crowd and the JRPG crowd (and ending up with XIII) they can make western software tailored to western tastes and japanese for japanese tastes. (I realise those are highly stereotypical sentiments, but that's marketing for ya)
Fingers crossed they fire on all cylinders on both counts!

you have really put my worries to rest...Appreciate the sentiment!

Verendus

Banned

Like you said, Lightning is popular (I don't think she is in the grand scheme of things to be frank) amongst a certain base of players. And there is money to be made there. So you have to market her and promote her as much as you possibly can. She has her fans, and FFXIII has its fans, who will pick up the sequels. They can't be abandoned and treated like they don't matter. They do matter to some extent because they're important for the sequels to succeed. You don't milk people for what they're worth without buttering them up first.

As for the roses, I don't know. Because Toriyama is confused and doesn't realise that some things are better left unsaid, and that the crap he pulled would be hard for even someone who had good English skills and some charisma to actually do well, without looking like a weirdo. Maybe it would work better in the Japanese language, and when directed at a Japanese audience. But I think presentations for games are better when they're strictly business and not too dramatic.

Because then you get Toriyama, and sometimes this:

original.gif

Although, that presentation was pretty funny in retrospect and I have some level of fondness for it. Just because of the expressions.

The funny thing about this is that back in 2006 they explicitly said that XIII wouldn't have any ports or sequels. Lol.

What is funnier is that Toriyama admitted that XIII-2 wasn't planned until they saw XIII sell more than what they expected. And then, upon hearing his plans, you realize that the original XIII-2 he had planned basically had nothing to do with XIII, even less than the current XIII-2. And then you realize that LR only happened because Lightning became popular, thus changing things from XIII-3 to Lightning Returns.

Nothing in this joke of a trilogy was planned, and what was planned changed so dramatically that what we currently have bears little resemblance to the original plan.

Echoe

Neo Member
@Verendus
Why are you actually giving this information and only half of the story?
If you are so sure about what you're saying then give us the whole story or give us nothing.
You can say a lot but eventually something will be right. That doesn't mean you actually knew things.
In one of your first posts you said Square Enix was a joke but you're doing exactly the same by giving these vague statements.
So again, if you truly know stuff then be honest and either tell everything instead of being so vague or don't say anything at all.
Thank you.

You don't see Capcom trying to associate Devil May Cry 2 with the Devil May Cry franchise (hell, on most days you can't even get them to admit it exists). This is obviously an extreme example, but this is a case where a company recognized their mess up, changed their approach, released another entry which was tailored to what fans wanted, and ended up with critical and fan acclaim. And after they went the route of Devil May Cry 3, they didn't start talking about how much Devil May Cry 2 did for the franchise, even though it is true that DMC 2 served as the basis for the Trickster, Swordsmaster, Gunslinger styles found in DMC 3.

I understand they have to release filler, which is why I understand XIII-2 and LR. However, what I'm not understanding is why, when SE apparently wants to leave it behind, is allowing employees to make moves to associate said thing they are leaving behind with the brand. That is contrary to their goals.

Well what else would they say? 'We're releasing this game but it's not particularly important for the future of our business nor is it related to our vision of Final Fantasy going forward.'? That's one way of killing interest, for sure. Everything SE say is to market the game to help push as many units as possible, because their lineup is probably needing a larger title to bring a return on their investment - which is probably pretty thin in itself. Easy profits, basically - which is important when they've just written a lot of internal stuff off and taken a loss on those.
Any bigger titles (FFXV etc) will come but they can't make money on those until they release, which is often many months after being revealed.

dramatis

@Verendus
If you are so sure about what you're saying then give us the whole story or give us nothing.
You can say a lot but eventually something will be right. That doesn't mean you actually knew things.
In one of your first posts you said Square Enix was a joke but you're doing exactly the same only worse.
So again, if you truly know stuff then be honest and either tell everything instead of being so vague or don't say anything at all.
Thank you.
There's a balance to be had between outing information and retaining a source's trust. I'm not in defense of all the teasing here, but people who leak often can't say things clearly because either it's only one of many possibilities or they don't want to betray their source.

doemaaan

Well what else would they say? 'We're releasing this game but it's not particularly important for the future of our business nor is it related to our vision of Final Fantasy going forward.'? That's one way of killing interest, for sure. Everything SE say is to market the game to help push as many units as possible, because their lineup is probably needing a larger title to bring a return on their investment - which is probably pretty thin in itself. Easy profits, basically - which is important when they've just written a lot of internal stuff off and taken a loss on those.
Any bigger titles (FFXV etc) will come but they can't make money on those until they release, which is often many months after being revealed.

Once again, pretty much this. Crimson, I think you're prying too hard into this.

zeopower6

@Verendus
In one of your first posts you said Square Enix was a joke but you're doing exactly the same by giving these vague statements.
Thank you.

Usually insider information like this is intentionally vague. Do many leaks ever give away more than half the story? Sometimes we're lucky to even get that. E3 isn't that far away, so we'll soon see exactly what he's talking about.

I'm actually surprised he's saying as much as he is, tbh.

If Verendus is legit, he's by far the most explicit 'insider' source I've seen in a long time, not sure why he's being accused of being vague, to be honest.

Echoe

Neo Member
Usually insider information like this is intentionally vague. Do many leaks ever give away more than half the story? Sometimes we're lucky to even get that. E3 isn't that far away, so we'll soon see exactly what he's talking about.

I'm actually surprised he's saying as much as he is, tbh.

If he speaks the truth.

zeopower6

It just occurred to me. Did SE say they were going to be answering questions during their E3 stream? Like say, questions from the fans over twitter?

Toriyama and Kitase will be there, but I think those questions are only going to be regarding XIII and X/X-2. They'll also be from Japanese Twitter users (or Japanese speaking ones anyway) only unless they open it up to English questions.

Siliconera translated the 'themes' that the questions should be based on:
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

1. Anything you’d like to ask Lightning.
2. Any information regarding Lightning sitting in town.
3. Questions or fond memories of the Final Fantasy XIII series

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

4. Any questions for a Sahagin?
5. Questions or fond memories of the Final Fantasy X series.
6. Humorous Final Fantasy X images. (like the caw caw / laughing scene)

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/3...-their-upcoming-e3-event/#pEFZMpFCwWc1KMpA.99

The Sahagin and Lightning in Town themes are kind of weird imo.

If he speaks the truth.

Yep, totally. I'm hoping he's legitimate and it looks like it'll probably pan out that he is telling the truth.

Top Bottom