• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime Video exploring bringing ads to the platform. Possibility of charging even more than current price to remove the ads.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

As noted by the WSJ, Amazon is currently weighing several ways it could implement ads in Prime Video, such as showing more ads to existing Prime subscribers and then offering an “option to pay more for an ad-free alternative and other features.”

I've ranted about this with other services, but if this happens, I'm done with Prime. This is the common trend with services today. They give you something good, then gradually make that good thing insufferable, and then say "You want it to be good again? Time to pay up!"

But with Prime it would be even more egregious since you already pay for it. Much of this is usually free stuff that gets worse and if you want it to be good again, time to start paying. If Amazon goes this route, imagine paying $150/year for an videos loaded with ads. Probably would ask us to pay $200 a year to get rid of them.

Let's hope it doesn't come to it, but appears one way or the other, they're going to bring ads to the platform. Even if it's a lesser and cheaper tier that has ads.

feynoob

Banned
home rob GIF by South Park

Paasei

We’ll see. If they really do this I can just cancel. The only thing that is worth it for such a long time was The Grand Tour and shoes with these men. I liked Reacher too, and that sums it up for me. I never ordered anything from Amazon and I couldn’t care less about Twitch.

They pulling a reversi on the people.

Pay for prime…
Add in free prime video…
Increase prime sub multiple times over the years
Swap out prime video for a lesser ad supported product
Maintain prime sub prices.

Youre telling me this wasnt planned 10 years ago?

GymWolf

Legit the only thing i ever saw in their service is seinfeld and 2 episodes of the shit of power.

Last edited:

Puscifer

We’ve already dropped Netflix for lack of value and the constant rises. We are even less attached to Prime content. Looks like this’ll go as well.
I dropped all these personally last year, can't lie that I realized I was watching everything I've seen already but still enjoyed like death note, king of the hill, the sopranos etc. I ebayed them, ripped the disc to my NAS and called it a day. Blows my mind to pay companies this much money and then still given ads, it's bullshit. Might as well go back to cable services at this point with ondemand.

I dropped all these personally last year, can't lie that I realized I was watching everything I've seen already but still enjoyed like death note, king of the hill, the sopranos etc. I ebayed them, ripped the disc to my NAS and called it a day. Blows my mind to pay companies this much money and then still given ads, it's bullshit. Might as well go back to cable services at this point with ondemand.
Indeed. Having all the content on these services is more expensive than cable ever used to be for us but their advantage was the lack of ads.

Esca

I have prime for the shipping so everything else is extra. I already find prime video to be pretty average in general with a few good things for the month. But gtfo by adding ads. They won't see a penny more from me

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Cool, another reason to not get Prime again. Last month I cancelled all my subs. I now have 0. Fuck 'em.
I even didn't renew my Gold membership. I know, I know. Simply going to stop paying for anything subscription based from now on, but give me a $399 lifetime Gold membership and I'm in.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Unsurprising when you think about it. There's already advertisements on their Kindle tablets which you have to pay extra to remove.
amazon-kindle-ad-supported-example-100899774-large.jpg
Literally on the "screen saver" that is pointless. It's kinda dumb to choose the non-ad version lol

It's really more paying less to have ads on the screensaver, as the price is already so low for the Kindles.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

This doesn't surprise me. I checked out when they raised prime to 100 bucks. Everything I've seen since way back then has kept me away minus an occasional free month they give me. Last I saw prime is like what 150 bucks a year now right or have they raised it even from that already? The sad thing is that it's not just their streaming stuff which has started to go downhill. Prime itself has deteriorated for Amazon shoppers. They used to promise 2 day shipping etc and now that's gone too. It can now take several business days to just prep it for shipping.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
But those kindle ads are just on the lock screen, they don't pop up in the middle of a book.

And the fee to remove them is $20 for the life of the device, a pretty low fee IMHO.

But yeah, even those sucks.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Indeed. Having all the content on these services is more expensive than cable ever used to be for us but their advantage was the lack of ads.
Ha, go try and get cable now and see how cheap it is. Especially after all the free new subscriber stuff ends.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jokes on them, I already cancelled my membership

daffyduck

Does anyone actually have Prime for there video content? I only have Prime for the free delivery.
Prime Video makes paying extra for Prime shipping worth it.

But if they think they can add ads to the service at existing prices, then it’s questionable if the slightly faster shipping is worth it.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Does anyone actually have Prime for there video content? I only have Prime for the free delivery.
This

When it comes to Prime Video, I used it once, searched for something, clicked on it, then they wanted even more money for some other sub. Tried a few more searches and everything was extra. I was out after that.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I was just thinking today that Amazon seems to have kinda gone downhill lately. I ordered some headphones and they arrived today not shipped in a box but shipped literally in a plastic bag with a sticker on it. I went to return it and at first for some reason they were going to try to give me store credit but I had to tell them I wanted it back on my card. Shady imho.

Mr Blobby

Literally on the "screen saver" that is pointless. It's kinda dumb to choose the non-ad version lol

It's really more paying less to have ads on the screensaver, as the price is already so low for the Kindles.
for me it's not about it being on as a screen saver, more the fact you've purchased the product and you shouldn't have to pay an extra fee to opt out. Or maybe it's a discount to opt in? Ads are so much more pervasive these days - in games, on the OS, on paid services...

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
In UK it’s £8.99 and for that we get delivery and the tv stuff.

Am I reading it right that it’s 2 tiers in the US?

Soodanim

Gold Member
for me it's not about it being on as a screen saver, more the fact you've purchased the product and you shouldn't have to pay an extra fee to opt out. Or maybe it's a discount to opt in? Ads are so much more pervasive these days - in games, on the OS, on paid services...
It was once quite well known that you could run some Linux commands on the ad Kindles and remove the ads. I don't know if that's still possible, though

ShinFuYux

Is it official?

They try so hard to force me to get amazing music.

Nope.

Now they want me to pay extra for their video service?

Nope.

I'll just pirate it so no commercials won't interrupt my viewing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The adverts will probably be more entertaining than most of their shows.
It would be pretty awesome if they started running the modern equivalent of old school "late night commercials" for stuff like phone sex lines, fleshlights, or that vr stuff.

Ads are inevitable, I suppose. As a cord cutter, I haven't seen a normal TV commercial in YEARS. I'm almost unreachable for car, cereal, movie, toy, skin and autoimmune drugs, ambulance chaser lawyers, and politicial ads.

For whatever reason it's always oddball stuff that buys ad time on streamers, like phone plans that work in Mexico. So with traditional TV collapsing, no wonder the main companies are looking to get in and the streamers can't refuse the $$$

Wildebeest

It would be pretty awesome if they started running the modern equivalent of old school "late night commercials" for stuff like phone sex lines, fleshlights, or that vr stuff.
If Amazon's twitch is anything to go by, it will be the same annoying gambling advert 10 times in a row. But I think the people running prime video are a bit less clueless than twitch staff, who can't even get their costs under control enough to raise their bitrate from what it was ten years ago.

Top Bottom