• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Spain lists new PS4 model to be released on October for €399

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Deeke[VRZ];210087390 said:
Remember 399 Euros = $442 USD. Just saying! Looks like PS4 Neo could be $439?

Nah, that euro price gouging,same thing happened with PS4

*edit* beaten,so its just added taxes.

Also...i think people are confused as to the possibilities. Why would sony have a slim version of PS4(when House just said at E3 that they were happy with the PS4's size?) and a NEO at the same time? That would be making the same mistake as MS, making OG PS4 and Slim pointless at the same time.

It makes sense for NEO to be the 399 unit talked about here

Servbot24

Banned
I doubt they know the specific date, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're making a good guess based on industry rumblings. It's about when I was expecting for sure.

Elios83

Yes, I see a Neo 399€ release in October, and a price cut of the normal SKU to 299€.

I also think this is pretty much the strategy.
Announcements in September.
Mandating all games to support Neo since October is not a coincidence of course and the fiscal year forecast pretty much confirmed that they expected huge holiday season sales.

Only doubt remaining is if the current PS4 will get a new revision as well similarly to the Xbox One S. Although I think that things like the UHD BR drive and HDR support will be Neo only features to better differentiate.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I also think this is pretty much the strategy.
Announcements in September.
Mandating all games to support Neo since October is not a coincidence of course and the fiscal year forecast pretty much confirmed that they expected huge holiday season sales.

Only doubt remaining is if the current PS4 will get a new revision as well similarly to the Xbox One S. Although I think that things like the UHD BR drive and HDR support will be Neo only features to better differentiate.

If there is a revision of PS4, it would include those features like XB1S, but i think Sony will want to push NEO as hard as they can, and that means locking people out of those features unless they buy a NEO, and also, differentiating the two units value a lot more.

Eggbok

Amazon Spain lists new PS4 model to be released on October for €399

Release date: October 13th

The Arrival of Neo?

tumblr_msd4mswars1qlgbzbo6_500.gif

Source

edit.
Amazon Spain was quick and removed it ;)

projectmorpheusdxbrc.gif

There can be only one..

If there is a revision of PS4, it would include those features like XB1S, but i think Sony will want to push NEO as hard as they can, and that means locking people out of those features unless they buy a NEO, and also, differentiating the two units value a lot more.

Sony isn't making its money on hardware. They don't care which version of the PlayStation you get so long as you have the hardware to buy PlayStation games and services. The Neo is there to prevent console owners from leaving their ecosystem for the PC or the Scorpio.

As the extra long last generation proves, Sony is perfectly happy, and would probably prefer, to extend the use of their current hardware for as long as possible. The difference now is the relatively weaker release hardware specs shortening the generation, the lower cost for improved hardware due to outsourcing development to AMD, and the likely competition from an updated Microsoft console (Scorpio) due to the prior two points.

Wait, they're not??

Hardware use to be sold at a loss. Now it is sold at cost or close to it. Hardware certainly has to account for a fraction of the profits earned from licensing income for games and PSN+ subscriptions. Once again, that's why the last gen lasted so long. Nobody wanted to make newer hardware. They just had to once software sales started to significantly drop off.

RK128

So the Neo is really launching this year? Mmm......very strange move considering they are ALSO selling PS VR systems. People will be forced to pick between one platform over they other and I have a good feeling people would rather the console then the headset.

I was hoping Neo would come out early next year or a little bit before the Scropio's launch, as that would make more sense to me; more time to produce systems to sell, can beef up the specs if they want to, and can have marketing for things being evenly spaced out.

Oh well, Sony isn't dumb (well, for the PS4 they aren't anyway), so they know what they are doing.

Hardware use to be sold at a loss. Now it is sold at cost or close to it. Hardware certainly has to account for a fraction of the profits earned from licensing income for games and PSN+ subscriptions. Once again, that's why the last gen lasted so long. Nobody wanted to make newer hardware. They just had to once software sales started to significantly drop off.
FWIW, House did say Neo would be sold at a profit, though he didn't say how much. He did say he wanted the price to reflect the fact that it offered a premium experience compared to the current hardware, so… prolly the same price as the SlimBone with the big hard drive, amirite? Yeah, $50 more than the PS4 sells for now sounds about right.

Hydrargyrus

If that is the price, is going to sell like hot cakes.

And by the time Scorpio will be release, the install base would be really huge (PS4+PS4N) and its price could be 150-200€ lower.

Blizzje

In any case, Sony needs to say something about the Neo before october. Disc cases will have some sort of mentioning about neo compatiblity so guess what. They have some explaining to do why the game says runs on neo 4k or whatever its called but the machine is coming out in 2017. Ain't gonna happen.

lupinko

Sure you can once Sony wises up and makes their games go on PC as well like Microsoft is going to. In the meantime you have PS4 Neo 2 quality multiplats and similar games to the ones you mentioned like Tomb Raider, Dark Souls, Forza Horizon, etc

Microsoft can make Xbone goes on PC because Windows is still Microsoft.

Call me when Xbone games and future Microsoft Game Studios games are Linux and Mac-native supported and not Windows emulated or separate partition load.

wapplew

I'm most curious about the design of Neo. Dazzle me, SIEJ product designer and engineer.
Give me that premium feel.

Top Bottom