• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

how's the darkness 2?

I really liked it. The combat is top notch and although the story isn't as good as the first, it has a couple of good "what the fuck moments" in there. The multiplayer is a decent distraction if you and buddies are looking for something new to play. I'd say its worth that price.

Souther

Banned
If amazon sells a game(downloadable) that is also sold on steam I'm assuming that there is no problems with activating it on steam then? You'll be given the key on amazon and then your set?

Also the SteamMover app is a godsend.

If amazon sells a game(downloadable) that is also sold on steam I'm assuming that there is no problems with activating it on steam then?

Also the SteamMover app is a godsend.

It has to be a Steam-redeemable key. There are games that are sold on different DD platforms so just because It's also sold on Steam doesn't mean you can activate it.

hwy_61

Banned
How is XCOM for someone who never delve into old school PC games? Is it newb friendly, or does it require some research on the mechanics? Reason I ask, is because I hear lots of great things about that game, and I wanna try it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Found this list of games purchasable on Amazon that can be redeemed on Steam. Also has direct links to each game. Note that there are % discounts for each game but i believe this was made 2 months ago and the majority of them don't still apply.

http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/oixna/steamable-amazon-game-list-and-some-dlc

Down in the comments there may be other games that people have mentioned that haven't been added yet to the OP.

Those are steamworks titles. Tony has managed to get steam redeemable keys and non steam versions. So now you have the option to get a steam version of a game or a drm free(or as close to no drm as possible depending on the game). When the sale goes I'll have multiple links for some games since there will be options to go with steam or non steam. For example Max Payne 3 and Bioshock 1/2 aren't steamworks but you have the option of getting a steam key or going non steam.

Souther

Banned
Those are steamworks titles. Tony has managed to get steam redeemable keys and non steam versions. So now you have the option to get a steam version of a game or a drm free(or as close to no drm as possible depending on the game). When the sale goes I'll have multiple links for some games since there will be options to go with steam or non steam. For example Max Payne 3 and Bioshock 1/2 aren't steamworks but you have the option of getting a steam key or going non steam.

Cool. That is gonna make it very convenient.

VALIS

How is XCOM for someone who never delve into old school PC games? Is it newb friendly

Not particularly. They're definitely great games and well worth the time investment, but even back then they were on the complex side. They'd probably be downright arcane to modern gamers.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Great sequel, but a bit on the short side. It's easily worth $12 IMO

Sounds good.

sometimes I like the idea of a short game cause of my backlog

Same here, it's getting scary.

I really liked it. The combat is top notch and although the story isn't as good as the first, it has a couple of good "what the fuck moments" in there. The multiplayer is a decent distraction if you and buddies are looking for something new to play. I'd say its worth that price.

Thanks, will give it a go.

goober

So I'm interested in buying one of the Paradox bundles, but I already own Magicka. Can I swap out the game code for something else? I actually bought Magicka from Amazon lolol

Detox

So in the past couple of pages a lot of international people have mentioned they are using Delaware addresses is their a specific reason or just their own choice?

Interesting, do you know if that has an effect on the price of the digital purchases e.g. no tax?
Honestly, don't know. I guess I'll find out tomorrow (my first Amazon digital purchase).
Mind you I'll be pretty pissed of if that Max Payne is *not* $30 but 30+<insert fee/tax/whatever>.

Watevaman

I think Amazon only puts sales tax on for a few states at the moment. I don't have it in Virginia, but I think it's going to be added soon.

Ledsen

So I'm interested in buying one of the Paradox bundles, but I already own Magicka. Can I swap out the game code for something else? I actually bought Magicka from Amazon lolol

What do you mean "swap out"? It's not "build your own bundle", it's a bundle. You either buy the bundle as it is or you don't...

Des0lar

will learn eventually

You get seperate keys, so you could try to trade with someone.

Tess3ract

Banned
Yeah I'm wary of the bundles too because some of them like Magicka I already own. If I can get a code for them I could give them to people.

froliq

Gonna be getting that Plethora of Paradox Games and Binary Domain.

Dat value. Sorry, Valve!

Edit: Those other 2 Paradox packs together actually cost the same while getting 1 more game compared to the big pack.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yeah I'm wary of the bundles too because some of them like Magicka I already own. If I can get a code for them I could give them to people.

Added this to the FAQ.

What if I already own a game? Can I trade or give the game to someone else?

If the game activates on another service such as Steam or Origin then yes you can do what you like with the extra key(s). This includes games in bundles provided they have the proper keys.

has this started yet? deals dont seem to be that good

So I put the date in the thread title...
15. 2K Shooter Pack - $19.99 &#8211; runs 7/1-7/14

are all of these steam?

Borderlands GOTY and Duke both activate on steam normally. Presumably Bioshock 1/2 will be the steam versions rather than the non steam. Tony will be able to give clarification on that though.

Honestly, don't know. I guess I'll find out tomorrow (my first Amazon digital purchase).
Mind you I'll be pretty pissed of if that Max Payne is *not* $30 but 30+<insert fee/tax/whatever>.

Looking at my statement there is exchange rate, and a .13 cent foreign transaction fee(Canada). No tax using a Delaware address. A 4.99 game cost 5.13, the same it would cost me buying from Steam.

Shurayuki

Looking at my statement there is exchange rate, and a .13 cent foreign transaction fee(Canada). No tax using a Delaware address. A 4.99 game cost 5.13, the same it would cost me buying from Steam.

Yeah apparently amazon only taxes you if you input a

Kansas
Kentucky
New York
North Dakota
Washington

address.

I still find it funny how we happily talk about getting around the tax and international order thing while Tony posts here all the time, such a good sport hehe <3

legacyzero

Banned
has this started yet? deals dont seem to be that good

Binary Domain deal is HIGHLY insulted by what you just posted. demands you take it back.

oh, and MW3 for 30 is a bit of a surprise. Although I'm not buying it because it doesn't include mod tools.

Think I'll bite on Sydicate, Binary Domain, and MAYBE Specs Ops.

Derrick01

Banned
I hadn't even heard of Binary Domain until this thread.

Anyone care to sell me on it? Why is it so heralded?

It's a japanese made shooter. You know people here are going to love it no matter what.

It looks pretty generic and at worst, run of the mill as far as shooters go. I think $10 is a pretty good price for it.

epmode

Not particularly. They're definitely great games and well worth the time investment, but even back then they were on the complex side. They'd probably be downright arcane to modern gamers.
X-COM's UI is not the easiest thing in the world but it's far more accessible than something like Ultima 7 or System Shock. There are a few useful beginner guides here and here.

The trick is understanding what the in-mission buttons do since they're not labeled. Use a guide for your first mission or two as well as the early base-building and you can pick it up quickly.

This is one of those games that's absolutely worth the learning curve. It's still one of the best SRPGs ever.

Oh Tony,

Has Saints Row 3 been on sale? I've kept an eye out for sales but never saw any from amazon

15. 2K Shooter Pack - $19.99 – runs 7/1-7/14

are all of these steam?

Added this to the FAQ.

What if I already own a game? Can I trade or give the game to someone else?

If the game activates on another service such as Steam or Origin then yes you can do what you like with the extra key(s). This includes games in bundles provided they have the proper keys.

So I put the date in the thread title...

Borderlands GOTY and Duke both activate on steam normally. Presumably Bioshock 1/2 will be the steam versions rather than the non steam. Tony will be able to give clarification on that though.

This is a good question. Our Ops team didn't have time to make the 2K packs with all Steam versions yet. The current packs still contain non-steam versions of Bioshock 1+2, Civ IV Complete, etc. This is why I didn't state that they all activate on Steam.

I'll email Nelo Ice and see if he can add this to the OP.

Cheers,
Tony

ACE 1991

I knew I forgot to mention something. Apparently the Operation Arrowhead keys we got didn't work so we've had to request new ones. As soon as we have them the sale goes live.

My bad for forgetting to update.

Cheers,
Tony

No worries, thanks a lot for the update! Can I expect it some time today? I'd love to be able to play Day Z during the weekend :)

No worries, thanks a lot for the update! Can I expect it some time today? I'd love to be able to play Day Z during the weekend :)

Probably not this weekend I haven't heard back from the publisher about keys. He's probably got my cell phone number on straight to voicemail at this point...

Cheers,
Tony

Probably not this weekend I haven't heard back from the publisher about keys. He's probably got my cell phone number on straight to voicemail at this point...

Cheers,
Tony

Great work on communicating with us Tony. Now that Valve dropped the ball I'm gonna get what I want from you instead. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Great work on communicating with us Tony. Now that Valve dropped the ball I'm gonna get what I want from you instead. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

You're welcome. You guys are the most important part of the business, I try and communicate as often and transparently as I can with you. It took me several months to find the 2-3 forums with enough people and the right mentality to live in but I'm glad this is one of them.

Cheers,
Tony

hwy_61

Banned
You're welcome. You guys are the most important part of the business, I try and communicate as often and transparently as I can with you. It took me several months to find the 2-3 forums with enough people and the right mentality to live in but I'm glad this is one of them.

Cheers,
Tony

Is there a way we can tell Amazon how awesome you are? You know, besides buying everything?

mxgt

Banned
Now that Valve dropped the ball

KuGsj.gif

Top Bottom