• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

Megasoum

Banned
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OWV050/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - We'll have this for $161.99 ($40.50/copy) from now until the game launches. If you have purchased Borderlands GOTY from us, or purchase from 7/26-7/30 you'll get an additional $18 off this item, making it $143.99 ($35.99/copy). You have to use the coupon before end of day PST on 7/30 though.

Cheers,
Tony

Hey Tony, couple of questions.

I see the 4-pack at 179.97 right now. Is the price going down today or that was a typo?

If I pre-order the 4-pack, do you know when we'll receive the steam keys? Is it right now, a week before release, on release day? Any idea?

The thing is I would be buying from Canada so I would have to use a different address. I don't necessarly mind doing that for buying a steam game but it's making me a bit nervous if I have to wait a while before getting the key... I know you won't comment officialy on out of US customers but at least if you have some kind of rough ETA for the keys it would help.

Thanks!

cametall

If you're sensitive to low FOV or easily get motion sick then avoid Syndicate on PC.

You can't adjust FOV at all. I get sick after about 20 minutes.

Tony, questions you could never answer, but I'm pretty fascinated with what you're doing from a business perspective.

The Hi-Lo thing must be working out pretty well for you considering the time and effort you personally are putting into promoting it. I wish you could share what the difference has been for you compared with the previous EDLP pricing strategy AMZN went with for a long time in digital games. I bet it's pretty damn big. 1.4-2x overall revenues?

And I'd love to know if you're seeing any dropoff in participation as you run more deals and just how much the Steam Sale impacted your sell-through rates.

I know they're all secrets, but you have to be learning some pretty cool things right now.

Tony, questions you could never answer, but I'm pretty fascinated with what you're doing from a business perspective.

The Hi-Lo thing must be working out pretty well for you considering the time and effort you personally are putting into promoting it. I wish you could share what the difference has been for you compared with the previous EDLP pricing strategy AMZN went with for a long time in digital games. I bet it's pretty damn big. 1.4-2x overall revenues?

And I'd love to know if you're seeing any dropoff in participation as you run more deals and just how much the Steam Sale impacted your sell-through rates.

I know they're all secrets, but you have to be learning some pretty cool things right now.

You're right that I can't get specific but I can tell you that things are going well and communities like this have been super helpful in the growth.

As for the recent promotional period. It was our largest and most successful yet using any metric.

Cheers,
Tony

legacyzero

Banned
Just confirmed:

Divinity II Dragon Knight Saga - $5.99 - Steam
Divinity II Dragon Knight Saga - $5.99 - DRM free

Also, anyone who buys Borderlands this weekend (starting tomorrow) will get an additional 10% off ($6) Borderlands 2 pre-order, bringing it to ~$48. Additionally, if you've ever purchased Borderlands from us, you'll get this same credit towards the pre-order of Borderlands 2.

Cheers,
Tony
Divinity looks so awesome. Does GAF like this game?? What's it like or compared to?

Codeblue

Does anyone know where Amazon downloads games to?

I downloaded around 13GB worth of Dragon Age and when I got done the downloader told me it was unable to open the AFP file. I'd go ahead and redownload it but I figured I'd try to copy the files it did download over to the Origin folder and see if I can repair it that way, but I can't seem to locate it anywhere on my computer.

Arcteryx

I downloaded around 13GB worth of Dragon Age and when I got done the downloader told me it was unable to open the AFP file. I'd go ahead and redownload it but I figured I'd try to copy the files it did download over to the Origin folder and see if I can repair it that way, but I can't seem to locate it anywhere on my computer.

It's been awhile since I've used it, but check in Documents\Amazon Games

Catshade

Try looking at your desktop. That's the last time Amazon downloader put my Warband installer.

Prophane33

So as someone who has never really played a CoD game post CoD2, would Modern Warfare 2 be a good buy? Or would be be better to splurge on Black Ops for 19.99 instead? I plan on playing both the single player and the multi-player.

So as someone who has never really played a CoD game post CoD2, would Modern Warfare 2 be a good buy? Or would be be better to splurge on Black Ops for 19.99 instead? I plan on playing both the single player and the multi-player.

Modern Warfare 2 was the COD game I liked least. Multiplayer-wise, they ramped up the kill streak bonuses to an absurd level, I felt and more often than not hot death was raining down from the sky. Singleplayer took the COD formula and just amped up everything to 11. If you enjoy COD campaigns, it's alright but a little silly with how it keeps trying to one up itself.

Black Ops followed MW2 in a lot of areas but they did tone down things a little bit. One major improvement in multiplayer was the fact that kill streak kills didn't add towards your next kill streak. This kept things a bit more reasonable in my experience.

Black Ops singleplayer played similarly to all post COD 4 campaigns but they changed things up with the way the story was presented. I'd say it's a little more interesting.

Edit: I guess a lot of what I just posted assumes you are aware of everything that changed with COD 4.

Has there been any word on another sale for the 2 Kingdoms of Amalur DLCs?

I got it when it was on sale! Totally worth it if it goes on sale again. Only had enough time for Teeth of Naro or whatever, but it was a vast improvement. It actually had a good story, cool characters, personality, dungeon was unique and graphics were slightly improved. I haven't had time to play the other yet. My character is to powerful now so I'm going to roll a new character for the other one. The free house means it's best to do the other one at level 10-15. :)

ghostmind

Any word on a Battlefield 3/Premium bundle sale? I doubt Origin is going to have EA's cash cow up for anything less than $90 any time soon.

eek5

Hey Tony, couple of questions.

I see the 4-pack at 179.97 right now. Is the price going down today or that was a typo?

If I pre-order the 4-pack, do you know when we'll receive the steam keys? Is it right now, a week before release, on release day? Any idea?

The thing is I would be buying from Canada so I would have to use a different address. I don't necessarly mind doing that for buying a steam game but it's making me a bit nervous if I have to wait a while before getting the key... I know you won't comment officialy on out of US customers but at least if you have some kind of rough ETA for the keys it would help.

Thanks!

I'm also curious about this. If you get BL2 or the 4-pack, when do you receive the steam keys?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Additionally, all pre-orders of Borderlands 2 or the Borderlands 2 Four Pack will get access to the Borderlands 2 Premiere Club, which includes a Golden Key, Vault Hunter's Relic, Gearbox Gunpack, and new Mechromancer class.

Just want to be sure I'm understanding this. It doesn't matter who places the Borderlands 2 4-pack order, all B2 keys from that order come with the "Premiere Club" DLC.

Right?

I'm also curious about this. If you get BL2 or the 4-pack, when do you receive the steam keys?

You receive your keys on either launch day or pre-load day, if the game has pre-load. This is also when you'll be charged (we don't charge for pre-orders until we deliver keys).

Just want to be sure I'm understanding this. It doesn't matter who places the Borderlands 2 4-pack order, all B2 keys from that order come with the "Premiere Club" DLC.

Right?

All 4 copies of the game in the 4 pack will receive the premiere club content, yes.

Any chance we'll see Dragon Age 1 alone for 5$?

Not in this sale, we're just doing the bundle this go-round.

Cheers,
Tony

mosesjohn

Neo Member
Modern Warfare 2 was the COD game I liked least. Multiplayer-wise, they ramped up the kill streak bonuses to an absurd level, I felt and more often than not hot death was raining down from the sky. Singleplayer took the COD formula and just amped up everything to 11. If you enjoy COD campaigns, it's alright but a little silly with how it keeps trying to one up itself.

Black Ops followed MW2 in a lot of areas but they did tone down things a little bit. One major improvement in multiplayer was the fact that kill streak kills didn't add towards your next kill streak. This kept things a bit more reasonable in my experience.

Black Ops singleplayer played similarly to all post COD 4 campaigns but they changed things up with the way the story was presented. I'd say it's a little more interesting.

Edit: I guess a lot of what I just posted assumes you are aware of everything that changed with COD 4.

you obviously arent very good at cod... for those of us who can actually get killstreaks, really love to rain down hot death. black ops ruined that... its completely unrewarding for better players. just like how they nerfed every gun when it comes to damage,recoil, and range. it makes it so much harder to rack up kills quickly, encourages camping, and forget about using a silencer. all this just so people like you can actually get as many kills as deaths. activision figured theyd rather fuck all the people who were good at cod4 and mw2, just so they can attract more and more new players and make more money. its a good marketing move... but cod is dead to me. the even sadder thing is that i switched to battlefield bad company 2 because black ops was such a sell out fail and i loved every minute of it. i got excited for battlefield 3 and didnt even think of getting mw3, but to my surprise, battlefield 3 kind of did the same thing. recoil is ridiculous, and it takes like 15-25 bullets to put someone down. sniping is completely nerfed. bf3 is equivalent to black ops to me... oh well. i guess i just have to come to terms with just playing the classics...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
you obviously arent very good at cod... for those of us who can actually get killstreaks, really love to rain down hot death. black ops ruined that... its completely unrewarding for better players. just like how they nerfed every gun when it comes to damage,recoil, and range. it makes it so much harder to rack up kills quickly, encourages camping, and forget about using a silencer. all this just so people like you can actually get as many kills as deaths. activision figured theyd rather fuck all the people who were good at cod4 and mw2, just so they can attract more and more new players and make more money. its a good marketing move... but cod is dead to me. the even sadder thing is that i switched to battlefield bad company 2 because black ops was such a sell out fail and i loved every minute of it. i got excited for battlefield 3 and didnt even think of getting mw3, but to my surprise, battlefield 3 kind of did the same thing. recoil is ridiculous, and it takes like 15-25 bullets to put someone down. sniping is completely nerfed. bf3 is equivalent to black ops to me... oh well. i guess i just have to come to terms with just playing the classics...
You mean Battlefield 1942 and CoD 2?

Yikes. People like me? I've never had any issues getting kill streaks and I maintained a 2+/1 kill to death ratio in MW2. I just felt like they took the kill streak rewards too far in MW2 and it turned the battlefield into a clusterfuck of aircraft. I always felt that COD 4 hit the sweet spot for kill streak rewards and everything after that went too far. To each his own I guess.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
MW2 being a classic... These are the posts that make you feel old.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OWV050/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - We'll have this for $161.99 ($40.50/copy) from now until the game launches. If you have purchased Borderlands GOTY from us, or purchase from 7/26-7/30 you'll get an additional $18 off this item, making it $143.99 ($35.99/copy). You have to use the coupon before end of day PST on 7/30 though.

Cheers,
Tony

Hey Tony,

Love the deals you are doing :D Quick question about the bolded part. Does that mean that we have to buy the GOTY edition to get the additional $18 off the 4 pack? Or do we get the additional $18 off if we purchase the 4 pack by Monday, regardless whether we've bought the GOTY edition? I've already bought the GOTY from steam during the steam sales last week and was wondering if I needed to rebuy it from you to get the deal to work?

Thanks,

Raz

Hey Tony,

Love the deals you are doing :D Quick question about the bolded part. Does that mean that we have to buy the GOTY edition to get the additional $18 off the 4 pack? Or do we get the additional $18 off if we purchase the 4 pack by Monday, regardless whether we've bought the GOTY edition? I've already bought the GOTY from steam during the steam sales last week and was wondering if I needed to rebuy it from you to get the deal to work?

Thanks,

Raz

Glad you're digging the deals :).

The $18 credit is being distributed to customers who purchase and/or have purchased Borderlands Game of the Year.

Side question.

I'm in a meeting about our social media activity.

I'm asking for feedback here. What would make you guys, as gamers, want to visit tihs page:

http://www.facebook.com/AmazonVideoGames

and more importantly, engage in conversation.

The world is your oyster here guys, I'm willing to try most things (within reason).

Cheers,
Tony

cametall

Side question.

I'm asking for feedback here. What would make you guys, as gamers, want to visit tihs page:

The world is your oyster here guys, I'm willing to try most things (within reason).

Cheers,
Tony

A constant stream of deals.

No news stuff, I get that from other video game pages I "Liked" on Facebook.

Also nothing that involves me having to give permissions to apps or other things of that nature. Seems a lot of Facebook contests require I allow something access to my account.

But a steady stream of sales being posted, on quality games, would catch my eye. I think CAG does a good job of this.

I think an easy way of getting us engaged in conversation would be to have posts asking for input on specific sales. Like asking our opinions of deals on a certain developer/publisher's library.

An open ended post asking the community about sales (like: Which games do you want to see on sale?) would become cumbersome quickly.

HoosTrax

Side question.

Cheers,
Tony
I avoid Facebook like the plague. Even Twitter is preferable.

In terms of visibility to me, [Steam community group > Twitter > Facebook]

I realize that the Steam community group thing is probably not possible, but that's the kind of visibility that will actually get me to see your announcements day in and day out. Rockstar used it to good effect in the days leading up to the Max Payne release. I don't visit Facebook period since I have to log into it to post and I don't like using my personal info online. -- If I don't even use the site for daily social stuff, why would I bother logging into it for any other reason.

mosesjohn

Neo Member
Yikes. People like me? I've never had any issues getting kill streaks and I maintained a 2+/1 kill to death ratio in MW2. I just felt like they took the kill streak rewards too far in MW2 and it turned the battlefield into a clusterfuck of aircraft. I always felt that COD 4 hit the sweet spot for kill streak rewards and everything after that went too far. To each his own I guess.

im sorry i guess i shouldnt have assumed... i usually dont single out people and rage, but i guess its been something that has been erking to get out of my system. i do agree cod4 was amazing... perfectly balanced. the killstreaks were powerful but not too insane. compared to mw2, but i seriously cant complain about the ac130, it felt so good to hit 11 in that game. i guess i really dont like when people praise black ops for anything besides zombies and maybe the campaign... the mp was just so out of sync and clunky. i liked it as a concept and the custom-ability was pretty refreshing, and maybe the choice to not let kill steaks add to themselves could have been a smart decision. but they really killed the core mechanics that made call of duty so fun and addictive. biggest change in three words: no stopping power. plus they decreased the general damage and range by an insane amount, and slapped on quite a bit of recoil. it really destroyed to variety of gameplay... i mean in every other cod, i could choose any weapon and do heavy work with it, and have a blast doing it. the guns were just all about preference... you could do fine with any of them. with black ops, its entirely different.... there are maybe two guns that stand out among the entire catalog, and the rest are complete trash. whats the point of having a ton of customization, when there is really only one gun you are forced to use? plus camping is such a larger problem in this game... and not just snipe-camping, i mean sitting in a corner by a door, waiting for someone to waltz right into your barrel. i mean i wanted like this game, after putting so much time into all the others, but i couldnt. thats the things... you get used to a certain format of gameplay, and it becomes engraved in your head. you cant have it any other way. i had no problem making the transition from cod4 to waw and then to mw2... despite the minor changes, the core formula of the gameplay was held in tact. but i just couldnt do black ops, they changed the formula. after so many gamers became experienced and accustomed to certain gameplay, they just turned it on their heads. just to make more money with a newer, younger, crowd of gamers. i was hoping so much that mw3 would go back to the old formula, that after all the hate that went black ops's way, they would want to go back. who was i kidding? black ops wasnt a fail... it was a huge success, the number one bestselling cod of all time? if i was running the company, it would be obvious what was working. so they took the mw skins and slapped them on black ops, and made mw3. so thats why i should say the series is dead to me...

MW2 being a classic... These are the posts that make you feel old.

I guess "classics" was a bit of a sensitive word to use, i mean cod4, waw, and mw2 are all pretty classic to me. i mean how many kids that play mw3 today actually played cod4? those two games arent even comparable in quality...

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member

The $18 credit is being distributed to customers who purchase and/or have purchased Borderlands Game of the Year.

Side question.

Cheers,
Tony

I think transferring what you're doing on all these forums to facebook would be what would get people to visit the page with any regularity. I mean that's basically what a facebook wall is. A forum/thread. To get conversations and visits all you'd really have to do is what you've been doing.

Also: Thanks again for the Mount and Blade: Warband giveaway you did a bit back. That's turned out to be a one of the best games I've played in a while.

Side question.

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks for the quick reply Tony! Welp guess another one of my friends are going to get a free copy of the GOTY edition haha.

As for the facebook page, yea I rarely visit it myself but posting just deals on it would be a good start. Between that, this thread and the tweets about deals, it should generate decent traffic. Maybe even redirect tweets about deals to the fb page?

irishcow

How is the online community in Borderlands?

sorry if this has been asked before. Deciding whether to pick it up or wait until 2.

CatPee

It takes 4-5 at close to mid-range. Those other 10-20 shots miss because you fire in full auto. Compensate for/manage your recoil and fire in bursts. They're not laser guns.

Any word on a Battlefield 3/Premium bundle sale? I doubt Origin is going to have EA's cash cow up for anything less than $90 any time soon.

BF3's been on sale for $30-$40 pretty often. Occasionally it goes down to $20 on Origin. There are also some 20% off codes for greenmangaming floating around making Premium $40, which is likely the cheapest it'll be for a long while.

Prophane33

I think I might go with Black Ops, since my K-D ratio in FPS games that aren't Tribes is always horrendous, So kill streak rewards mean nothing to me. 19.99 is still a bit much though. However, having the Zombie mode in it seems cool too. Technically, I could splurge and get both. (Actually leaning towards that.).

Last question: Does the sale go live at midnight Eastern Time ? Or do we have to wait for midnight Pacific Time or some other time tomorrow?

Top Bottom