• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon UK: Wii U Sales Rank Jumps 875% Following Microsoft’s X1 Reveal+Price cut bump

Busaiku

WTF
whats the reason?

Nintendo was unwilling to address some problems with 3DS way back (I think it was the screen scratching thing, not completely sure), so Amazon stopped carrying all Nintendo hardware.
You can still get it from 3rd parties through Amazon though.

Persona86

Banned
iVTT7iHZ0KMgK.gif

I actually have edited the same GIF for when Versus finally gets revealed again, Noctis instead of Iwata, I've had it saved for a long time now. Stop taking my glory away!

Persona86

Banned
That was what I was going to say!

There is no way he just did that. HNe probably made it months ago and was like "The day the Wii U starts selling good, I am gonna F#%$ING own with this gif".

I've seen that GIF in some Nintendo threads already. It's not the first time it's been on GAF. :)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I must say that I was also eyeing on the Wii U after the disaster reveal. Only thing that is holding me back are "no games" and shitty "OS" though - and I wan't Metroid Prime HD and REmake on the VC. Bring it Nintendo!!!!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Fighting a ghost can be tough. If Wii U manages to get wonderful looking killer apps, at half the price MS and Sony release, people will stop waiting.

Amazon pissed at MS because killing used games destroys Marketplace revenue from used games. Expect to see more of this stuff from GAME and GameStop if the used games stuff turns out to be true and a new licence needs to be bought for every account the game is attached to.

SmokyDave

875% bump, eh?

Well, I expect to see at least one Wii-U title in the top 10 on Monday then. Otherwise, it'd be 875% of an incredibly small number.

Mael

They should really have never sold the basic model at all.
also lol xbone?
Any good news for the other 2 now is related to the xbone it's pretty funny.

why would the X1 announcement has anything to do with the bump in Wii U sales when X1 is supposed to be released this fall?

I don't get it

amardilo

£230 is still a bit more than I want to spend on a Wii U. For that price I would like an additional game (on top of what is already bundled).

why would the X1 announcement has anything to do with the bump in Wii U sales when X1 is supposed to be released this fall?

I don't get it

Maybe people were holding out to see if what MS (and Sony) had was worth waiting/saving for. Sounds like it wasn't.

Anybody entertaining the notion that the Wii U's demand is being held back by the lack of concrete information about the PS4 and XBO is deluded. And hoping that a deluge of sales will occur because these people will suddenly say "Well, Wii U it is then." when the price and policies around lending and used trade are fully revealed is bizarre fantasy.

The PS4 and XBO are not going to change the value proposition of the Wii U.

A large 25% price cut did, on Amazon as they fire sale these off.
875% bump, eh?

Well, I expect to see at least one Wii-U title in the top 10 on Monday then. Otherwise, it'd be 875% of an incredibly small number.
A 900% increase would probably still only result in about 5K units at best. I'm not sure what the top 10 is at right now in the UK charts.

EDIT: oh, that's right, it's just Amazon - I'd be surprised then if it made it to the top 10.

daxgame

875% bump, eh?

wait, but I thought that increment was on Amazon only? Or is it in general?

Also

what is this based on? Anyone knows where I can find a white WiiU for this price??

SmokyDave

It's only on Amazon. Pretty sure no other ertailers have discounted the premium this past week.

Good point chaps, I read 'price cut bump' and my mind ran away.

Still, it shouldn't be too tough to get a title into the top 40 at least. The bottom end of that chart is selling a piffling amount.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't think this increase is yet relevant, but it is a good sign. I think it is a combination of factors: actual launching dates for summer games (one 1st party game each month starting with June is better than none per month until now), a good price (not the best, but still) and the fact that Xbone is not amazing and now we pretty much know how the next gen is going to be. Given all this I think Wii U has more appeal now. And I guess it will have even more after the E3 direct.

madmackem

Good point chaps, I read 'price cut bump' and my mind ran away.

Still, it shouldn't be too tough to get a title into the top 40 at least. The bottom end of that chart is selling a piffling amount.

The price has been back to normal for about two weeks now smokey.

madmackem

Anybody entertaining the notion that the Wii U's demand is being held back by the lack of concrete information about the PS4 and XBO is deluded. And hoping that a deluge of sales will occur because these people will suddenly say "Well, Wii U it is then." when the price and policies around lending and used trade are fully revealed is bizarre fantasy.

The PS4 and XBO are not going to change the value proposition of the Wii U.

A large 25% price cut did, on Amazon as they fire sale these off.A 900% increase would probably still only result in about 5K units at best. I'm not sure what the top 10 is at right now in the UK charts.

EDIT: oh, that's right, it's just Amazon - I'd be surprised then if it made it to the top 10.

That sale ended weeks ago mate, i know because i grabbed one.

Birathen

I think that the 875% is due to the infinite power of the cloud, insn't it?

When people found out what the cloud could do over the net it became clear that the rumors of downloadable CPU upgrades as well as future DLR (downloadable ram) is a reality. The power of the WiiU is.. Unlimited

SmokyDave

The price has been back to normal for about two weeks now smokey.

The shot in the OP shows the price as £229.99, that's a full £70 off RRP.

Interestingly, I popped to Argos' website to check I had the RRP right. When you search for 'Wii U', you get a huge banner advert for 'The New Wii Mini'. Hilarious.

fred

If the Wii U tops the PS4 in the sells charts after December, all hell is going to break loose. I'm going to go into hiding to avoid the destruction.

They've been doing price drops on the Wii U since January and they have never worked. This isn't the result of a price drop. I'm sure you know this. It seems a lot of people want that to be the case, because it would reflect negatively on the Wii U where saying its because of the Xbox One would reflect positively.

Sony and Microsoft won't be able to produce enough consoles to beat Wii U unit sales in November and December. And going into the launch window and beyond after the New Year both consoles are going to sell worse than the Wii U has done this year. Probably won't continue to drop from February/March onwards though because I can't see both of them having the same software drought.

When the Wii U is outselling both the PS4 and One launches aligned I wonder how many people will be harping on about Sony and Microsoft going third party..?

I think a lot of people are going to be unpleasantly surprised by the PS4 and One sales figures, we're in the middle of the worst worldwide recession seen in donkey's years, a great deal of people can't afford to buy new toys at the moment, particularly if they're over the 400 dollars/pounds mark.

When the Wii U is outselling both the PS4 and One launches aligned I wonder how many people will be harping on about Sony and Microsoft going third party..?
If the Wii U ends up selling the PS4 and XBO when launch aligned there won't be a third party because the console industry would have entirely crashed.

madmackem

Huh? Not sure what you mean.

It is currently 229GBP on Amazon.co.uk.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008B5YB4W/

A 20 pound drop occurred on May 22nd in the UK, and a further 50 pound drop occurred on the 23rd.
amazon.png

It is quite clear this increase is price related.

It must have just dropped again the past day or so as it went back up, the basic was as low as £149.99 two weeks or so ago. Click the link now its went back up, i dont think this bump is down to the price alone as you can see on your graph it went back up again and only dropped in the past few days.

cacildo

I must say that I was also eyeing on the Wii U after the disaster reveal. Only thing that is holding me back are "no games" and shitty "OS" though - and I wan't Metroid Prime HD and REmake on the VC. Bring it Nintendo!!!!

Forget about "shitty os". After the updates i dont even see the load times anymore

Top Bottom