• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon UK: Wii U Sales Rank Jumps 875% Following Microsoft’s X1 Reveal+Price cut bump

Go have your eyes checked, blindy.
I was referring to the recent price movement. But sure, you're right it was 250 for a period in April.

The positional movement referred to in this thread is not from April, however. So no, it's not a 20 pound price drop causing the movement it's a 70 pound one.

SmokyDave

Go have your eyes checked, blindy.

Come off it, it's pretty obvious that the sales 'boost' came when it dropped £70 in two days. It was 250, yeah, way before the Xbox reveal.

As as aside, the increase in sales rank currently shows as 108% on Amazon UK, not 875%.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

There are a lot of factors that could influence the sales and trends. It depends a lot if the price will be "right" and on the launch and post launch games. It depends on the people prioritizing their shopping list and so on. PS3 was a slow starter. 3DS was a slow starter. Vita was a good starter but died really fast. Wii U the same. You can have either scenarios. You can have PS4 with a boom start and then slowing down and the Xbone having a mediocre run. You might even have the situation were they don't sell much more than Wii U in total by spring next year. That does not give you a certainty, just a probability. Who would have thought in 2008 that PS3 will sale 77 millions?

As as aside, the increase in sales rank currently shows as 108% on Amazon UK, not 875%.

And more to the point, Earthbound Wii U is now in third place, up 2,283% in sales, even though nobody can actually preorder the thing (it's only got a "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available." button on the page).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Analysts are people like you and me. They have current data sales at their disposal, and previous sales patterns (which by the way show everything is possible in this industry). It's not only extremely zoomed in, it's also looking at the past.

You are the lost cause if you stop doubting. Humility is key in this industry, where anything can happen. It's an open game. It's all about the games. Their quality, their roadmap, their marketing. All things we ignore.

Don't make me trawl your post history for humility marc^o^. You do not want that ;)

And yes "anything can happen", in the same way a meteor can suddenly hit my apartment and you'll never have to deal with me ruffling red brand feathers again. What we take on board is the statistical likelyhood of that happening, which is calculated through all things such as the history of meteor showers in my neighbourhood. It isn't some free open book of you can say anything and it has just as much weight as the well researched and plotted viewpoints. Thats how we get ourselves creationist museums.

Because it works daily. So say the other day they sold 30 WiiU's on Amazon, then after a big ol pricedrop they sold 210 giving us a 700% boost! I remember the zavvi ebay of bomba prices for an equal 200 amount that when theyd sold, were gone. If only they had a sales chart leaping percentage tracker for that.

Retailers are clearing inventory. Not a good sign.

SmokyDave

And more to the point, Earthbound Wii U is now in third place, up 2,283% in sales, even though nobody can actually preorder the thing (it's only got a "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available." button on the page).

I noticed that too. Does anyone know what these 'sales rankings' actually mean?

ozfunghi

Come off it, it's pretty obvious that the sales 'boost' came when it dropped £70 in two days. It was 250, yeah, way before the Xbox reveal.

Exactly... the pricedrop that was only £20 more expensive than it is now DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING before the XBone reveal. Thanks for proving my point.

And the sales rank "only" shows 108% now? Hmm. You understand that that is 108% better than the last position... which was 875% better than before. Right?

prag16

Banned
You're not wrong. The update has managed to make most things feel slower. When I first boot into the home menu and press a game or app icon the moment they show, it'll take 10 seconds before bit shows the splash screen. Until then the system just sits unresponsive

Mine does that as well (only since the update) but it's only for about 2 seconds, not 10. But the overall time to launch games/apps has seen a net decrease since it sits at the splash screen for a shorter duration. So not really complaining.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Don't make me trawl your post history for humility marc^o^. You do not want that ;)

And yes "anything can happen", in the same way a meteor can suddenly hit my apartment and you'll never have to deal with me ruffling red brand feathers again. What we take on board is the statistical likelyhood of that happening, which is calculated through all things such as the history of meteor showers in my neighbourhood. It isn't some free open book of you can say anything and it has just as much weight as the well researched and plotted viewpoints. Thats how we get ourselves creationist museums.
All you will find of such in my post history is answers to you, saying I'm no lunatic predicting a Wii U rebound - based on my track records of being right against posters like you calling me a lunatic.

What "we take on this board" you say? Well... you're not... the board! You're an opinion on this board. And those who have a 180° opinion than yours may be right.
That's why humility is prescripted. You keep telling members, who still believe Wii U can become a success, they are crazy / a lost cause / etc.
Humility. My communication tip.

You could be right. You could be wrong. It will depend on so many unknown factors one can't be categoric in predicting things.

SmokyDave

Exactly... the pricedrop that was only £20 more expensive than it is now DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING before the XBone reveal. Thanks for proving my point.

And the sales rank "only" shows 108% now? Hmm. You understand that that is 108% better than the last position... which was 875% better than before. Right?
How do you know it did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING? Do we have the sales ranking data from that period?

It now says 129%, yet the 'Sales rank' is still 47, same as it was when it said 108%.

So, no, I don't understand what any of this means. By all means, feel free to cite the XBone announcement as the more important factor, rather than the £70 drop. I just happen to disagree.

wildfire

Banned

That's because amazon updates hourly.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It was available for pre-order three hours ago when I checked, now is no longer. Probably they realised the mistake.

They did absolutely nothing? Can you verify that claim in any way.

Can you point out any other retailer, any other corroborating data whatsoever, to show the XBO announcement has increased sales substantially and what we're seeing on Amazon.co.uk in terms of positional movement is a result of that across the board improvement in demand due to the reduction of ambiguity and not the large price drop that occurred on that site?

Shall we expect Wii U sales to be significantly bolstered in May NPD or these coming weeks' Media Create charts too?

I noticed that too. Does anyone know what these 'sales rankings' actually mean?

They're not sales rankings, they're "Movers and Shakers". It's just a chart of the biggest upward changes in sales, and separate to the "Bestsellers" chart.

Although, like I said, Earthbound is on there, so who knows how they calculate or define a 'sale'.

It was available for pre-order three hours ago when I checked, now is no longer. Probably they realised the mistake.

Oh I see.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
All you will find of such in my post history is answers to you, saying I'm no lunatic predicting a Wii U rebound - based on my track records of being right against posters like you calling me a lunatic.

What "we take on this board" you say?
Well you're not the board. I'm trying to teach you humility, is it a lost cause?

You predicted Wii was going to be big against people that couldn't see the writing on the wall.
You predicted WiiU was going to be big and was wrong.

It turns out your "method" isn't very good and is perhaps being affected by something.

Shall we expect Wii U sales to be significantly bolstered in May NPD or these coming weeks' Media Create charts too?

Again, why are you adding additional hyperbolic qualifiers?

So you can wiggle out of being wrong?

Who here has stated there will be "significant" increases?

I would expect there to be an increase in the NPD now that all of the competition has laid out functionality. I am making zero claims about the magnitude of that change.

You are the one stating that the xbone reveal has no impact whatsoever on wiiu demand, so logically you are asserting that there will be no additional sales whatsoever this month over last, yes?

Again, why are you adding additional hyperbolic qualifiers?

So you can wiggle out of being wrong?

Who here has stated there will be "significant" increases?

I would expect there to be an increase in the NPD now that all of the competition has laid out functionality. I am making zero claims about the magnitude of that change.

You are the one stating that the xbone reveal has no impact whatsoever on wiiu demand, so logically you are asserting that there will be no additional sales whatsoever this month over last, yes?
I have no problem being wrong. If I have made such statement, I retract it. As it was wrong and I was wrong to make it, and I've already made statement to the contrary.

It may lead to some sales. Revelations will drive some sales too, however few they may be. But my primary point is, and has been, it is not the major driver that people seem to be implying it is, nor is it the reason for the large positional movement seen on this one particular site, which just happened to coincide with price drop.

As for who here is stating significant increases, anyone who is implying it is the primary reason for this positional movement would be indicating they believe it to be a significant factor. If you don't believe it's the primary reason and or accept that price is likely the primary reason for movement, then I don't know what you take issue with.

It isn't hyperbolic to ask whether if one believes a greater globally impacting effect is in play, beyond the rather obvious effect of a site-specific price cut, that is the primary reason for this significant movement whether one also expects sales at other retailers or in other territories to follow suit and move significantly as well.

If you want I can draw numerous examples of price changes causing positional shifts or changes in absolute units to corroborate the idea that the primary reason for this movement is a price change. If for whatever reason people are incredulous to the idea.

But can you, or anyone else, as asked point to any other retailer, any other region, any other corroborating data whatsoever, to show the XBO announcement has increased sales substantially and what we're seeing on Amazon.co.uk in terms of positional movement is a result of that across the board improvement in demand due to the reduction of ambiguity and not the large price drop that occurred on that site?

Same usual suspects, same usual arguments. God give it a rest guys. You all were in the 'all of a sudden thread spewing the same crappy and things happen literally before your eyes and still. You guys probably don't realize it, but there are things you cannot tangibly gauge, consumer sentiments being one.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You predicted Wii was going to be big against people that couldn't see the writing on the wall.
You predicted WiiU was going to be big and was wrong.

It turns out your "method" isn't very good and is perhaps being affected by something.
I have no method per se. It's merely a feeling. I believe Wii U will soon have system sellers, franchises people usually buy by millions. I believe in the product, I think its abyssal sales have everything to do with price, delays and poor launch execution, these last things I didn't expect. I believe Nintendo is about to change that with price reduction, an ironed OS and better marketing promoting their system sellers.

At last I believe people love Nintendo, their family toy image/nostalgia makes them a good candidate for a rebound, if execution problems are indeed taken care of.

As for who here is stating significant increases, anyone who is implying it is the primary reason for this positional movement would be indicating they believe it to be a significant factor. If you don't believe it's the primary reason and or accept that price is likely the primary reason for movement, then I don't know what you take issue with.

You do get that a significant factor (motivation) is not the same as a significant number (quantity) right?

It's the same word, but it is used in different contexts.

10 million people might find details of the xbone a significant factor to be more disposed towards a wiiu and still not be motivated enough to buy one.

Is anyone here actually saying a significant number of people are buying a wiiu?

I understand calls for more nuance. However, what you're specifically arguing almost strikes me as some assertion that any type of analysis on market trends is rather useless. You attack shinra for being vague and allowing for wiggle room, but meanwhile your position is that if there's any uptick at all, it's fair to suggest that the XB1 reveal may have played a part because, after all, how can we know? Consumers aren't one monolithic entity, and surely there's someone out there that fits the criteria for what we're suggesting.

But, in terms of NPD, it sold 37K last month. I would sincerely hope that there's an uptick regardless of whatever hypothetical reason we're attributing it to. The variance for 2013 has been anywhere from about 37K to 67K. So if this month just happened to fall right smack dab in the middle there at about 52K, do we call that an uptick in interest due to the disappointing XB1 reveal despite the fact that it's still down from February and March?

I think some degree of magnitude is important to conjecture in determining whether or not a contributing reason is significant in the broad sense. Otherwise, we're just opening the floodgates for any piece of anecdotal evidence to be considered meaningful.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Even if it does cause a change you won't see much of a result in May NPD, it would likely only be marginal anyway and only affect the just over the last week. June would probably be a better Judge.

Why are some people in here upset at the idea that the Wii U possibly got a sales bump?

Personally, I think this paints the situation very disingenuously. I don't think anyone is throwing keyboards because the Wii U had a sales spike at one store that might possibly mean that it's stock is on the rise, and that's bad because it means their stock "Wii U is tanking" posts will need to be revised. I think some people just have more of an interest in this Sales-Age stuff than others and as a result are standoffish towards analysis that strikes them as flimsy. If other indicators paint a similar picture over anything even vaguely resembling a sustained period, I think many of the people here rejecting that this represents some sort of gain in momentum would probably change their view.

Gustav

Banned
iVTT7iHZ0KMgK.gif

AHAHAHAHA! What the hell, dude? Did you just make this?

You do get that a significant factor (motivation) is not the same as a significant number (quantity) right?

It's the same word, but it is used in different contexts.

10 million people might find details of the xbone a significant factor to be more disposed towards a wiiu and still not be motivated enough to buy one.

Is anyone here actually saying a significant number of people are buying a wiiu?
The thread is about an increase in the Wii U's Amazon.co.uk charting movement. That is the "significant number" in question, the sales metric in question, that has changed significantly.

And yes, people are attributing that movement to the X1 reveal and resultant change in available information.

When a far more obvious explanation and primary reason is available.

Since, I'm not sure if you've actually stated as such: Do you think that the primary reason for this positional movement on Amazon.co.uk is the X1 reveal, rather than the 70 pound price cut it received?
If other indicators paint a similar picture over anything even vaguely resembling a sustained period, I think many of the people here rejecting that this represents some sort of gain in momentum would probably change their view.
Precisely. If there's some sort of visible movement beyond this site, that shows a wider effect in play, or if some sustained effect, then I'd personally by all means be willing to eat my delicious crow and accept that some wider effect was in play beyond this being the result of the price cut. But as yet, no one has presented anything towards corroborating that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The thread is about an increase in the Wii U's Amazon.co.uk charting movement. That is the "significant number" in question, the sales metric in question, that has changed significantly.

And yes, people are attributing that movement to the X1 reveal and resultant change in available information.

When a far more obvious explanation and primary reason is available.

Since, I'm not sure if you've actually stated as such: Do you think that the primary reason for this positional movement on Amazon.co.uk is the X1 reveal, rather than the 70 pound price cut it received?
Precisely. If there's some sort of visible movement beyond this site, that shows a wider effect in play, or if some sustained effect, then I'd personally by all means be willing to eat my delicious crow and accept that some wider effect was in play beyond this being the result of the price cut. But as yet, no one has presented anything towards corroborating that.

I think it comes down to lack of information, Amazon is one of the few sites that really shows changes in ranking so unless someone was actively watching the rankings on other sites we wouldn't know.

Regardless Amazon is by far the biggest online retailer in an country that's online retailer centric so it was always going to be hard to pick them apart.

upandaway

I'm confused, wasn't Wii U Basic like £149 or something a few weeks ago? Now it's £219, and people are buying it?

My head.

Its a £20 price cut over the price it was at a month ago.

Yes, I would imagine a majority chunk of these sales are of people who have now rejected the possibility of purchasing an xbone outright.

My most likely scenario would be people who anticipated buying 2 consoles, and have decided to go with a wiiu / PS4 combo instead of a xbone / ps4 combo are these buyers. There is not a significantly big enough price discount for these purchasers to be impulse buying (£20 is a meal at a restaurant money), and there are not any software announcements to justify 'single console' purchase groups.

The group buying as a result of xbone announcements are likely medium-savvy early adopters with disposable incomes looking for their 'next fix' gadget, hence my belief its the 'I was going to buy 2 consoles anyway" crowd, who've decided they might as get one gadget while they wait for the next.

It's a £70 price cut over the price it was at the day before the Xbox reveal.

I don't find it that plausible that there are that many people who were only holding out for a price change of greater than £50, and whose consumer habits are entirely loyal to Amazon to the extent that they skipped over eevry other better price cut at Zavvi / HMV / Asda until now.

Jawmuncher

Regardless what's going on now, depending on what Sony says about used games. Nintendo will have an angle to sell consoles with that alone.

SmokyDave

I don't find it that plausible that there are that many people who were only holding out for a price change of greater than £50, and whose consumer habits are entirely loyal to Amazon to the extent that they skipped over eevry other better price cut at Zavvi / HMV / Asda until now.

I've no idea either way, I just thought it was far more relevant than the price a month ago, given that the whole topic is framed around the Xbone reveal.

Effect

Regardless of the cause I wonder if this would be enough to kick Amazon.com in the ass and for them to start selling Nintendo hardware. That's so much damn money they're leaving on the table I would think even if it was just selling the 3DS. Especially this coming holiday season.

We don't even know how many people "that many people" are. That this is a zero sum game where Microsoft's stock declining might have an impact on other companies' stock rising is worth considering, but I feel that this analysis is getting carried away in light of the fact that -- barring more evidence -- a price cut at one retailer perfectly explains increased sales at said retailer.

You seriously, honestly believe that there are any considerable number of people who just wanted a Wii U but were holding out for news from Microsoft first? It isn't even as if the sales went up that much, it still didn't even break the top 40 in sales for the site even after the fire sale.

But yeah, a sales spike from a major price drop is way less likely of an explanation.

Raydeen

We'll know when Wii U has really survived when Gahiggidy posts a reciept of it. In his basement. Is he even still on NeoGaf?!?

You seriously, honestly believe that there are any considerable number of people who just wanted a Wii U but were holding out for news from Microsoft first? It isn't even as if the sales went up that much, it still didn't even break the top 40 in sales for the site even after the fire sale.

But yeah, a sales spike from a major price drop is way less likely of an explanation.

Well as of right now it is back at the £270 price point, so we'll be able to see if price is the major factor when it falls back down to its prior position, or if knowledge of the market is the motivator if it doesn't.

SuomiDude

Damn, Wii U basic pack is 249,95€ on one Finnish online store. That's the price I was waiting for, but for the premium pack, but it's still very tempting. Should I go for it? What are the real advantages of the premium pack when I'm not going to download retail games from the store, but I'm going to buy several WiiUWare games. I'm not really that interested in Nintendo Land, but basic has tiny storage capacity so I should buy an external HDD pretty soon. Damn, what to do...

krizzx

it's really a mystery, I mean, Gaf's been so kind to Nintendo as of late

Kind? Where has this occurred, because I certainly haven't seen it.

Damn, Wii U basic pack is 249,95€ on one Finnish online store. That's the price I was waiting for, but for the premium pack, but it's still very tempting. Should I go for it? What are the real advantages of the premium pack when I'm not going to download retail games from the store, but I'm going to buy several WiiUWare games. I'm not really that interested in Nintendo Land, but basic has tiny storage capacity so I should buy an external HDD pretty soon. Damn, what to do...

249.95€ = $323.34

That's about what we pay in America.

SuomiDude

Yeah it's a good price (it includes tax and I think Wii was 249€ here when it was released as well), but I think my main concern is should I wait for the premium pack for the same price, or should I go for the basic pack. I think black console and controller looks a bit nicer than white, especially since all my other electronics are also black, but I don't know...

Top Bottom