• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's first three PC games unveiled: New World, Breakaway, and Crucible

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So the first two were pretty short glimpses and the last one got most of the attention.

The general trend here was trying to make games built around the streamer generation that aren't exactly like the games out there today. I'm not sure if any of them will be good, but they are at least relatively inventive.

https://games.amazon.com/games

New World:
- Essentially it's an open world sandbox MMO where you colonize 17th century North America, but the twist here is that all the supernatural stuff people from the era believed is actually true.
- You can build towns, forts, and camps as permanent world spaces.
- You can also choose whether to be a farmer, crafter, adventurer, or do all of these types of things depending on how you like the play the game. If you remember the old era of sandbox MMOs, you've probably got the right idea.
- You can also work with or against other players, and it generally simulates the whole world going through the year from seasons to 24 hour day cycles to weather to crop growing to etc.
- I'm guessing this game is probably the farthest off of the three given the state of the art assets, but it seemed like the one that'd interest GAF posters the most so I put it first.
- Video: https://www.twitch.tv/playbreakaway/v/92134477?t=10m05s

Amazon Official Description said:
New World is a massively multiplayer, open-ended sandbox game that allows you to carve your own destiny with other players in a living, hostile, cursed land. How you play, what you do, and whom you work with or against is up to you. Live on your own amidst the supernatural terrors or join with others to build thriving civilizations. In this evolving world that transforms with the changing of the seasons, weather, and time of day, the only limit is your own ambition.

51l-tnn25vl._ac_sl150n1su6.jpg

21xdlqr5k2blzdsar.jpg

newworld15xs7m.png

newworld23vs0s.png

newworld3z0skn.png

newworld475si5.png

newworld5arsrb.png

Crucible:
- This is a third person shooter where 12 players enter an alien planet, and the last one surviving wins. However, the twist is that the world is very hostile and the players have to work together in order to survive, so there's a large social trust aspect of when to ally with other players and when to ultimately betray them to try and win.
- There's also a 13th player who can serve as game master while streaming the game and create events and other various challenges for the players to deal with. The streamer's audience can also interact with the game world as well through unspecified means.
- Video: https://www.twitch.tv/playbreakaway/v/92134477?t=09m34s

Amazon said:
Crucible is a battle to the last survivor on a hostile alien world. Players choose and customize heroes, making alliances and betraying allies on their path to victory. An additional player heightens the drama by triggering events, live-streaming the battles, and interacting with viewers.

71a4ssi3yol._ac_sl1028ksuo.jpg

71kl9q1nc2bl._ac_sl15sns4x.jpg

crucible15os2l.png

crucible2ousdg.png

crucible3pvs8e.png

crucible4aessr.png

Breakaway:
- This is the game that was actually unveiled in a full manner.
- Breakaway is 4v4 sports game where you try to get a ball into the other team's goal. First to three wins, and after ever goal, a new round is started.
- The players are each character classes ranging from DPS to tanks to supports, with each being a hero character as is popular these days. Each character has a wide variety of abilities.
- When holding the ball, if you take damage, you drop the ball, though you have a variety of movement moves that can help you get around better.
- Players also have health bars, and when they die, they're out for a while, making it easier to score. This is where the nature of the classes also plays in a bit.
- There's also a large base building element where you can build up various defenses to help defend your goal while you make a push, or to push through the enemy's defenses. These cost money that you seemingly collect from picking up shards on the map or killing other players.
- If no one scores by the end of 2 minutes, the team that has more control of the map (as determined by their net worth which is a mix of their buildables and some other things I think?) gets the point.
- Buildables persist between rounds, and at the end of each round, you can also use your cash to buy upgrades to your abilities.
- There's a wide variety of streaming and spectating tools build into the game.
- Website with alpha sign-ups and general game information: https://playbreakaway.com/
- There's a full match video here: https://www.twitch.tv/playbreakaway/v/92134477?t=38m25s

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Crucible is definitely the most interesting to me. New World sounds really lofty and cool, but I find open world sandbox games to never be as cool as they're being lauded.

New World sounds amazing. Hope it gets lots of exposure coming up. Breakaway sounds like DeathRow, and it's unexplainable but the last two games look/remind me visually of BattleBorn or OverWatch.

I'm actually interested in all three of these. Wonder if Prime members will get any added bonus aside from the usual discount? Then again, these are all multiplayer and could very well be F2P.

New World sounds great.
IMO: Crucible sounds like a fun Evolve. And Breakaway reminds me of Rocket League + Overwatch + MOBAs. I haven't played a MOBA since the dota mod, but this seems like it could be a ton of fun with friends.

Briarios

You get to colonize the New World? Cool -- you and your friends can commit genocide on the Native Americans for fun and profit.

Seriously, they should have just created a unique fantasy world rather than bring in something with so much baggage.

Zia

Crucible and especially New World sound pretty cool, though it's surprising to me how early everything looks considering Amazon Game Studios has been up and running for a few years now.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
From those descriptions I'm the most interested in the New World, but more in a "will it fail terribly like all other ambitions open world sandbox mmo projects" way. It would be cool if one with a decent budget succeeded though.

New world sounds like it's trying to be Ultima Online.

PLEASE BY ALL THAT IS HOLY IN THE WORLD BE FUCKING TRUE.

RICHARD GARRIOT HAS LET ME DOWN, DON'T PLAY WITH MY HEART BEZOS.

Y3skC06.jpg

Tagyhag

If New World gets really deep and allows for an insane amount of customization, all while being fun to play, it could end up being a huge game.

Wurm Online is a good benchmark.

New World seems pretty interesting all things considered. Coming from EVE, other people have very different interpretations of what sandbox means, so I'll reserve judgement till we hear more.

The Amazon page has a "preorder price guarantee" of $0. Does this actually mean anything assuming I put the preorder in now?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
All of these games sound so...typically generic and modern video gamey, if you get my meaning. Its all multiplayer only and endless service based type infrastructure based game design, built for endless youtube and twitching.

Can't get on board with it, although i know atleast 2 of those games look promising in their own rights.

So far they've only been announced for PC. It's not impossible they show up elsewhere, but I'm not sure if anyone has asked Amazon about this directly.

Yeah I was just curious. I knew PC was a confirmed platform. I didn't watch the presentation though so wasn't sure if they possibly mentioned any console support.

Sou Da

All of these games sound so...typically modern video gamey. Its all multiplayer only and endless service based type infrastructure.

Can't get on board with it, although i know atleast 2 of those games look promising in their own rights.

Amazon owns twitch, they're only ever going to produce games that do well on Twitch.

Symphonic

Good question. Unfortunate lack of a Prime app on my Apple TV leads me to believe they're confident enough to launch these games exclusively through Amazon. Which would be unfortunate.

DOA if true. Amazon's UI for anything proprietary outside of the Amazon Video app is all shit. They spread themselves so thin.

duckroll

Hot take:

New World - Sounds dope as a concept, will probably be boring and unfinished before getting rushed out of the door because Amazon

Crucible - Stupid. Deathmatch is boring, Survivor Deathmatch is just as boring. The "Gamemaster" shit failed with Fable Legends and will fail here.

Breakaway - Looks like Amazon dropped the ball.

Quonny

Wow, Breakaway looks awful. Simply awful.

New World looks like it might be too ambitious.

Crucible isn't my cup of tea.

Also lol the last two showed absolutely nothing.

Breakaway feels like it is falling down the Evolve trap of announcing itself as an eSport and demanding people care. I cannot see that forceful attitude going too well.

Ashodin

So far they've only been announced for PC. It's not impossible they show up elsewhere, but I'm not sure if anyone has asked Amazon about this directly.

Ah shit I was away doing other stuff when the fun happened (or cringe, as I read)

So Breakaway is basically Overwatch + Rocket League. Heroes to choose from (I actually give props to the black gunslinger! Seems to be a Django + Will Smith Wild West mashup)

Also yep at the holy shit sexual dimorphism going on in the game! All the women (so far) are fucking models with huge boobs and hips lmao. This is the type of shit Feminist Frequency lives for.

As regards to New World (I'm guessing this is Seattle's game, based on who I know are working at Amazon) it sounds really sweet, and VERY much like what EverQuest Next was going to be. Very open ended MMO.

As regards to Crucible, it has that "Evolved" feel to it IMO.

Top Bottom