• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's 'The Man in the High Castle' |OT| Man, that is a high castle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much! Note this is from the book but I am guessing not much is changed

Man_In_The_High_Castle_map.PNG

This looks like a late phase game of Risk. :p

daninthemix

Loved this show. Yes it's slow, but it has a brooding ambience that just sucked me right in. It's so mysterious, and while I was frustrated that no answers whatsoever were given by the end, it's left me wanting a second season.

Juliana is cool. She's tough, but also a softee. Calm, but not cold. Great female lead, imo. Other characters were also great - notably the Japanese trade minister and obergruppenfuhrer Smith.

These Netflix and Amazon originals are just amazing. This is a new age for TV.

jerry113

Banned
Sooooo I get the inkling that Hitler hordes/is obsessed with studying the films because his complete knowledge of them and a familiarity with how things transpired in the future (our timeline) is what enabled him to win the war and create the show's timeline.

So rad.

Oh shieeet.....

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Finished Episode 6 and think it's pretty solid so far but one thing doesn't make any sense to me

Why the hell can Juliane just walk into the Nippon and start working there as if nothing happened? They killed a mother and her two kids to find her and now they don't care or even worse don't even notice it's her? It's not like she changed her name or anything. Even if she was just a random girl, there's no way they'd let an american girl into these secret meetings on her second day on the job without performing any kind of background check. And if they did a check, they would've realized who she is.

Something else: What's the significance of the necklace? I sincerely hope the trade minister keeps the necklace because he thinks it's pretty or something and not because he already assumes that it must belong to the killer. It would be silly to find a random object on the ground where thousands of people just ran for their lives and immediately conclude that it must belong to the killer when it could belong to anyone.

Are they streaming this in 4K yet? I thought the pilot was UHD, but I can't find it in my Samsung app anymore. Don't know if my tv isn't registering right, or if they haven't released the UHD yet.

Jacob4815

The Man in The High Castle IS NOT
Hitler.
The teory is officially debunked.

This is what Spotnitz says
“You won’t meet him in the first season and you won’t find out [about where the film comes from]. There’s clues, definitely. Very strong clues in Season 1, but I don’t answer it in Season 1,” says Spotnitz. “When this was originally written for Syfy as a four-hour miniseries, we met the man in the high castle in episode 4.

“There was a period when I started working on the series when I thought I was still going to do that, but then I realized it was rushing the narrative, so I took him out of Season 1 entirely.”

http://zap2it.com/2015/11/season-1-hints-man-in-the-high-castles-identity/

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Finished it now.

I just wish they didn't focus so much on Julianna, Frank and Joe. The premise of the show is very interesting but I feel like they could've done so much more. I just don't care about this stupid and pointless love triangle they got going. Their story just seems completely insignificant in the grand scheme of things and they feel so detached from their world whereas Smith and the others feel like an actual part of it.

It reminded me of the show Revolution. Very interesting sci-fi premise but instead of focusing on that, we had to watch some annoying teenage girl go on a field trip to find her brother.

Some speculation on a minor character that I saw on Reddit which I thought was very interesting.
There must be more to the assistant of the Trade Minister. The constant "meditate, it's important", the burns on his arms (why would they show that?) and him being from Nagasaki, him saying that the minister is "too good for this world"?

I'm not saying that he is the mithc, but there's definitely more to his character.

Gotchaye

Just finished.

Someone I was watching with kept thinking that the films were
propaganda, but I thought it was obvious from really early on that there was sci-fi stuff going on - you're not faking that footage at that time, and the second film we see with Frank and Joe basically confirms this. That said, I don't think there's been any evidence of time travel. All of the films are of events that occurred before the current date in the show. The Trade Minister ends up in the same place he left from in the early 1960s (I didn't catch the newspaper date, but JFK).

I don't think that the Man in the High Castle is
Hitler. I mean, yes, he's a man in a high castle, but I don't think we need to resort to weird theories about him trying to get the resistance to get the films to him - the resistance only wants the films because the MitHC wants them and if the resistance didn't want the films it'd be a lot easier for the SS to get them. And we're told early on that Hitler wants the films, so that's not a surprise. I think the MitHC is more likely to be someone who can move between worlds like the Trade Minister, or it's someone in the world of actual history who employs these people. The Trudy that Julianna saw one day might be one of these people, for example. The Trade Minister's assistant has weird burns and is from Nagasaki. I guess I wouldn't be that surprised if the Man is someone who's trying to protect the timestream or whatever by collecting artifacts from one universe that have fallen into another.

Mostly I liked it, but like some others have said the bits with Julianna and Joe were some of the worst parts of the show.

lord pie

I quite enjoyed the series.
It's a pity the two weakest characters/actors are the main pair, both in writing and acting/casting. I got so sick of "Scene with Joe smoking anxiously no. 43" or "Scene with Juliana holding back the tears no. 62".

I quite like that they show most of the Nazi characters as predominantly normal people; and how brutality, racism, fascism etc have becomes normal accepted thought and behavior for people on all sides. It would have been so easy for them to have fallen into the all Nazis are evil cliché - I'm glad they didn't because it makes the contrasts all the stronger.

One incredibly petty thing that really bugged a lot: For all the characters with glasses; their lenses don't distort at all. :p

AndrewPL

I liked the show, really hope there is a second season.

There were a lot of questions but almost none of them were answered.

Done,
great show.
Would be so much better without the Joe, Juliana and Frank subplot though. They are all insufferable.

Also it's refreshing for the Germans to actually speak German when they speak German.

Just saw the last episode of S1 and holyshit
that hitler scene was intense

Indeed.

Reading back a few pages with the spoilers now I do have to wonder if anyone actually likes Joe, Juliana and Frank...
I sure wouldn't miss them if they where just found dead at the beginning of S2. :p

Timbuktu

Ultimately the world was more interesting than the story and the main characters, so I found it pretty disappointed.
I might have preferred if it wasn't so heavy on the sci fi element

Got into this recently. Just finished episode 3. Very enjoyable so far! I have to admit though, the fact that the two lead characters are so damn good looking really helps! Mmmm wonder if that makes me shallow...

Hey man, are you serious?

Like holy shit, if they're doing what I think they are with that.

I need to collect my thoughts on the plot and present them coherently soon. I will say that I had to watch it at my own pace, which turned out to be one week. I just cant binge these things.

Never did I find it boring. Juliana, John, Frank, Cary "Shang Tsung" T and and the Japanese inspector are the characters I became invested in. Hell of a journey they took.

I must also add that the misadventures of the antique dealer is the right type if humor for the show. I enjoyed what he sent through.

Good show!

Overstatement of the century.

I didn't mean the entire series of course. It's still fascinating and all that. It's just that I was speculating stuff in my head and it would've been fun to discover it on my own rather than get a spoiler. But whatever, still looking forward to watching more. I'll just stay out of here till I'm done. 5 more to go!

Hey man, are you serious?

Like holy shit, if they're doing what I think they are with that.

I need to collect my thoughts on the plot and present them coherently soon. I will say that I had to watch it at my own pace, which turned out to be one week. I just cant binge these things.

Never did I find it boring. Juliana, John, Frank, Cary "Shang Tsung" T and and the Japanese inspector are the characters I became invested in. Hell of a journey they took.

I must also add that the misadventures of the antique dealer is the right type if humor for the show. I enjoyed what he sent through.

Good show!

Great show, but I agree it's hard to binge watch. It's actually perfect for slow-boiling weekly TV, since the pacing doesn't exactly throw you forward.

Motoko

Just finished. WOW.

I can't believe I spent 10 hours of my life for this mountain of shit.

This show is an insult to one of the best book ever.

fester

Banned
I liked the show, really hope there is a second season.

There were a lot of questions but almost none of them were answered.

I'm only two episodes in, but my hope was that the series would be wrapped up succinctly instead of dragging on and on. I could handle a second season, but anything past that seems like it runs the risk of ruining it much like Battlestar Galactica did.

fester

Banned
Just finished. WOW.

I can't believe I spent 10 hours of my life for this mountain of shit.

This show is an insult to one of the best book ever.

If it's possible to share your thoughts in a spoiler-free manner, I'm interested in why you think the show is so shitty compared to the book.

Vert boil

Finished the season.

Bleh at the ending, almost Ascension level guff. At least I was amused when I thought I saw 'Adolf Hitler as Himself' in the credits.

Haven't read the books but my gut reaction after the initial pilot was pretty spot on, a much better adaptation is on the desk of someone else. Add to that soo many convenient moments, character doing utterly stupid things and trilogy/bridge syndrome of having to sit through a few movies/seasons to get any payoff.

*long protracted fart*

Motoko

If it's possible to share your thoughts in a spoiler-free manner, I'm interested in why you think the show is so shitty compared to the book.

Well, first of all a tv show is not suited to tell this story, would have been better a movie or a 3-4 episodes running.
The authors change too many details which are necessary to understand the meaning of the story (in the book). Last, the finale is really terrible (something that remind me to Heroes LOL), and I'm not mention some changes in the characters development.
it's totally distort. Imho.

edit:
Ah, I forgot to tell about some plot holes.

Please watch it, and tell me your thoughts too. Better if you read the book first.

Well, first of all a tv show is not suited to tell this story, would have been better a movie or a 3-4 episodes running.
The authors change too many details which are necessary to understand the meaning of the story (in the book). Last, the finale is really terrible (something that remind me to Heroes LOL), and I'm not mention some changes in the characters development.
it's totally distort. Imho.

edit:
Ah, I forgot to tell about some plot holes.

Please watch it, and tell me your thoughts too. Better if you read the book first.

I read the book but I don't expect the show to follow it closely. As a Philip K. Dick fan, I am used to directors not following his stories and only using them as Points of entry. Only Richard Linklater has ever been true to a PKD book with A Scanner Darkly.

Zutroy

Up to episode six and enjoying it so far, but one question:
has there been a mention of grasshopper in previous episodes that I'm forgetting? I'm not sure why both the leads have seen a file with its name and are suddenly extremely interested in it.

120v

just finished ... it ended up a lot better than i thought. the first two episodes left me kinda meh and i wasn't in a rush to watch the rest when they dropped on Prime. but then by episode 6 or so i was in binge mode

i agree with folks who don't care much for the 3 main leads... i feel like it was a studio decision to have attractive 20-somethings at the forefront of everything because reasons. i think it's fairly predictable how the love triangle will be resolved but who knows maybe i'll be surprised

i read the book back when i was obsessed with philip dick but it's all a blur to me now so i can't really comment on how it fares with the source material. something about I Ching and blacks' and jews' bones being used for tools. or something. not that i expect faithfulness to a PKD adaptation anyway

platakul

Banned
fuuuuuck loved it

Spoilers for the whole season (also BSGs4 spoilers)

I think Spotniz might be being sly when he says Hitmans isn't the MAN. but if he's real about that, then what if the Man is living in that castle in the real world. Who would that be? Because that is definitely the high castle even if hitler isn't the man. that would be like BSG levels of earth oh wait...

Just finished it.

Thought it was pretty good. Nothing phenomenal as the ads made it seem but a pretty solid alternate universe depiction. I did feel the "MAIN" characters, Joe and Julianne were pretty meh. Both were really stupid to be honest. I found Tagomi, Frank, and even Franks friend much more intriguing. I'm not sure if that was the writing or the acting.

As for the ending. I really liked it. Very interesting take on the Man in the High Castle lol. I really think they shouldn't renew for another season as it will likely fall into that inevitable trap of having to explain everything to the audience when in reality, the implications of the ending allow the audience to savor the meat rather than be force fed.

Just finished it. Amazing overall. I really hope there's a season 2 and they focus more on the very intriguing plot and less on the character melodrama, regardless of how damn pretty looking they are.

Kahoona

The One and Done™;187140753 said:
Just finished it.

Thought it was pretty good. Nothing phenomenal as the ads made it seem but a pretty solid alternate universe depiction. I did feel the "MAIN" characters, Joe and Julianne were pretty meh. Both were really stupid to be honest. I found Tagomi, Frank, and even Franks friend much more intriguing. I'm not sure if that was the writing or the acting.

As for the ending. I really liked it. Very interesting take on the Man in the High Castle lol. I really think they shouldn't renew for another season as it will likely fall into that inevitable trap of having to explain everything to the audience when in reality, the implications of the ending allow the audience to savor the meat rather than be force fed.

I think Obergruppenfurher Smith was the best character on the show personally.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Up to episode six and enjoying it so far, but one question:
has there been a mention of grasshopper in previous episodes that I'm forgetting? I'm not sure why both the leads have seen a file with its name and are suddenly extremely interested in it.

It's also
written on the film reels

It's also
written on the film reels

I read somewhere it's in the
King James version of Ecclesiastes 12:5
which relates to the time given to
Juliana to meet at the cafe
too.
also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:

Sorry for spoiler tagging stuff but i'm not sure what to reveal. I hate
Redacted
threads but GAH! :)

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I'm on episode 5 and I really like the side characters and the world, but absolutely hate the three main characters. Not-Trudy is obnoxious, Joe seems to stare at everything for a second too long before he speaks, and the part-Jewish boyfriend has gotten to the point where he's just chewing scenery.

I'd watch an entire series that surrounds the Japanese delegates, or OppenheizerSchlagenDuzelFuhrer though. Hopefully S1 gets better in the next 5 and they fix what's broken for S2.

i didn't really understand the meaning of Obergruppenfuhrer Smiths meeting with

the doctor.. he said that he wouldn't put his sons illness on file? what would happen if he did?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom