• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's 'The Man in the High Castle' |OT| Man, that is a high castle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltoid

Banned
i didn't really understand the meaning of Obergruppenfuhrer Smiths meeting with

the doctor.. he said that he wouldn't put his sons illness on file? what would happen if he did?
the legally required procedure (execution) would be carried out by government

Irminsul

the doctor.. he said that he wouldn't put his sons illness on file? what would happen if he did?
Well, the Nazis (the real ones) called it "euthanasia", in reality it was killing people with disabilities because they supposedly weakened the race.

just finished the series. i found the setting and the premise very interesting, but i feel that it really failed to deliever, and i couldn't really understand why i didn't like it so much until the very last scene...
the trade minister finding himself in our america made me realize the problem i had with the series is that while there is some hint of alternate timeline fuckery and time travel, it takes a step back and lets the main characters dominate the plot. as a result instead of really using the period for something intersting (the fact that it's specifically japan and germany controlling separate parts of America doesn't play into anything; for the vast majority of the series it could've been two generic countries splitting up another generic country as tensions rise). when the trade minister ended up in real america, it made me realize how much better the series would've been with a main character from our timeline waking up in that timeline, and his/her struggle to get back by trying to reach the man in the high castle.

speaking of, i felt that the idea of not explaining anything because you want to do it in season two wasn't partically reassuring that the plot is actually going anywhere good. if you look at the best shows not based off of a source material, they usually end the current conflict in the season finale while maybe opening up a new one at the last moment, or at least teasing a new one. this finale instead felt like a cliffhanger for a normal show that'd get followed up upon by the next episode in the season, not in a year when they finish the next season.

Tiktaalik

i'm amazed that some of this was filmed in Seattle. Also impressed they got to put
Nazi flags on an Austrian castle. (don't think this is really a spoiler, but just in case)

It's very slow, but I think overall it was really well done. I wanted a little more action and intensity towards the end, but i'd gladly watch more.

I recognized a lot of scenes from Vancouver. The Empress Hotel they showed a few times is in the Downtown Eastside abutting Chinatown and has a lot of nearby rough looking alleys that they probably made use of.

The SS building is the Macmillan Bloedel Building, which is a noteable Vancouver building designed by one of Canada's most famous architects, Aurther Erickson. It was used in the X-Files a bunch for "generic evil government building." http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=8781

Pryce

So I'm think that
Hitler is not the Man in the High Castle.

I also think that the Nazi's in our time line somehow managed to figure out worm holes (or something) so that our Hitler could go to another parallel time line to help the other Hitler. The MHC Hitler has the tapes from the parallel universe because of our Hitler/Nazi's.

That's my theory anyway.

Saty

Finished watching it. Overall it was solid and has potential for improvement. I partially agree with some of the criticism and that the moment-to-moment plot isn't all that. I dislike Binge-released shows but i think TMitHC would have suffered more as a weekly thing 'cause i'm not sure the episodes were strong enough to endure a week between airings. However, having all the eps available may encourage over-reliance on twists and cliffhangers to get people watching the next episode as fast as possible. Anyhow, i'll definitely check the second season if it will be made.

More spolierish discussion:

-
I liked Juliana. It's Joe that wasn't all that hot. The writers had a tall order making us care about the relationship between the two and how Joe is supposedly 'transformed' after his time with her - so yeah, that wasn't the best of the season. However, sending him away at the end is great. The question is if he's going to return straight back, which i hope he doesn't.

- Frank Frink's stuff were generally good. I still can't get over the name, though. Frank Frink? Out of ideas for names?
- So that old SD agent Juliana kills was a Nazi agent? Why was he tasked with the same mission Joe was?

-
Really didn't understand why Kido was still going to kill himself after finding out who shot the Prince. Why is the gun Frank made a big deal? If the Japanese are going to sentence Ed for the assassination attempt then who cares about the gun? You're going to cover it up that the shooter was a Nazi official. You are going to cover up the COD and weapon used (wound types completely different) so why does Kido care about the stupid gun and treats its' discovery as what saves him? Only because that's the gun the father and son said they saw? Common now. You are fabricating everything about this, you could also have fake-witnesses. You could pull any man from the street you wanted and frame him and be done with it.

Frink should just have left the empty gun at the Yakuza's turf after he and Joe escaped them.

At first i thought Kido is going to frame his Sergeant -- that would have been the 'burden'. The Yakuza's Boss' price for the intel was the Sergent's life (because he insulted him at the club).
It was lame that the only real resolution we got this season (who shot the Prince) was on the merits of an out-of-the-blue tip from the Yakuza.

Hari Seldon

I just finished episode 6. So far the show has been really solid but not great, but episode 6 was legit great. This show is definitely a keeper, especially as there is nothing else remotely close to being this good on right now.

Kahoona

Finished watching it. Overall it was solid and has potential for improvement. I partially agree with some of the criticism and that the moment-to-moment plot isn't all that. I dislike Binge-released shows but i think TMitHC would have suffered more as a weekly thing 'cause i'm not sure the episodes were strong enough to endure a week between airings. However, having all the eps available may encourage over-reliance on twists and cliffhangers to get people watching the next episode as fast as possible. Anyhow, i'll definitely check the second season if it will be made.

More spolierish discussion:

-
I liked Juliana. It's Joe that wasn't all that hot. The writers had a tall order making us care about the relationship between the two and how Joe is supposedly 'transformed' after his time with her - so yeah, that wasn't the best of the season. However, sending him away at the end is great. The question is if he's going to return straight back, which i hope he doesn't.

- Frank Frink's stuff were generally good. I still can't get over the name, though. Frank Frink? Out of ideas for names?
- So that old SD agent Juliana kills was a Nazi agent? Why was he tasked with the same mission Joe was?

-
Really didn't understand why Kido was still going to kill himself after finding out who shot the Prince. Why is the gun Frank made a big deal? If the Japanese are going to sentence Ed for the assassination attempt then who cares about the gun? You're going to cover it up that the shooter was a Nazi official. You are going to cover up the COD and weapon used (wound types completely different) so why does Kido care about the stupid gun and treats its' discovery as what saves him? Only because that's the gun the father and son said they saw? Common now. You are fabricating everything about this, you could also have fake-witnesses. You could pull any man from the street you wanted and frame him and be done with it.

Frink should just have left the empty gun at the Yakuza's turf after he and Joe escaped them.

At first i thought Kido is going to frame his Sergeant -- that would have been the 'burden'. The Yakuza's Boss' price for the intel was the Sergent's life (because he insulted him at the club).
It was lame that the only real resolution we got this season (who shot the Prince) was on the merits of an out-of-the-blue tip from the Yakuza.

There were quite a few plot holes / bad writing that rubbed me wrong as well.

Juliana mentions a guy saved her life? Frank gets violently angry and storms out before she even says anything else.

Joe shows up in San Francisco out of no where and suddenly stalks Juliana before asking about this new film? Oh, well that's fine; we'll find it together then. Nope, nothing weird about this at all.

ivysaur12

Banned
Finished.

The more I think about it, the more I didn't like it, and most of my criticism revolves around Joe.

What a convenient, stupid character. We never engage in why he's actually doing the things he's doing. There isn't even a hint to his true reasons and feelings, which makes his "turn" at the end with Juliana so false. I don't feel as if Joe has changed, because the show has done NOTHING to show me that this is a genuine moment for him.

Almost everything he does is due to convenience. Actually, this show has a HUGE problem with things being too Tiny Town. I could barely keep track of WHY Joe and Juliana were doing things and going where and WHY people kept trusting her and him and WHY we were supposed to care.

At least with the American Reich and (most of) the Pacific States storylines, I understood why people were doing things. I understood their motivations. It might have been bogged down too much in consequence, but I could track why people were acting the way they were (a really basic necessity for a television show, mind you). I had no such luck with anything in the Frank/Juliana/Joe/Resistance part of the show.

The fact that they didn't arrest Frank is ridiculous. They have people following him the entire season. They think he tried to murder the Prince. And......???? You're just going to let him waltz around? C'mon guys. And DJ Qualls's character can die in a fire.

The stuff that worked really well was John Smith. Rufus Sewell is a great actor, and the show had a completely different energy when he was on screen.

RE: The ending. You either get to make a dystopian alt-fiction show and that's what it is, or a dystopian show with very obvious hard sci-fi leanings. The fact that the series played everything so straight right up until the end was super frustrating, because the entire show has been built to be something completely differently, besides one breadcrumb in the pilot with the tapes. Those last few minutes? THAT was interesting. Where was that show when they were meandering around Colorado?

Also, the show looked like shit. I've seen these back alleys and warehouses and stages and woods before. Bleh. There was nothing interesting about its art direction, which should be so important in a show like this! Spend some fucking money, Amazon.

Bleh. I don't know if it was as bad as I'm describing right now, but I'm just really disappointed. Amazon drama hasn't had one good show yet, and it's frustrating to watch them throw money (though not too much money) at something this mediocre.

Not

Banned
This is a fuckin' good show

The guy who plays Obergruppenfuhrer Smith is like Christoph Waltz-levels of perfect Nazi acting.

Poor Roger the antique dealin' anti-Semitic weeaboo

Moff

I enjoyed it

I agree with most people here that the setting was great, including the actors that are part of the setting. john smith was fantastic, one of the most interesting nazis I have ever seen in a story. the trade minister, the inspector, all great actors and characters.
I also think it's very bold that smith and even hitler are somehow the "good" nazis in this story, this provided for some interesting dynamics and will continue like that in the future.
but yeah, joe, frank und juliana, their friends and families, their plot, which is sadly the main plot. was very boring. witthout the setting this would be a very clichée and uninteresting resistance story with bad pacing.

I expect season 2 to be much more interesting as I hope
we meet the cross-dimension traveling people who get those movies and less of joe/juliana/frank, or at least their plot gets more interesting with that addition

Sulik2

we meet the cross-dimension traveling people who get those movies and less of joe/juliana/frank, or at least their plot gets more interesting with that addition

Wait what? How much of this is there. I may need to watch this show, that sounds insane.

Moff

Wait what? How much of this is there. I may need to watch this show, that sounds insane.

next to nothing, yet, only hints. apart from the last 30 seconds of the whole season. which is why this season was boring for the most part.

mm04

I was disappointed with the season. I hated both Juliana and Joe. I really wanted to like it more than I did, but that wasn't in the cards. What are the odds this thing gets another season? And as someone who hasn't read the book, have they expended all the source material already?

daninthemix

next to nothing, yet, only hints. apart from the last 30 seconds of the whole season. which is why this season was boring for the most part.

This is what frustrated me. You get these tantalizing glimpses and then, effectively, "tune in next year to find out more, folks!".

I was excited for the possibilities of this show but it came off really pedestrian.
Joe was annoying and most of the characters didn't respond or talk like real people in danger. It was just odd.

I didn't care about any of these characters. Maybe I was expecting too much from it?

The best story beat was when the antiques dealer got invited for dinner.

My favorite part of the show is the haunting intro/title... ultimately I gave up. I couldn't bring myself to finish the last episode.

Ark

I fucking loved this show, and (major spoiler)
Tagomi waking up in our America was amazing.
Didn't quite see that coming as it did.

Really cannot wait for season 2. Oh man.

Just watched the first episode. Really enjoyed it, will continue watching.

I read the book years ago but I don't really remember much, which is nice.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Finished watching it all and I liked everything that didn't involve the leads (Julia, Joe, Franck...) as they were either flat, naive or whiny.

The rest of the characters were great.

scitek

Really like the show, but I have to take issue with some of the criticisms I'm reading. For example:

it made me realize how much better the series would've been with a main character from our timeline waking up in that timeline, and his/her struggle to get back by trying to reach the man in the high castle..

You literally described
The Wizard of Oz

scamander

Banned
I just started watching this and had to stop immediately, because of the German. Everything German in it, from the opening to the signs that got translated using google translator, is downright cringe-worthy. Didn't even get to someone actually speaking German, which is probably for the better.
Why is it so hard for most American tv shows to get this right? There are many German people living in the US. It shouldn't be too hard to get someone who actually speaks the language to do the translations and cast only Germans on German roles.

Thank god Homeland got it right.

I just started watching this and had to stop immediately, because of the German. Everything German in it, from the opening to the signs that got translated using google translator, is downright cringe-worthy. Didn't even get to someone actually speaking German, which is probably for the better.
Why is it so hard for most American tv shows to get this right? There are many German people living in the US. It shouldn't be too hard to get someone who actually speaks the language to do the translations and cast only Germans on German roles.

Most of the spoken German is perfectly reasonable.

The Japanese isn't pitch perfect either, but it doesn't bother me. Go watch German shows then.

Irminsul

I'm not too fond of the parts taking place in Berlin because the German is obviously translated from English, but that's a pretty hyperbolic statement. Keep in mind that most people in the US the Greater Nazi Reich are supposed to be non-native German speakers, so of course their German won't be perfect.

I think overall, it's pretty OK.

Is it that the grammar is wrong or that the accent makes it really hard to understand?
(as often happens with Latinos born in the US trying to pass as characters that are native speakers)

Is it that the grammar is wrong or that the accent makes it really hard to understand?
(as often happens with Latinos born in the US trying to pass as characters that are native speakers)

A bit of both.

I mean for example the German who smuggles the plans to the Japanese.
The actor is Danish, his German is very very good for a non native speaker, but it's somehow off ever so slightly sometimes, be it weird pronunciations of fine grammatical errors.
But in the context of the show it's fine, it might even be that he has Danish ancestry in show.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Try to switch your brain off.

Most big budget American productions won't even feature actual Spanish speakers, let alone proper texts in Spanish when portraying Latino neighbourhoods and characters.

You just can't expect some quality German lines when Hollywood is hilariously inept at finding Spanish-speaking actors in fucking California. Be glad they tried.

Really like the show, but I have to take issue with some of the criticisms I'm reading. For example:

You literally described
The Wizard of Oz

the difference there though is the wizard of oz is carried, thematically, much different than what i described, and the way the show is now
it doesn't make the most out of its setup at all. outside of small moments like "they're burning the cripples at the hospital" and that nazi getting thrown aside to let a japanese person take the cab, it could've been communist china and the USSR occupying different halves of the US, or two completely made up alien nations or even a post second civil war america or something. the intro promises much more alternate history craziness than it ever delivers, and the one part of the show that might build off of that is the stuff with the film reels and how the man in the high castle is connected to them, and you learn almost everything about that in the first episode or two that you end up knowing at the end of the season. with what i described, you at least see a big constrast as the protagonist wakes up in the world they knew except it's completely wrong. in wizard of oz, dorothy goes to a mystical land and just wants to get home--here, it's the place you've always been, but everything is fucked.

I just finished it, I enjoyed it a lot. The ending was a bit confusing though
I guess they will clarify the ending in the next season.. I did enjoy the ending - and I really like how they made you feel for characters you would not normally feel any sympathy for.

arnehelst

Just finished it. Awesome show.

About the gun preventing the detective's suicide. I think what they meant was that the evidence had to be convincing enough for the generals in Japan, otherwise they be crazy enough to start the war.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just ended it.

Very good show. Enjoyed it a fucktonne. Rufus was amazing in every single scene he was in.

Can someone explain the ending though? Are we seeing something similar to
Bioshock Infinite
here? Would be grateful.

Just finished the last episode.

What a fucking masterclass in forgetting to tell the viewer WHY THE FUCK WE SHOULD CARE

Holy Christ was a fucking infuriatingly stupid show. They put so much effort into so many aspects of it, and just completely dropped the fucking ball.

I want to say more, but I can't think of a better summation than infuriatingly stupid.

Magni

I watched all of it, but I'm bummed by all the nonsensical English-speaking, especially on the Japanese side. Narcos handled it much better (la wea po!), this really ruined entire scenes for me.

Also wow are Joe and Juliana boring. The only characters I enjoyed were the Nazis and the Japanese, was that the point?

Full season caps lock spoilers:

WHY SHOULD WE CARE ABOUT THESE FILMS? EQUALLY AS IMPORTANT: WHY DO THE MAIN PROTAGONISTS CARE ABOUT THESE FILMS? ADDITIONALLY: IF THESE MAIN PROTAGONISTS CARE ABOUT THESE FILMS, WHY DON'T THEY ASK ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THEM?

Holy GOD I want to punch this show.

For the record, I can see on paper why Joe and Juliana were pursuing the films... Joe because he was instructed by the Nazis to do so, Juliana because her sister died for one of the films, so she wanted to complete her sister's job. Didn't help that Frank cried more for his dead nephew in one scene than Juliana did for her sister in the whole fucking series, but that's beside the point.

Everyone tells them that these films are super important. They'll change the world. Maybe. Or a guy wants them or something. So they watch the film. They see events happening that haven't happened. Maybe the films are fake? Maybe they aren't.

Joe I can see holding back on asking questions. He's a Nazi and has been taught to fall in line and not ask questions (and has been punished for failing to do so). But Juliana. And Frank. And everyone else.

Why the fuck would you not be asking questions? I know the answer to this of course: because the writers of this show don't want to to answer them yet.

But that is shitty fucking writing. Shitty like how the drawing of Juliana gets dropped and picked up by like fifteen fucking characters. It's like that fucking feather in Forest Gump had sex with the Travelocity gnome and had a stupid charcoal drawing baby.

Oh and Juliana left her necklace that Frank made her at his place and then he brought it to the assassination spot and dropped it and the Japanese trade minister (one of the few decent characters in this show, along with Rufus Sewell, and hell lets throw the Hitler actor in the mix too because god forbid the show writes AN INTERESTING ALLIED CHARACTER)... where were we.. oh right, the stupid necklace. So the Japanese Trade Minister finds it and keeps it and Juliana sees it at her job at the Japanese embassy (who did the fucking background check for THAT hire?) and they share a moment and he discloses a secret Japanese mass grave site and he keeps looking at the necklace (which is just some dumb fucking necklace he found on the ground) and at the end it warps him to another dimension possibly.

I'm not going to go into how shallow the majority of the dialogue in this show is.

I love the premise. I thought they did a strong job with world-building (if you ignore the aforementioned stupidity... not even going to comment on that bounty hunter in Carson City). The only characters I didn't hate were Nazis and Japanese characters, which I don't think was the point.

Honest to God, Season 2 needs to open with a graphic saying:

"Joe's boat sank on the way to Mexico and Juliana drowned swimming after it, and the Resistance has given up or something, and Frank is still around but no longer tethered by his idiot partner, and he got DJ Qualls free somehow because sure... now we pick up with our dual protagonists, Rufus Sewell who is suffering an existential crisis due to his son and Hitler, along with the Japanese Trade Minister who has returned to his dimension after suffering what he considers a hallucination, and both men must navigate the deadly political landscape as their countries gear for a potential war... oh, and we're going to introduce a NEW strong female character who the Trade Minister accidentally brought back with him, and she's going to be fucking ROUNDED and INTERESTING as she fights for the truth and asks god damn sensical fucking questions while fighting to survive and fix this new world or SOMETHING TANGIBLE LIKE THAT. Oh and Canada will be mentioned maybe."

This show is like bumping into the most beautiful person you've ever met, who introduces themselves and then says something stupidly racist. I don't know what they were thinking.

maxcriden

A couple questions about the first ep...couple things I didn't quite catch:

-what were Juliana and her BF talking about at the bar? Some kind of secret...her grandfather? Something?

-what were the Japanese trade minister and his righthand man talking about in the elevator?

maxcriden

And, one more question. At the end of episode one, who is Juliana's white male train station advisor dude meeting with from the Japanese government?

A couple questions about the first ep...couple things I didn't quite catch:

-what were Juliana and her BF talking about at the bar? Some kind of secret...her grandfather? Something?

-what were the Japanese trade minister and his righthand man talking about in the elevator?

her boyfriend's grandfather is a jew. that becomes important later on.

don't remember the actual dialogue, but basically the gist is that the nazis hate the japanese, and the japanese hate the nazis, but the nazis have all this tech and shit that japan doesn't have. hitler is the only reason the german army hasn't invaded japanese land and wiped them out in about five minutes.

And, one more question. At the end of episode one, who is Juliana's white male train station advisor dude meeting with from the Japanese government?

he's her sister's boyfriend (if I'm thinking of the person you're talking about). you don't know that he's her boyfriend at this point, but you do know that he's part of the resistance and was helping her sister. later on they reveal he was her boyfriend, but it's not important in the slightest, it's really only revealed for a sad moment.

maxcriden

her boyfriend's grandfather is a jew. that becomes important later on.

don't remember the actual dialogue, but basically the gist is that the nazis hate the japanese, and the japanese hate the nazis, but the nazis have all this tech and shit that japan doesn't have. hitler is the only reason the german army hasn't invaded japanese land and wiped them out in about five minutes.

he's her sister's boyfriend (if I'm thinking of the person you're talking about). you don't know that he's her boyfriend at this point, but you do know that he's part of the resistance and was helping her sister. later on they reveal he was her boyfriend, but it's not important in the slightest, it's really only revealed for a sad moment.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate the clarification.

I've watched 3 eps now. Does the show get better? It's okay so far, not great IMO. The performance by Juliana is kinda dull...I'm hoping her character gets some increased agency and takes charge of the situation some as the show goes on. Rufus Sewell's character kinda annoys me for some reason. Maybe because I feel like he should have given up Juliana to save his sister and her kids. Also, this Marshall character feels like a stock Stephen King antagonist. Some parts of the show are alright so far, and the alternate history is interesting and uncomfortable, but the aspects above feel like they're holding the show back some. Was I only in having these concerns, and are these aspects improved in during the course of the shoe?

The overall tone and pacing basically remains the same for the entirety of the show. I had a hard time binge-watching it, but I finally finished by watching an episode or two a week. I will say, however, that Episode 6 - Three Monkeys - is the highlight and well worth watching.

jond76

Banned
I really liked it.

It's funny to me when people get mad with their criticisms about lack of motivation when a character clearly states the motivation. Time to put he phone down while watching the show, people.

The criticism in question :Why do the resistance care about the films?

They care because the one female resistance fighter said that when they deliver the films, favors are done for the resistance. Specifically, the last one they devilered got 10 of their fighters freed.

Oh well, can't wait for season 2. That ending!

Took a while until I recognized Eddie Sakamura:D
mpjN7bC.jpg

Tagawa's role as trade minister and Sewell his role as Obergruppenführer were my faves. I also liked Norgaard as Wegener. In fact, I loved all the Axis guys. The Amerikans were bland bland bland.

Goodlife

Just finished it... Must say I enjoyed, although could have done with the last episode answering a couple more questions.

One thing from me though.... The whole thing with whatshisface sneaking into the Pacific state, working with Tagomi to slip the microfilm into the science minister's pocket....

Why didn't he just give it to Tagomi as soon as he got there, then just go home?
I'm sure Tagomi could have dropped it in the pocket, or just left it somewhere for him to find

Priz

Someone I know made a rant on FB about stuff in the book they left out of the amazon series (I haven't read the book, so...). I guess their logic in toning it down is to try to appeal to a wider audience/get better ratings/viewer numbers.
As you'd expect, the world-building that goes into this scenario is pretty grim and horrible. The Japanese make Chinese people into slaves as they establish their Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere. Germany burns through what is left of European Jews by damming and draining the Mediterranean for farmland. Then the Nazis proceed to depopulate Africa. To make living room for Germans.

Yet none of this is in Amazon's series. None. There are still free, business-operating Chinese people in The Pacific States. While there is offhand talk of Jewish resistance groups in Europe, the Mediterranean project is not talked about. While they don't show any black people in The Pacific States or the Greater Reich, there's no mention of Africa, or what happened to all the African-Americans.

Apparently genocide, factual or predictive, is not a fit subject for a series on Amazon. Makes you wonder why they picked this property; probably hoping to make a quick buck off of Dick's name. So they had to come up with another way to let modern audiences know the Nazis are E-V-I-L that-spells-EVIL.

So they made the historically Roman Catholic and Protestant Christian Nazis into Atheists. Bible-banning Atheists. Bibles-are-illegal, we'll kill you if you have one, only undercover members of the SD (Sicherheitsdienst, state security, the intelligence arm of the SS) carry them so as to entrap people. Seriously? They had to make the Nazis part of the mythical "war on Christians"? This whole subplot is completely absent from the novel, as it's historically inaccurate and stupid, two things Phillip K Dick never would have written.
That's too bad... but I guess you take what you can get on finally seeing adaptations come to fruition. Is there an interview somewhere explaining why that was changed?

One other thing that makes me wonder - flight times. Did I not pay attention properly or did they screw up? Here's what I remember in regards to flight - I think it was Wegener who said in the pilot due to German Tech he was able to fly from NY to SF in 2 hours. Cool!
The prince mentioned later that he was pissed that the Germans refused to share their tech with the Japanese and so they had to take a boat to the US instead of fly. That sucks for them but ok so far...

Shortly after that someone who flew in to SF... (or was it NY? I swore it was SF but I don't care enough about the series to go back and check) mentioned he took a flight from Japan to SF and the flight took 12 hours.

If a plane can go from NY to SF/back in ~2 hours each way... shouldn't the Japan flight be 4-6 at most? I live in Silicon Valley which now has a direct flight on ANA to Narita and it takes just under 11 hours there, just over 9 back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom