• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announced Radeon RX460 and RX470 (June 29)

thelastword

Banned
The 480 looks like the card I have been waiting for.

Although, I am skeptical at some of the performance claims thus far and fear we may be setting ourselves up for disappointment on the 29th.
Yeah leaked benches have been up and down, but there are more positive benches than not, so that bodes well.

The only people I see disappointed are those who expected a $200.00 card to rival a $400-600 NV 1070-1080. This card will be good enough for me to do some 1440p gaming with proper drivers on release. I'm going to get one which is easily overclockable (1600MHZ+). I have a feeling that these cards will make lots of people happy ;)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah leaked benches have been up and down, but there are more positive benches than not, so that bodes well.

The only people I see disappointed are those who expected a $200.00 card to rival a $400-600 NV 1070-1080. This card will be good enough for me to do some 1440p gaming with proper drivers on release. I'm going to get one which is easily overclockable (1600MHZ+). I have a feeling that these cards will make lots of people happy ;)

I want a card that can deliver a steady 1080p/60fps. Maybe 1440p/60fps

Medium/high quality is usually what I prefer in games. Beyond that I often find diminishing returns and rarely worth the performance cost.

However, if the performance does indeed fall between a Geforce 970 and 980 then this card will be a no brainer for me.

thelastword

Banned
I want a card that can deliver a steady 1080p/60fps. Maybe 1440p/60fps

Medium/high quality is usually what I prefer in games. Beyond that I often find diminishing returns and rarely worth the performance cost.

However, if the performance does indeed fall between a Geforce 970 and 980 then this card will be a no brainer for me.
It's definitely better than a 970 and closer to the performance of a 980. So you should be set with 1080p/1440p gaming at 60fps at these settings, even higher settings as well.

Just keep in mind that most of the benches you've seen thus far are on older drivers, I'm sure we will see a big boost to framerate when the card releases to official drivers.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's definitely better than a 970 and closer to the performance of a 980. So you should be set with 1080p/1440p gaming at 60fps at these settings, even higher settings as well.

Just keep in mind that most of the benches you've seen thus far are on older drivers, I'm sure we will see a big boost to framerate when the card releases to official drivers.

0JWdD.gif

I really hope that is true. Having said that, people who are expecting it to rival the performance of a 1070 are going to be disappointed, but if the 4GB/$199 and 8GB/$229 pricepoints are indeed accurate (no reason to believe they won't be) then this will be the badly needed shot in the arm the video card industry has needed for quite some time.

Kyle from HardOCP is going apeshit again on AMD Polaris, dropping bombs.

"Cannot reach 850Mhz"
"Delayed to October"

http://i.imgur.com/hxJP39k.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2Iyr9tM.jpg
http://archive.is/a9wqA
http://archive.is/wjtIO

Edit: the 2 quotes were copypasta from reddit, I cannot find them after some searching so cross them off.
Jesus christ those quotes. That guy is like the nvidia equivalent of adoredtv, just batshit crazy

You really think that Intel graphics haven't advanced at all since like 2010, don't you? lol

The difference used to be a lot greater than an order of magnitude

You are greatly overestimating intel integrated graphics in the same way that mobile users overestimated smartphones a few years ago.

integrated graphics are not going to catch up to dedicated gpus, ever.

Intel's fastest igp is made to go on low power chips with a tdp of 30-45W (as in the entire power consumption of the cpu and gpu combined). It will never compete with 75-300W tdp dedicated graphics chips

It's the same logical fallacy people had with phones. We went from TI calculator level chips to something better, large improvements in a short time (easy to do when you start with the performance bar buried deep) and somehow people extended that improvement line on a graph to catch up to computers.

integrated gfx went from being an afterthought to , as intel had no competition and could continue to sell quad core cpus node shrink after node shrink, getting a larger percentage of the die space as they needed less and less for the cpu iteself. THIS is where the gains in igp performance have come from between sandy bridge and lynnfield etc before it to broadwell

But cpu dies are getting smaller, not bigger, tdps are getting lower, not higher and an intel igpu already takes up 40 percent of the die space

the tdp wall has been hit, the amount of space they reserve for the igpu has been capped (and expect that amount to go down again if zen competes and forced intel to put more cores on their mainstream chips).intel IGPus are and will forever be an order of magnitude behind dedicated graphics based on TDP alone.

Same as phones

Seronei

Jesus christ those quotes. That guy is like the nvidia equivalent of adoredtv, just batshit crazy

Mentioning adoredtv in the same sentence as Kyle is so insulting to adored who is not nearly as big of a fanboy.

Adoredtv always explains his reasoning and were he got his conclusion from. Never claiming it to be from a source always citing it as speculation. And he's been mostly correct in his predictions.

The End

0JWdD.gif

I really hope that is true. Having said that, people who are expecting it to rival the performance of a 1070 are going to be disappointed, but if the 4GB/$199 and 8GB/$229 pricepoints are indeed accurate (no reason to believe they won't be) then this will be the badly needed shot in the arm the video card industry has needed for quite some time.

My fear is that it's going to be better than a 970*

*As long as the game doesn't use OpenGL (like DOOM) or extensive gameworks stuff (like the Witcher).

My fear is that it's going to be better than a 970*

*As long as the game doesn't use OpenGL (like DOOM) or extensive gameworks stuff (like the Witcher).

Why would you fear that? Being better than a 970 is the least it should do if the drivers are there.

The End

Why would you fear that? Being better than a 970 is the least it should do if the drivers are there.

You misunderstand my point. I want it to be clearly better than the 970 across the board, not only when you turn hairworks off in Witcher 3 or when you're using the (as yet, unreleased) Vulkan rendered in Doom 2016.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You misunderstand my point. I want it to be clearly better than the 970 across the board, not only when you turn hairworks off in Witcher 3 or when you're using the (as yet, unreleased) Vulkan rendered in Doom 2016.

Hairworks IMO seems like an unnecessarily taxing enhancement with minimal benefit.

Thankfully it will always be turned off when I play!

Sinistral

Let's put to rest the 150W TDP shenanigans, and accept the 150W Max draw for the reference models. This pic clearly CAN show, an average TDP of ~113W during gaming scenarios, and at best case, a ~113W during a power virus stress test at stock/boost settings. OC of course is anyones guess at this time.

pestul

Let's put to rest the 150W TDP shenanigans, and accept the 150W Max draw for the reference models. This pic clearly CAN show, an average TDP of ~113W during gaming scenarios, and at best case, a ~113W during a power virus stress test at stock/boost settings. OC of course is anyones guess at this time.
If the 8+6pin AIB rumour is true with custom coolers, OC headroom should be quite interesting for all these models. I just can't pull the trigger to sell my GTX 970 yet.. and I don't know why.

The End

If the 8+6pin AIB rumour is true with custom coolers, OC headroom should be quite interesting for all these models. I just can't pull the trigger to sell my GTX 970 yet.. and I don't know why.

Because it's going to be a relatively minor upgrade vs. the 970 for a while until drivers are sorted out, vulkan support becomes more common, the next big batch of games supports dx12, etc.

As much as I'm looking forward to the rx 4x0 series (i'm trying to hold off on buying a video card right now because of their release next week), I would not pin my hopes on high overclocks for these cards. For one, overclocking success depends mostly on how lucky you are. And two, the fury series which were supposed to be an "overclocker's dream", had very little headroom. I'll be skeptical/cautiously optimistic until next week I suppose.

Despite that I am still planning on getting either a 470 or 480 due to their expected price/perf.

FLAguy954

You'll get a really bad ROI for your 970 if you wait until the RX 480 release to sell. Especially with the 970's memory amount and config.

DPB

The temperature doesn't concern me, but if it's running at 2200 RPM it's going to be very loud. Hopefully it doesn't get that high in games, if it does I'll be waiting for custom cards.

The temperature doesn't concern me, but if it's running at 2200 RPM it's going to be very loud. Hopefully it doesn't get that high in games, if it does I'll be waiting for custom cards.

I gave up on using a card with a blower fan years ago. Don't know why they use those things on reference cards.

DPB

I gave up on using a card with a blower fan years ago. Don't know why they use those things on reference cards.

Cheaper to make, presumably. And the heatsink doesn't look any more sophisticated than the slabs of aluminium they used to use on the old Durons and Athlons 15 years ago.

I've been thinking of upgrading from my 7850, and these cards are really hitting the right price point.

I haven't kept up with hardware news since I built my PC ~3.5 years ago; how much do I need 8GB of VRAM over 4GB?

The End

I've been thinking of upgrading from my 7850, and these cards are really hitting the right price point.

I haven't kept up with hardware news since I built my PC ~3.5 years ago; how much do I need 8GB of VRAM over 4GB?

It's nice to have but not completely necessary

Current-gen consoles have ~5 GB of usable unified memory, different games divide it in different ways, but there's a lot of games (Titanfall, Rise of the Tomb Raider, the recent AC games, etc) that'll use 3+ gigs just for the high settings. Then there's stuff like Doom 2016 that are forward-looking and have a 5Gb+ setting.

For the most part though if you're only using a 1080p monitor those extreme texture settings are of somewhat diminishing returns, but it's nice to have a little bit of future proofing anyway.

Here's a comparison between "nightmare", "ultra" and, "high" textures in Doom.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dooms-nightmare-graphics-image-quality-compared-and-benchmarked/

FFS AMD drop the damned embargo already. These "leaks" are all over the place. This card isn't gonna be for me as I have a 290x, but it would be nice to see something concrete.

Are there good exaples for ad campaigns for gaming hardware? I have the feeling most ads are amimed at 12 year olds, who like Transformers, Dubstepp and blinking stuff.

Top Bottom