• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announced Radeon RX460 and RX470 (June 29)

Yikes at those 460 benches. It shouldve been at 260x levels at least. The whole story isnt told without power consumption numbers but it seems like polaris 11's really meant to be a entry level mobile solution.

Renekton

In conclusion.... let's all just pretend RX480 and RX460 don't exist.

Get a RX470 after the markup madness is over.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The RX 480 seems to be underperforming for various reasons, otherwise the RX 470 shouldn't be so close. One suspicion is that the RX 480 is ROP limited and one of things AMD had to do to increase performance right before launch was clock and volt higher than expected. The RX 470 is likely not ROP limited with its cut down core and is able to fly pretty close to RX 480.

The RX 460 seems to be a issue where they just don't have the performance per watt Nvidia has, but they want to have a card without a PCI-E connector. As an "e-sports" card it's gonna be marketed at people who are likely upgrading cheap OEM PC's so Little Billy can play LoL and DOTA 2.

I kind of felt the bolded was the case even before the 470 performance popped up. It seemed weird that shader efficiency per clock is around 15% worse with the newer architecture.

I'm still planning to get a 480 but it's a tough decision. 470 comes so close for a good chunk less, but I anticipate it being VRAM limited even at 1080p before too long. And we know so little about Vega, though with everything seemingly using HBM2 and 480 pricing, the cheapest card is probably going to be well outside my price range.

This is all Nvidia's fault, if they supported adaptive sync in monitors that didn't cost stupid amounts of money I'd just pick up a 1060.

Renekton

I'm still planning to get a 480 but it's a tough decision. 470 comes so close for a good chunk less, but I anticipate it being VRAM limited even at 1080p before too long.
I don't anticipate 4GB being VRAM-limited at 1080p High for next 3 years. Devs will not ignore that GTX970 market share.

dr_rus

I kind of felt the bolded was the case even before the 470 performance popped up. It seemed weird that shader efficiency per clock is around 15% worse with the newer architecture.

I'm still planning to get a 480 but it's a tough decision. 470 comes so close for a good chunk less, but I anticipate it being VRAM limited even at 1080p before too long. And we know so little about Vega, though with everything seemingly using HBM2 and 480 pricing, the cheapest card is probably going to be well outside my price range.

This is all Nvidia's fault, if they supported adaptive sync in monitors that didn't cost stupid amounts of money I'd just pick up a 1060.

Go with 8GB one, you won't regret it. That's also the key difference between 470 and 480 as I don't expect the first to get an 8GB version while the second will probably be always sold out in it's 4GB variation because of lack of supply. Basically we'll have a 4GB 470 at $180 and 8GB 480 at $230 and up.

kevin1025

Banned
I've settled on getting the RX470, but (and I know this is likely a silly question): my price range is for the 4GB. Is the 8GB that much more important or could I last on the 4GB for a good while (ie. the next 2-3 years)?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've settled on getting the RX470, but (and I know this is likely a silly question): my price range is for the 4GB. Is the 8GB that much more important or could I last on the 4GB for a good while (ie. the next 2-3 years)?

Games are already starting to take advantage of over 4GB.

Whether that difference is worth the extra $ is debatable.

Games are already starting to take advantage of over 4GB.

Whether that difference is worth the extra $ is debatable.

There are games that can use more than 4gb at 1080p, but the difference is miniscule and not something youre likely to notice without comparing static images in a web browser. For the perf profile of these cards 4gb is fine. Even at 1440p youll be just fine

Top Bottom