• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announced Radeon RX460 and RX470 (June 29)

dr_rus

Seems Polaris is a good overclocker as rumoured:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1604421/various-amd-rx-480-review-thread/1900_20#post_25309169

1425Mhz overclock puts it near Fury X.

14646 is close to Nano, not Fury X. Fury X is ~16500:

76Ub.png

So now that RX 480 launched I guess this thread can come back to RX 470/460 now,

AMD confirmed that RX 470 will use the same blower type cooler as RX 480. While AMD partners will have the option to make 8GB cards, reference design arrives with 4GB GDDR5. Just as RX 480, RX 470 will use full 256-bit interface. More importantly AMD finally confirmed that RX 470 has 32 Compute Units, which means 2048 Stream Processors.

The exact launch date of RX 470 was not yet confirmed. However according to my sources, plan was to launch RX 470 end of this month, with availability planned for early August. Hopefully it will not be delayed.

Moving on to e-sports oriented GPU, which is Polaris 11. The Radeon RX 460 features 14 Compute Units with 896 Stream Processors total. Reference design is equipped with 2GB GDDR5 memory and 128-bit interface.

Interestingly, new presentation shows different design of RX 460, which looks quite similar to R9 Nano’s.

http://videocardz.com/62117/amd-confirms-radeon-rx-470-and-rx-460-specifications

Nice to see 470 is just 4 CU less than 480.

belmonkey

For what is probably going to be a $150 Gpu, wouldn't those specs lead to quite close performance to the 480,especially since the 470 will probably have more overclock headroom than the 480?

Ashhong

Ahhhhhh just let me buy the nitro already...

Wait a minute. How did I get here. Is this thread the 480 thread with a title change? Lol

Or am I crazy and the titles always been 460-470

DPB

The rumoured $180 USD price for the 470 in that link is extremely disappointing. A $20 difference between the 470 and 480 seems incredibly small.

They may have learned from their previous cut down cards. There was very little point paying a great deal more for a 290X/390X when they were only about 7% faster than a 290/390.

belmonkey

The rumoured $180 USD price for the 470 in that link is extremely disappointing. A $20 difference between the 470 and 480 seems incredibly small.

Dunno what the point would even be with a $20 difference. I think there was rumors that 4GB would be $150 and 8GB would be $180.

Jimrpg

Dunno what the point would even be with a $20 difference. I think there was rumors that 4GB would be $150 and 8GB would be $180.

Even though a 4gb card seems a bit tight in the ram department, this would still be a great card for people who don't mind turning down the settings a bit for some games. For about 80% of other games it's going to be fine for the next two years. I'm seeing plenty of games released on Steam that aren't taxing the latest systems.

A $150 to $180 comparison is pretty close but if you compare it to the $250 6gb GTX 1060, then it's a pretty big gap and gets real interesting. It's 15%-20% faster for like 66% more. It's also more than a decent 1080/60 card and far faster (40%) than a 960.

Eternia

They may have learned from their previous cut down cards. There was very little point paying a great deal more for a 290X/390X when they were only about 7% faster than a 290/390.
My hangup is due to how they awkwardly positioned the 400 line so far. I would expect a bigger differentiation in price between the jump in models. If the RX 470 ends up starting at $180, I'm not sure who that caters to when there's a huge gap between the 460 and 470 they could have looked at instead.

That's what I'm still hoping. $150 for a 4GB would be great.

Accoun

Woah, wasn't the rumored time slot for 470 earlier than for 460? Plus the question again is, how long will it take for non-refs to appear.

DPB

Woah, wasn't the rumored time slot for 470 earlier than for 460? Plus the question again is, how long will it take for non-refs to appear.

Supposedly there isn't going to be an official reference design for either, but manufacturers may choose to reuse the reference 480 cooler anyway, like that Sapphire blower.

Accoun

Supposedly there isn't going to be an official reference design for either, but manufacturers may choose to reuse the reference 480 cooler anyway, like that Sapphire blower.

Didn't knew. The most important thing for me is the DVI-I, because I want to still be able to use my CRT. Sadly, it seems to be rarer on the AMD side from what I've been looking in one of the local stores.

Fezan

Waiting for these cards. I will get either one of these or 1050. which even has lower power draw while delivering similar performance

DPB

The 470 looks like it might be slower than I hoped for. TFLOPs are fine, but the memory is even slower than the 4GB 480, which was already 1Gbps less than the 8GB 480. I'm guessing the gap between the 470 and 480 will be more like 15% rather than 10% or less like the 380/X or 290/X.

DPB

Any idea why they're comparing them to the 200 series and not the 300 series?

It might be because they didn't have a card at that price point in the 300 series ($180) - the 370X was only released in Asia, and the 370 was a slower card, another 7850 rebrand rather than 7870 like the 270/X.

Josman

The 470 is a fantastic value, if the 570 is VR ready and also retails for $150 then it'll be a great time to go PC gaming

thenexus6

I wonder if a 470 would be a good upgrade from a GTX 950. I was set on getting a 480 or 1060 later this year, but I am only looking to play at 1080 on med/high settings.

ekgrey

Anxiously awaiting official pricing for AIB cards and benchmarks for both the 460 and 470. One of them is going in my son's first PC.

LOLCats

Banned
So a RX460 should be totally sufficient for 4k video wouldn't you guys say?

Want to put in my HTPC that I dont game on.

So a RX460 should be totally sufficient for 4k video wouldn't you guys say?

Want to put in my HTPC that I dont game on.

This is my plan as well. My HTPC has a 5350, which was sufficient with my old TV... ...but not so much anymore.

Pairing a RX 460 with an Athlon 5350 in an HTPC should be fine, right?

LOLCats

Banned
This is my plan as well. My HTPC has a 5350, which was sufficient with my old TV... ...but not so much anymore.

Pairing a RX 460 with an Athlon 5350 in an HTPC should be fine, right?

I think so yep. I'll be going i5 just to stay flexible for the future. I dont see any resolutions posted anywhere yet for the RX460, but im assuming it will do the 3840x2160@60p....

same here though, my Q6600 with ATI 4400 are showing their age now and cant do a 4k desktop

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can't be the only one completely confused by AMD's product positioning with Polaris, right?

The 470 and 480's price points and performance practically overlap. Nonreference 470s cost the same or more than reference 4GB 480s. TBD whether those 480s are going to be actual products going forward, but regardless it's a product AMD has laid out. They perform pretty darn close to each other too.

Then you have a huuuuuge gap between the 470 and 460. And the 460 itself doesn't even look to outperform it's direct predecessors? Which are available at about the same price if you look around/accept rebates?

I don't get it.

I can't be the only one completely confused by AMD's product positioning with Polaris, right?

The 470 and 480's price points and performance practically overlap. Nonreference 470s cost the same or more than reference 4GB 480s. TBD whether those 480s are going to be actual products going forward, but regardless it's a product on AMD has laid out. They perform pretty darn close to each other too.

Then you have a huuuuuge gap between the 470 and 460. And the 460 itself doesn't even look to outperform it's direct predecessors? Which are available at about the same price if you look around/accept rebates?

I don't get it.

The RX 480 seems to be underperforming for various reasons, otherwise the RX 470 shouldn't be so close. One suspicion is that the RX 480 is ROP limited and one of things AMD had to do to increase performance right before launch was clock and volt higher than expected. The RX 470 is likely not ROP limited with its cut down core and is able to fly pretty close to RX 480.

The RX 460 seems to be a issue where they just don't have the performance per watt Nvidia has, but they want to have a card without a PCI-E connector. As an "e-sports" card it's gonna be marketed at people who are likely upgrading cheap OEM PC's so Little Billy can play LoL and DOTA 2.

Soooo, this $100 card is losing out to / matching a 260X that launched at $140 3 years ago? :/

I suspect the only reason this card exists at all is because of the lack of a needed PCI-E connector and a gaming card to fill that niche hasn't existed on AMD's side for a long time. Right now the only cards I know of from AMD that don't have one are the real bargain basement dumpster cards like R7 250's that are only useful as display connectors and not as gaming devices. Nvidia's had the budget OEM upgrade market on lock for a long time now with the GTX 750 series cards and there's even some GTX 950's that run purely on PCI-E power.

Top Bottom