• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announced Radeon RX460 and RX470 (June 29)

PnCIa

Well they sure can't make them like Samsung can. Samsung Exynos, found in you or your friend's Samsung Galaxy, is happily cooking along at 2+ ghz from Samsung's own fabs.

GloFo are crap.
You are comparing an AMD chip with a totaly different chip that has a different architecture and a different purpose. Stop parroting "glofo is crap" around when you dont even grasp the basics.

Supposed 480 benchmarks from a Polish magazine are hitting reddit at the moment. Dunno how reliable the magazine is though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4q80xw/polish_magazine_reviews_rx480/

Wow.

Thought it was supposed to be comparable to 980 not the 970.

I can get 2nd hand 980 still in warranty for £200 or 970 for £160.

Hell I can get a brand new 970 for £214 or 8GB 390 for £210, the RX480 is gonna be £220 at the cheapest.

I didn't even have high expectations but they still managed to come under par.

hodgy100

Well they sure can't make them like Samsung can. Samsung Exynos, found in you or your friend's Samsung Galaxy, is happily cooking along at 2+ ghz from Samsung's own fabs.

GloFo are crap.

Do you even know how cpus / gpus work?

not only are you comparing completely different processor architectures, performance and power targets. Clockspeed isn't even the be all end all of processor performance. AMD's older Athlon line from the 2000's outperformed the Pentium 4 at lower clock speeds and now intels cpu's outperform AMD's despite AMD pushing for 4ghz chips.

Supposed 480 benchmarks from a Polish magazine are hitting reddit at the moment. Dunno how reliable the magazine is though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4q80xw/polish_magazine_reviews_rx480/

Someone better tell that guy whose friend was offering him a 970 for $160 to take that deal.

You are comparing an AMD chip with a totaly different chip that has a different architecture and a different purpose. Stop parroting "glofo is crap" around when you dont even grasp the basics.

Sure, prove to me that GloFo aren't crap then. What have they ever done that was good compared to other foundries?

Guess Who

Banned

Do you even know how cpus / gpus work?

not only are you comparing completely different processor architectures, performance and power targets. Clockspeed isn't even the be all end all of processor performance. AMD's older Athlon line from the 2000's outperformed the Pentium 4 at lower clock speeds and now intels cpu's outperform AMD's despite AMD pushing for 4ghz chips.

Don't bother tbh, as far as I can tell Unknown Soldier's entire schtick in this thread is concern trolling.

Wow.

Hell I can get a brand new 970 for £214 or 8GB 390 for £210, the RX480 is gonna be £220 at the cheapest.

You're doing this again, really?

XBP

Wow.

An overclocked 970 performs like a stock 980

The classic fallback for someone who has no argument is to attack the person.

Ad Hominem was the phrase you were looking for.

Wow.

Apparently these are fake/troll. These guys also say 5% overclock is max, '7% causes a crash'.

DPB

This magazin is just weird, putting the stock one against two OC cards. Stock 380x vs 970 is very similar anyway. I am not interested in OC'ing, so it might be that the 970 just scales better with overclocking.

They're not even remotely close, a 970 is about 30% faster. The 380X wasn't even supposed to compete with the 970, it was released at a much lower price.

This magazin is just weird, putting the stock one against two OC cards. Stock 380x vs 970 is very similar anyway. I am not interested in OC'ing, so it might be that the 970 just scales better with overclocking.

I agree it's odd, I'm not really sure why they did that from a purely base comparison. Shouldn't they compare it with reference models of each card?

ethomaz

Banned
An overclocked 970 performs like a stock 980
It is a less than 10% over... no GTX 980 level... propõe are hating over the magazine and the Guru3D guy needed to explain that... you need about 1500MHz on GTX 970 to reach GTX 980.

BTW seems like the magazine has a GTX 1060 in hands already.

I agree it's odd, I'm not really sure why they did that from a purely base comparison. Shouldn't they compare it with reference models of each card?
Maybe the didn't have reference in hands... buy one just for the review???

BTW the Guru3D update...

"THE 970 USED IS AMP OMEGA

MANY PEOPLE CLAIMING THIS IS UNFAIR BECAUSE "HIGHLY OC'D 970". IT'S AT 1304 MHZ. NOT EVEN 10% OC COMPARED TO REFERENCE

HELLO! I am Ieldra from [H] and Guru3D, I am now taking over the thread from my cousin because it has gotten out of hand, please direct your anger at me on the top level comment I just made. Thank you"

Locuza

GloFo are crap.
The Mali GPU reaches over 2 Ghz?
Oh no, it doesn't.

380x was a 960 competitor
Sadly for AMD because the 960 was smaller, way more efficient and got better Media-Features.

Just to drop a gif, take it with humour guys:
original.gif

I think unknown soldier is very biased towards nvidia, but just calling him a fanboy or shitposting by using the 'concern troll' ad hominem is not productive

If his arguments are bad then counter them, don't just start getting mad and calling names.
And if you don't know enough to counter the arguments then you definitely shouldn't be getting mad or calling names.

That's just console wars and is not productive, it's also what got the last thread closed (rightfully)

It is a less than 10% over... no GTX 980 level... propõe are hating over the magazine and the Guru3D guy needed to explain that... you need about 1500MHz on GTX 970 to reach GTX 980.

BTW seems like the magazine has a GTX 1060 in hands already.

Maybe the didn't have reference in hands... buy one just for the review???

BTW the Guru3D update...

"THE 970 USED IS AMP OMEGA

MANY PEOPLE CLAIMING THIS IS UNFAIR BECAUSE "HIGHLY OC'D 970". IT'S AT 1304 MHZ. NOT EVEN 10% OC COMPARED TO REFERENCE

HELLO! I am Ieldra from [H] and Guru3D, I am now taking over the thread from my cousin because it has gotten out of hand, please direct your anger at me on the top level comment I just made. Thank you"

Oh so we know that's what it was running at? (1304mhz?) I didn't see any info on it so I didn't know. I thought it was strange that would be a heavily OC'd 970 when my reference 970 OC with 5820k @4.4ghz at 1350hz gets 58fps-65 FPS on Witcher 3 at highest settings aside from Hairworks at 1080p. Although to know exactly what settings they used etc. Theres very little info there.

As for your comment on references models. I personally can ask around and find people who have those reference cards and probably borrow them for the purpose of reviews. It couldn't be that hard for a gaming magazine to ask people or suppliers to supply cards for comparison right? Maybe I'm just oversimplifying it though. Are they a well known magazine or very tiny?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ppl who bought into the hype are gonna be disappointed. Scores seem in line with early estimates though.

I am a tad bit disappointed at the moment. I was expecting scores to be between 970 and a 980. These scores indicate a 970 level of performance, which is still OK given the pricepoint.

However, it remains to be seen once more benchmarks enter the wild, as some mentioned there is a decent chance these benchmarks were done with older drivers.

Nevertheless, the 480 is still my card of choice unless nvidia drops a bombshell and gets the 1060 out sooner than expected.

Narroo

"Oh, a thread!"

Walks in

I really wonder sometimes, now I have people taking it personally that I'm criticizing some mediocre multinational semiconductor foundry that hasn't ever done a single notable thing in terms of process innovation.

"Oh for the love of- Where are the mods when you need them?"

coughlanio

From article comments:

Here in Poland CD-Action is not any kind of respectable hardware reviewer, this is gaming magazine. Also those charts are containing many mistakes, like 380X performing better than overclocked 970 is some cases. Overall not very reliable reviewer who also made a lot of mistakes in this particular test. Just wait until tomorrow or for leaks from some actual hardware reviewers, not randoms.

From Reddit:

Being Polish myself I wouldn't trust them very much.

Of course not. They were always heavily nvidia biased, in every PC configurator article they recommended nvida cards over AMD doesn't matter which price range. And of course always g-sync monitors first because freesync has some problems (present only in cda tests). Perhps 480 wasnt's worth the hype but cda should never be the reason to change your mind.

RootCause

Yay! Less than a day away. :D
It's been a long wait, but I'm almost at the finish line, though I'm not sure if I should get the reference or wait for sapphires custom cooler. Hmmm..

RootCause

is someone going to make an ot for the 480 launch? Would love to see one in time for the reviews, and all of the user reviews. Very excited. :)

RootCause

[URL="https://twitter.com/Mindfactory_de/status/7478414272757186]https://twitter.com/Mindfactory_de/status/747841427275718656[/URL]

Rough translation for the non German speaking gaffers: We are prepared for the AMD Radeon RX480.
☺️☺️☺️😍😍😍

Lol this is so awesome, hopefully it means we don't have to deal with long ass waits, and scalpers.
So looking forward to tomorrow.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
☺️☺️☺️😍😍😍

Lol this is so awesome, hopefully it means we don't have to deal with long ass waits, and scalpers.
So looking forward to tomorrow.
I doubt scalpers will be a serious issue. The main reason people are buying these is price. Without price people will likely buy a 970 or just wait until the Foundes Edition gouging of the 1070 ends.

Oh no, it doesn't.

Sadly for AMD because the 960 was smaller, way more efficient and got better Media-Features.

original.gif

id much rather have a 380x than a 960. the performance different is huge

Oh no, it doesn't.

original.gif

That Gif always gets me, can't help but crack a smile.

I usually ended up recommending the 960 for the $400-$450 range budget builds because it often went on sale between the $120-150 range. For the $500-600 level builds it was the R9 380x.

Why are people assuming ALL 480s draw 10+ watts more from the PCIE slot?

Robert Hallock, from Radeon's Technical Marketing group, also chimed in to try and contextualize the issue. "We will have more on this topic soon as we investigate, but it's worth reminding people that only a very small number of hundreds of RX 480 reviews worldwide encountered this issue. Clearly that makes it aberrant, rather than the rule, and we're working to get that number down to zero."

I am a tad bit disappointed at the moment. I was expecting scores to be between 970 and a 980. These scores indicate a 970 level of performance, which is still OK given the pricepoint.

But the scores are between 970 and 980. There are some weak spots here and there, but that's basically what they delivered. It's only crazy people that thought it was competing with the 1070.

But the scores are between 970 and 980. There are some weak spots here and there, but that's basically what they delivered. It's only crazy people that thought it was competing with the 1070.

The post you quoted is from before the NDA lifted, so it was based on some leaked benchmarks.

The post you quoted is from before the NDA lifted, so it was based on some leaked benchmarks.

The perfect example of "wait for the benchmarks." I can't wait to see what it can do a few months down the line with even more mature drivers and more DX12/Vulkan games. Not to mention the 1060 is coming. Gotta see how that stacks up.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
The perfect example of "wait for the benchmarks." I can't wait to see what it can do a few months down the line with even more mature drivers and more DX12/Vulkan games. Not to mention the 1060 is coming. Gotta see how that stacks up.

I think Nvidia would have to focus on offering a low power card that's overclockable more than "default performance", if it's significantly faster than the 480, it could start to draw attention from their 1070. If the 1060 is $249 for 3gb and $299 for 6gb, then it's stepping out of the same market segment as the 480's.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
For that price, I am more than likely going RX 480.

Same. I'm closely watching the 480 and 1060 and price is going to be the big factor. The rumored performance and power draw has me looking at the 1060 over the 480, but if they price it like that, I'd either go 480 or just bite the bullet and add 490 and 1070 to my GPU consideration list.

Top Bottom