• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD | Bulldozer, Fusion, AM3+, FM1, and What's To Come

dekjo

Shubit said:
Llano (which uses AMD's current K10.5 microarchitecture) has the IGP and PCIe controller integrated ondie and uses completely different chipsets than the upcoming Bulldozer based CPUs codenamed Zambezi. The Zambezi lineup is compatible with AMD's GX line of chipsets that provide integrated graphics should you desire to use them.

Llano has supposedly already shipped to system integrators (think Dell). As to it's availability in retail, nobody but AMD knows yet.

When you use a discrete GPU the motherboard BIOS usually automatically disables the IGP unless you set the option otherwise in the BIOS. The IGP and the discrete GPU can complement each other in a mode called Hybrid CrossFire but it's rather poor since your choice of discrete GPU is limited to ones that are architecture and speed wise similar to the onboard one. Since even top end integrated graphics are usually based on previous generation discrete chips of the mainstream market segment (not exactly gamers choice), HCF is not of much use to anyone.

Although I might have sparked interest by praising the possibility of accelerated processing above, note that the practical reality of it is still a year or two off. If you are after a high end workstation/gaming computer right now, you are better off by going with either a Bulldozer or SB based setup. For Bulldozer I recommend waiting for upcoming 900 series chipsets which are critical for enabling some of the new integral CPU features like core powergating and also bring SLI support (yippie kay yay finally).

Llano on the other hand will absolutely dominate in things like iMac or HTPC.
Thanks, that's very useful. I figured when they say mainstream in that image, they were talking about me since I tend to stay away from cutting edge tech, instead aiming for whatever the tomshardware/anandtech's of the world tout as the price/performance sweet spot at the time. But if the IPU on the Llano doesn't provide any value to someone who would have a discrete GPU, kind of feel's I'm paying for a feature I'll never use.

It's disappointing that onboard/ondie graphics processing doesn't better complement discrete cards, but I figured it was a bit of a pipe dream and terribly complicated for companies to pull off. Nice to have a slightly better understanding of the how and why, though.

aeolist said:
None of the new CPUs are going to be bottlenecking any games in the near future. Sandy Bridge will likely be better at most workloads but it won't matter to a lot of people on this forum.

I just want concrete details about extra features like benchmarks for the Hybrid Crossfire APUs and how good they'll be for HTPCs.

Quadcore CPU's have just become necessary in gaming. 4 years after the Q6600's release. Not to mention more and more games aren't going to benefit from extra power.

Nvidia confirmed what everyone already knew: SLI will be an option for 900-series boards.

You Asked for It, You Got It: SLI for AMD
http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/04/you-asked-for-it-you-got-it-sli-for-amd/?sf1380441=1
http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/sli-for-amd

According to Steam’s monthly hardware survey, ninety-three percent of all multi-GPU systems in use today use SLI. So, due to overwhelming demand, we are pleased to announce that SLI is being licensed by the world’s leading motherboard manufacturers for integration into the next-generation of AMD motherboards, including 990FX, 990X and 970 chipsets. ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock, and MSI are among the first motherboard manufacturers to offer this new capability for AMD, with more coming on-board shortly.

As you can see in the image below, one of the first AMD motherboard with SLI capabilities will be ASUS’ Republic Of Gamers Crosshair V Formula, the latest version of their extremely popular and well-reviewed AMD gaming motherboard.

Asus ROG/Republic Of Gamers Crosshair V Formula
Kmqwl.jpg

Gwanatu T

RETURN OF THE KING! Can't be said enough. I just upgraded to a Phenom 2 955 in September, but this is ultra exciting! I'm honestly not sure if an upgrade even makes sense, as really nothing I'm running is CPU bound, but it makes me want to upgrade anyway!

fwiw, I noticed yesterday that a couple AM3+ boards (from ASRock and Gigabyte) are listed as in stock at Newegg. I'm tempted to pick the cheaper one up with a Phenom II X4 to fix my ailing Athlon 64 X2 system. Then I'll have the upgrade path I've been waiting for.

(but then, the Phenom II will probably have a price drop in a couple months, so I should really wait)

Jin34

The mobo makers need to clarify the Bulldozer on AM3 thing. I checked Gigabyte and there is a new version of their 890GX board that is AM3+ so I'm guessing my rev 2.1 version won't be getting AM3+ CPU support.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26970680&postcount=12542
·feist· said:
For those of you waiting on Bulldozer 1/AM3+ (either to buy, or compare to s1155 and s2011), here's further "confirmation" that AMD's FX line of 8-, 6-, and 4-core BD parts will likely debut around June 7 or so.

lp0ka.jpg

Seems that partners may be showing their products at, or shortly after, Computex, with AMD tipped to show BD at E3.

tS1hR.jpg

I'm thinking of possibly starting a Bulldozer thread. Thoughts?

AMD-900-Series-Bulldozer-Chipsets-to-Launch-at-Computex-2011-2.jpg

AMD 900-Series Bulldozer Chipsets to Launch at Computex 2011
http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-...psets-to-Launch-at-Computex-2011-197629.shtml

At this year's Computex expo, that is scheduled to take place between May 31 and June 4 in Taipei, Taiwan, motherboard makers will introduce their first AM3+ Bulldozer solutions based on the 900-series chipset logic developed by AMD.

According to sources form Taiwanese motherboard makers, AMD hasn't established an official launch date for Bulldozer, but allowed them to display their solution based on the 900-series chipset at the Computex fair.

“There are no exact embargo dates at the moment but the latest information from AMD is that we are allowed to launch at Computex,”
All of the 900-series motherboard chipsets feature SATA 6Gbps with TRIM support, RAID 0/1/10/5, IOMMU I/O virtualization, as well as USB 3.0 support (via third party controllers).
AMD will initially launch four Zambezi FX CPUs, two featuring an eight-core design, while the other two will packs six and four processing cores respectively and additional chips are expected in the October-November timeframe.

more...

·feist· said:
AMD FX-series of Microprocessors Due in 2011

JzILS.jpg

With the FX-branding resurfacing, AMD's initial run of non-server/workstation Bulldozer 1 parts are slated to come under the FX-8000, FX-6000 and FX-4000 families, denoting the number of cores in each tier. Slotting in above the FM1 Fusion desktop APUs, Bulldozer's debut will supposedly consist of the AMD FX-8130P, FX-8110, FX-6110, and FX-4110 processors. And because those names are not long enough, we'll likely see some form of "Vision Black FX," "Vision Ultimate FX," and other such nomenclature affixed to each product.
And the rumored AMD FX-8150P Black Edition, which will supposedly arrive somewhere within the same general time frame as Intel's LGA 2011 Sandy Bridge-E parts.

CPU-core....................8
Clock speed................4.2 GHz
Turbo Core max..........4.7 GHz
L2-cache....................8MB
L3-cache....................8MB
TDP...........................140W
Memory control...........1866 MHz
Black Edition...............yes, unlocked multiplier
Socket.......................AM3+
Manufacturing.............32nm SOI

AMD FX-8150P Black Edition
eIgaE.png

Jin34 said:
The mobo makers need to clarify the Bulldozer on AM3 thing. I checked Gigabyte and there is a new version of their 890GX board that is AM3+ so I'm guessing my rev 2.1 version won't be getting AM3+ CPU support.
More than likely, pre-revision models like yours (and, possibly, some other boards that the partners are not officially supporting), will be receiving a mod bios and other such hacks.

By the looks of it, even 800-series boards with AM3+ sockets won't offer 100% feature support, so they'll likely remain a short-lived solution like the hybrid s1156-s1155 Intel products out there. Or, they'll eventually take over as some of the only remaining 700 and 800 models in production, serving as lower cost, and somewhat limited, platforms with an upgrade path to a newer FX CPU.

Another Bulldozer 900-series board. This time from ECS with their 990FX Black Series.

ECS A990FXM-A Black Series AM3+ Motherboard v1.0
RXa6S.png

ECS A990FXM-A Black Series AM3+ Motherboard v1.0
ZuVcV.png

Asus M5A99X EVO AM3+

zcEQy.jpg

Unlike the 990FX-based ECS A990FXM-A, the 990X-based Asus M5A99X EVO has CrossFireX and SLI.
USB 3.0 (I/O and on board), Power eSATA, and 6-8 SATA 6 Gb/sports.

MSI Big Bang Conqueror AM3+ 990FX
G2H6I.jpg

MSI 990FXA-GD80
990FX (dual PC3-10667U DDR3) (7640-050R) from €174,18
AMD 990FX + SB950
http://geizhals.at/a636416.html

AMD 990FX/SB950 • memory slots: 4 x DDR3 • expansion slots: 1 x PCI, 4 x PCIe 2.0 x 16, 2 x PCIe 2.0 x 1 • connectors external: 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x FireWire, 6 x USB 2.0, 1 x LAN, 7.1 audio • internal connectors: 2 x USB 3.0, 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x FireWire, 6 x SATA 6 GB/s RAID 0/1/5/10 (SB950), 1 x CPU fan PWM

MSI 990FXA-GD65
990FX (dual PC3-10667U DDR3) (7640-030R) from €126,32
AMD 990FX + SB950
http://geizhals.at/a636413.html

AMD 990FX/SB950 • memory slots: 4 x DDR3 • expansion slots: 2 x PCI, 2 x PCIe 2.0 x 16, 3 x PCIe 2.0 x 1 • connectors external: 2 x USB 3.0, 6 x USB 2.0, 1 x LAN, 7.1 audio • internal connectors: 4 x USB 2.0, 6 x SATA 6 GB / s RAID 0/1/5/10 (SB950), 1 x CPU fan PWM

MSI 970A-G45
970 (dual PC3-10667U DDR3) (7693-010R) from €82,10
AMD 970 + SB950
http://geizhals.at/eu/a636420.html

AMD 970/SB950 • memory slots: 4 x DDR3 • expansion slots: 2 x PCI, 2 x PCIe 2.0 x 16, 2 x PCIe 2.0 x 1 • connectors external: 2 x USB 3.0, 6 x USB 2.0, 1 x LAN, 7.1 audio (ALC889) • internal connectors: 2 x USB 3.0, 6 x USB 2.0, 6 x SATA 6 GB / s RAID 0/1/5/10 (SB950), 1 x CPU fan PWM

CpKZG.jpg

Rumors, rumors, rumors. This time with claimed benchmarks.

salt.jpg

Exclusive AMD Bulldozer Details From Gigabyte
http://www.rumorpedia.net/exclusive-amd-bulldozer-details-from-gigabyte/

Today is a good day as we have just received a great picture from Kirllos which was acquired by mega-d botnet.

Where is it from? According to email, it was borrowed from Gigabyte’s corporate network.

Machine is running AMD FX 8110 processor with the maximum TDP of 95W @ 2.8 Ghz and Socket AMD3b 942 package. If you are wondering why it says 3.8 GHz as well, it’s because o the AMD turbo boost.

According to the Gigabyte CPUZ History:

1.58.1gb – April 2011 update includes:

- AMD Bulldozer processor new instructions…
- AMD Zambezi, Valencia, Interlagos (32nm) support.
- AMD 990FX/RD990 + SB950 chipset.
- AMD AM3b/AMD+3 (black) socket detection.
- AMD Turbo Core TDP mode detection.
- NEW AMD logos / Tidy interface,
- DDR4 1.2v preliminary support.
- Add ID’s for future Intel 2650, 2700, 2800k editions.
- Several bugs fixed.

Oh, it also has some benchmark numbers for you to check out.

Thank you!
u7WNS.jpg

So, an AMD FX 8110 and a Gigabyte GA 990FX UD5.
There are some issues here, but if any of this is even remotely true, it's that much more interesting as Gigabyte's as yet unseen 900-series boards are supposedly very good.

Speculation and screen cap anomalies aside, the two guys in the IM conversation at least seem to be real employees or associates of Gigabyte.

Alain Sam-Lai
Product Validation Engineer at Gigabyte United Inc.

http://tw.linkedin.com/in/alainsamlai
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Alain/Sam-lai

go_oc_09_07_thumb.jpg

Gigabyte's Maggie Lin and Colin Brix

Gigabyte Open Overclocking Championship 2009
http://techgage.com/print/gigabyte_open_overclocking_championship_2009

Google Profiles - Colin Brix
https://profiles.google.com/colin.brix/posts/aVZJ8J8HucD

Maximum Interview: Gigabyte's Colin Brix
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/maximum_interview_gigabytes_colin_brix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGndppXBDk

Ignignort

Worst photoshop attempt ever...

fonts are mostly wrong, 2 recycle bins,live messenger looks way off, fonts for cpu-z is wrong and the bottom recycle bin text goes into the start panel -_-

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ignignort said:
Worst photoshop attempt ever...

fonts are mostly wrong, 2 recycle bins,live messenger looks way off, fonts for cpu-z is wrong and the bottom recycle bin text goes into the start panel -_-

You can change the font of CPU-Z by editing its ini file, and you can move desktop icons wherever you please if "Align icons to grid" is disabled.

Edit:
Angelus Errare said:
Right click recycle bin, create shortcut.

This, too.

It's a seemingly dodgy screenshot, sure, but it's not inexplicable.

·feist· said:
There are some issues here
·feist· said:
Speculation and screen cap anomalies aside
Later on, from the same "leak" post:

Update:

Just to clarify few things:

It has few screenshtos merged together, hence the active windows.
MSN Chat talks about updated BIOS version which should fix readings.
DDR4 support changelog is not for AMD Bulldozer.
Update 2:

We have been contacted by GIGABYTE and they confirmed that the chat conversation and all the details are fake.
Still doesn't explain the random, and now blurred, IM from two GB employees, or some other things...

Veal said:
This is all very exciting but they need to come up on some pricing here!
Could be another 3 weeks until reliable estimates, or final prices begin to emerge.

ASL HD3V

AMD FM1 based Fusion APU motherboard.

The ASL HD3V sports DDR3 support up to 8GB max, AMD's Hudson D3, 4+1 phase, and 4 SATA 3Gb/s ports. No SATA 6Gb/s, but there is on-board USB 3.0 along with USB 3.0 I/O ports.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Steps/s seems to be the only standout.
What is that and why is it so much higher than a 2500K?

Doesn't seem to have much of an impact GPU wise.

Supposedly a leaked slide of some sort.

amdbullperf_6a_dh_fx57.jpg

PCMark Vantage is a whole-system benchmark. Thus far AMD has been unwilling to allow anybody to do a pure CPU benchmark, which isn't exactly encouraging. If AMD is focusing entirely on whole-system performance, and stacking another bar with their discrete GPU offering compared to Intel's on-die GPU offering to make their bar look bigger, what that says to me is that AMD knows Bulldozer is going to suck. Prove me wrong, AMD!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I've always liked AMD, always buy them for home PCs as they seem to be cheaper and the bars on the benchmarks seem to be higher than the intel equivalent. Being that I've never had any technical issues due to the processor, I have to assume that AMD is better for the money.

Also

v3u9i.jpg

This person wasted alot of cash on RAM for this system....

Fake EDIT: I can't be bothered to post the original, but it's got a 32Bit system installed and 16Gb of ram. That's just weird.

Unknown Soldier said:
PCMark Vantage is a whole-system benchmark. Thus far AMD has been unwilling to allow anybody to do a pure CPU benchmark, which isn't exactly encouraging. If AMD is focusing entirely on whole-system performance, and stacking another bar with their discrete GPU offering compared to Intel's on-die GPU offering to make their bar look bigger, what that says to me is that AMD knows Bulldozer is going to suck. Prove me wrong, AMD!
Yeah, really. Woo-hoo, BALANCED COMPUTING!

Xavien

Getting AMD for my next system in the future, its probably not as powerful sure, but previous RMA issues with Intels "socket" have pissed me off too much.

Now they will do SLI, i have no real reason to stick to Intel anymore.

NDIPM.png

Feature: AMD Bulldozer Architecture
by Franck Delattre
Published on May 13, 2011
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/833-1/dossier-architecture-amd-bulldozer.html

rpWuD.png

That would be Franck "CPU-Z" Delattre.
http://www.cpuid.com/

Hazaro said:
Steps/s seems to be the only standout.
What is that and why is it so much higher than a 2500K?

Doesn't seem to have much of an impact GPU wise.
The physics portion? The test was run with PhysX enabled on the 560, so that helps, obviously. Whether or not it was left it on as a means of partly distorting the CPU performance, seems unclear.

IchigoSharingan said:
This thread has made me lose a bit of hope on Bulldozer. Ah well, guess my Phenom ain't goin nowhere then.
Not sure how. The only thing that has been clearly underwhelming so far, would be the few benchmarks released of early, and compromised, 0 stepping ES parts. I didn't even post any of those.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So looks like it operates in the same voltage range as 1155.
That earlier 3.8 was an OC on an 8 core right? If it improves vs Phenom II then at the right price it could be competitive enough, especially if the boards are cheaper.

Someone uploaded a video to YouTube of what he says is an AMD FX 4110 Bulldozer @ 3.4GHz. WEI/Windows Experience Index is listed at 7.9 across the board.

AMD Bulldozer FX 4110 First Look
*****removed video link until actual proof is provided*****

vqbEb.png

Uploaded by LucasMatosRodrigues on May 13, 2011

AMD Bulldozer FX 4110 model for hardware developers.

Computer Spec.:
- ASUS CrossHair IV Extreme Edition
- AMD Bulldozer FX 4110 2.8Ghz @ 3.4Ghz TC/OC'ed
- RAID0 SSD Patriot 256GB
- CrossFireX ATi Radeon HD5970 BE
-
System Spec:
- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bits
- Adobe Photoshop CS 5 with 457 plug-ins of OLD Versions

Recorded with Camtasia Recorder @ 15 fps on 1360x768 / 720p
-
Lucas Matos Rodrigues, ASUS Employer
São Paulo, Brazil - www.twitter.com/iLucasMR

xBuE6.png

oZGPX.png

vtGly.png

Hazaro said:
So looks like it operates in the same voltage range as 1155.
That earlier 3.8 was an OC on an 8 core right? If it improves vs Phenom II then at the right price it could be competitive enough, especially if the boards are cheaper.
The one with the 560 Ti? Yeah, it was said to be 3.8GHz under Turbo Core 2.0. Voltage is a bit hard to judge with all of the bios and software monitoring issues. Even without any issues, it's a bit difficult to gauge and get a direct comparison as with the new architecture, these aren't "cores" in what may be the traditional sense. That's part of why some are calling these "fake" or incomplete cores, and other things.

In the interest of simplicity, it's probably best for a lot of people to look at each execution unit as two cores. So 8, 6 and 4 core CPUs works. Most non-techies still don't know what threads are, let alone things like Flex FPs, shared resources, or the difference between Intel and AMD's approach to parallelism, and maximizing die area.

Same guy.

AMD Bulldozer FX 4110: Temperatures FULL and IDDLE.

"AMD Bulldozer Temps in FULL and IDDLE.
- 0:00 ~ 1:50 = FULL LOAD on AMD Overdrive Estress
- 1:50 ~ Final = IDDLE temps with a 95W AMD Box Cooler.
-
Bulldozer OC'ed to 3,400MHz ~ 0,925 vcore."

wPU0u.png

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hopefully the guy will do some real benchmarks instead of this random stuff.

I'm trying to hold out for a bulldozer build before i play the witcher 2. Please be good bulldozer!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
evlcookie said:

I'm trying to hold out for a bulldozer build before i play the witcher 2. Please be good bulldozer!

Yeah, I've decided to wait on the Bulldozer verdict before upgrading.

Slowly, but surely...

AMD Bulldozer FX 4110: Windows Experience Index (WEI Test)

"- ASUS CrossHair IV Extreme Edition
- AMD Bulldozer FX 4110 2.8Ghz @ 3.4Ghz TC/OC'ed
- RAID0 SSD Patriot 256GB
- 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator GTX3 2400MHz CL 7-7-7-20
- CrossFireX ATi Radeon HD5970 BE
-
System Spec:
- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bits"

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

evlcookie said:
Yeah, though even this seeming waste of time can be helpful in filling in the blanks.

No official announcement of the ECS A990FXM-A AM3+ Black Series, or any other 900-series board yet, but ECS did put out a release for their AMD Fusion boards.

ECS Presents A75 Series, the Latest AMD Fusion™ APU Platform to Color Your Vision
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Media/NewsRoom_Detail.aspx?NewsID=1408&MenuID=45

pLB9p.png

ECS A75F-A (Black Deluxe series) - AMD FM1
ECS A75F-M - AMD FM1
ECS A75F-M2 - AMD FM1

evil solrac v3.0 said:
very nice, I thought they would use the armor look of the P67 saber tooth.
Airflow would probably get tricky, particularly with navigating the mosfets and north bridge. Besides, in a lot of cases, the P67 Sabertooth's thermal cooling shroud has actually made temps worse.

Speaking of which.... members of the press have already been receiving AM3+ products (not counting the samples that leakers and AMD affiliates have had for months):

Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula AM3+ and an undisclosed AMD CPU

PCGH
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,8...eite/News/bildergalerie/?iid=1518694&vollbild
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,8...eite/News/bildergalerie/?iid=1518704&vollbild

0L95l.jpg

pardon my lack of understanding here, but how are they getting the 2.8ghz chip to run at 3.8ghz? i saw turbocore mentioned, but is that something that's automatically enabled or is it an application i need to run?

EDIT: i know how to OC with AMD's tools, but im wondering if this specific case is out of the ordinary, or if they just used the standard AMD tools to OC.

it would be nice if i could get the 2.8ghz quad and just OC to >3.4ghz.

sionyboy said:
Quick question with regards to AMD's netbook processors:

Athlon II Neo K325 or Fusion E350?

K325 seems to have slightly better CPU performance, but then Fusion has the better GPU. Would it be better to jump on new Fusion-bandwagon?
Yes. There isn't much between them in real world CPU performance, but the E350 has a considerably better iGPU than what you'll find with an Athlon Neo. With the increasing number of hardware accelerated apps, the Fusion products will have much smoother performance with a longer shelf life.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
pardon my lack of understanding here, but how are they getting the 2.8ghz chip to run at 3.8ghz? i saw turbocore mentioned, but is that something that's automatically enabled or is it an application i need to run?

EDIT: i know how to OC with AMD's tools, but im wondering if this specific case is out of the ordinary, or if they just used the standard AMD tools to OC.

it would be nice if i could get the 2.8ghz quad and just OC to >3.4ghz.
3.8GHz has been one of the most heavily rumored turbo clocks (with 4.1GHz turbo being another). There's no OC needed on your part.

AMD has stated that there will be ~500MHz turbo available across cores, depending on load. Anything beyond that is still unconfirmed.

Here's one of the latest entries on AMD's official Bulldozer Blog

Stop the Clocks
http://blogs.amd.com/work/2011/05/16/stop-the-clocks/

I6ez8.jpg

So much for NDAs. ECS released an image of the AMD FM1-based ECS A75F-A (Black Deluxe series), along with their early announcement of FM1 boards.

ECS A75F-A (Black Deluxe series)

jq60o.jpg

And a few more pictures of Sabertooth 990FX.

Asus TUF Sabertooth 990FX AM3+

cz8aj.jpg
ulxNn.jpg

bmNw8.jpg
uOdaX.jpg

Gm310.jpg
uHxgn.jpg

B6gmw.jpg
bvMH4.jpg

ZbULj.jpg

o6t5d.jpg

FQn1a.jpg

Sabertooth 990FX (AM3+) vs Crosshair IV Formula (AM3) vs Sabertooth X58 (1366)

oCvTR.jpg
3YJID.jpg

Top Bottom