• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Nvidia's stance on consoles "seems like sour grapes"

NeOak

Yeah probably, but how would a dual core 2005 Intel Core architecture CPU go? not so good I don't think. Theres a reason x86 was avoided in the console fora for a long time and one of the reasons they wen't with it this time was because they wanted a APU and the only company that really makes APU's makes them with x86 CPU's.

They were avoided because of cost, power and that it wasn't meant for embedded.

Back then neither Intel nor AMD did custom ones. Xbox CPU was a stock Pentium III Tualatin.

NeOak

Their is nothing "super advanced" about compilers for x86, the reason that x86 is competitive is simply because microarchitectures like Core, Nehalem, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell are very good.

Quite true. But the compiler bit is also true. Which one is the most developed branch of GCC? X86

Yes Nvidia is in such a good shape that they have to sell a portable gaming device and a tablet to convince OEMs to pick up Tegra 4.

Nvidia has lost a lot of good will overpromissing the Tegra line and have never delivered.

HokieJoe

How was that Nvidia's fault? As I recall, the inclusion of a dedicated GPU was relatively late in the PS3 development cycle? Perhaps it's all Sony could afford with the BOM so high already because of Cell and Bluray development.

Sony also got fucked over by Nvidia. The PS3's weak link was its GPU.

No Love

Banned
Nvdia and intel.

AMD is behind so much in both CPU and GPU tech.

Um, what? The Titan costs 3x as much as a 7950/7970 and is only 30% faster on average. That's pathetic.

It's hard to beat the 7950 for value, either. Comes with tons of games, OC's like crazy, 3GB of VRAM... they trade blows with GTX 760/670/680/770 all day long. And AMD is definitely going to be smacking down the Titan with a GPU that costs 40-50% less within the next 2 months.

It's hard not to recommend AMD's stellar line-up at this point. And I say this as someone who has bought Nvidia GPU's over the last two years. The ONLY reason I buy Nvidia GPU's is because I get them for 30-50% off retail.

Nethaniah

Um, what? The Titan costs 3x as much as a 7950/7970 and is only 30% faster on average. That's pathetic.

It's hard to beat the 7950 for value, either. Comes with tons of games, OC's like crazy, 3GB of VRAM... they trade blows with GTX 760/670/680/770 all day long. And AMD is definitely going to be smacking down the Titan with a GPU that costs 40-50% less within the next 2 months.

It's hard not to recommend AMD's stellar line-up at this point. And I say this as someone who has bought Nvidia GPU's over the last two years. The ONLY reason I buy Nvidia GPU's is because I get them for 30-50% off retail.

He used the word ''tech'' not ''value''

Jac_Solar

The basic gist was this:

They oversold the power of the GPU to Sony. They were promised a much more powerful GPU than MS, but Nvidia underdelivered, and Nvidia sold the GPU to the public (and Sony I believe, since it is still in their spec sheet) using unrealistic math promising the RSX to be 1.8 TFLOP, which is, of course, pure nonsense (the PS4's GPU is 1.8 TFLOP in comparison).

But did anyone at Sony actually believe those specs? If so, why?

TheD

The Detective
afaik its either GCC or LLVM/Clang that give you the result results code wise depending on what you are doing.

The intel C compiler seems just as fast if not faster in a bunch of benchmarks and the MS C compiler is also close.

But did anyone at Sony actually believe those specs? If so, why?

No, the whole 1.8TF GPU number came about due to MS stating BS and claiming that the 360 had 1TF of power, Sony wanted to come up with their own BS number to one up them and due to the fact Cell was already well known and STI had stated Cell's real power they had to get Nvidia to BS the GPU's power, that is why Nvidia came up with 1.8TF, that + the Cells real stated power = 2TF and that also happened to be 2x the 360's BS number.

He used the word ''tech'' not ''value''

Tech wise AMD GPUs are just as advanced as Nvidia GPUs, the only selling point on thast front for Nvidia is CUDA and the programs that run under it (like Physx).

Top Bottom