• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon HD 6870 and HD 6850 benchmarks

Red

If a 6990 lands for around $400 it will be a mighty fine temptation.

I am assuming a 6870 can't be crossfired with a 5870, otherwise that's probably the route I would take.

How big is Barts(6800)?

03a8832f-e10d-44d7-8562-dc5cfe731ab0.jpg

Big square --> 470/480 chip
inner white part --> barts chip

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/21/amd_radeon_hd_6870_6850_video_card_review
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3600/sapphire_radeon_hd_6850_1gb_video_card/index.html
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3601/amd_radeon_hd_6870_1gb_video_card/index.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6870/
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Radeon_HD_6850_Direct_Cu/
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1445/1/
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru.../37286-amd-radeon-hd-6870-hd-6850-review.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/...renewing-competition-in-the-midrange-market/6

Shame news:
Some sites are actually using 460 OC models to bench against the stock HD6800.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260720&page=37

Darkatomz

DaBuddaDa said:
I always buy XFX cards, but their 6870 is $40 more expensive for some reason. No clue why!?
XFX is the only company is the business that offers a double lifetime warranty. You get a lifetime warranty, and if you sell it to a friend, they'll have a lifetime warranty also. It's rare enough to find a company these days that even does lifetime warranties at all these days, let alone 2, if these kinds of things matter to you.

Anyways, I was considering a GTX460 prior to these benches being released (and I prefer Nvidia anyways in terms of drivers and a company in general), but I'm not sure there are many other big selling points for me anymore.

I haven't owned an ATI (AMD) card before, so can someone tell me the equivalent software of MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner?

Darkatomz said:
XFX is the only company is the business that offers a double lifetime warranty. You get a lifetime warranty, and if you sell it to a friend, they'll have a lifetime warranty also. It's rare enough to find a company these days that even does lifetime warranties at all these days, let alone 2, if these kinds of things matter to you.

Anyways, I was considering a GTX460 prior to these benches being released (and I prefer Nvidia anyways in terms of drivers and a company in general), but I'm not sure there are many other big selling points for me anymore.

I haven't owned an ATI (AMD) card before, so can someone tell me the equivalent software of MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner?

Afterburner works on AMD.

Also
http://radeonpro.info/

From anandtech
33214.png

33217.png

33245.png

Niblet

Ryoma-Echizen said:
Shame news:
Some sites are actually using 460 OC models to bench against the stock HD6800.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260720&page=37

Wow, someone on the forum stated this:

What's embarrassing is that some sites took NVIDIA suggestion and actively tested the GTX 460 OCs against the HD 6800 series without providing OC HD 6800 results for comparison.

Fucking Nvidia is shameless :lol :lol :lol This is how you do business. If you can't offer a better product, sabotage the numbers!

HD6850 in CF consumes almost the same as a single GTX470.
HD6870 in CF consumes less than a single GTX480.
GTX460 1GB SLI consumes more than a HD6870 in CF (with way worse performance on the 460)

See above.

Toki767

Are there any reviews for the different 6870 cards yet? I wanted to pick one up but I'm not sure which to get. I'm leaning towards the MSI one though.

Toki767 said:
Are there any reviews for the different 6870 cards yet? I wanted to pick one up but I'm not sure which to get. I'm leaning towards the MSI one though.

They're all the generic model. Sapphire includes a dvi to displayport adaptor. The choose should be based on who offers better warranty.

dLMN8R

Oh man, this is tough.

Do I want to spend the $180 on the 6850 to upgrade from my 512MB 4870? (the 512MB is killing me at 1920x1200)

Do I want to spend more for the 6870? Or maybe get the GTX 460 "FTW" model so I can get PhysX acceleration in there too?

Decisions decisions...

Chris R

dLMN8R said:
Oh man, this is tough.

Do I want to spend the $180 on the 6850 to upgrade from my 512MB 4870? (the 512MB is killing me at 1920x1200)

Do I want to spend more for the 6870? Or maybe get the GTX 460 "FTW" model so I can get PhysX acceleration in there too?

Decisions decisions...
Pretty much the same position I'm in. Really depends on how much I can find a 6870 for.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
dLMN8R said:
Oh man, this is tough.

Decisions decisions...
Go for the 6850. It has voltage tweaks and clocks pretty well. Not as well a 460, but darn well enough to justify buying it.
If PhysX is important, get the 460 1GB (normal model) and overclock it and volt it yourself.
I think putting the 460 OC version in there is a reminded of just how much of a beast the 460 can clock. Anandtech included it and it really shows how thin the margins of performance are between 5 models of cards.
Anything above $200 just doesn't offer good return on your money.

Overall I'm pleased with the $180 price point AMD has slotted the 6850 into. It's a damn good deal and the small die size and efficiency is great to everyone. The 6870 at $240 is the product of the GTX 470 pricing, I'd have liked to see it at $220, expected $230. My guess is that it will go down to $230 within a month or get some kind of bonus on purchase.

dLMN8R

In the end, the $50 price difference is pretty significant at this low range. I think I'll wait for the cards to show up on Amazon so I can use my Prime subscription for free shipping, then order a 6850 :D

27.8% price increase for 10-15% performance increase just doesn't make sense, and as an owner of a 4870, I haven't missed PhysX support so far. Besides, since PhysX kills performance, I probably wouldn't use it anyway even with a GTX 460.

[edit]
Hazaro said:
Go for the 6850. It has voltage tweaks and clocks pretty well. Not as well a 460, but darn well enough to justify buying it.
If PhysX is important, get the 460 1GB (normal model) and overclock it and volt it yourself.
I think putting the 460 OC version in there is a reminded of just how much of a beast the 460 can clock. Anandtech included it and it really shows how thin the margins of performance are between 5 models of cards.
Anything above $200 just doesn't offer good return on your money.

Overall I'm pleased with the $180 price point AMD has slotted the 6850 into. It's a damn good deal and the small die size and efficiency is great to everyone. The 6870 at $240 is the product of the GTX 470 pricing, I'd have liked to see it at $220, expected $230. My guess is that it will go down to $230 within a month or get some kind of bonus on purchase.
What you said :lol

Are there any good looks into how the 6850 overclocks? I'm sure they're linked here but I'm looking for the best report. So far I've only read AnandTech's review, and they didn't cover overclocking yet.

Mrbob

I have a GTX 470, so I don't need an upgrade anytime soon but I'm still really impressed with how ATI gets such high performance out of low wattage. Even if the 6000 series doesn't blow away the 5000 (it can't since its on the same process), the fact that everything is improved and running at lower wattage is still very impressive. ATI will continue to dominate the OEM market because of this, getting these chips into a ton of different manufacturer builds.

New ATI cards seem a little bit behind still in tessellation though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
dLMN8R said:
In the end, the $50 price difference is pretty significant at this low range. I think I'll wait for the cards to show up on Amazon so I can use my Prime subscription for free shipping, then order a 6850 :D

27.8% price increase for 10-15% performance increase just doesn't make sense, and as an owner of a 4870, I haven't missed PhysX support so far. Besides, since PhysX kills performance, I probably wouldn't use it anyway even with a GTX 460.

[edit]What you said :lol

Are there any good looks into how the 6850 overclocks? I'm sure they're linked here but I'm looking for the best report. So far I've only read AnandTech's review, and they didn't cover overclocking yet.
900-950Mhz on the core, 4400Mhz on memory.
With some extra volts you can hit over 1Ghz just like the 5 series it seems.
It's not the 25-30% of a GTX 460, but a respectable 15-20% boost. TechPowerup and Guru3D have an OC page. Anand had one at their end I thought? Might be wrong, read too many reviews already :lol
*The 6870 doesn't seem to reach much higher clocks either, so an OC'd 6850 is even more value there
Mrbob said:
I have a GTX 470, so I don't need an upgrade anytime soon but I'm still really impressed with how ATI gets such high performance out of low wattage. Even if the 6000 series doesn't blow away the 5000 (it can't since its on the same process), the fact that everything is improved and running at lower wattage is still very impressive. ATI will continue to dominate the OEM market because of this, getting these chips into a ton of different manufacturer builds.
More impressive is the 33% smaller die size combined with the wattage.

Sanjay

Yeah over-clocking looks disappointing so far, but that could be down to no voltage increase and stock cooling.

Cipherr

Just nabbed a 6870 from Newegg. Got the Sapphire over the asus only because the asus card has a small factory OC, and I just have a rule against factory OC GPU's at release. No matter the cost I just dont do that.

But in any case, Hell yeah, $239 for a card that is neck and neck with the 470 and runs cooler and uses a lot less wattage. Awesome.

dLMN8R said:
Oh man, this is tough.

Decisions decisions...

Some games like Mafia II makes almost mandatory an SLI setup for an smooth physx experience. Call that unoptimized.

With access to the voltages the 6850 can do a 4.8-5Ghz memory clock. Both 6850/6870 uses 5Ghz GDDR5 chips.

Shambles

Happy to have an option to compete with the 460's. Overall though it's a little faster, and a little more expensive. TR's still showing a very slight value lead with the 460's but it will be interesting to see what happens with prices, drivers, and OC'ability with retail 6800 cards with custom board designs in the coming month.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
is ATI going to have a PhysX equivalent for games?

Games have been using physics long before nVidia ever thought to try to turn it into a brand. Using manufacturer dependent middle-ware for games is stupid and the sooner physX(It sounds so badass with an X doesn't it) dies the better. Any sensible dev codes game physics using platform neutral code.

Rich!

So, is it worth upgrading from a 5770 to a 6870? It's £175 on ebuyer - I can sell my 5770 for around £90, which means the upgrade is £80ish. The higher spec is what I'm interested in.

From those charts it looks like the framerate increase is huuuge.

edit - IM DOING IT

Lucius86

Banned
Rur0ni said:
nVidia and ATI have a very competitive line-up here.

It's great - I thought I was going to get another year out of my 4870, but now I am wondering if I should plump the money for one of these bad boys...or even a 69xx card.

Boof

So the GTX 470 and the 6870 run very close to each other in benchmarks. Is the quality of the drivers going to be a big factor here? I know Nvidia has better drivers. Is it so significant that I should choose a GTX 470 over the 6870? Or is the lower power usage and cooler temps the X factor here?

Binabik15

I hope that ATI AMD cards are easier to get this time around, I had to wait months for my order of a 5850 from around launch to be delivered to me. I´m pleasantly surprised that the 6850 is starting at 169€ at hardwareversand.de for the XFX version and the 6870 at 219€. The 58XX series is now dropped in price as well, finally. I can´t wait for the 69XX cards to be tested (is it 69XX or what, stupid name changes).

I already have a 5850, so no upgrading for me at least until next year. Or, more realistically, in a few years when the next-gen consoles drop and a mid-range pc isn´t capable anymore of absolutely destroying any multiplat game.

I want new shiny stuff, but except for Crysis´s alien temple/tower level and the Metro 2033 intro where you encounter your first mutant dog or whatever they are, nothing made me wish for more power, so I can´t justify spending money. All the particles in those two instances made my FPS drop to ~20 and made me sad, though ;_;

PS: I might try to convince my dad to upgrade his pc with a new GPU, he has a pre-built with a shitty GPU that´s bottlenecking like hell. I might palm off my 5850 to him and get myself a new card ;)

morphological%20aa%20comparo.gif

Looks a tad bit blurrier but still a godsend for games that don't support AA.

It also seems to affect HUD elements

morphological%20aa%20text.gif

And it also can't be captured with Fraps so no super pretty screenshots.

JADS

Backfoggen said:
morphological%20aa.png

Looking good. Now where are the pics!

Small performance hit? Oh wow, so wrong wording on slide? I thought it would have the same performance as the Edge Detect filter. That would have been terrible. I hope it's not that blurry otherwise it's time to sell the old 5850.

Edit: meh
"With morphological AA enabled, we fired up Battlefield Bad Company 2. The post-processing filter didn’t seem to make any difference at all. Careful checking verified that, indeed, it does not seem to work with this title. So much for automatic compatibility with all DirectX 9 to 11 games." <- I hope that some custom profiles can remedy that.

dLMN8R said:
Oh man, this is tough.

Decisions decisions...

The 6850 isn't a big enough leap fro then 4870 imo. Go with the 6870.

Single card PhysX is a crapshoot. You're going to want a dedicated PhysX card whether you go with Nvidia or AMD if you want decent PhysX performance.

JADS said:
Small performance hit? Oh wow, so wrong wording on slide? I thought it would have the same performance as the Edge Detect filter. That would have been terrible. I hope it's not that blurry otherwise it's time to sell the old 5850.

Edit: meh
"With morphological AA enabled, we fired up Battlefield Bad Company 2. The post-processing filter didn’t seem to make any difference at all. Careful checking verified that, indeed, it does not seem to work with this title. So much for automatic compatibility with all DirectX 9 to 11 games." <- I hope that some custom profiles can remedy that.

RadeonPro should make that something that is very easily rectified. Juts wait until the program updates.

AMD achieve the effect through a simple compute shader. There's no technical reason it can't work on 5xxx series cards (or DX11 Nvidia cards for that matter! :lol ), if AMD don't support it on 5xxx series cards officially someone else will hack it in, probably the RadeonPro guys.

I didn't think the 6850 would be this good. I'm pretty confident my Corsair 450 can handle the 6870, but I don't really want to use the 4-6 pin adapter. I'm thinking I might just go with the 6850 to replace my 8800GTS 512.

Top Bottom