• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD sends autistic boy parts for a gming PC, dickhead brother takes it for himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was in the kid's apology? Looks like a mod deleted it.

Why does Reddit do that? Is it because there's a minor involved or do they try to erase all evidence of every shitshow over there?

Breaking news: guy posting on forum named after Nazis is a bit of a cunt.

More details as they come in.

Haha! I thought the same thing, anyone who considers themselves part of the PC Master Race is at least a tiny bit of a jackass.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Breaking news: guy posting on forum named after Nazis is a bit of a cunt.

More details as they come in.

It's kind of funny how they've named themselves after a super snarky sarcastic comment regarding the superiority of PC gaming by Zero Punctuation

Gaf has a defense force for fucking everything.

Not surprised. These people would most likely to do the same as the older brother in this situation.

As someone who works with kids and had dealt with kids with disabilities in the past, fuck all of you who don't think it's a big deal to take advantage of them.

Pathetic flops.

It's kind of funny how they've named themselves after a super snarky sarcastic comment regarding the superiority of PC gaming by Zero Punctuation
How many people who post there know that's where it originated would you guess? And it's one thing to laugh at it, another to think it's a cool idea to belong to a community named after it.

Granted I think people who feel uncomfortable about the Nazi association are ridiculous. But it is really dorky, sort of like starting a car club named after the gang from Fast and Furious.

Insert self into problem with no consequences? I can damn near guarantee if I knew the kid I would be knocking on his door to fix this issue. Everyone railing on the kid worked and the problem is being resolved now. That doesn't happen unless people call the older brother out.

<insert joke about sibling trickle-down economics never working>

Anyway, so a teenager makes a stupid, selfish decision and, thanks to this being 2015, will also have to live with having broadcast it to the world. He sees the outrage, realises what he's done is stupid and selfish and attempts to right the wrong, making more minor errors along the way, but he at least still, from what he writes, appears to have his heart in the right place. Wow, what a unique story...

But, of course, the Internet outrage machine largely self-perpetuates on the ignorance of the large portions of its members who only cared about the initial story and nothing else. Then, its members begin the typical calls for his head, denouncement of his humanity and doxxing as, slowly, more reasonable replies applying some more supposedly grey morality rise to the top.

Well, at least one person will have learned something from this. But I'm not sure it's completely what was intended by the mob: On the Internet, under the guise of pseudo-anonymity, anyone and anything is considered fair game and thus deserves to be shot on sight. This is sometimes used for good. Indeed, there appears to be some basic understanding of morality at work, but more often than not, it's much too black-and-white to adequately deal with the real person behind the nickname.

The ends justify the means, though, right? Well, in my inconsequential opinion, it all could have been achieved with much less drama and death threats. He's a teenager; it doesn't give him the right to be shitty (especially to his little autistic brother), but it should signal others that some carefully measured leniency is probably required to deal with the situation in an educational way. Not everyone is an empathetic parent or trained educator (and there's all the self-justified ride-along trolls to consider, too), but I question whether that's even necessary.

That's not how this all works, though. It probably should, but it sadly doesn't. It doesn't excuse his initial offence, but I hope that this is among the things he takes from this when he perhaps grows up to become a parent of his own.

No Love

Banned

Supposed to be "tongue in cheek", IIRC.

Anyone that uses the term "PC Master Race" as anything other than tongue in cheek is a preposterous buffoon.

waxer

Not to justify anyone's actions but we also don't know anyone else's backgrounds and if they have been directly or indirectly affected by similar behaviour. To many assumptions to speculation is normally made because so little information is given. I work with one guy with huge behavioural issues. Punching, poo flinging etc
A lot is all based around getting attention and what built up to be abuse growing up because all family treated similar to this but fairly constant.

We cant make that judgement though as really none of our business. But my point is I also can't really judge the overreactions of those that are just venting and not in direct communication with the kid. Although I guess one could also argue that those vents also go towards helping the people that make death threats etc feel justified in what they do.

Someone posted a screen cap in the thread:

gYa76XU.png

"No, you see, I didn't steal the parts, I'm merely training him to be a PC elitist!"

or

"He's autistic, I need to show him how it's done!"

What a piece of shit. I love how he tries to backpedal by saying he has two jobs and millions of other bullshit excuses. Word of advice you..., you were born with the capability to work two jobs at the same time and accomplish what you need to do, your brother is most likely not. Think about that for a minute.

McLovin

All the kids pc needed was a better power supply no? He has 2 jobs and apparently a $50 part was out of the question.

Dennis

Banned
There's nothing wrong here. That's how brothers are.

Sometimes people act as if they've never actually experienced real life. Everyone is an asshat for the smallest and most insignificant acts.

That sounds like something an asshole older brother would say.

Azulsky

BTW -Where are the parents for these two kids?

I agree with the sentiment in the reddit thread linked in the OP.

If the older brother is family tech support then he could come up with a plausible lie that many parents would take as divine law without a second thought.

samn

"As of right now, he will be playing on 720p with the 1440p monitor until we can upgrade his rig."

If you gave him his fucking GPU he could play it at native resolution you monster. You can upgrade it RIGHT NOW. God fucking dammit. As an older brother, who was frequently a dick to his brother, this makes me rage so hard. I mean I was nice to him when it mattered, like helping him with his computer.

No he can't. It has a shit PSU that would be overloaded by the new GPU, and potentially damage the entire system if it was turned on.

LawfulEnder

Neo Member
It is a joke that is going way over most peoples heads here apparently.

Aside from the actual console vs PC banter its generally one of the more chill subreddits.

What's funny about referring to oneself as a member of the Master Race? If it's a joke I certainly don't get it.

On-Topic: The older brother sounds like he has a lot of growing up to do, and hopefully he does it.

Cels

the little brother probably looks up to his big brother. he might have had some feeling that his big brother taking the monitor and parts into his room was wrong but just went along with it because his big brother is a selfish piece of shit.

triple monitor setup, expensive keyboard, can't be arsed to buy $80 PSU for his little brother lol

I imagine about a 600w PSU should be enough, which is less than $50 on Amazon with free shipping. But that excuse is bullshit anyway, since he took the monitor as well.

I'm just surprised he lacks self-awareness to the point where he didn't realize how much of an asshole this would make him look by posting these photos with these descriptions.

iMax

Not surprised. These people would most likely to do the same as the older brother in this situation.

As someone who works with kids and had dealt with kids with disabilities in the past, fuck all of you who don't think it's a big deal to take advantage of them.

Pathetic flops.

So you think it's acceptable to send this brother to prison and have him flogged?

Just because people don't share your support for the hatred directed towards the older brother, doesn't mean that they're not compassionate for the victim. Most are incredibly compassionate for what's happened to this kid. It sucks a lot.

But this is just another instance of a crazy overreaction from some people behind their keyboards who legitimately think that it's acceptable to dox and threaten to murder people, for whatever reason they like. It's outta line.

darthbob

It's situations like this when I really start to despise online communities.

Yes the big brother was a dick about using what was intended to be his little brother's hardware, and yes he has handled it less than gracefully, however the villification and groupthink regarding him is just absurd.

Yes the big brother was a dick about using what was intended to be his little brother's hardware, and yes he has handled it less than gracefully, however the villification and groupthink regarding him is just absurd.
giphy.gif

Pathetic flops.

Yeah. I'm really not sure how anyone could defend this. But you know, GAF and all.

Yeah. I'm really not sure how anyone could defend this. But you know, GAF and all.
There's a defense force for everything. There was even a guy on here who was an ISIS defender, so it's not surprising there are a few who are just like the older brother and want to defend him.

iMax

There's a defense force for everything. There was even a guy on here who was an ISIS defender, so it's not surprising there are a few who are just like the older brother and want to defend him.

Holy shit, do you not care at all what happens to him then? Anything's fair game, yeah?!

The Cowboy

Holy shit, do you not care at all what happens to him then? Anything's fair game, yeah?!

Its bizarre isn't it. its like the term "defence force" gets thrown around way to easy nowadays.

Person A: The older brother deserves to be disowned/beaten up/killed etc.
Person B: Hey, the older brother is an ass for what he did, but really - disowning him?, beating him up?, death threats? - that's going way over the top.
Person C/D/E/F/G etc: OMG, there is a defence for anything.

iMax

Its bizarre isn't it. its like the term "defence force" gets thrown around way to easy nowadays.

Person A: The older brother deserves to be disowned/beaten up/killed etc.
Person B: Hey, the older brother is an ass, but really - disowning him, beating him up, death threats is going way over the top".
Person A; OMG, there is a defence for anything.

I'm sick of it. Some people in here are gonna be real shitty parents one day.

The Cowboy

You actually take the beaten up/killed/etc posts seriously? Lol those are shit posts. Everything else is legitimate.
When you factor in that the person has actually received death threats/has been doxed etc, its pretty dam easy to take some of the posts seriously - I fully believe quite a few posts in this thread with some seriously shitty statements in them are totally serious.

If funny that you said "there is a defence force for everything", when you yourself seem to be defending posts with threats in them.

If funny that you said "there is a defence force for everything", when you yourself are actually defending such posts/threats.
Me pointing out your silly defense force is considered by you to be a defense force of itself now?

#GAFDefenseForce has evolved!

There is no defense force for this guy. A defense force against illegal criminal threats and hacking is fine. Everyone agrees with that.

And if you go back to the original quote I posted, my GIF response was to the alleged "vilification", not criminal threats.

You took my response which was about internet vilification, and went all HERP DERP WHAT ABOUT THREATS DERP!!!?
however the villification and groupthink regarding him is just absurd.

If you had included the killing/beating/hacking segments which were posted later, I would have obviously agreed. #Retroactive

Me pointing out your silly defense force is considered by you to be a defense force of itself now?

#GAFDefenseForce has evolved!

There is no defense force for this guy. A defense force against illegal criminal threats and hacking is fine. Everyone agrees with that.

And if you go back to the original quote I posted, my GIF response was to the alleged "vilification", not criminal threats.

You took my response which was about internet vilification, and went all HERP DERP WHAT ABOUT THREATS DERP!!!?

Here's the sad truth:

If the brother was not autistic, the older brother wouldn't be getting the level of intensity that he currently is. No death threats. No hyperbolic internet rants. People would still be calling him a dick, sure, but because it is AUTISM OH NOES, this has gone to the next level.

Which is insulting in itself. This isn't indignation over a story about nobody coming to a kids birthday party, it's that an older sibling took advantage of a mentally handicapped one.

Here's the sad truth:

If the brother was not autistic, the older brother wouldn't be getting the level of intensity that he currently is. No death threats. No hyperbolic internet rants. People would still be calling him a dick, sure, but because it is AUTISM OH NOES, this has gone to the next level.

Which is insulting in itself.
Absolutely.

Walk up to an adult male and slap him in the face. Record it and post it online.

Walk up to a small baby boy, slap him in the face. Record it and post it online.

The amount of death threats each one provokes would be massively different.

Taking advantage of/abusing the ones who aren't capable of/less capable to defend themselves/take care of themselves will always be seen as significantly worse.

I think everyone agreeing that a thieving older brother is a piece of shit is the sort of "vilification and groupthink" we can all get behind.

Absolutely.

Walk up to an adult male and slap him in the face. Record it and post it online.

Walk up to a small baby boy, slap him in the face. Record it and post it online.

The amount of death threats each one provokes would be massively different.

Not sure if serious.

If you assault a baby versus an adult... that's kind of different from people issuing death threats to someone just because the person they stole from has a neurological condition.

My point was that there should be no difference in anger if the kid had autism or not. The brother stole hundreds of dollars worth of computer parts, not a kidney.

ElTopo

Banned
Yeah, I call BS on the older brother's claim. PSU's are cheap, you could buy a 600 watt for like $60-70 in store. You could easily save a couple bucks if you buy online.

The Cowboy

Didn't even notice. I'm on my phone though which is a PoS, so maybe.

It happens to me a lot to on my phone to, it was your full post for a bit - it could be they left the part out on purpose, but that last part wasn't showing for me until i refreshed the page.

Edit.
LOL, just like that - you edited while i posted :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom