• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD TressFX 3.0 at GDC 2015 - Deus Ex Universe + Dawn Engine

Thank god, I was afraid with so many people complaining about TressFX being a waste of resources that they were going to stop making/updating the tech. I need MORE games with pretty hair.

Not even slightly being facetious, I made a thread about how much I loved TressFX in Tomb Raider and how so many games since then have truly felt 'last gen' by comparison.

Karak

I am going to this discussion. I admit I am very interested in this kind of thing. It needs to see huge improvements.

iavi

AMD let themselves get passed up by all of Nvidia's Hairworks dev grabs, though TressFX was/is the more impressive.

The 2.0 benefits were never passed on to the PC version of tomb-raider, to really see the performance gains from 1.0, but it looked/performed great on the PS4.

Really interested in seeing where 3.0 goes. It seems like the only people concerned with hair advancements in games are AMD, Nvidia, and Square-Enix lol.

Maniac

Banned
It will have an online component, maybe seamless MP. I'm not worried because a SP only game does not sell enough nowadays unless it's pushed as an exclusive.

... Are you saying a singleplayer-only game doesn't sell enough nowadays?

If so, you're delusional.

TressFX was pretty inconsistent. You would think if you're putting this tech in a game where the main character seems to spend a fair amount of time dangling upside down, you would make sure the hair actually follows suit.

IceIpor

Cool. Maybe they'll optimize it to run well not only on their GPUs this time.
Right. Unlike Nvidia and their Hairworks version? We know that won't really happen.

Besides, wasn't the reason why it ran poorly on the 600/700 series was because they had low DirectCompute power compared to the Radeons of that generation?

markot

Banned
Hair physics is really important and stops my immersion in games. Why doesnt Marios hair move? Fuck you nintendo thats just lazy.

And shit like this is what AMD needs to top Nvidia. I know that when I buy a graphics card, im thinking 'Hair'.

9D8xGtV.jpg

UE4 is very good and can portray Deus Ex universe very well, and there is a special Deus Ex UE4 using Quixel released. We will see how their Dawn Engine stands in front of UE4.

Kiant

Can we take this to mean that the next Deus Ex game will get announced at or before GDC?

Down know about that. This engine was announced a while back, but there was no official game announcement - even though they mentioned it would be used in the next Deus Ex.

I reckon E3.

dr_rus

Right. Unlike Nvidia and their Hairworks version? We know that won't really happen.

Besides, wasn't the reason why it ran poorly on the 600/700 series was because they had low DirectCompute power compared to the Radeons of that generation?
Unlike v1.0 of TressFX.

No, it was because the code wasn't optimised for anything but Radeons. Which is easy to spot if you follow the fixes which Nv made via drivers in like two weeks. After these TressFX in TR worked fine on 600/700 series.

That it will be used in barely any games so why get excited about it. Get excited about a solution that has decent performance on both brands and won't be crippled.

TressFX is open, unlike Nvidia's GameWorks libraries. Nvidia can optimize the hell out of it if they want to. The same can't be said about Nvidia's black boxes. v1.0 might have been unoptimized on release, but at this point v3.0 should be working nicely and could be adopted by many more devs. Personally I'm thinking that we're pretty much done with static short hair, and any new next gen AAA game should have some form of dynamic hair.

dr_rus

TressFX is open, unlike Nvidia's GameWorks libraries. Nvidia can optimize the hell out of it if they want to. The same can't be said about Nvidia's black boxes. v1.0 might have been unoptimized on release, but at this point v3.0 should be working nicely and could be adopted by many more devs. Personally I'm thinking that we're pretty much done with static short hair, and any new next gen AAA game should have some form of dynamic hair.

Right. So where can I download the source code for TressFX 3.0?

Don't play the usual AMD's bullcrap. They always call every tech of theirs "open" even when it most definitely not.

Top Bottom