• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nooooooooooooo. :'(

Probably Sean Davis.

:(

Davis will be fine in that spot, he was great when Dax got injured. That said, HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT HAPPENED??

Holy cow, I did not see Dax being traded at all. Reminds me of when the Fire traded Shipp to MTL. Still I thought Dax was one of the safest players in the league in terms of least likely to be moved.

If you had asked me this morning I would have told you we'd trade Veron before Dax, but that shows how much I know.

- Soccer Bosses Want a $1 Billion Pan-American Tournament
After soccer’s international governing body moved to expand the World Cup, regional officials are considering creating a new tournament pitting the best national teams in the Americas against each other, according to several people with knowledge of the discussions.

Concacaf, which oversees the sport in North and Central America and the Caribbean, is weighing holding its biennial national team competition every four years, said the people, who asked not to be identified as talks continue. The switch would create room for a new quadrennial tournament that would also include teams from South America, perhaps as early as 2020.

Revamping the Concacaf Gold Cup, which has always been held in the U.S., would bring it into line with other major regional competitions and the World Cup, which are played every four years. The global tournament this month was expanded to include 48 teams, up from 32, starting in 2026.

Concacaf President Victor Montagliani has asked for an evaluation of all the competitions it runs, including the Gold Cup, the organization said in a statement.

Copa America

The success of last year’s Copa America Centenario, which was billed as a one-time event to mark the anniversary of South America’s Copa America but also included teams from elsewhere in the Western Hemisphere, prompted regional soccer officials to consider a regular tournament. The new event would bring traditional powers Brazil and Argentina face to face with national teams from Mexico and the U.S., two of the region’s most lucrative broadcast and sponsorship markets.

The Centenario, put together hastily after nearly collapsing following the arrests of several regional soccer leaders in an investigation into corruption allegations, generated roughly $400 million, about four times what the Gold Cup raises, according to two of the people. Having more time to sell commercial rights would lead to far higher revenues, said Patrick Nally, the Englishman who pioneered sports sponsorship at global governing body FIFA.
The 2016 European Championship had sales of more than $2 billion, and Nally said a joint event featuring the best teams from North and South America could generate at least half that much.

“As a tournament it would be very strong commercially,” Nally said by phone. “The U.S. is a very commercially viable market with more broadcast and media opportunities as soccer is gathering more and more momentum there.”

For broadcasters, the 2016 Centenario, won by Chile in a final against Argentina in front of a packed MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, proved a boon. Univision, which paid $70 million for Spanish-language rights in the U.S., sold more than $135 million in advertising.

Fox Interest

21st Century Fox Inc.’s sports division, which provided the English-language broadcasts, has expressed interest in buying rights to a new event, said one of the people. Fox and Alejandro Dominguez, the president of South American soccer body Conmebol, didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Last week, Concacaf announced it had chosen sports marketer Lagardere Sports to sell commercial rights to the next two editions of the Gold Cup, in 2017 and 2019, the same year Brazil hosts the Copa America. The first opportunity for the proposed combined event is 2020. One stumbling point would be to get professional clubs to release players for another event in soccer’s already packed annual calendar.

gutshot

Good but not surprising news. After the success of the Copa America Centenario, a quadrennial Americas tournament seemed a foregone conclusion. I wonder if it will just always be hosted in the US?

3rd and 4th rounds of the MLS draft starting up via conference call. Results should be out soon, but don't expect many of these guys to stick.

Mully

I half expected the Dax move earlier this offseason but I can't believe they did it to him a day after his wedding.

Oh wow, I missed the announcement that the World Cup is expanding to 48 teams. Yikes.

While the level of play has improved worldwide, there is still a big gap between the top teams and lower level teams. Even right now at 32 teams, the 31st and 32nd team usually struggle to be competitive.

Looking at the proposed setups, it seems there's going to be a lot of elimination games (PK shootouts galore). They're even proposing having draws in group play goto PKs. This is way too much of a drastic change, IMO.

I guess at least with the WC going to 48 teams, the US is guaranteed to qualify every single time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Good but not surprising news. After the success of the Copa America Centenario, a quadrennial Americas tournament seemed a foregone conclusion. I wonder if it will just always be hosted in the US?

There's been rumors about this since the first ticket sales went up, least surprising news ever. I too wonder what the details are.

I half expected the Dax move earlier this offseason but I can't believe they did it to him a day after his wedding.

Maybe they were waiting for the call-up in the hopes it'd boost the price?

I approve of the Legit contract extension.

The Jermaine Jones signing, I'm more... "ehh". I really wish LAG would go younger and start building something long-term. JJ feels like another one and done season. Maaaybe two.

LA Galaxy sign Portuguese midfielder João Pedro
vyfQsn4.jpg
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (Thursday, Jan. 19, 2017) – The LA Galaxy announced today that the club has signed Portuguese Midfielder João Pedro Almeida Machado, known as João Pedro, from Vitória Guimarães of Portugal’s first division. Pedro, 23, was added as a Special Discovery Player through Target Allocation Money (TAM). He will occupy an International roster spot and officially join the Galaxy’s roster pending the receipt of his ITC and P-1 Visa.

The LA Galaxy heard your concern and decided to address it immediately. This looks to be a great signing, it really strengthens the midfield. Pedro is 23 years old and hopefully he continues to improve as a player. Zardes, Lletget, Boateng and Pedro all being 25 or younger looks excellent.

I do not mind Jermaine Jones. The important part is that he is not a DP. Last season, Ashley Cole could be seen as a one and done type of player, and he ended up having a great season and is coming back again this year. Mike Magee was another player in a similar situation and he had an ok season. I am fine with the LA Galaxy taking these type of chances on certain players. When it comes to DP's then I do agree with you.

Interview with LA Galaxy President Chris Klein
Klein was quick to point out that locating João Pedro was a long and exhausting task that fell to new General Manager, Peter Vagenas and Technical Director, Jovan Kirovski.

“We’ve continuously ramped up our scouting system… And Pete, and his group, and Jovan Kirovski have spent an incredible amount of time away from here scouting and talking and looking for players.”

I found this to be really interesting. The signing of Pedro was all due to the new management and I guess Arena had nothing to do with it. I wonder just how much Arena had planned out for the new season, and how far into negotiations he was with potential new players. Does the new management go in a different direction or do they continue pursuing players Arena was pursuing? With two DP's available they have to make some big decisions.

Cystm

New Chinese Super League rule could open doors for MLS

The Chinese Football Association announced on Monday that Chinese Super League clubs would be allowed to field a maximum of three non-Chinese players per game. Previously, teams were allowed to field one non-Chinese player from the Asian confederation plus three non-Asian foreigners per match.

The new rule will go into effect at the start of the 2017 CSL season, which kicks off on March 4. It’ll cause some immediate issues for Chinese clubs who have spent hugely to lure big-name internationals in recent years, forcing them to either cut the playing time of some of their foreign signings or cut bait with them entirely.

Bring back Oba!

Christian Pulisic signed an extension with Borussia Dortmund through 2020. Good move for him. Might as well continue to develop there and save the big money moves for later.

I wonder how they'll handle berths moving forward then. Makes no sense for a 2016 winner to play in 2018.

Curious if they have a playoff with Toronto and whoever wins this year's Canadian Championship, if it's not Toronto.

Cystm

SBI: Acosta, Hedges, Manneh depart USMNT January camp

Kellyn Acosta, Matt Hedges and Kekuta Manneh departed USMNT camp, leaving the roster at 28 players ahead of the team’s two scheduled friendlies. Acosta’s departure was caused by a mild left ankle sprain, according to U.S. Soccer, whileS Hedges is dealing with a mild sprain in his right knee.

Manneh, meanwhile, joins the Vancouver Whitecaps for preseason in Wales. The Whitecaps forward recently received his citizenship but is not yet eligible to represent the USMNT as paperwork is finalized.

Zelalem's loan to 2nd tier VVV Venlo in Holland is confirmed. It's a step down from his Rangers loan last year. I had assumed he was leaving Arsenal on a free transfer this Summer, but apparently he signed an extension before the loan deal went through.

Terrance Boyd has joined Darmstadt on an 18-month deal. They're currently in last place in the Bundesliga.

Meier

Wow. Surprised about Zelalem.. so much scuttlebutt about him moving to BVB or another German club. I can't see him ever breaking through at Arsenal so it's a shame a permanent move wasn't sorted.

Orlando City just confirmed that they signed Jonathan Spector

EDIT:
Wow. Surprised about Zelalem.. so much scuttlebutt about him moving to BVB or another German club. I can't see him ever breaking through at Arsenal so it's a shame a permanent move wasn't sorted.
Someone posted a report that noted Arsenal were more interested in having him play with a promotion candidate (VVV are in first place) rather than a relegation candidate in the top tier.

Cystm

Will Parchman: How They Rank: The best MLS academies

Top 3:

3. New York Red Bulls
Top product: D Matt Miazga
Top current player: D Chris Gloster

The Red Bulls’ academy itself is unquestionably an MLS development blue blood. Even a cursory glance down the list of signings over the last year alone should make that plain. It’s the premier developer in the Northeast and has been for years, a reality that hasn’t changed. The fact it basically walked to a 2016 USL championship with a ton of Homegrowns certainly helps the argument. Take a look at the academy standings year over year and that should be more obvious. The only question marks are why it takes the organization so long to sign some players who should, by all rights, be handed Homegrown deals far earlier (like, for instance, whatever’s happening with Adam Najem). But in general it’s hard to mark the Red Bulls off for not signing HGs in comparison to the league average, and Red Bulls players (like prized U18 fullback Chris Gloster) still grace USYNT camp rosters regularly. NYCFC has work to do.

2. LA Galaxy
Top product: F Gyasi Zardes
Top current player: M Efrain Alvarez

In a lot of ways the Galaxy are trailblazers in the youth development game. They were the first to use their USL pipeline, the first to sign a Homegrown player and generally among the first to recognize the value of a robust development apparatus. Life in the Galaxy academy is still good. They house perhaps the most exciting player in the entire DA in Efrain Alvarez, and they were the first to integrate a high school program into the academy structure to streamline scheduling. But there’s an argument that FCD stole some of the Galaxy’s thunder the last few years, and they’re no longer the lead dog in terms of top-to-bottom academy talent. That said, the Galaxy’s coaching staff is second to none, the teams generally engender a fluid pass-and-move style and it continues to move Homegrowns through a USL pipeline that just produced its new senior team head coach. In many ways, this is the model.

1. FC Dallas
Top product: M Kellyn Acosta
Top current player: F Jesus Ferreira

Perhaps the true measure of FCD’s current unquestioned stay atop the American academy heap was the reaction after they pulled off the unthinkable in 2016. After sweeping the U16 and U18 national titles - something no team had ever done - nobody was all that surprised, so good were both teams. FCD went into academy overdrive this offseason, reeling in an unprecedented 18th Homegrown signing. Not all panned out (the nature of the beast), but arguably nobody on the continent has a more holistic approach to its own development pipeline. FCD doesn’t just pay lip service to their talent pool. They play them early, often and at every level. The question isn’t so much whether anyone is currently challenging FCD. In truth the club is in a class of its own at the moment, even though it could desperately use a USL team to house all these Homegrowns in the interim. The broader question is who can match the pace. Because right now FCD is setting it.

Meier

Two former Man City youth players (sort of in name only -- brought in through their agreement with the Right to Dream Academy in Ghana, unable to get work permits so loaned out to Nordic teams), Mohamed Abu (Columbus Crew) and Nana (Colorado) signed in the past two days. Another (Dominic Oduro) was signed by Seattle in the SuperDraft.

Arials

Zelalem's loan to 2nd tier VVV Venlo in Holland is confirmed. It's a step down from his Rangers loan last year.

It's a smaller club but in a higher quality league than the Scottish 2nd division.

I think the BVB stuff was 90% talk from Zelalem's agent to drum up interest and try and pressure Arsenal in to offering a bigger contract.

Arials

I'm not terribly worried. He has young children, he's happy in Toronto, both professionally and personally.

On the contrary, he seems like exactly the kind of player who oculd have his head turned by China. He's a player who has uprooted himself from his home town club playing in a top tier league to move to a lower quality league because the lower quality league offered loads of money...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
On the contrary, he seems like exactly the kind of player who oculd have his head turned by China. He's a player who has uprooted himself from his home town club playing in a top tier league to move to a lower quality league because the lower quality league offered loads of money...

He wasn't exactly getting a lot of playing time at his old club, if he were I doubt Toronto could have pulled him.

Revs use TAM to sign Slovenia CB Antonio Mlinar Delamea on transfer from Olimpija Ljubljana.

2nd CB signing should be announced later this week.

- ESPNFC: With World Cup qualification at stake, U.S. still seek development answers
The slow pace with which young players have staked their claim to spots with the full team leads to questions about how effectively the development system is preparing players to be professionals. There seems to be near-universal agreement that more can be done to find more playing opportunities for players between ages 18 and 21.

Some hitherto promising U.S. players in that age bracket have fallen through the cracks. With their youth careers at an end, the transition to the pro game can be difficult, and minutes hard to come by. College is an option, but with a compressed season, it can only do so much. While the advent of MLS reserve teams playing in the United Soccer League is a step forward, it's still not enough.

"When you look around South America, Europe, the big nations are training their younger players day in and day out, getting opportunities to play with men in competitive games," said New York City FC sporting director Claudio Reyna. "A lot of effort has been made with the USL -- it's in the second tier now -- and to get players in environments where there's more pressure. But for me, that's my main theory on it. Our players are in too much of an environment where they're not under pressure."

"A 19-year-old player in Monaco is already cared for and catered to as a professional," added former New York Red Bulls and AS Monaco executive Jerome de Bontin. "We always looked at them as important investments. A 19-year-old in MLS is asked to show up for practice and then ignored the rest of the week. He's not nurtured half as much as at UCLA or New Mexico or Indiana. We've not reached a stage yet where we have a professional environment that really caters to players in that age group, 19-21, who aspire to becoming professional. I still believe the vast majority of them are much better off going to those top-20 programs in college than going into these semipro environments that MLS or USL provide."
More via the link.

Jorge Villafana has been called into the USMNT camp. Sounds like he might also be angling for an MLS move since he's out of favor in Liga MX. He'd be subject to the allocation list, iirc.

Top Bottom