• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

RBH

C3Hr7ayXgAAVruv.jpg

Atlanta United today announced it has signed goalkeeper Brad Guzan to a multi-year contract via Major League Soccer’s Allocation Process, using Targeted Allocation Money. Courtesy of the MLS Expansion Priority Draft, Atlanta United held the No. 1 spot in the Allocation Ranking Order and exercised that spot to acquire Guzan, who was designated under the league’s 2017 Allocation Ranking List. Guzan, currently contracted with Middlesbrough of the English Premier League, will be added to the club’s roster upon the opening of the Secondary Transfer Window (July 10), pending receipt of his ITC.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
At least he's not coming until the summer. Opening day to Guzan's arrival seems to be the best stretch to get wins against that team. If they can get that squad working together I wouldn't sleep on them making the play-offs.

RBH

1006%20MLS%20Bowl_01.jpg

Atlanta United has sold more than 27,000 season tickets with 5 1/2 weeks remaining before the season-opening game against New York Red Bulls at Georgia Tech’s Bobby Dodd Stadium.

Club President Darren Eales revealed the total during an expansive interview on Thursday at IMG Academy, where the team is holding preseason training.

The total places Atlanta United second behind reigning MLS Cup holder Seattle in sales. The league’s average attendance for its 20 teams in 2016 was 21,692.

Eales said they will likely cap season tickets at 30,000 and that decision will be made within the next two weeks.
Those who wish to purchase after the cap is reached will be offered partial season ticket, or game packages.

Eales that there are approximately 9,000 members of the Founder’s Club, of which 77 percent have purchased season tickets.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium will have a capacity of 40,000 for most soccer games, according to Eales. That means that the lower bowl and mezzanines will be open and that the drapes will be used for the upper bowl. There are some games that Eales predicts will surpass 40,000, which will necessitate opening the upper bowl.

Eales revealed several interesting aspects of the season-ticket sales:

-In the Supporters Section, located behind one of the goals, more than 3,500 of the 5,000 available seats have been sold. The two reserve sections have sold out.
-Of the 16 club options, 14 have sold out.
-22 of the 36 sections in the lower bowl have sold out.

Atlanta United revealed in August that it had surpassed 22,000 season tickets sold. Eales said the club has seen several spikes in sales, including the hiring of Gerardo Martino in September, the release of the league schedule two weeks ago, and the SuperDraft, also two weeks ago.

“If you look at history of every club, there is a five-week run up to the first game,” Eales said. “The exciting thing for us is how high can the bar can be? We still have 5 1/2 weeks, still have player announcements, the second kit launch…”
http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-united-surpasses-000-season-tickets-sold/q8w42IGxFNWrFYtiYIMMtL/

Meier

Sad to see Molino go but sometimes it happens. A little bit nervous about how we'll replace his goals and assists especially after losing the Beast as well.

Dartastic

Looks like the Timbers are about to get Blanco. Wew, boys. We gonna be competing again this year.

Nagbe --- Adi --- Blanco

Valeri -- Guzman -- Chara

Vytas - ridgewell - arokoyo - Powell

or

----------------Adi

Nagbe --- Valeri --- Blanco

--------- Guzman -- Chara

Vytas - ridgewell - arokoyo - Powell

Fuck. FUUUUCK.

Cystm

Stejskal: Where's Mix?

Midfielder Mix Diskerud was not among the list of 28 names released by the club. ...Diskerud's exclusion from camp isn't exactly a surprise.

According to multiple sources at other clubs, NYCFC have tried to trade Diskerud, but two factors – his high salary and his apparent unwillingness to move elsewhere in the league – have prevented talks from seriously progressing.

Diskerud's salary, pegged at $761,250 in 2016 by the MLS Players' Union, is the biggest hurdle. Other MLS clubs don't value Diskerud at that number, and don't want to use a Designated Player spot on him or spend the significant amount of allocation money it'd take to buy his salary budget charge down under the DP threshold, which is what New York did in the previous two seasons.

Sources indicated that, barring something unforeseen, Diskerud will likely be sold or loaned outside of MLS. Norway, where Diskerud was born and raised and where he played until joining NYCFC ahead of the 2015 season, would seem a natural destination.

He wants to stay in New York, but doesn't want to come down in price. Mix coming to MLS was really the worst decision of his career

Cystm

Arena Selects Final 23-Player MNT Roster for Serbia Match on Jan. 29 in San Diego

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION:
GOALKEEPERS (3): David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)

DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Unattached), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Greg Garza (Atlanta United FC), Chad Marshall (Seattle Sounders FC), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna, MEX), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Jermaine Jones (LA Galaxy), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union)

FORWARDS (3): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC)

Five players were released back to their clubs: Taylor Kemp, Keegan Rosenberry, Brian Rowe, Wil Trapp, and Chris Wondolowski. In addition, LA Galaxy striker Gyasi Zardes has a minor contusion in his right knee and will not travel.

sw26

Quick question if you don't mind fellas, I'm from the UK but am heading over to New York in late August for a week's holiday, and notice NY City have a home game on while I'm there and thought I'd take a look.

How does the ticketing work in the US in terms of sale dates etc? I notice there are tickets available on Stubhub already for games that far in advance but the club site says individual match tickets aren't available yet, so what's the deal here?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Dartastic

Quick question if you don't mind fellas, I'm from the UK but am heading over to New York in late August for a week's holiday, and notice NY City have a home game on while I'm there and thought I'd take a look.

How does the ticketing work in the US in terms of sale dates etc? I notice there are tickets available on Stubhub already for games that far in advance but the club site says individual match tickets aren't available yet, so what's the deal here?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure sales for individual games haven't gone on sale yet. I don't know what NYCFC or the Red Bull attendance is like, but I assume it'll be possible to just buy tickets for those teams easily. If you were headed to Portland however, it'd be a different story. I'd just wait for when the tickets go on sale officially.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Looks like a good 23. Let's see what the starting 11 looks like.

I'm pretty sure sales for individual games haven't gone on sale yet. I don't know what NYCFC or the Red Bull attendance is like, but I assume it'll be possible to just buy tickets for those teams easily. If you were headed to Portland however, it'd be a different story. I'd just wait for when the tickets go on sale officially.

Tickets should be easy to come by so long as you're not trying to go to the Hudson Derby or a NYRB vs DC game.

sw26

Will do thanks.

US-Serbia is at 1pm PT from San Diego this afternoon. TV coverage on ESPN2

Roster:

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION:
GOALKEEPERS (3): David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)

DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Unattached), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Greg Garza (Atlanta United FC), Chad Marshall (Seattle Sounders FC), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna, MEX), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Jermaine Jones (LA Galaxy), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union)

FORWARDS (3): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC)
Guess I go with....

Bingham
Zusi-Birnbaum-Zimmerman-Garza
Bradley-Jones-Kljestan
Morris-Altidore-Nagbe

Or something like that. Fullback options are sparse. :/ Sounds like they're looking at a 4-3-3 right now, but I'm not sure who Arena is looking at on the wings. I might put Bedoya in for Jones if he isn't fit. Arena has said some nice things about Agudelo this week, so maybe he gets a start.

there better be some kind of statement because the US team represents EVERYONE, the downtrodden, the refugees, the needy, the poor, everyone from all walks of life.

if we get nothing we need to make it known to Sunil Gulati et. al. that they too need to make a fucking stand.

Lineup

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
#usmnt starting XI vs. Serbia: Rimando; Garza, Marshall, Birnbaum, Zusi; Bradley, Jones; Nagbe, Kljestan, Bedoya; Altidore

So a 4-2-3-1? This is going to be interesting to watch, throw Pulisic in where Bedoya is and that could be a good attacking quartet.

EDIT: Gomez saying Howard should have just named names (which I assume he means Chandler)

The Bradley-Jones double pivot is always questionable, but hopefully Arena got that sorted out. Otherwise the 4-2-3-1 should work fine. Another question is what you do with Wood once he's available. Arena seemed to think they'd just stick to a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 so I'm not sure if there is space for him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Bradley-Jones double pivot is always questionable, but hopefully Arena got that sorted out. Otherwise the 4-2-3-1 should work fine. Another question is what you do with Wood once he's available. Arena seemed to think they'd just stick to a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 so I'm not sure if there is space for him.

I think that Bradley-Jones thing could be done if Bradley just stays back as a pure 6 and lets Jones roam. He's going to do it anyway so may as well just stay back and hold down the fort.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
OK, we definitely need a Nagbe-Sacha-Pulisic midfield. If we don't at least try that at some point then Arena needs new eyeballs.

Cystm

Geez, this thread.

MLS to make special announcement in Chicago on Tuesday.

Major League Soccer will make a special announcement at a press conference that will be held on Tuesday, January 31 at Soldier Field in Chicago.

The event will be streamed live on MLSsoccer.com at 2:30 pm ET / 1:30 pm CT with a list of attendees that includes:

MLS Commissioner Don Garber
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel
Chicago Fire owner and chairman Andrew Hauptman
Target VP of Marketing William White
Chicago Park District CEO Michael Kelly
Chicago Sports Commissioner Exec. Dir. Kara Bachman

In a perfect world: Stadium site located and approved in downtown Chicago And/or Hauptman announces his sale of the team.

We are probably announcing the signing of Schweinsteiger and Emanuel is there to play up to the German immigrant population, blah, blah, blah.

Cystm

So what was the announcement?

The announcement is the All-Star game is being held in Chicago, but Don would not stop babbling (They all are tbh, the Target rep just said "I have to say, though, it doesn't feel like Target chose soccer, but that soccer chose Target.") so I bailed before finding out if they also announced the opponent.

Waiting for the MLSSoccer.com news post.

Edit:

I feel like the only reason there's an all-star game is it's expected since MLS is in the US.

Which is fine, but it'd be less embarrassing if it was MLS all stars vs like, NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL all stars playing soccer for some reason, or like, fans who won a contest to play against the pros, or retired MLS players or something

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Which is fine, but it'd be less embarrassing if it was MLS all stars vs like, NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL all stars playing soccer for some reason, or like, fans who won a contest to play against the pros, or retired MLS players or something

Or like East vs West. That'd be fine too.

Though, personally I'd rather the whole thing just go away.

Cystm

I'd be down with East vs West again. They always have enough players there to do it.

Trouble in Sacramento:

- Deadspin: Sacramento's MLS Bid Possibly Derailed By Last-Second Ownership Coup

Really gross if Deadspin's information is completely accurate. I can't see MLS wanting to pursue with them if that is the case. They know already that you can't sustain a team without a core group of supporters. The way they've approached things since Philly seems to indicate as much to me, anyway.

Top Bottom