• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Well maybe we're not as good as our Honduras game led me to believe :(

You're only as good as your weakest link.

Zusi is a poor right back and Jones and Bradley are old midfielders that are poor at setting up plays.

Panama's defense is good. So the USA needed to keep that 1 goal lead. Not focusing enough on defense bit em in the ass.

Mory Dunz

Well maybe we're not as good as our Honduras game led me to believe :(

Basing an opinion off one game would be flawed anyway.

But at this point, we're playing B/B+ team it feels like. So many injuries.
Johnson
Brooks
Lleget (not an automatic starter but I'd take him over Jones so yea)
Cameron
Wood

That's half your outfield there
Then Morris who would be a sub

edit:
looking at these highlights the eff Zusi....

Cystm

Bocanegra is covering the match for BeIN and he has been really good with the analysis on the Honduras match and then at the half breaking down our defensive mistakes.

NoRéN

This is reminiscent of the game against Belgium. The only reason USA is still in it is for lack of finishing by the opposition.

Mory Dunz

NoRéN;232958609 said:
No. Not at all. Panama has had plenty of chances and they either fuck the final touch or shoot straight at Howard. Same thing that happened in Brazil.

This game has gone both ways with Panama playing better.

Belgium was an onslaught. With clear cut challenges and maybe should've been 6-1. This isn't that.

Eff, nagbe was having a great game too. Was he gassed or something

How many teams from CONCACAF can go to the WC again?

3 or 4. The 4th team goes on a repechage against an Asian team. That's how Mexico qualified in 2014.

SPI said the US has a 50/50 shot of making it if we tied this game. Remember the US still has to play at Azteca, and we only won there once.

Top 3 go for sure, 4th can go as well via a playoff. Lots of games left (including 2 vs T&T), we shouldn't be too concerned.

Speak for yourself. We are in the same position Argentina is in right now on CONMEBOL. Maybe a better position than the Netherlands are in UEFA. There's a good shot we won't make it to Russia.

3 or 4. The 4th team goes on a repechage against an Asian team. That's how Mexico qualified in 2014.

SPI said the US has a 50/50 shot of making it if we tied this game. Remember the US still has to play at Azteca, and we only won there once.

Speak for yourself. We are in the same position Argentina is in right now on CONMEBOL. Maybe a better position than the Netherlands are in UEFA. There's a good shot we won't make it to Russia.

They played an Oceania team (New Zealand). An Asian team would be much tougher. If we have to play North Korea for a spot that would be epic

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They played an Oceania team (New Zealand). An Asian team would be much tougher. If we have to play North Korea for a spot that would be epic

North Korea would be hilarious. Odds are it'd be like Cuba only instead of half the team defecting the second they touch down it'll be the whole team.

ZZMitch

Speak for yourself. We are in the same position Argentina is in right now on CONMEBOL. Maybe a better position than the Netherlands are in UEFA. There's a good shot we won't make it to Russians​.

Uh according to SPI USA now has an 82% chance to qualify. Which is funny since we started the hex with an 83% chance. Guess nothing major happened in the last few months haha

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Uh according to SPI USA now has an 82% chance to qualify. Which is funny since we started the hex with an 83% chance. Guess nothing major happened in the last few months haha

We're about where we would be points-wise normally, assuming no points from away games. Assuming we win the rest of our home games and can manage points in some of the away games, we should make it through.

CONCACAF play off is against AFC this year, for some reason.
CONMEBOL play off will be against OFC.
They keep rotating each time the confeds that will play each other for play off WC spots. I remmeber Costa Rica choking in the last second vs Uruguay in a playoff for 2010 where the South Americans ended up in a surprising 3rd (or was it 4th?) place in that WC.

We still looked better than in the Klinsi-era, but that definitely wasn't our best lineup out there. Zusi had no business being out there.

Btw, where is Yedlin? He's had a solid season for Newcastle in the championship. I definitely would have preferred having Yedlin out there instead of Zusi. Heck, old man Beasley would have been better than Zusi.

Btw, where is Yedlin? He's had a solid season for Newcastle in the championship. I definitely would have preferred having Yedlin out there instead of Zusi. Heck, old man Beasley would have been better than Zusi.
Yedlin is injured. He's locked in as the starter if healthy. The fullback situation was awful this time around with Yedlin, Johnson, Lichaj, and now Cameron injured. Zusi was the emergency replacement.

Cystm

@PaulTenorio

Mike Petke will be announced as Real Salt Lake head coach tomorrow, according to two sources with knowledge of the search. #MLS #RSL

3GE8bmc.png
3GE8bmc.png
3GE8bmc.png

Cystm

Good fucking lord, that shit is so cringe. Ughughuguhugh.

Edit:
A reporter asks if Bastian is still striving to play for Germany.
Bastian: "My country? but I've already retired."

WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS?

Azuran

Banned
They keep rotating each time the confeds that will play each other for play off WC spots. I remmeber Costa Rica choking in the last second vs Uruguay in a playoff for 2010 where the South Americans ended up in a surprising 3rd (or was it 4th?) place in that WC.

There's no rotation. Intercontinental playoffs were decided by a draw the last two times.

gutshot

CONCACAF getting 6 World Cup spots beginning with the 2026 World Cup.

@richard_conway
Breaking: Fifa announce continental allocation of slots for 2026 World Cup:
AFC: 8
CAF: 9
CONCACAF: 6
CONMEBOL: 6
OFC: 1
UEFA: 16

RIP Hex

Top Bottom