• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

- MLS Analyst: The case for a USMNT midfield without Jermaine Jones
There's a strong case to be made for a reduced role for Jones under Bruce Arena. I think, in the process, we'll see the US move away from the flat 4-4-2 they tried against Panama and toward a 4-3-1-2 with Christian Pulisic as the "1" and Michael Bradley – for now – in the middle of the "3" line as the defensive midfielder.

Who are the shuttlers, the wide midfielders on the "3" line? Darlington Nagbe for one, and Alejandro Bedoya for another. Kellyn Acosta can certainly play that role, and I thought it was symbolic when he replaced Jones with 15 minutes left against Los Canaleros. A healthy Sebastian Lletget has a spot there as well, as should Danny Williams even though he's really more of a No. 6. Fabian Johnson is more of a true wide player who'd bring a different look to the spot. Alfredo Morales plays a similar role in the Bundesliga, and Cristian Roldan is a guy that Arena's mentioned as a possible Gold Cup call-up. Lynden Gooch might end up playing as more of a No. 8.

It's too early for the Tyler Adams hype train, even though he was born for this role. But if he plays well at the U-20 World Cup in May you'll definitely hear his name mentioned, and it won't be inappropriate.

Regardless, in years past the argument could've been made that the US were at a point, talent-wise, where Jones was essential. I'll make the argument that he's become detrimental, and the time has come for a change.
More via the link.

So pretty much any idiot can get through the Hex now.

Yeah I figured this was going to happen when they expanded to 48 teams.

I understand the Word Cup expands every couple of decades over the last half-century. But every expansion added about 8 additional teams. 16-24-32... The World Cup should be expanding to 40 in 2026. Adding 16 additional slots is excessive and we're going to see some embarrassing blow-outs in the World Cup and qualifying wouldn't be nearly as intense.

Then again... if I was from a country that hardly ever qualifies for the World Cup, then maybe I would be jumping for joy. Expanding the World Cup slots does give more players from around the world more exposure to play in European leagues, which does have a trickle down effect for the country. After Cameron shocked the world in the '90 WC, Africa gained more WC slots when it expanded to 32, and since then many African players have made successful careers in Europe. While African teams have under-performed in the WC results-wise, they've fielded some very strong teams over the years.

I could definitely see CONCACAF and AFC players benefiting down the line from this WC expansion. Costa Rica had a great run last WC and Japan & S. Korea are always a wildcard. That said, I can see CONCACAF of the 6 slots, fielding 3-4 decent/strong teams and 2 toss-up teams. But AFC... 8 teams? So we would have Best Korea, Worst Korea, Japan, Australia, Iran, China, and....?

Very vague rumor floating this morning that Vieira is headed back to Arsenal this Summer.

Matches this weekend, including two tonight:
Toronto FC vs. Sporting Kansas City
Friday, 7:30 pm ET | FS1 in the US, TSN4 in Canada

Seattle Sounders vs. Atlanta United FC
Friday, 10:00 pm ET | FS1 in the US

New York City FC vs. San Jose Earthquakes
Saturday, 2:00 pm ET | MLS LIVE

Chicago Fire vs. Montreal Impact
Saturday, 3:00 pm ET | MLS LIVE in the US, CTV, TVA Sports, TSN5 in Canada

Columbus Crew SC vs. Orlando City SC
Saturday, 4:00 pm ET | Facebook Live, UniMás in the US, MLS LIVE in Canada

D.C. United vs. Philadelphia Union
Saturday, 7:00 pm ET | MLS LIVE

Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake
Saturday, 8:00 pm ET | MLS LIVE

Houston Dynamo vs. New York Red Bulls
Saturday, 8:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE

Vancouver Whitecaps vs. LA Galaxy
Saturday, 10:00 pm ET | TSN1 in Canada, MLS LIVE in the US

Portland Timbers vs. New England Revolution
Sunday, 9:00 pm ET | ESPN2 in the US, MLS LIVE in Canada

In other news, Quakes centerback Harold Cummings managed to break his leg in a 'home accident' before making an appearance for the club. Such crappy injury luck of late. :(

Icolin

Banned
Very vague rumor floating this morning that Vieira is headed back to Arsenal this Summer.

Matches this weekend, including two tonight:

In other news, Quakes centerback Harold Cummings managed to break his leg in a 'home accident' before making an appearance for the club. Such crappy injury luck of late. :(
Seattle v Atlanta is a must watch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Minnesota United trades Mohammed Saeid and Josh Gatt to Colorado for Sam Cronin and Marc Burch.

That's exactly what they needed in central defense. I still think they need a better defensive mid, but from the look of it this should be enough to stop the sinking.

Meier

So... NYC is going to close Rikers Island. I see on wikipedia there are buses to there but it doesn't look like a subway. I wonder if it's a viable location for a soccer stadium...?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So... NYC is going to close Rikers Island. I see on wikipedia there are buses to there but it doesn't look like a subway. I wonder if it's a viable location for a soccer stadium...?

Not unless they're going to be building multiple bridges and ferries there. I couldn't even imagine the traffic on gameday, it'd be insane. Also god knows how long it would be until such a place could be opened. NYCFC would have to have more money than sense to try.

RBH

C8Q3sCpUMAAlvzV.jpg

Meier

Not unless they're going to be building multiple bridges and ferries there. I couldn't even imagine the traffic on gameday, it'd be insane. Also god knows how long it would be until such a place could be opened. NYCFC would have to have more money than sense to try.

Yeah, I just noticed the one bridge. That would be hellacious trying to get out of there. Or even get there for that matter. It's a shame because the location seems decent and there's certainly enough room to build on it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, I just noticed the one bridge. That would be hellacious trying to get out of there. Or even get there for that matter. It's a shame because the location seems decent and there's certainly enough room to build on it.

It'd take years to tear down the prison, then even more to build a stadium. And that's all assuming the City or State isn't going to look to re-purpose the facility for something else. It'd be a good spot if there was more ways to get into it, but that sort of infrastructure would take years to build and the City ain't likely to spend money helping NYCFC make it a viable stadium spot.

Cystm

A lot of empty seats for the home opener. Cold AF and raining? That stinks

Edit: Nah it's filling in.

Edit2: What was that music? hahaha

Cystm

When your instinct tells you at the last second switch out Alex for Osorio

giphy.gif

Edit: Oh, right and Seba for Deuce.
Fuuuuuck.

RBH

Hard fought draw for Atlanta.

Definitely could've lost it on more than a few occasions in the second half.

All things considered, I'll definitely take it.

Yeah, that was a cold, wet night. Too bad Osorio can't score. Seba needs to stop whining and start playing. I hope Irwin is okay, but that's karma to Vanney for playing him in the first place. Bono should've started. Raheem Edwards was great, as was Bradley. Moor had a bad night, sadly.

Overall, could've been worse. Unbeaten in 4.

Cystm

Slow news day for me. The international break is a double edged sword.

Deuce at least had some tekkers, but zZZzzZZz and goofy ass CB Hagglund making people look foolish!

lol.

Please be better tomorrow.

Cystm

Senior moment from Pirlo. Yikes. He had a few, actually.

Toyota Park is half empty.

Nice sunny day with Basti debuting.

Pitiful.

Top Bottom