• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

I missed this yesterday: Video Review set to be introduced in MLS competition beginning August 5
Video Review is almost here.

Major League Soccer announced on Thursday that Video Review will officially be implemented in all league competition beginning with the full slate of MLS Week 22 matches on the weekend of August 5-6. All remaining 2017 MLS regular season matches, the Audi 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs and MLS Cup will feature Video Review.

A Video Assistant Referee (VAR), the new fifth member of the officiating crew, will be located in a booth at each MLS stadium with access to all available broadcast replays. The VAR will be able to alert the head referee to potential clear and obvious errors or serious missed incidents in four game-changing situations: (1) goals, (2) penalty kicks, (3) straight red cards and (4) cases of mistaken identity. These are the only reviewable plays in a match.

RBH

Starting now:

DFSrlmLU0AAYaBd.jpg:large

Icolin

Banned
What a finish by Villa.

Edit: this game is really weird. NYCFC score a second right after, and then Chicago cuts the lead in half. 2-1 for NYCFC.

Askani

As an SKC fan...

1. Beckerman's suspension was a joke.

2. He's absolutely right about the hand to the throat thing. That was ridiculous. I just was waiting for the inevitable suspension news that never came.

3. As for the headlock thing, I wasn't watching then so I have no comment.

4. I feel like it's part awesome commentary that needs to be said, and part unprofessional temper tantrum. I'm leaning more towards awesome commentary. We need more ref consistency... badly. But regardless, I love fired up Petke.

The Earthquakes haved signed Swiss Defender Francois Affolter from Luzern in the Swiss League.

Was teammates with Hyka at Luzern, has 5 caps for the Swiss national team. Younger than most of the CBs San Jose currently has. Seems like a really good signing. Has Fioranelli written all over it.
I'm pretty happy with the move. The Quakes definitely need help there and he fits the profile they're looking for. Quakes are spending a lot of money on aging defenders that need to go at some point (Bernardez, Wynne), and they have to revamp some of the backline at some point.

Good stuff. MLS needs more of this.
Makes no sense unless Orlando is about to sell Larin for the big bucks.
It's been rumored that there are a bunch of European teams sniffing around him for a while.

Icolin

Banned
Thank god it's over. Great game from Portland. What a gutsy and brilliant road performance.

Also, that shit after the game from Robbo was insulting and embarrassing. Grow the fuck up man.

Dartastic

Thank god it's over. Great game from Portland. What a gutsy and brilliant road performance.

Also, that shit after the game from Robbo was insulting and embarrassing. Grow the fuck up man.
Whoa. We won. I can't believe it.

And yeah it was lame. But wow. We won.

- SBI: Report: MLS rejected $4 billion rights deal involving pro/rel from Miami FC owner
Big-spending Miami FC owner Riccardo Silva won’t be owning a team in MLS any time soon, he has reportedly put together a multi-billion dollar offer for the league’s global and domestic media rights. An offer that MLS rejected.

According to the Sports Business Journal, Silva offered MLS a deal worth $4 billion surrounding the league’s domestic and global media rights. The proposal would’ve been for 10 years and it would’ve given Silva’s company the rights to distribute the league’s media rights worldwide. It was also contingent on the fact that MLS moves to promotion/relegation.

The proposed deal would have run for 10 years starting in 2023, after the league’s current contract with ESPN, Fox and Univision concluded.

MLS executive vice president of communications Dan Courtemanche told ESPN FC that the league is not interested with engaging in talks with Silva and his partners, and is more importantly unable to do so contractually.

“As was stated to Mr. Silva both in person and in a subsequent letter, Major League Soccer is prohibited contractually from engaging in discussions about our media rights with other distributors,” Courtemanche said. “We are not in a position, nor are we interested, in engaging with Mr. Silva on his proposal.”

Silva’s intentions cover many areas as his company would prosper from the proposed deal and it would’ve opened the door for Miami FC to have a chance at securing a spot in MLS. Currently, MLS is involved with David Beckham’s project to bring an expansion team to MLS.

Top Bottom