• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

cbox

Yasae said:
One of the developers is going to test an X-series.

The problems are major in effect, but the crashes happen on very simple tasks like opening inventory. This along with the image trails post-processing are basically the only two things which keep the game from running on X-series cards. It's a very short list, not a bug hunt.

hmm strange, the game loads up fine and even the intro screen with the engine running in the BG runs flawlessly. Once I start a game the screen goes black and the audio plays, but that's it.

Spookie

Oh man some of the effects when you're going nuts are genius.

I walk in to a well lit room looking for an item. I glance at a portrait. The character inside it looks kind of odd but I think nothing of it. I come back after my sanity drops a level and the painting now has no eyes and a melted face. I freak out. :(

Though when you REALLY go bat shit insane and
your controls go all sluggish is pissing me off a bit. Though it really forces you to plod on. If you don't things get much worse!

Zeliard

I could play this right now, since I'm off work early, but I'm waiting for tonight because I want to play this in pitch-black darkness, with some headphones on, and giving it my full attention.

That review from John Walker @ RPS is a really fantastic read, btw. I love the sorts of games that evoke those types of intensely personal reviews.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I played the demo for about 30 minutes last night. This game ('virtual experience' would probably be more accurate) is absolutely terrifying. I think I'll buy it, but I'm not sure I can handle it in long doses.

Zeliard

Zefah said:
I played the demo for about 30 minutes last night. This game ('virtual experience' would probably be more accurate) is absolutely terrifying. I think I'll buy it, but I'm not sure I can handle it in long doses.

Sounds like Joey Merrick has the right idea, supplementing this game with more light-hearted fare like Sam & Max. :p

Tim-E

Zefah said:

You can say it, it's okay.

Video game.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Holy shit at
the water sequence

Also, holy shit at the sound design.

Dude, I need a pause. This is wearing me out.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Ceebs said:
I am forcing myself to wait until it's dark to play. If I am going to soil my pants, I may as well do it right.
I'm not sure I'll be able to hold myself back once I get home from work.

I keep telling myself I'll go to the gym, take a shower, eat dinner, and get settled first... but I feel like I'm going to get home and not be able to help myself.

Zeliard

BobsRevenge said:
I'm not sure I'll be able to hold myself back once I get home from work.

I keep telling myself I'll go to the gym, take a shower, eat dinner, and get settled first... but I feel like I'm going to get home and not be able to help myself.

The shower should wait until after you've soiled yourself.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Anyone have a sense of how long it is? I just got into the Refinery. So far nothing crazy has happened, but it is unnerving.

Nemic77

Just had the most ridiculous reaction to a monster chase ever. Thank god I was alone while playing... :lol

Saw him at the end of a corridor while I had my lamp out, but I wasn't quick enough to put it out so he saw me pretty quickly. I started sprinting down the corridor back from where I came. ...When I thought I had lost him, I casually turn back to close a door, and the monster was right in my face!

I guess I was just too sure that the AI in this game wouldnt follow the player for so long, but this has never happened to me in a game before. I actually let out a whimper or whatever, dropped the mouse and distanced myself from the monitor. :lol

I think this was the worst scare I've ever had in a video game since Condemned: Criminal Origins... Thing is, this one wasn't scripted!

Awesome game so far, can't wait for the Devs to release the Level Editor!

Zeliard

It's funny, I remember being in a discussion on here not too long ago about the potential for a true Lovecraft game. Discussion centered mainly on the notion that in the Lovecraft universe, some of the monsters and such are so existentially horrific that even looking at them makes certain characters go insane, and how that could work gameplay-wise.

While Frictional has clearly cribbed that concept from Lovecraft for this game, they've also apparently made it work perfectly from a mechanic, visual and audio standpoint, and so I'd really love to see them tackle a Lovecraft Mythos game and pretty much just transfer that same gameplay mechanic over. They've already successfully achieved the hardest part of doing that sort of game.

BobsRevenge

Zeliard said:
It's funny, I remember being in a discussion on here not too long ago about the potential for a true Lovecraft game. Discussion centered mainly on the notion that in the Lovecraft universe, some of the monsters and such are so existentially horrific that even looking at them makes certain characters go insane, and how that could work gameplay-wise.

While Frictional has clearly cribbed that concept from Lovecraft for this game, they've also apparently made it work perfectly from a mechanic, visual and audio standpoint, and so I'd really love to see them tackle a Lovecraft Mythos game and pretty much just transfer that same gameplay mechanic over. They've already successfully achieved the hardest part of doing that sort of game.
Dark Corners of the Earth kind of was that, but I think it really could've been done better at it. I think Frictional could definitely hit that kind of experience with a better gameplay angle. DCotE felt too gamey for the material.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zeliard said:

The game is already Lovecraftian as far as I'm concerned.

Zeliard

BobsRevenge said:
Dark Corners of the Earth kind of was that, but I think it really could've been done better at it. I think Frictional could definitely hit that kind of experience with a better gameplay angle. DCotE felt too gamey for the material.

Dark Corners was a solid effort but a lot of parts did feel too artificial, or gamey as you put it. Lovecraft's bigger creatures ended up serving as large boss monsters, so it lost something there. I think this game seems much more in the Lovecraftian spirit, where you truly cannot fight these things no matter what you do (as far as I can tell), and can't even look at them.

I can't really speak personally to how well Frictional does it here till I play it later tonight, but from what I can tell from various impressions, they've truly nailed it. The environmental interactivity certainly has to play a part since it keeps you grounded in that world, which potentially just adds to the terror.

Plus the whole dilemma with you also losing sanity when you're in the darkness, but the darkness being the only thing that can keep you safe from the monsters - harsh, and excellent. The whole sanity mechanic in this makes a lot of actual sense. You apparently regain sanity by solving puzzles as well, which also makes logical sense.

John Walker's review noted that some preview build of this game had your character drinking "sanity potions" or whatever to regain sanity. So glad they didn't go that route.

HK-47 said:
The game is already Lovecraftian as far as I'm concerned.

Oh it definitely is, but I think it could be neat to see it set in Lovecraft's universe, with his particular beasts.

Already nearly had a heart-attack with this game. This is coming from someone who has never been scared by a movie, and the only scares I've got from games were cheap monster closets.

Vaporak

Well, I'm already stumped on one of the first "puzzles" :/
I can't find the wine celler key, I swear I've looked everywhere I can.

Yasae

Banned
eternal prize said:
hmm strange, the game loads up fine and even the intro screen with the engine running in the BG runs flawlessly. Once I start a game the screen goes black and the audio plays, but that's it.
Exactly, it's not a performance issue at all. Turning off Image Trails in the advanced graphics options (from the game, not the launcher) allows you to get past the out-of-sync/black screen opening. However, the game immediately crashes upon opening inventory or game options, so if you press escape or tab while in the demo, you'll crash. There is one section that requires the inventory screen to be open to progress. Thus the demo is unplayable on X-series cards for the moment.

I imagine they'll develop a quick fix. Again, this isn't a myriad of problems, and the game plays fine on cards even older than ours. I think Thomas developed Amnesia using a 9600 IIRC. This is also a huge range of cards not to support:

ATI Radeon X300 Series
ATI Radeon X550 Series
ATI Radeon X600 Series
ATI Radeon X700 Series
ATI Radeon X800 Series
ATI Radeon X850 Series
ATI Radeon X1050 Series
ATI Radeon X1300 Series
ATI Radeon X1550 Series
ATI Radeon X1600 Series
ATI Radeon X1650 Series
ATI Radeon X1800 Series
ATI Radeon X1900 Series
ATI Radeon Xpress Series
ATI Radeon X1200 Series
ATI Radeon X1250 Series
ATI Radeon X2100 Series

Max

I am not Max
Vaporak said:
Well, I'm already stumped on one of the first "puzzles" :/
I can't find the wine celler key, I swear I've looked everywhere I can.
Are you in the small library?
Look for 3 grab-able books, pull them and the door will open the door to the room with the key

To get to said library:
You should see a crack in one of the walls, break it down with an object

Wow, dem sound effects on a 5.1 surround system. I though Condemned had the best sound effects in a game, but this takes it to a whole other level. The ambiance of wind, rain, thunder, whispering voices, random footsteps, all sorts of other crap I hope to not meet, etc. is pretty damn unnerving.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Eaten By A Grue said:
Wow, dem sound effects on a 5.1 sound system. I though Condemned had the best sound effects in a game, but this takes it to a whole other level. The ambiance of wind, rain, thunder, whispering voices, random footsteps, all sorts of other crap I hope to not meet, etc. is pretty damn unnerving.
To be honest, it's a tad over the top at places, but as long as one's okay with that, it's awesome :D

Zeliard

Eaten By A Grue said:
Wow, dem sound effects on a 5.1 sound system. I though Condemned had the best sound effects in a game, but this takes it to a whole other level. The ambiance of wind, rain, thunder, whispering voices, random footsteps, all sorts of other crap I hope to not meet, etc. is pretty damn unnerving.

My HD 595s are ready.

I see a lot of people saying they're using their key from the Frictional shop to register it on Steam, but Steam says my key is invalid. What am I doing wrong?

I downloaded half the game last night via their shop front but it slowed down to like 5kb/s so I gave up.

wormstrangler said:
I see a lot of people saying they're using their key from the Frictional shop to register it on Steam, but Steam says my key is invalid. What am I doing wrong?

I downloaded half the game last night via their shop front but it slowed down to like 5kb/s so I gave up.

Are you using the correct key? There are two listed. Just a suggestion, check into that.

I'm going to dive head first into this later. Probably a really dumb idea and will scare me senseless but I'm feeling saucy tonight, bitches! How is everyone liking it so far?

owlbeak

This game is amazing. I just realized I've been playing for two hours and didn't even realize it. It sucked me right in and has not let go. This is the first game since Silent Hill and System Shock 2 where I have been absolutely terrified of going around every corner and opening every door.

Not sure how long this game is supposed to be, but I don't want it to end.

Kind of some SPOILERS below. Be warned. Nothing major, though.

Currently, just made it to the refinery and am about to open the hatch where the demo ended. Had a bit of a rough patch from the Wine Cellar onward, not a lot of tinderboxes to be found (maybe I missed them) and my lamp ran out of oil. I was mostly running in the dark looking for window lights to regain sanity. If this was intentionally designed this way, kudos to Frictional because it was even more terrifying having to run through dark rooms with the occasional shadowy figure shambling around near you.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Horsebite said:
Kind of some SPOILERS below. Be warned. Nothing major, though.

Currently, just made it to the refinery and am about to open the hatch where the demo ended. Had a bit of a rough patch from the Wine Cellar onward, not a lot of tinderboxes to be found (maybe I missed them) and my lamp ran out of oil. I was mostly running in the dark looking for window lights to regain sanity. If this was intentionally designed this way, kudos to Frictional because it was even more terrifying having to run through dark rooms with the occasional shadowy figure shambling around near you.
There are a lot of tinderboxes around, they're often behind stuff you can move, like barrels, or hidden in the shelves

These little sword guys are my good luck tokens.

ZYB9Q.png

I sacrifice them to the fire whenever I can, I imagine they keep me safe, like the pendants in Legends of the Hidden Temple. :lol

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Are you using the correct key? There are two listed. Just a suggestion, check into that.

I'm going to dive head first into this later. Probably a really dumb idea and will scare me senseless but I'm feeling saucy tonight, bitches! How is everyone liking it so far?

I can only see one key in my email. Starts with a U and is 14 characters long. No numbers.

Had this preordered from ages ago, this game is making me shit my pants. Question though, I'm a gigantic wuss and have a tendency to go along at a snails pace and hide in the corner and cry when I hear freaky noises. As a result my Daniel is basically a gibbering mess all the time. I take it this is a bad thing? Any advice on the best way to manage sanity so I don't end up crawling around in a pile of bugs the entire game?

Also, light sources are so limited. :( Do I need to just man up and pick up the pace a bit?

Max

I am not Max
lorebringer said:
Had this preordered from ages ago, this game is making me shit my pants. Question though, I'm a gigantic wuss and have a tendency to go along at a snails pace and hide in the corner and cry when I hear freaky noises. As a result my Daniel is basically a gibbering mess all the time. I take it this is a bad thing? Any advice on the best way to manage sanity so I don't end up crawling around in a pile of bugs the entire game?

Also, light sources are so limited. :( Do I need to just man up and pick up the pace a bit?
Just stick to the light and use your lamp and tinderboxes when you have to. You can withstand a couple of minutes in the darkness if you take breaks near light once in awhile.

Home from work and downloading. Perfect time to get the game, when it is dark and I am home alone. Time to pop on the headphones and turn off the lights.

owlbeak

SPOILERS, do not read if you haven't been a decent way through the Storage room.

I was running through the storage area right after blowing the rocks up with the explosives. I was already spooked because of the fucking girl crying in the distance. Well, I open one door pigs are cut open dangling, yikes. I walk back out down the hall and at this point I had been using my lantern for a while and had forgotten to check my oil level. I open the next door and holy fuck I about pissed my pants because there's a creepy as fuck shambling guy standing right behind the door.

Well, just so happens I open the door, see this guy, piss my pants a bit, and immediately my oil burns out and BOOM, I'm in the dark with this guy running toward me. I just start running, I can't see anything but a distant candle back down the hall. I am running toward it and the music is pounding, I can hear the shambling whatever behind me screaming, his footsteps getting louder and louder and louder, I spin around to see how close he is and all I see is a mutilated face and an arm swinging down, BOOM dead.

Holy fuck........I quit immediately after that. Need to take a break. Heart is pounding. :lol

Now I remember what this game reminds me of, that old game made on the original Unreal engine. Clive Baker's Undying. Well it is sort of like it. I have been wracking my mind all night trying to remember it.

Edit: Now that I am watching videos of it, perhaps it is not like it. My memory has failed me.

Majeh

Some of the reactions you guys are having to the game are awesome. :D

Just got through the hatch into the water. Gonna come back after eating to play some more.

Zenith

Banned
Horsebite said:
SPOILERS, do not read if you haven't been a decent way through the Storage room.

yeah, they can kill you in 1 hit. and are as fast as you.

whilst gameplay-wise they're identical, their visual designs do vary level to level so try and peek a look if you can to "fully appreciate" it.

BobsRevenge

I have successfully held off playing until now.

I will begin within the next half hour. ... .... ...

I'm frightened.

Zeliard

Eaten By A Grue said:
Now I remember what this game reminds me of, that old game made on the original Unreal engine. Clive Baker's Undying. Well it is sort of like it. I have been wracking my mind all night trying to remember it.

Edit: Now that I am watching videos of it, perhaps it is not like it. My memory has failed me.

Undying was very different gameplay-wise but was pretty freaky at the time. That was probably the last game to creep me out in any real way, along with Silent Hill 2, which I think came out the same year.

Time to jump into this.

Top Bottom