• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent |OT|

Zeliard

Skipped the demo on purpose to play it fresh. A game hasn't freaked me out or even had me on edge in a very long time, and I'm going to give this one every opportunity to.

lilltias

Zeliard said:
Skipped the demo on purpose to play it fresh. A game hasn't freaked me out or even had me on edge in a very long time, and I'm going to give this one every opportunity to.

same. reading and watching as little as possible about this one. unspoiled to the soiled :lol

A small tip (it wasn't immediately obvious to me): holding down shift will actually allow you to move at a faster pace,
which is helpful in that last section.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Well, the download is up on their website.

Unfortunately I'm at work. :( Hopefully steam has it up by the time I get home. I'm sure they will.

Flib

Was a big Penumbra fan and didn't realize this was coming so soon. Played through the demo last night, instant-buy. I hope these guys keep pumping out this type of game forever.

I hate monsters closets and the like, this is horror done right.

It's up on steam now, I just finished decrypting my game cache.

(probably not up for steam purchases yet, but if you bought it on the website, you're good to go!)

owlbeak

I hate Steam sometimes. If a game releases on the 8th, release the damn game at 12:01am, not noon or whatever arbitrary Valve time they decide on. :(

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Horsebite said:
I hate Steam sometimes. If a game releases on the 8th, release the damn game at 12:01am, not noon or whatever arbitrary Valve time they decide on. :(
I'm furious over here. What is going on? Game, now!

Tim-E

Horsebite said:

They just release games/update the store during the day likely because that's when Valve employees are at work. They don't need to make their employees stay late to release every single game at midnight. It's a 12ish hour wait, who really cares?

owlbeak

Tim-E said:
They just release games/update the store during the day likely because that's when Valve employees are at work. They don't need to make their employees stay late to release every single game at midnight. It's a 12ish hour wait, who really cares?
Uh, it should be automated. Does someone really need to be there to press the "unlock" button?? Puh-lease. It's just silly. Especially because they're on Pacific time so everyone has to wait as long as possible haha.

Tim-E

Horsebite said:
Uh, it should be automated. Does someone really need to be there to press the "unlock" button?? Puh-lease. It's just silly. Especially because they're on Pacific time so everyone has to wait as long as possible haha.

I just don't see what the big deal is about waiting a few hours. I love my video games, but there's no reason to act as if I'm entitled to them at a certain time.

deadnoob

I wish it would release on Steam already, although I'll probably end up waiting until it gets dark out and everyone in my house goes to sleep anyways.

owlbeak

Tim-E said:
I just don't see what the big deal is about waiting a few hours. I love my video games, but there's no reason to act as if I'm entitled to them at a certain time.
I'm just saying it's annoying. I'm not furious, it's just inconvenient that you have to wait for Steam to release it even though it's out on Frictional's website. Maybe I wanted to wake up and play before I go to work. It's just a pain how Steam does releases sometimes.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Horsebite said:
Nah, if something went wrong no one would be there to fix it. You definitely should have someone overseeing it.

Varna

Horsebite said:
I'm just saying it's annoying. I'm not furious, it's just inconvenient that you have to wait for Steam to release it even though it's out on Frictional's website. Maybe I wanted to wake up and play before I go to work. It's just a pain how Steam does releases sometimes.

There have been games were it was faster just to go out and buy a physical copy. I think that's pretty damn sad. Not to mention Steam is hardly punctual with these release times.

Anyhow, this game is bought. Always glad to support these guys.

Tim-E said:
hehe. how about being 12 hours behind every other place you can get the game

Zenith

Banned
Tim-E said:

When you pay money for it you are.

Zeliard said:
btw playing the demo actually works a bit in its own way, there are differences

cbox

I haven't paid attention, but any luck for those with X series ati cards? I'm SOL with playing this game, and preordered months ago ;_;

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Gentlemen, start your engines.

Edit: Nevermind, I suck. The game's marked as available in the shop, but not downloadable yet. Tears flowing.

Druz

wmat said:
Gentlemen, start your engines.

Edit: Nevermind, I suck. The game's marked as available in the shop, but not downloadable yet. Tears flowing.

I felt it was unfair that you were somehow downloading. Aha! Fuck YaaaooOo!

Eaten By A Grue said:
Thread title needs to be changed to "Amnesia: The Dark Descent to Pooping Your Pants"

Actually "The Dark Descent" already sounds like a pretty good euphemism for soiling yourself.

I can't touch this game with a 40-foot pole as I'm a tremendous sissy. But the thing that really impresses me is how they did all this with their own engine. That is just an insane amount of work for a five man team, they must have been putting some crazy hours in on this.

TheFightingFish said:
I can't touch this game with a 40-foot pole as I'm a tremendous sissy. But the thing that really impresses me is how they did all this with their own engine. That is just an insane amount of work for a five man team, they must have been putting some crazy hours in on this.
three years heh

Yasae

Banned
eternal prize said:
I haven't paid attention, but any luck for those with X series ati cards? I'm SOL with playing this game, and preordered months ago ;_;
One of the developers is going to test an X-series.
Thomas said:
Unfortunately I am not able to look into this until next week, as I need to buy a card to test it.

I will do my very best to have a fix done soon!
The problems are major in effect, but the crashes happen on very simple tasks like opening inventory. This along with the image trails post-processing are basically the only two things which keep the game from running on X-series cards. It's a very short list, not a bug hunt.

Ceebs

I am forcing myself to wait until it's dark to play. If I am going to soil my pants, I may as well do it right.

Top Bottom