• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog [confirmed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biker19

Banned
34966941.jpg

Can we wait until we get some more info before going crazy? I would like a better source than IGN.

I'll have to agree with this.

Zok310

Banned
Sorry to see her go, but there is so much talent at ND that this won't even affect them.
All good things come to an end unfortunately.
With her resume she can get a job anywhere, maybe Sony or some big pub will take the risk and give her a budget and a studio.

Sean

Banned
Whoa, surprising news.

Losing Amy is a big loss for ND and if Bruce/Neil are working on UC4 that'd also be kinda disappointing.

Mifune

Mehmber
Dyer has played loose with the facts before so I wouldn't take "forced out" as gospel. Also, I feel like a journalist shouldn't put such loaded verbiage in the piece without the evidence to back it up but maybe that's just me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ready at Dawn talks a lot about how they admire ND. I wonder if they'll try to pick her up.

Dyer has played loose with the facts before so I wouldn't take "forced out" as gospel. Also, I feel like a journalist shouldn't put such loaded verbiage in the piece without the evidence to back it up but maybe that's just me.
I agree. If there aren't any more details, don't phrase it like that.

kpaadet

Along with Neil right? It's like we have experimental groups to find out who's the better writer.

UC2: Amy and Neil
UC3: Amy only
TLoU: Neil only

Even though I hate this pissing contest of who is the better writer I feel like mentioning that UC3 development was not as smooth as UC2 with actors leaving for "better" jobs causing some rewriting + UC3 was probably rushed a bit. ND took huge pride in that they never delayed their games causing UC3 to feel less polished than UC2, they later broke that "no delays" with TLOU though. Rewriting + no option for delays was probably some of the reasons for UC3 didn't felt as tight story wise as UC2 and TLOU did.

injurai

Banned
I hope another Sony studio will take her. Quantic Dream sure can use a good writer.

i don't think it's possible to plug plot holes when you handle plot like they do. If anything they need a new director and designer to give the gameplay some meat, and the presentation some polish.

If this is confirmed then it is a major loss for Naughty Dog and the idiotic fanboys trying to downplay her amazing work over the last decade are an embarrassment to this forum.
I don't know if I should laugh or facepalm reading those comments to be honest.

Ready at Dawn talks a lot about how they admire ND. I wonder if they'll try to pick her up.
Pretty sure they already have that base covered unless they turn into two teams, and that's not happening anytime soon.

just reacting to the first post here

i don't think uncharted had really amazing characters or a well-told story, but at least it was trying to have a little fun. druckmann can turn in a good dramatic piece, but his attitude reminds me of rubin.

if we're not counting U2, we haven't really seen druckmann try to do a fun story - there's no reason to expect that he's not able to. the character interactions in TLOU were great, and there weren't a lot but that game did have moments where the characters lightened up. the DLC for the game had a ton of the characters being dumb and funny.

Minions

To me it still doesn't add up. If Uncharted is really slated for this year I seriously doubt he would have the ability to change much about the story or set pieces and such. Unless of course there was a big kerfuffle over how the game ends, but even then I think he would know his place and ultimately let Amy who has been involved with the series from the start make the decision.

It's why I hate that IGN quote so much. Unless they are going to provide actual details the "forced out" part does more harm than good. Now all of sudden the beloved Neil and Bruce are painted as a couple of douches, when in actuality we know nothing about what happened.

This year? The game was just teased without any game play. Its 2015 at the earliest. Tons of Movies have the directors leave, like my example with Del Toro... and Peter Jackson taking over. If the game was as far along as you think, then creative differences could end up being an issue. We don't have any facts and likely will not find out. The people working for Naughty Dog want to keep their Jobs. Amy wants to leave on good terms and transition to whatever is next (and not burn bridges with Sony); We likely won't know why this came to a head and her decision for leaving.

We need to acknowledge a few key points about UC3 criticism that has been bothering me ever since I became aware of GAF.
First, NeoGaf is not the Internet overall, so I don't tend to feel that if its echoed here, its echoed everywhere.

Second, yes, there is a difference in the metacritic score between the two, although no one ever seems to bring up the fact that UC3's metacritic is based on fewer scores.

Third, Druckmann gets a lot of praise, yet he was one of two in a lead designer role. So please, do not treat him like Uncharted 2's shinning Messiah.

The truth is Uncharted 3 was still great. We can hitch all day about bullet proof vests and "broken aiming" but Uncharted would not be what it was/is without Hennig.

If true, I dont understand how Druckmann would have so much sway he would even feel he had the position "pushout" another developer. Uncharted isn't his project, it was Hennig's. Hell, Wells and Balestra even told me Uncharted 3 was their favorite at E3 when I ran into them. I just dont get it.

Sony, ship it as soon as you can. I dont want anyother influence coming near it.
Your key points contain an awful lot of feels, and a "truth" that is an opinion. The actual truth is that we don't know all of the facts.
Anything other than that, including you posting about how wrong that other poster's opinion is, is nothing more than conjecture or opinions.

I'm not really sure where you're going with your first point, either. You're on GAF, discussing the game with other people on GAF. What does that even have to do with anything?

Well he is the guy who gave us this gem of a quote
The naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 1080 and 720 before 50inch.

teiresias

That this news hasn't immediately been followed up with word of her moving to another Sony studio is particularly telling.

Seems that if she was forced out she doesn't feel Sony AS A WHOLE had her back and doesn't feel comfortable staying anywhere in their corporate culture.

If this were just internal to Naughty Dog I'd have expected Sony to have bent over backwards to get her working elsewhere in their studio structure. So either they didn't - meaning they're fools - or she didn't want to be at Sony anymore, period.

If she was forced out, I think SCEA needs to start putting their studios on shorter leashes. Can't let someone who has performed at her level walk based on some petty bullshit. Her going somewhere outside Sony could be disastrous and ultimately it is Sony's fault for not having a strong enough presence there.

If office politics were in play i don't think there is much Sony could have done other than set up a new team for her some where else.
If Neil and Bruce were involve and wanted her gone it's fuck up but after UC2 and TLOU if they had to choose it would come down to them .
Also don't think shu would be in this , heads of ND would have the final say in this .

LastNac

Like I said before, Amy's writing on the game is probably mostly done and Sony confirmed that the release timeline for Uncharted 4 is unaffected. This is most likely a disagreement about what her next project would be.
I'm also worried about the execution. Hell, most of my favorite moments in TLoU Druckmann had intended to be cutscenes. It was a game designer who said "No, TLoU ending needs to be a playable affair."

Druckmann can write a good script, sure, but he can't implement it beyond cutscenes it would seem

viveks86

34966941.jpg

Can we wait until we get some more info before going crazy? I would like a better source than IGN.

I doubt we'll get any more info that isn't a second hand rumor. Pretty sure none of them would make it better. Also, Gaf goes crazy for much smaller things. So we just have to ride this one out till it becomes old news :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You can say that again. But I don't think Amy would be interested in going to France.

Nor making movies. ;)

Certainly would help if they ever made a Golden Abyss 2.

This year? The game was just teased without any game play. Its 2015 at the earliest. Tons of Movies have the directors leave, like my example with Del Toro... and Peter Jackson taking over. If the game was as far along as you think, then creative differences could end up being an issue. We don't have any facts and likely will not find out. The people working for Naughty Dog want to keep their Jobs. Amy wants to leave on good terms and transition to whatever is next (and not burn bridges with Sony); We likely won't know why this came to a head and her decision for leaving.
Naughty Dog releases games on a regular 2 year basis and you say 2015 at the least? :p So now all of the sudden, they will take potentially 5 years to release it? Seriously?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
She wrote Drake and Sully's banter and that's the most important part of the first two games, so she at least deserves credit for nailing the adventure serial feel. Less kudos-worthy:

-Lazarovich. Laserovik? Who fucking knows or cares.
-Helen Mirren and her swoopy hair and ominious accent.
-The Jason Statham looking guy.
-Nazi zombies
-Blue dudes
-That one post-coitus conversation in U2
-Surfbort McBuffshirt from U2

Basically anything that involves adversaries or threats to Drake and Sully are sub par, but I at least find their relationship entertaining enough to carry (most) of the first two games.

Aww, I liked Cutter, especially because of the way
he appears in the trailers and pre release stuff (even the MP beta!) vs. the way he actually is in the game. I thought he would just be the dumb muscle thug, but nay.

That this news hasn't immediately been followed up with word of her moving to another Sony studio is particularly telling.

Seems that if she was forced out she doesn't feel Sony AS A WHOLE had her back and doesn't feel comfortable staying anywhere in their corporate culture.

If this were just internal to Naughty Dog I'd have expected Sony to have bent over backwards to get her working elsewhere in their studio structure. So either they didn't - meaning they're fools - or she didn't want to be at Sony anymore, period.

Are you her psychiatrist?

LastNac

Your key points contain an awful lot of feels, and a "truth" that is an opinion. The actual truth is that we don't know all of the facts.
Anything other than that, including you posting about how wrong that other poster's opinion is, is nothing more than conjecture or opinions.

I'm not really sure where you're going with your first point, either. You're on GAF, discussing the game with other people on GAF. What does that even have to do with anything?
Where did I post about a "wrong opinion?"

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm also worried about the execution. Hell, most of my favorite moments in TLoU Druckmann had intended to be cutscenes. It was a game designer who said "No, TLoU ending needs to be a playable affair."

Druckmann can write a good script, sure, but he can't implement it beyond cutscenes it would seem

There's still plenty of game designers at ND and I still have serious doubts about the other two being involved with Uncharted 4 much at all.

TLOU just came out last year. 2015 would be 2 years.
They have two teams. 2015 would be four years between Uncharted games, double the time any of the previous games took, and six months longer than building TLoU from scratch.

Haines

Banned

I can't even fathom how your mind read that much into a rumour. That just broke.

Chris_C

One thing I will say is that IGN reported on this poorly. It's great that they got the scoop, but if they could provide solid proof or quotes about the alleged situation between her, Druckmann and Straley that led to her being "forced out", they should have omitted it entirely.

Minions

Naughty Dog releases games on a regular 2 year basis and you say 2015 at the least? :p So now all of the sudden, they will take potentially 5 years to release it? Seriously?

I'm not entirely certain if they changed engines... but platform changes generally take longer. This is their first PS4 release. I still think mid-late 2015 was around when it was to be released before she left.

Damn man, I don't understand why you overreact so much. You have no information other than what was given and you come up with this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom