• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog [confirmed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone get Guerrilla on the phone right now. A writer of her calibre could fix a lot of what's wrong the studio' plot and writing.

Guerrilla already hired a new lead writer, the lead writer of Fallout New Vegas

Who were the big people on Uncharted 3? I'm not really a Naughty Dog fan, and I didn't finish that game, but the half or so I played of it was my favorite Naughty Dog experience.

Game Director: Justin Richmond
Creative Director/Writer: Amy Hennig

Shu needs to sit down with her and change her mind. She has many more stories to tell with Naughty Dog

FiggyCal

Banned
Gotta agree with you here, man.

Everyone takes a crap on UC3, anyway, right? So who cares? /s

Suddenly gafers love Uncharted 3 and Amy is "the best writer in the industry". Where were you guys in the Uncharted 3 lttp's when people were trashing the game? :/ My guess was that they were joining in.

Donthizz#

Guerrilla, please hire her ASAP. She could do wonders for a franchise like Killzone. They have tech, but no hear/soul in the franchise. Which she is the right person to bring it.

She makes memorable characters.

I really hope ND doesnt become all dark and artsy. What made ND successful are the mass friendly titles like Jak, Uncharted etc. Making one artsy title like Last of Us is fine, but I dont want to play depressing games all year.

I want pop-corn flicks.

GG is based in Europe, unlikely she'll end up there, SSM is a good bet or maybe she will start a studio of her own.

li bur

Please rejoin Eidos and make that new soul reaver. Her talent are better suited to fantasy. Or heck make a new fantasy IP with writings on the level of soul reaver.

kairu

Yoshida is the head of World Wide Studios. Two weeks of bad news from 1st part studios.

- Under welheming reveal for Order 1866
- Shattering of new IP in SSM
- Now Amy is leaving ND

YOSP.. please wake up. I hope PS4 success is not getting into their heads. Keep the team and folks that helped revive PS3 and re-build the fan base.

SSM?

thefil

I'm sure she'll do great things from here. She'll be in high demand if she decides to go back to big industry, and at least the GAF community would buy something if she strikes out alone.

ZeroX03

Banned
I consider Uncharted 3 the strongest in the trilogy by a mile, so I'm really disappointed by this.

Not that I dislike Neil or Bruce's work, quite the opposite, but I really enjoy her work too.

Suddenly gafers love Uncharted 3 and Amy is "the best writer in the industry". Where were you guys in the Uncharted 3 lttpt's when people were trashing the game? :/ My guess was that they were joining in.

GAF isn't a single opinion. I've always spoke positively toward Uncharted 3.

MercuryLS

Banned
I bet you that Hennig wanted to keep Uncharted as a pulpy adventure and Straley and Druckmann wanted the series to be more grounded like TLOU with the ND presidents siding with Staley and Druckmann.

Gorillaz

She should definitely be a writer for Guriella Games tho, good lord, do they need one

beside the Obsidian writer

Whompa

Maybe we can wait for an actual story before we go on a...ah fuck it you guys are already completely bonkers on this one already.

I-hate-u

Yoshida is the head of World Wide Studios. Two weeks of bad news from 1st part studios.

- Now Amy is leaving ND

YOSP.. please wake up. I hope PS4 success is not getting into their heads. Keep the team and folks that helped revive PS3 and re-build the fan base.

100% agreed. Terrible PR performance from Sony this year, outside of sales announcements.

Sources claim Hennig was “forced out” by The Last of Us’ Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley, and explained that Uncharted may now come under their control.

If true? Your funeral, dudes.

So who's going to be the lucky studio to land this prize?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Seems like a dumb story.

I'm skeptical of the claim she was forced out by Neil and Bruce. Videogame industry reporting... gotta love it.

True or not, this will become like urban legend in gaming forums across the internet for the rest of time.

If true it is a shame, since even if you didn't find the stories of the Uncharted games that interesting I always loved the characters. Still, I have faith that Neil and Bruce can do a great job as well.

Silky

Banned

- Now Amy is leaving ND

lolllllllllllllllllll you're panicking, it's not even a year into the new consoles and we're saying this

maneil99

- Under welheming reveal for Order 1866 Achieved the goal they wanted, graphical showcase, gameplay will be at E3
- Shattering of new IP in SSM Never confirmed what got canceled, they had 2 new IPs being made, the game had been under development for 5 years, Sony would not cancel something that was close to launch, the game wasn't going to be ready soon
- Now Amy is leaving ND Nothing to do with Yoshida or Sony for that matter....

Very Immature post

stryke

It must have been pretty recent. Her Twitter profile is yet to be updated and her last uc4 related tweet was feb 23 with Todd Stashwick.

If all of this is true, could this mean Naughty Dog is returning to a primarily one game at a time studio?

LastNac

How is that relevant? I sincerely hope that success can be measured by more than just sales figures. ND has been incredibly lucky to have enough support from Sony to be able to focus on making a quality games rather than ones that sell at the blockbuster level. And if that is the measure of success (which it seems to be in ND's case), then I repeat: not surprised.
Its relevant because someone felt they could brush the negative news away by being all "UC2 and TLoU did so much better in sales etc."

I'm not afraid to point out incorrect posts.

def sim

If this is confirmed then it is a major loss for Naughty Dog and the idiotic fanboys trying to downplay her amazing work over the last decade are an embarrassment to this forum.

It's really bumming me out that this is turning out to be the case.

UC3 was weak, but it's not a damning piece of work.

Pistolero

GAF drama at its finest! People come and go. and partnerships often end. Let's hope that this one concluded on a happy note.
Best wishes to Amy, and good luck to those who are going to pursue the serie.

I bet you that Hennig wanted to keep Uncharted as a pulpy adventure and Straley and Druckmann wanted the series to be more grounded like TLOU with the ND presidents siding with Staley and Druckmann.

wouldn't these decisions have been made a pretty long time ago? unless you mean uncharted 5.

Its relevant because someone felt they could brush the negative news away by being all "UC2 and TLoU did so much better in sales etc."

I'm not afraid to point out incorrect posts.

Yeah, but he said nothing about sales, so your post was absolutely irrelevant. Don't worry, I can point out incorrect posts, too.

Why would they want that? They had great success in a pulpy UC2. That said, the whole of Naughty Dog would be invested in UC4 being a game changer. If her direction was reason for the split, that doesn't necessarily mean that the UC games are suddenly going to become a grounded drama like TLOU

LastNac

Suddenly gafers love Uncharted 3 and Amy is "the best writer in the industry". Where were you guys in the Uncharted 3 lttpt's when people were trashing the game? :/ My guess was that they were joining in.
I've been in every damn one since I joined.

Sami+

I'm torn. After playing The Last of Us I'm totally okay with a Naughty Dog under Druckmann and Straley, but at the same time I'm worried about the office politics that may have been involved.

I recall them saying in lots of the making of videos for their games that they don't sugarcoat criticism on each others' work in the interest of a better game - maybe they just didn't feel her direction with Uncharted was up to par? I mean, from what I can gather, they seemed to be the main talent behind Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, so... I'd back the talent I guess?

Fuck, this is just so bizarre of a situation. I hope UC4's quality doesn't suffer for this.

Kriken

The forced out line really disturb me for a person that high up. I wish her the best of luck in her future endeavors

gogoud

suddenly only writing was the only problem in uncharted 3... direction was horrible, the gameplay was horrible... writing was not bad. the supernatural/sci fi stuff was not forced like it was in the previous series.

Guerrilla already hired a new lead writer, the lead writer of Fallout New Vegas

Game Director: Justin Richmond
Creative Director/Writer: Amy Hennig

Shu needs to sit down with her and change her mind. She has many more stories to tell with Naughty Dog

Richmond might be leading TLOU team maybe if Druckmann and Starley is on UC4, what is that other teams supposed to be do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom