• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog [confirmed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchum

Oh no. Hopefully she lands on her feet. No clue what could have gone down. Hopefully it was no more than a disagreement of progressing that neither group would back down from, and something had to give.

Too much competition between teams or they didn't like her direction at all. I can't see much more

To be honest, I will back the talent ............. and that's Neil and Bruce.

Without them on Uncharted 3 it suffered and with them doing TLOU, it's quite apparent where the real talent is at Naughty Dog.

Gotta agree with you here, man.

Everyone takes a crap on UC3, anyway, right? So who cares? /s

Who were the big people on Uncharted 3? I'm not really a Naughty Dog fan, and I didn't finish that game, but the half or so I played of it was my favorite Naughty Dog experience.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Guerrilla, please hire her ASAP. She could do wonders for a franchise like Killzone. They have tech, but no hear/soul in the franchise. Which she is the right person to bring it.

She makes memorable characters.

I really hope ND doesnt become all dark and artsy. What made ND successful are the mass friendly titles like Jak, Uncharted etc. Making one artsy title like Last of Us is fine, but I dont want to play depressing games all year.

I want pop-corn flicks.

Someone get Guerrilla on the phone right now. A writer of her calibre could fix a lot of what's wrong the studio' plot and writing.

Feels bad, but at the same time it may be a positive thing.

The stories for the Uncharted series hasn't been all that strong, even though they had tremendous potential. Uncharted 3 in particular.

Uncharted 2 was the best in the series, back when Bruce and Neil worked on it. Meanwhile, The Last of Us basically took Naughty Dog to a completely other level of amazing presentation values.

I'm sure she wasn't necessarily 'forced out', but had an irreconcilable difference of opinion. Which is a shame, because Amy definitely deserves a massive amount of credit for the Uncharted series.

I just hope the project isn't in jeopardy like the recent Sony Santa Monica game....that would be terrible news.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Woah, what the hell?

Hype for Uncharted 4 = Buying a PS4 for Day One-> Buying a PS4 for... ... ... ... in six years, maybe. If the story turns out good... maybe.

At least we always have Uncharted 1-3/Portable, Amy?

I genuinely hope the "forced out" business is not true, because I have fucking zero patience for office politicking, and I'd hate to think talent was pushed out the door because of conniving or ego. I'll wait to see how this develops before throwing people under a bus, but fuck if that's not disappointing.

Pain

Banned
Trouble in paradise? On the bright side this could be a good thing. Change is good. Uncharted PS4 is most definitely delayed now though...

Jburton

Banned
Uncharted 3 outsold UC2. Significantly.

Coming off the overwhelming reception of Uncharted 2 ......... the dip in quality was noticeable.

All the while TLOU shined.

The difference between UC2 and UC3, Druckmann and Straley weren't there.

Hexa

So after spending a lot of time contemplating whether they wanted to do a new IP or a TLoU sequel... they decided to take over Uncharted? Dafuq? I have complete confidence in their abilities, but it just seems so random.
What's going to happen to the double team structure of Naughty Dog now?
Overall, I feel we need more confirmation than this.

This is a big mistake. I have love for TLOU creators but Amy Henning was an excellent writer and I'm pretty sure the next Uncharted will suffer.

daveo42

Banned
First of all, really crazy news about her leaving ND. Second, I'm waiting on something more concrete than just rumors from 'sources' that she was forced out. The whole Neil and Bruce bit could easily be misconstrued here.

Havel

Who were the big people on Uncharted 3? I'm not really a Naughty Dog fan, and I didn't finish that game, but the half or so I played of it was my favorite Naughty Dog experience.

Amy was the lead on U3, while Bruce and Neil headed U2 and TLOU.

conman

Uncharted 3 outsold UC2. Significantly.
How is that relevant? I sincerely hope that success can be measured by more than just sales figures. ND has been incredibly lucky to have enough support from Sony to be able to focus on making a quality games rather than ones that sell at the blockbuster level. And if that is the measure of success (which it seems to be in ND's case), then I repeat: not surprised.

maneil99

Woah, what the hell?

Hype for Uncharted 4 = Buying a PS4 for Day One-> Buying a PS4 for... ... ... ... in six years, maybe. If the story turns out good... maybe.

At least we always have Uncharted 1-3/Portable, Amy?

So the creative writer of a game was the difference between you spending 460$ and not buying a console.... Okay

newjeruse

We don't know any of these people as well as we think they do. But come on: hearing Straley and Druckmann talk as much as they have since TLoU has come out, they don't seem like the types to force out a respected peer.

I think what is possible is that Druckmann and Straley tried to leverage their success into a title change. Hennig demanded the same title change, didn't receive it, and walked.

Obviously that's complete speculation, but the point is that it's possible Druckmann/Straley couldn't have forced her exit without overtly trying to do it.

web01

The writing for uncharted 3 was complee dogshit but 1 and 2 were pretty damn good so not sure how to feel.

LastNac

Coming off the overwhelming reception of Uncharted 2 ......... the dip in quality was noticeable.

All the while TLOU shined.

The difference between UC2 and UC3, Druckmann and Straley weren't there.
Yep, if you love a lot of filler gunplay and a lot of cutscenes than Uncharted 2 and the first half of TLoU is for you.

Too much competition between teams or they didn't like her direction at all. I can't see much more
UC4: Drake has become doughnut Drake, and is a hoarder. His friends have all abandoned him, and he is living a life of abject seclusion. In Uncharted 4: Sea of Emotions, Drake embarks on his toughest journey ever, a journey of introspection. This time, it's not treasure he's seeking. Drake is about to find out that the real treasure is friendship.

coldone

I blame Tretton. What is going on at SCEA?

Yoshida is the head of World Wide Studios. Two weeks of bad news from 1st part studios.

- Under welheming reveal for Order 1866
- Shattering of new IP in SSM
- Now Amy is leaving ND

YOSP.. please wake up. I hope PS4 success is not getting into their heads. Keep the team and folks that helped revive PS3 and re-build the fan base.

Trouble in paradise? On the bright side this could be a good thing. Change is good. Uncharted PS4 is most definitely delayed now though...

Why do people keep saying this? The game and it's story were probably in development for some time, and if it really was slated for this year most of the plot elements and such would already be in place.

This seems like such odd timing for a story like this to break. We won't have more concrete information for like another 10 hours or so most likely.

Massa

If this is confirmed then it is a major loss for Naughty Dog and the idiotic fanboys trying to downplay her amazing work over the last decade are an embarrassment to this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom