• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'An All-Male Party Makes Final Fantasy XV 'More Approachable', Says Director

Mesoian

And we enjoy it, damnit.

J7fzrdc.gif

Ashe is still one of the best characters of the series. Even made better when someone explained how
she was slowly moving to the dark side during the game.

It seemed like 2 of them were fawning over Cindy so I doubt it.

Eh, you'd be surprised what closeted guys will do...

Given the prevailing attitudes of the internet I feel that outright enjoyment of an all-male case can tend to draw a lot of passive-aggressive, condescending remarks about gender representation in video games. I mean, another poster here said he was "boycotting" the game because of the all-male case. It wasn't just a matter of being not interested, it was an acknowledged boycott which implies like a political or social revulsion to the game.

Ah, makes sense, bummer too.

wmlk

So, was this decision made to please us western gamers, which we have that "dude-bro" stigma? (which isn't far from truth tbh)

No, back in 2006 it wasn't even a mainline game, and it was done for story reasons.

What I dislike about how Tabata answers this question is that it seems like he has to justify why it's an all-male cast when he doesn't have to justify anything. It's their game. They can do whatever they want with it.

Mesoian

Ashe is still one of the best characters of the series. Even made better when someone explained how

Now imagine if she was still the main character instead of Van.

Oh FF12...you were so close. Why did you flinch in the end?

Got any more on this? First I've heard of this, and I love me some FF theories.

I personally subscribe to the Rinoa=Ultemica theory.

Toparaman

Banned
This is going to turn into something but, before it does, I just want to say that this:

Is true.

It's true, but at the same time, an FF without estrogen just feels so wrong. The mixed-gender party was always a big part of the character dynamics in past games. I dunno if I want FF: Sausagefest Edition.

I really dont care about the diversity and representation, I just care that the cast is shit and I like female characters. Bro Dynamic is fucking awful

HeelPower

Ashe was an awesome character.

How many games feature a strong woman fight back for her rightful role as a Queen/Ruler of a country ?

Maaan FFXII was so good.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Using the term "approachable" is a really bad choice as it easily sounds as if it's channeling the notion people don't want to play games with women in the lead group.

An irony of interpreting it that way however is that it seems to be the boy band aesthetic they've got going is likely to make the game very approachable indeed to quite a few women in the FF fanbase.

Dinda

Maybe they should continue the bro roadtrip team and have one of the gang be that guy who shows up with their annoying girlfriend without telling anyone?

Final Fantasy is probably the most inclusive AAA franchise around. They have always had strong female characters and heck... they just had a trilogy of games with a female lead in each game. I think they have earned a little slack and are not just doing the normal AAA "all games have generic male leads because its what the focus groups want" thing.

They just need to be a bit more careful trying to talk about it because Jesus H Christ......

You know, as someone who doesn't like the cast of FFXV it would be a lot easier to accept if i would know that the next one with a typical diverse cast (male, female, young, old ....beast) is right around the corner. But the truth is that there probably won't be a another real numbered FF this generation. Maybe XV-2, but as seen in X2, XIII-2 an LR those have nowhere mear the production values of a main title.

Jarate

Banned
Also here's how's it more approachable

Dudebros in the west are gonna like it because they want to go on bro-ventures and chicks are gonna like it because the guys are the Backstreet Boys and chicks dig the back street boys

lil

I don't mind the cast but the way Tabata is trying to defend it just rubs me the wrong way.

Yep. It's fine, whatever, but when people say stuff like it'd be more "approachable" with an all male cast, "boys will be boys" or that "if you want to play as a woman go dress up Lightning" (an actual gaffer said this) I do get put off from XV and the community. I freaking love LoTR and The Hobbit, even though the only female in the latter is a horse. The point is, if you want to do a male cast, cool, but do it in a way that doesn't enable boy's club behavior; don't defend your decision in a way that's gonna put off people who didn't care in the first place.

HeelPower

Got any more on this? First I've heard of this, and I love me some FF theories.

I personally subscribe to the Rinoa=Ultemica theory.

Its not a theory.

IIRC its something either Vayne , Cid or one of the Judge Magisters said when she was seeking the power of the magicite.

Ashe had to make a decision whether to use such aggressive powers to take back her throne.

I love the all male cast/bro dynamic and it's the story they wanted to tell since forever (Nomura). So I really don't see the drama besides it's always been known that it was going to be all male.

EGM1966

Fair enough as far as it goes. Personally though that's a fairly bland dynamic to explore - for my tastes anyway.

But hey if they're going for a "boys night out" gang then fair enough.

I always liked to play female characters. female shepard, diablo amazone, dragon's dogma and so on. an only-male party is boring.
hope the game itself is fun.

Hopeford

Speaking on a purely selfish note, I'm really looking forward to this game and a huge part of it is the all-male roadtrip bro feel of it. Three years ago, me and some friends had an incredibly stereotypical road trip and it's one of the best memories of my life. When I look at this game it just brings back the same feeling from back then, but with final fantasy monsters in the background. My friends who are normally not into JRPGs are looking forward to this for the same reason.

And while I definitely see why people would be upset about the lack of representation, I kind of like the all-bro tour here. Like, from a purely selfish note, this is really nice to me.

Kind of feel conflicted here in that regard, actually. I can see why people would be upset that the game has no female characters, but I'm really fond of the bro roadtrip vibe and would never want them to change that. I do wonder how selfish it makes me to enjoy that. Like I'm aware that the industry lacks representation in games and all, but I genuinely enjoy this specific cast because it brings back some nice memories and it's just a vibe I'm fond of.

Like I'm not sure if I'm making sense here--I almost feel guilty for enjoying this tone, but man. It's just this one game that I really want. Normally I'm all for adding female characters to everything, but this is one case where I totally understand why it would go against tone. I have some stupid memories of me and my friends clowning around somewhere in Alberta, a friend getting a call from his girlfriend and we all suddenly shutting the hell up and starting to behave and pretend we were not childish idiots tossing snowballs in an empty road.

It's like, guys are more willing to behave like bro dumbasses if girls aren't around, and even though most games have male-heavy cases, they usually emphasize the "grr everyone is a quiet badass" as opposed to friends hanging out on a road trip like this one. So I just kind of...appreciate this? I don't know if I'm making sense.

Point is: I'm a hypocrite who is all for female characters in games but I have 0 problems with the boy band road trip. In fact, I kind of love the tone they're going for.

FluxWaveZ

Haven't played it. Heard it sucks. Not really a mainline entry anyway.

This was originally Versus XIII, too.

Why not just add a female to the cast who's not treated differently by the rest of the group and who isn't subject to any romance angles?

Would that female member then sleep in the same tents as the male characters? There would be no references to her being female whatsoever in the interactions between the characters?

None of the promo materials I've seen for XV indicated to me that a female party member was likely, so it's not like this was a big surprise. I think the "more approachable" argument is a bit dumb--approachable to who? Personally all the roadtrips I've been on have been mixed gender and were no less a "roadtrip experience" for it. But I do understand that having an all-male cast changes the group dynamic, and if that's something they really want to explore then whatever. I think Tabata's been mostly upfront about wanting to explore this dynamic so this particular case doesn't bother me very much.

It does also mean, though, that I may find the game less interesting, just because "dudes on a roadtrip exploring their dude feelings" has never really resonated with me in fiction. I'm not saying XV has to cater to my interests (and I'm still interested in the game), but if the secret, behind-doors reason behind this move was to keep the game as "approachable" as possible, I think Tabata and co. should be more aware that some people may also be turned off the game as a result, and not just on principle either.

And also, beware the compulsion to stick to an all-male party because it's the "default" somehow.

Top Bottom