• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An important statement from Naughty Dog

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I suppose this is somewhat chilling given current context...

MNYxfzi7-600x400.jpg

Not really. It's just a naked woman.

Rellik

Please do not punish naughty dog's incredibly talented staff because of the actions of the sexual harassser. People are there working hard on TLOU II and it would be awful if people refused the buy the game because of one or two bad apples there. That just punishes all the good people there

What. The. Fuck. Is. This.

I won't be buying shit from a company as scummy as ND and I hope no one else does either. Fuck them and fuck Sony.

Lightning

Banned

I won't be buying shit from a company as scummy as ND and I hope no one else does either. Fuck them and fuck Sony.
That's your choice. I don't take peoples word, that's not good enough. Provide proof.

Even then, I'm a gamer, if a game is great then I'm going to play it regardless of who made it or what type of people they may be.

Cause the only person who suffers or misses out from a stance of not buying or playing is me. I'm not punishing myself for the actions of others. Buying a game is not endorsing their conduct, it's endorsing s great game. This is not specific to ND, this is my view in general.

If these allegations turn out to be true then I hope for justice against those involved as much as anyone. Hundreds of people are involved in making games, not 2 or 3, so unless we're talking about a cultural environment that is through the entire company and Sony too at which point my view would change then no way. I'll just hate those responsible in commiting and covering and not the company as a whole if this happened.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Even then, I'm a gamer, if a game is great then I'm going to play it regardless of who made it or what type of people they may be.

So by your logic, you would buy a game if was developed by an alt-right racist and they were using the money to fund an anti-gay trust.

I am sorry but the whole "I am gamer" argument is weak, if not a joke, and just an excuse people tell themselves to ignore the issue at hand just so they can play the product in hand while tangoing with the devil himself.

And I say this regardless if Naughty Dog is guilty or not.

I mean, that seems to have been your stance even before this came to light, haha.

I think it's fair to boycott for any reason, but please try to be a little less transparent.

Nategc20

Banned
If this never happened or if hes just a disgruntled employee jumping on the "slay that executive" campaign that's going on now then fuck him. If not, fuck naughty dog.

kliklik

Banned
People really need to learn that the original aphorism is "one rotten apple spoils the bunch". (It doesn't help your case to refer to someone within an organisation as a rotten apple!)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
People really need to learn that the original aphorism is "one rotten apple spoils the bunch". (It doesn't help your case to refer to someone within an organisation as a rotten apple!)

Lol. So true.

This is incredibly disappointing, but not surprising. The gaming industry treats women pretty deplorably, and it’s often seemingly “innocuous” behavior that can easily be twisted into a “misunderstanding,” when it’s really just harassment.

Literally every woman I’ve worked with in the industry in my 12 years has told me of a time when they have been harassed. A few men, as well, but almost universally women.

This culture of harassment needs to be uprooted, and eliminated, and that won’t happen when people get defensive when they hear bad things about their favorite companies. The responses I’ve read on twitter and even in this thread are 100% why victims don’t come forward, and sexual harassment and sexual abuse are some of the most difficult things to prove because they’re almost always done on the downlow, and often when the victim isn’t prepared for it in a way where they can get proof. We’re lucky if the harasser is stupid enough to harass them through emails or text messages, but the sad truth is that most of it happens behind closed doors, when it’s just the victim and their abuser, and their word of events after the fact.

That’s something that the “wait for more evidence” crowd needs to get through their heads: there won’t always be “receipts.” I’ve been sexually harassed and sexually assaulted and all I had was my word. Being disbelieved is a horrible fucking feeling. And then having people say, “well maybe you misinterpreted what they meant,” or “it just seemed like they were joking,” or, “why would say this and ruin this guy’s life?” is a slap in the face. Especially when YOU were there, and it certainly didn’t feel like a joke at the time, and you know what the abuser did to you.

I can understand wanting to learn more, but often there isn’t much else to learn. The real world isn’t like a tv show, where there’s a “gotcha!” moment where the abuser is caught dead to rights with a timely bit of information and evidence. I’m not for witch hunts, but I’m 100% for demanding an explanation from an accused person. It’s up to us to decide if we accept the explanation, but this isn’t a court room, so ultimately, it doesn’t affect anything besides our own perception of the people involved.

I hope Naughty Dog and any company with a toxic culture make legit changes going forward. I don’t want this conversation to ever die down, and I commend the victims stepping forward.

I'm not about to let the act of a single person cloud my judgement of an entire company of hundreds of people, especially when it hasn't been proven that others were knowledgeable that these acts were happening. If it's proven true, and others knew about it, then I'd hold the people who knew about it accountable, and look to how the company responds. I believe that they deserve the chance to respond if true.

DataGhost

I'm not about to let the act of a single person cloud my judgement of an entire company of hundreds of people, especially when it hasn't been proven that others were knowledgeable that these acts were happening. If it's proven true, and others knew about it, then I'd hold the people who knew about it accountable, and look to how the company responds. I believe that they deserve the chance to respond if true.

If that's the case, there were new allegations and they have yet to respond

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1450731&page=1

Aeolus

Banned
If this how naughty dog is responding, then more than likely that guy's claim was bs. He can be sued by sony for defamation easily if this doesn't pan out. You can't just say whatever you want about anyone.

DataGhost

If this how naughty dog is responding, then more than likely that guy's claim was bs. He can be sued by sony for defamation easily if this doesn't pan out. You can't just say whatever you want about anyone.

If that's the case, I wonder why they didn't sue outright because according to you, you believe the victim is lying. I don't believe their response indicated anything

Aeolus

Banned
If that's the case, I wonder why they didn't sue outright because according to you, you believe the victim is lying. I don't believe their response indicated anything

Well this has to run it's course. If nothing comes from the accusations then they can sue whenever they want. This accusations were recently posted on social media. I guess we'll see. I don't believe him because his story is as fishy as a fish market on sunday.

graybot

As long as you apply this to every single company you will not be a hypocrite

So I’m hoping you don’t wear anything from Nike, adidas etc or have ever eaten McDonald’s etc

Etc etc etc

DataGhost

Well this has to run it's course. If nothing comes from the accusations then they can sue whenever they want. This accusations were recently posted on social media. I guess we'll see. I don't believe him because his story is as fishy as a fish market on sunday.

I don't see how you can proclaim that one easy or the other. Why let it run it's course? That will only serve to damage ND and Sony in the long run.

By your logic, they'll sure when the damage is done. Why in the world would they do that? I believe there may be more to the story. After all, more people are coming out with stories like this about Naughty Dog.

Duderino

Because as a studio that's progressive you should be held to a higher standard.
Why exactly should sexual harassment allocations be held to different standards when a place of business has political leanings in one direction or another? Perhaps you believe being progressive means you should know better? The truth is, plain and simple, everyone should know better. Assuming one categorization of people are more responsible than another is how you get misconduct that can go unchecked for years.

DataGhost

So I’m hoping you don’t wear anything from Nike, adidas etc or have ever eaten McDonald’s etc

Etc etc etc

I sure would stop supporting those companies of they allow such a culture of sexual harassment.

However, I think the main thing in their part was because ND has am image of not tolerating this sort of thing. When you have two people stating that may not be true, then ND can be seen as a hypocrite.

Macleoid

Etc etc etc

That's daft. People care about a variety of different issues. People become aware of different issues. More power to anyone taking a moral stand I say. I wish I had the strength of character to do more than I do.

Aeolus

Banned
I don't see how you can proclaim that one easy or the other. Why let it run it's course? That will only serve to damage ND and Sony in the long run.

By your logic, they'll sure when the damage is done. Why in the world would they do that? I believe there may be more to the story. After all, more people are coming out with stories like this about Naughty Dog.

Run it's course in if the accusations go anywhere in the legal sense or not. If he doesn't file any charges or file any lawsuit, then they should go after him for defamation. He basically accused ND and sony of trying to cover up his sexual assault and that they tried to bribe him.

DataGhost

Run it's course in if the accusations go anywhere in the legal sense or not. If he doesn't file any charges or file any lawsuit, then they should go after him for defamation. He basically accused ND and sony of trying to cover up his sexual assault and that they tried to bribe him.

Then we can only wait as David may have seeked legal counsel himself. It is my assumption that he may be silent due to that. Until more information comes out, I'll chose to wait as I an a bit more sympathetic to David due to another person starting that Naughty Dog may not be necessarily truthful of some of their employees

Aeolus

Banned
Then we can only wait as David may have seeked legal counsel himself. It is my assumption that he may be silent due to that. Until more information comes out, I'll chose to wait as I an a bit more sympathetic to David due to another person starting that Naughty Dog may not be necessarily truthful of some of their employees

I'm in the same boat in that regard. How do you know if someone quoted you or replied to you in a thread? I'm kinda new to this thread so I'm trying to figure out the basics.

Terrell

That's your choice. I don't take peoples word, that's not good enough. Provide proof.

Cause the only person who suffers or misses out from a stance of not buying or playing is me. I'm not punishing myself for the actions of others. Buying a game is not endorsing their conduct, it's endorsing s great game. This is not specific to ND, this is my view in general.

If these allegations turn out to be true then I hope for justice against those involved as much as anyone. Hundreds of people are involved in making games, not 2 or 3, so unless we're talking about a cultural environment that is through the entire company and Sony too at which point my view would change then no way. I'll just hate those responsible in commiting and covering and not the company as a whole if this happened.

I read this and all I can think is that it's a long-winded way of saying that your principles mean practically nothing compared to your personal comfort. And it's your right to behave that way, but when you devalue your principles that much, they're essentially worthless, so there's no point in you ever taking the high road in any context when you can be bought off with entertainment and personal comfort so easily. This is why people mock people with principles as an "outrage culture" or "just being all talk" and not taken seriously. So I hope that you will step back from taking a principled stance on any matter moving forward, as you just cheapen the notion for the rest of us.

If that's the case, there were new allegations and they have yet to respond

That's completely despicable. And quite honestly, I'm very inclined to believe it as well.

I'm seriously asking here.. How should they respond publicly when no names are given specifically?

I mean, other than to say that they take this stuff seriously and that they weren't aware of anything.

Maybe announce steps they take to ensure this behavior will not be tolerated. Set something up where people can anonymously speak up about issues of harassment without fear of reprimand so the people in charge can gauge the issue of harassment in the workplace and work to resolve and prevent it from happening in the future?

DataGhost

I'm in the same boat in that regard. How do you know if someone quoted you or replied to you in a thread? I'm kinda new to this thread so I'm trying to figure out the basics.

Unfortunately I don't think GAF offers a notification system. You just have to go to the thread

I read this and all I can think is that it's a long-winded way of saying that your principles mean practically nothing compared to your personal comfort. And it's your right to behave that way, but when you devalue your principles that much, they're essentially worthless, so there's no point in you ever taking the high road in any context when you can be bought off with entertainment and personal comfort so easily. This is why people mock people with principles as an "outrage culture" or "just being all talk" and not taken seriously. So I hope that you will step back from taking a principled stance on any matter moving forward, as you just cheapen the notion for the rest of us.

I have to agree. Its like the controversy over the last night. Just because the games great, doesn't mean I'm going to play it if it's against my principles.

Supporting the game means you patronize the creators similar to the last night.

That's completely despicable. And quite honestly, I'm very inclined to believe it as well.

I'm seriously asking here.. How should they respond publicly when no names are given specifically?

I mean, other than to say that they take this stuff seriously and that they weren't aware of anything.

Maybe announce steps they take to ensure this behavior will not be tolerated. Set something up where people can anonymously speak up about issues of harassment without fear of reprimand so the people in charge can gauge the issue of harassment in the workplace and work to resolve and prevent it from happening in the future?

Honestly I have no idea what a good answer is. But it's been several days since this had been revealed and yet there had been no response. Maybe silence is their answer. I don't know corporate or PR but maybe that's their answer to the new accusation as it's been about 4 days

Top Bottom