• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst Group: Sony To Blame for Nintendos Inability To Secure Third Party Games.

1997 called, it wants its news story back.

They've had this issue since the N64 days, you'd think they would've learned by now.

They haven't because Nintendo doesn't view it as an issue. Never has, never will. Third parties are a non-factor in what Nintendo believes its business model to be. Nothing they announce on the 30th or whenever will involve third parties in any capacity -- they will never be considered part of the solution, not with this regime anyway.

Again, I'm not sure how this or any other recent "Third parties, why no Wii U?" articles qualify as news. Anyone who has followed the industry for any amount of time should have known the answer to this years ago. An analysis group can come to the same conclusion that we all would, that Nintendo's "Get N or Get Out" approach to third parties has scared many of them away in the face of low return on investments.

Wii U was always a long shot to get good third party support, and of course Nintendo knew that going in, they haven't had quality third party support in almost 20 years. Right or wrong, they expect success with or without the support of third parties. Keep in mind that all throughout last year, the token response from Iwata and Reggie regarding how to solve the third party problem was to release more Nintendo games.

I don't see point #2 (as expected by the analyst group) to even be addressed at Nintendo's briefing, much less having a tangible solution in place to try and rectify the third party problem. To expect anything regarding that issue is to ignore how Nintendo does business. Unless this response happens to coincide with a massive housecleaning at NCL, I'd be stunned if Nintendo plans to make significant strides to improve third party relations.

schaft0620

Multiple 3rd party devs came out and said that MS and Sony consulted with them on the hardware and they had no idea what was in the Wii U.

Aaron

Nintendo made hardware without consulting any third parties, which turned out difficult to port their 360/PS3 games to the Wii U. Since most of the ports they did make didn't turn out to be worth the effort, the blame firmly rests with Nintendo.

Effect

Doesn't Nintendo have Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest on lock for Japan/in the West?

More so in Japan. Square Enix doesn't seem interested in further pushing Dragon Quest outside of Japan be it the mmo Dragon Quest X, the remakes for Dragon Quest 7 or Monsters on the 3DS . Neither does Nintendo it seems. Monster Hunter really is up to Capcom since Nintendo has never published it, just helped distribute the physical game and got the fee removed for Tri. Capcom I believed handled the advertising of Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii and I dont' believe Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U was ever advertised the way Tri was. This helps Nintendo in Japan and only in Japan and Nintendo is more passive it seems. It's not like Nintendo is doing out of their way to really push these games. They likely don't need to in Japan after all this time.

The Wii U is failing because Sony is a hacker aimbot cunt 1v1 me m8 I banged ur mom
Best post yet.

Nintendo couldn't bear to support 3rd party development on their consoles because for some reason they feel that the 3rd parties want to be on Nintendo systems for other reasons than money. Therefore, the fault lies with those who helped 3rd parties. Yeah. Sound logic.

The analyst is right. If Sony and Microsoft didn't exist (and somehow no one else replaced them...) Nintendo would easily be able to secure tons of third-party games!

Third party support is the result of hard work over many software generations. Sony did a better job than Nintendo since the very first Playstation.

More news at 11.

entremet

Multiple 3rd party devs came out and said that MS and Sony consulted with them on the hardware and they had no idea what was in the Wii U.

Nintendo pretty much lives in its bubble. It's a corporate culture issue and its deep in the company.

Emily Rogers had a great write up recently documenting how entrenched that culture is.

jeffers

I think an example of what its trying to get at, at least i hope, is like COD - they barely even announce the thing exists, and thus it sells pretty awfully (then leads to audience growth on other platforms too).

Also to people going "its nintendos fault!" well yeah, if it wasnt then he wouldnt be bringing it up and expecting a solution...

edit: also since japanese firm im assuming they are ignoring MS from the problem.

Finaika

644.gif

Who's the girl?

It would be an error to think of this in terms of cartoonish cheque-writing--although that obviously has happened in the past...

Nintendo made hardware without consulting any third parties, which turned out difficult to port their 360/PS3 games to the Wii U. Since most of the ports they did make didn't turn out to be worth the effort, the blame firmly rests with Nintendo.

I think these two cover most of the issues.

Only thing I can add is that I think disparity in power with the hardware (as well as lack of communication when designing it) also plays a role as well, though it may not be as important as the points mentioned above.

Also, their comparatively poor online infrastructure is probably a barrier too, given the increasing importance of connectivity in games as we go forward.

Really though, this all goes back to the biggest issue; Nintendo is too insulated and too conservative. They've been operating the same way for years and don't want to seem to change.

Nintendo has problems with third parties cause they focus on their own problems first and foremost (which is good but also alienates third parties), therefore they have problems with support from third party developers. I understand where the analyst group is coming from but I don't agree with their argument.

Jonm1010

Banned
Truth is Nintendo NEVER had great third party relations.

The horror stories were endless from the NES/SNES days and since then every one of their major competitors have done a better job overall of catering to the wants and needs of developers, creating the tools, hardware and accompanying software that best aligns with most third party interests. All the while Nintendo has forever kept its head in the sand when it comes to emerging industry trends(cd and DVD formats, the internet, x86 architecture, older core gaming demographic, fleeting casual market to alternative products etc.)

This is the outcome of those poor relationships and head in the sand approach. Expect it to only get worse from here if Nintendo wants to stay in the home console business and they don't commit to the biggest business change in their history or hit the lottery again with another wii type fluke. It's just not monetarily feasible to sustain a console without third parties anymore.

antronoid

This is now the fourth straight generation where they've suffered extreme disinterest from third parties. Are we really supposed to think anyone is at fault here but Nintendo?!

They can't help but alienate third parties in their arrogance to join the 21st century. They run a business for their customers and if they aren't giving their customers what they want, then those customers will flock to businesses that will give them what they want. So it's no surprise that it has happened again.

Danneee

Nintendo really want everyone to know that they no longer have any idea how to be relevant.
They should keep to doing hand held consoles and games, that way they could focus on one thing and that one thing they know how to do.

The Boat

I mean, Sony are just being themselves. Doing their own thing.

OK sure, but that doesn't take from my point. If Sony's typical MO is doing this, they're just doing what they need to do, it's good business. Hell, if anything, it's Nintendo that's too focused in "doing their own thing" to see the shortcomings in their 3rd party relations.

I realize we don't have opposing opinions here, I just didn't see that point of your reply to my post :p

Nintendo's problem is they don't have third party relationships ingrained into their ecosystem. It's almost like they spend six months of a gen talking to developers and then go back into their shells and do their own thing

Box

I don't understand why it matters what's to blame here, especially when you've got to many different causes meeting together to explain the difficulties Nintendo is having.

Fredrik

Nintendo has been struggling with third party support since N64, I don't think it's Sony's fault, it's just that Nintendo dropped the ball back then and Sony picked it up and the only time Sony dropped it MS was there to pick it up instead of Nintendo.
It's a weird position to be in though, publishers have the weirdest excuses to not support them, they just can't win. I honestly doubt that they would get back the support even if they had the most powerful console, the best price, ads aimed toward adults and the best online service. It would just end with the excuse that only Nintendo's own games sell well on Nintendo platforms (which might've been true lately but only because they've usually been much better than anything third parties has ever release on their consoles since SNES - Capcom's GC exclusives are the odd exceptions)

I doubt that Sony is marketing 3rd party games.

Think about it this way: how much advertisement did you see for Dead Rising 3? Now, how much did you see for Zombi-U? They're both zombie-smasher titles released by publishers known for breaking the bank when it comes to advertising budgets, and both likely had similar development budgets as well.

Why was one so much more heavily promoted than the other?

Ding-Ding

Yeah, like it has nothing to do with being well behind in tech terms for 2 generations and absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo basically making non-Japanese 3rd parties jump through hoops in the 80's/90's, just to get a licence to develop games on a Nintendo platform (often the request was refused & Nintendo were called xenophobic on more than a few occasions).

So many western 3rd parties went bust or close to it because of Nintendo's actions in them days. Problem for Nintendo is alot of them people are in high positions now and they certainly haven't forgotten.

Not that it matters though, as Nintendo dont really act like they give a flying fuck anyway.

prwxv3

I do have to say that making it easy to port from ps3 to vita has done wonders to prevent most Japanese games from going to WiiU at least .

samar11

Why are people saying Sony is broke? Didn't they purchased EMI for like 2 billion or something and gakai for 350 million in 2012?
Do we know how much Sony has in the bank compared to Nintendo?

Why are people saying Sony is broke? Didn't they purchased EMI for like 2 billion or something and gakai for 350 million in 2012?
Do we know how much Sony has in the bank compared to Nintendo?

I believe their yearly reports for the last 4 or 5 years have been quite poor and that they have to announce debt and such

I find it ridiculous to blame Sony, or anyone else, for Nintendo's woes.

In all honesty, Nintendo has done a terrible job designing an appealing product for their target market, regardless of whether that market is hardcore gamers or casual gamers; they fail on both accounts. On one hand, their console is too underpowered and feature-lacking to appeal to hardcore gamers, and on the other hand, their console is too expensive and poorly marketed to appeal to the casual gamer.

Many people think Nintendo should change course by releasing a console technically capable of competing toe-to-toe with PS4 and Xbox One. I don't necessarily agree. While this route could be successful, this isn't necessarily the only option Nintendo has. If they chose to do so, Nintendo could release a relatively cheap console ($200) with backwards compatibility and a massive library of emulated NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube classics available for download at a reasonable price ($1-$3) and make bank with both hardcore and casual gamers. The problem is that Nintendo doesn't even have the foresight and initiative to even do this properly. As it stands, they have a relatively handicapped console that doesn't appeal to anyone except fans that are willing to pay a premium for first-party only titles. Unfortunately this isn't enough to pay the bills.

kasane

Why the fuck do people try to put the blame on others besides NINTENDO? Its all NINTENDOS fault its time to accept it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So its Sony's fault Nintendo gets no 3rd party support because they support 3rd party's multiplatform titles and Nintendo don't.....ok

Sera O

Banned
I expected something a lot shadier from the topic title.

When Sony tries to reduce barriers and Nintendo doesn't, this shouldn't be surprising. To frame it as "We're not performing as well because Sony exists and operates the way Sony does" is sort of weird - it's not like anyone is stopping Nintendo from changing its business processes or marketing strategies but Nintendo.

Part of the problem lies in Nintendo's hatred for the multiplatform game trend. 3rd party publishers wanted to release their games on every console, with little to no differences between them, and Nintendo always hated that (that I'm sure had to do with the days when Nintendo could rule their 3rd party devs with an iron fist, something they haven't been able to do since the mid 90's.) Back in 2001 at E3 Iwata said this:

"If that (keeps happening), the console business becomes a commodity business. There is no reason to choose one console over another, except price," he said. Then, he added, "it doesn't matter which machine you choose--they all play the same games."

I understand how he wanted Nintendo's consoles to be 'special' and offer things no other console could, and the 3rd party 'sameness' rubbed the company the wrong way. But this attitude just alienated 3rd parties even further. Yamauchi and Iwata were shoving 3rd party devs away for years into the arms of Sony and Microsoft, and the chickens have finally come home to roost now that Nintendo's first party games have started to cool in the eyes of gamers.

Top Bottom