• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

They're basically just giving us in the west the finger, since an android version actually does exist in the Asian market. Honestly I don't know what's stopping them other than wanting to be total dicks.

Yeah, it's the same deal with Ghost Trick and Final Fantasy Tactics; there's already an Android version that's stuck in Japan. Heck, the big HD update FFT got on iOS just implemented improvements that were originally made for the Android version.

Groof

Yeah, it's the same deal with Ghost Trick and Final Fantasy Tactics; there's already an Android version that's stuck in Japan. Heck, the big HD update FFT got on iOS just implemented improvements that were originally made for the Android version.

Ugh, is there even a proper reasoning behind all of this bull? Like, licensing stuff? Or is it just because they're scared of the big bad pirates and whatnot?

RM8

Kingdom Rush Frontiers and Rayman Jungle Run, two of the some best android games that you can purchase are on sale for $.99 each.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ironhidegames.android.kingdomrushfrontiers

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pastagames.ro1mobile
I grabbed Rayman, it's pretty good.

Sadly, even at that price, I don't feel like risking not enjoying Kingdom Rush Frontier as tower defense is a genre that has yet to prove enjoyable for me.

reKon

Banned
I grabbed Rayman, it's pretty good.

Sadly, even at that price, I don't feel like risking not enjoying Kingdom Rush Frontier as tower defense is a genre that has yet to prove enjoyable for me.

This series is better than any other tower defense and is one of the best games on Android. It's not just about towers, but it's about your use of heroes and all types of assortment of units. It's fun, challenging, and very addicting. The game has a ton of personality too. They put a lot of effort into small details like like the voicework for different units and sound effects. Both Kingdom games have a simple, but good artwork that works. It would be awesome if it was actually high res, but it's fine.

RM8

This series is better than any other tower defense and is one of the best games on Android. It's not just about towers, but it's about your use of heroes and all types of assortment of units. It's fun, challenging, and very addicting. The game has a ton of personality too. They put a lot of effort into small details like like the voicework for different units and sound effects. Both Kingdom games have a simple, but good artwork that works. It would be awesome if it was actually high res, but it's fine.
Lol. I'm hooked now :p

reKon

Banned
Lol. I'm hooked now :p

yeah, and I was shocked when I had reached the last level without realizing it because I was addicted and kept replaying levels until I three starred it. Tons of strategy/trial and error you get to try out in this game. The whole time I was thinking that the last level was crazy and then once I was the boss fight, that's when I started realizing that this was actually the end of the game. After that I've been going back and beating the different challenges as you can unlock most stars to upgrade your abilities and play the new levels that unlock. I haven't even gotten to play Frontiers yet, and that game is supposedly better in every way with leveling of individual heroes. No need to buy anything either.

mackattk

Haven't really played the first Kingdom rush much, but started playing frontiers last night and it is really good. I have played 4 levels so far, and 3 starred all of them. The fourth level I had to replay a few times until I got it right, even on Novice. I also started looking at the other heroes, and was kind of surprised at the prices of them. I probably won't touch the paid ones, but as good as this game is, it is kind of tempting. If they lowered the prices to $2-3 for each hero rather than $6-7, I would probably buy some. It is just hard to justify the price that they are going for.

RM8

Woah, I really hadn't enjoyed a phone game this much since Game Dev Story (which unlike this, has zero replay value). I'm so going to buy the first game once I'm done with it. The downside, after Kingdom Rush I'll probably go back to not enjoying tower defense games, lol. It's just so superior to every other game I've played in the genre.

I want a 3DS version :p

SumGamer

Can anyone recommend me some graphic intensive games? Just got Nexus 5 and wanting to test how it hold out against those.

chupon

I know this is a gaming thread, but thought I'd ask opinions here.

Is anyone still using a Galaxy Nexus? I am looking to upgrade and have had my eye on the Nexus 5, but VZW isn't releasing it. Thinking of switching carriers so looking at options.

reKon

Banned
I know this is a gaming thread, but thought I'd ask opinions here.

Is anyone still using a Galaxy Nexus? I am looking to upgrade and have had my eye on the Nexus 5, but VZW isn't releasing it. Thinking of switching carriers so looking at options.

Went from Verizon to T-Mobile. Has been good for me so far. So much more freedom.

chupon

Went from Verizon to T-Mobile. Has been good for me so far. So much more freedom.

How is their 4 G speed/coverage?

I have unlimited data on my VZW and I tether when I am on road trips. I use upwards of 16 GB a month so I'm a little hesistant if the 4G isn't as good.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So ARMA Tactics or Breach and Clear? Looking to scratch the tactical military itch on my Note 2.

Haven't tried ARMA, but I was unimpressed by B&C. I haven't tried Frozen Synapse but that has a badass reputation. If the "Military" theme isn't terribly important and you are just interested in a good strategy game, I suggest Walking Dead Assault. I had a blast with that.

Haven't tried ARMA, but I was unimpressed by B&C. I haven't tried Frozen Synapse but that has a badass reputation. If the "Military" theme isn't terribly important and you are just interested in a good strategy game, I suggest Walking Dead Assault. I had a blast with that.

its more tactics strategy then military. I was also looking at Walking Dead. Apparently I can't run Frozen Synapse on my phone. Thanks for the help.

reKon

Banned
How is their 4 G speed/coverage?

I have unlimited data on my VZW and I tether when I am on road trips. I use upwards of 16 GB a month so I'm a little hesistant if the 4G isn't as good.

Well I'm in Chicago. I get shitty reception at home when I'm inside. With Verizon I got decent reception when inside. I have the HTC One and in the T-Mobile version of sense, T-Mobile Wifi calling is baked in so I can text/call people when I'm connected to any Wifi. Therefore, I haven't really had issues when indoors. When I'm outside, I usually get LTE in most areas in Chicago area. Coverage isn't going to touch Verizon though for roadtrips. There was periods where I had reception for a long time, but then it cut out for a period when traveling from to Michigan and back. I don't think this will be an issue if you load start the navigation while you have a good connection and it downloads all the data. I tested the GPS on my Nexus 7 by entering the navigation info with the GPS turned on while on Wifi. I left the house and the GPS worked the entire way I drove (which was like 15 mins).

Hi, Andro-GAF,
I've finally received my Impulse bluetooth Controller. Well... Let's say that I've discovered only yesterday this review (http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...le-product-and-a-cautionary-kickstarter-tale/) and i do agree with them, both on the buttons and the difficulties of installation & play.
Really disappointed, and all the more than the beast looked cool on pics. I guess my weapon of choice for emulators and platformers will remain my Saturn pad...

Groof

The followup to the amazing Rayman Jungle Run is finally here! I've only played through the first couple of levels, but so far it's been totally worth the $3 they're charging. It's everything the first one was, but with so much added on top. There are IAP, but they're completely unobtrusive and are for buying Lums, which you can still get more of by replaying levels (which you'll probably be doing quite a bit) over again.
It also features Google Play Games achievements and leaderboards. As for cloud saving I have no idea. Totally worth it!

Google Play page: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubisoft.rayman.fiestarun

mackattk

Keep checking every few hours to see if they update Fiesta Run to be compatible with my Note 3.

Is there anyway to delete apps from the My Apps category on the google play store website? I have a ton of apps on there that I no longer want or need, and would like to clean it up.

RM8

Quite specific, but it might help some people: For some reason, my particular model of Xperia SP can't download some Gameloft games from Google Play, while other Xperia SP units can. Recent examples include Asphalt 8 and the new Thor game. But I just found I can buy them from Gameloft's own store from my phone, lol. Oh well, Gameloft had already helped me to get Asphalt 8 on my phone and I have no interest in the Thor game.

Dicer

Banned
I've been cranking out imperial parts in tiny death star but I can't seem to redeem them, am I missing something?

mackattk

I've been cranking out imperial parts in tiny death star but I can't seem to redeem them, am I missing something?

You have to wait for a mission to pop up to use the parts you are making. It should be a level that is not titled underneath the "Arrivals" level. Tap on that and see what it is currently asking for.

Getting a Nexus 7 today, any must have games to test it out on? Never really been big into Mobile gaming because phones just feel too small.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I've been playing Magic 2014, Talisman HD, and a little bit of Plants vs. Zombies 2. Are there any other strategy games you guys would recommend? It doesn't matter if it's CCG, a board game, or tower defense or grid based combat. I wasn't too impressed with Great Big War Game (and have several unfinished SRPG to play on PSP). I scoffed at Kingdom Rush in the past without even trying it but after playing and finishing Defender Quest on PC I think I am open to good tower defense. Is Kingdom Rush the one TD game to play? and what version is best?

reKon

Banned
I've been playing Magic 2014, Talisman HD, and a little bit of Plants vs. Zombies 2. Are there any other strategy games you guys would recommend? It doesn't matter if it's CCG, a board game, or tower defense or grid based combat. I wasn't too impressed with Great Big War Game (and have several unfinished SRPG to play on PSP). I scoffed at Kingdom Rush in the past without even trying it but after playing and finishing Defender Quest on PC I think I am open to good tower defense. Is Kingdom Rush the one TD game to play? and what version is best?

Play and beat the first KR then buy Frontiers. Thank me later.

RM8

Frontiers is the best phone game yet. Buy it. Anomaly Korea is pretty good too, but it's a reverse tower defense game :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svcKJSP_07Y

Just picked up Star Command for my OG N7. So far I'm loving it despite the fact that it drains my battery in record time. I really did not care for FTL, it was fun at first, but I didn't care for a lot of the design choices and flow of the game which ultimately made me hate it.

SC is much more my cup of tea, though it could still use some work. Mostly just more, more ships, rooms upgrades, exploration, etc. There's still a lot there and lots of hours of play, but I would like a bit more freedom. I love the look and humor. It's so far the closest thing to scratching that Infinite Space itch I've had for 5 years now.

Combat is a joke on beginner, nothing can touch you, but pretty good on normal. The minigames for firing your weapons are actually ok, at least for the Plasma and Machine Gun, Laser on the other is not so good, which is ok cause Lasers suck. It would be nice if combat was a bit more tactical with targeting and what not, but its still good as it is. At 2.99$ the game is a steal and I hope they keep improving it and I will definitely pick it up on PC. This game has a lot of potential.

I've been picking up dollars here and there using the Google Opinion Rewards app, and I've finally decide to "splurge" on Star Command. I enjoyed FTL a lot up to the endgame. I'm interested to see how SC is different and/or better.

I've been picking up dollars here and there using the Google Opinion Rewards app, and I've finally decide to "splurge" on Star Command. I enjoyed FTL a lot up to the endgame. I'm interested to see how SC is different and/or better.

Keep those expectations nice and low. Star Command is a mindnumbingly dull and uninspired game.

mturco

Keep those expectations nice and low. Star Command is a mindnumbingly dull and uninspired game.

Sadly I agree. The gameplay is repetitive and boring. The default difficulty is a joke. You hardly take any damage throughout the entire game. On top of all of this, it's extremely short. Pretty disappointing.

Top Bottom