• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

currently playing both clash of clans and castle clash. in coc, if you spent gems during the tutorial, i'd advise starting over (unless you plan to just buy gems). castle clash is more relaxing with gems in both how you spend and how you acquire. they give them out like candy and (imo) you never feel forced to spend them. in coc, i'm about 10 gems away from the third builder, which i'm absolutely dying for (i have about 2 weeks worth of build time that needs to be done). castle clash, i got the 3rd builder without even trying and i don't even need it like i need one in coc. (btw, i started castle about a week after coc).

that being said, i do feel that coc is the better game, at least for me. it's slower, yes, but more balanced and strategic. castle has a lot of action, but i find it much too easy. i've won 100% of raids without even trying. due to the mechanics, i'm also raiding at least 10x more than i do in coc (troops are persistent, whereas coc you lose them every battle win or lose).

the significant difference between games for me is not heroes, but matchmaking. coc separates level and ranking, whereas castle they are the same. coc, you really can't make a mistake with planning/development because you are ranked based on battle performance, not development. castle, if you develop your base/army the wrong way, you'll see the consequences in battle. you can't restart either unlike coc, i've tried.

coc, yes, there are many high level "farmers" who lower their rank on purpose to pick on low levels. imo, this is offset by the reward/level ratio. however, to me this is more interesting because already you get to learn about mid/high level strats and are already part of the "real" game. castle, i feel like i'm just steamrolling through an endless sea of low levels until maybe in a few weeks i'll get to play with the big boys. i suppose, i could purposely level up prematurely, but i don't see why i'd want to gimp myself. (as i said, no undoing mistakes because it's hard to lower your level/might compared to coc's ranking system).

all that being said, it almost sounds like i dislike castle clash, which is untrue. still playing and enjoying both. i think castle is more casual/loose and action-oriented; coc is more refined and strategic.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Pretty fun FPS so far in Dead Effect. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bulkypix.deadeffect I'm playing it on my Nexus 4, and I'm really wishing it had cloud saving so I could seamlessly try it out on my tablet.

So far, so good though. Gives me a sort of System Shock 2 vibe, including the 90's PC jank. The voice acting for the German dude, Wagner, is fucking hilarious. He's like a mix of Arnie and Dieter from Sprockets.

I enjoyed Dead Trigger and am looking forward to DT2, but this isn't actually like that. This is all single-player with legit missions and levels and everything. This isn't an arena shooter.

reKon

Banned
currently playing both clash of clans and castle clash. in coc, if you spent gems during the tutorial, i'd advise starting over (unless you plan to just buy gems). castle clash is more relaxing with gems in both how you spend and how you acquire. they give them out like candy and (imo) you never feel forced to spend them. in coc, i'm about 10 gems away from the third builder, which i'm absolutely dying for (i have about 2 weeks worth of build time that needs to be done). castle clash, i got the 3rd builder without even trying and i don't even need it like i need one in coc. (btw, i started castle about a week after coc).

that being said, i do feel that coc is the better game, at least for me. it's slower, yes, but more balanced and strategic. castle has a lot of action, but i find it much too easy. i've won 100% of raids without even trying. due to the mechanics, i'm also raiding at least 10x more than i do in coc (troops are persistent, whereas coc you lose them every battle win or lose).

the significant difference between games for me is not heroes, but matchmaking. coc separates level and ranking, whereas castle they are the same. coc, you really can't make a mistake with planning/development because you are ranked based on battle performance, not development. castle, if you develop your base/army the wrong way, you'll see the consequences in battle. you can't restart either unlike coc, i've tried.

coc, yes, there are many high level "farmers" who lower their rank on purpose to pick on low levels. imo, this is offset by the reward/level ratio. however, to me this is more interesting because already you get to learn about mid/high level strats and are already part of the "real" game. castle, i feel like i'm just steamrolling through an endless sea of low levels until maybe in a few weeks i'll get to play with the big boys. i suppose, i could purposely level up prematurely, but i don't see why i'd want to gimp myself. (as i said, no undoing mistakes because it's hard to lower your level/might compared to coc's ranking system).

all that being said, it almost sounds like i dislike castle clash, which is untrue. still playing and enjoying both. i think castle is more casual/loose and action-oriented; coc is more refined and strategic.

How many legendary heroes do you have?

linsivvi

For me, it was the same as Angry Birds. I've played tons of games like CoC and AB but those two still entertain me way more than the others. I fucking hate iaps but goddamn these games are addictive.

e: maybe i'm a brand slave

Yeah Angry Bird was the first game of its type that got everything right, helped with it being an IOS app instead of a Flash game. Not hating on these games it's just that I've spent a few months super addicted to a game like CoC on Kongregate before so I'm not going through that again. Games like that are like crack. Once you started you cannot stop.

Besides, I'm already addicted to Puzzle and Dragons.

reKon

Banned
Yeah Angry Bird was the first game of its type that got everything right, helped with it being an IOS app instead of a Flash game. Not hating on these games it's just that I've spent a few months super addicted to a game like CoC on Kongregate before so I'm not going through that again. Games like that are like crack. Once you started you cannot stop.

Besides, I'm already addicted to Puzzle and Dragons.

I didn't even know that CoC started on that web site. That's pretty incredible that we got that game from there along with the best tower defense game IMO, Kingdom Rush...

If these games were available in high school, I would have played that shit daily.

linsivvi

I didn't even know that CoC started on that web site. That's pretty incredible that we got that game from there along with the best tower defense game IMO, Kingdom Rush...

If these games were available in high school, I would have played that shit daily.

Oh, CoC didn't start there, but a few years ago there were quite a few games like that on Facebook and Kongregate, with similar iap systems, and clan wars could get quite hostile. I don't even go to Kongregate any more now that mobile gaming took over.

None of those games were as good as CoC though.

aravuus

Decided to give Castle Clash a try too thanks to ihearthawthats' post and lol

it's almost a 1:1 copy of CoC. No matter though, now I have more to get addicted over. CC doesn't seem to have notifications though which is a shame.

HBP

it's almost a 1:1 copy of CoC. No matter though, now I have more to get addicted over. CC doesn't seem to have notifications though which is a shame.

Best thing about CoC for me is that it's cross platform which is awesome because I have an iPhone and an Android tablet.

reKon

Banned
Best thing about CoC for me is that it's cross platform which is awesome because I have an iPhone and an Android tablet.

Yeah that is impressive. I still try to do the bare minimum to make sure my upgrading path is proper and I have a strong base that produces a lot of resources until I actually decide to really play this game.

I haven't been able to get into CoC because 1) Having two builders sucks 2) The combat isn't as fun because of the lack of heroes so far, IMO.

In Castle Clash, I have a pretty good combination of heroes and strong decently strong troops. Let me know if you need any tips for Castle Clash btw for anyone just starting. You need to do what you can to get a legendary team of heroes. You don't need to buy high level walls. You just get good heroes (even if not legendary) and level them early and continuously farm for shards to at least get a cheaper legendary. You don't need to spend a dime either.

No it's not quite a 1:1 copy because I've played some of the other 1:1 copy games of CoC that does it even worse. It was literally like they just reskinned the entire game. Even the fucking tutorial was copied, lol.

In fact I just found it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.mail.games.android.JungleHeat&hl=en

R1CHO

Pretty fun FPS so far in Dead Effect. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bulkypix.deadeffect I'm playing it on my Nexus 4, and I'm really wishing it had cloud saving so I could seamlessly try it out on my tablet.

So far, so good though. Gives me a sort of System Shock 2 vibe, including the 90's PC jank. The voice acting for the German dude, Wagner, is fucking hilarious. He's like a mix of Arnie and Dieter from Sprockets.

I enjoyed Dead Trigger and am looking forward to DT2, but this isn't actually like that. This is all single-player with legit missions and levels and everything. This isn't an arena shooter.

Downloading, but what is the catch? Why is it free?

Horseticuffs

Downloading, but what is the catch? Why is it free?

You can pay to upgrade your gear, or upgrade it with currency you find. Also the game is, to me, balls hard and the only way you can continue in-level without starting over is by paying $5 for an Auto-heal upgrade that constantly drips you health and will resuscitate you. If it had been .99 cents or something I might have gone for it, but fuck right off with that $5 bullshit.

I mean, hell, Dead Trigger 2 comes out tomorrow and I'm pretty darned sure that MadFinger will get it right.

aravuus

No it's not quite a 1:1 copy because I've played some of the other 1:1 copy games of CoC that does it even worse. It was literally like they just reskinned the entire game. Even the fucking tutorial was copied, lol.

In fact I just found it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.mail.games.android.JungleHeat&hl=en

Haha oh man, these people are truly shameless. Ah well, I guess it's easy money.

Anyway, Castle Clash starting tips would be appreciated. I've played it for a couple of hours now. I have two towers, three gold mines and three mana mills and a couple of other houses. Most buildings are around level 4-5.

Horseticuffs

Alrighty guys, get pumped because here is how I'm personally going to get myself through my work day!

https://www.madfingergames.com/deadtrigger2/ How much time until Dead Trigger 2 official countdown timer!

To me the "Auto-fire when your gun crosses an enemy" feature is akin to the "Auto-Accelerate" feature that a lot of mobile racers have now. It's brilliant, really. Sure it takes away control but on this platform sometimes you need to think outside the box.

How many times is your gun going to cross a zombie when you WOULDN'T want to shoot? Just like in a racer, how often are you NOT going to want to be accelerating? To me, making those things happen automatically only sort of makes sense.

-Amon-

To me the "Auto-fire when your gun crosses an enemy" feature is akin to the "Auto-Accelerate" feature that a lot of mobile racers have now. It's brilliant, really. Sure it takes away control but on this platform sometimes you need to think outside the box.

You must be joking.

marvel puzzle quest got a significant update. each ability now only needs 5 cards to max, rather than the previous 20. pve mission rewards are now also typically "reward tokens" rather than preset character cards. these are redeemed in the recruit hero page for a random standard card.

it's a much better system now for upgrading and maxing abilities. only downside i can see is being unlucky with unwanted duplicates. i regret selling a lot of cards. i sold venom, bagman, storm, juggs, even wolvie, with the intent that i'll never use em. but now with the random generation, i might as well upgrade them seeing as i'll prolly get a lot of their cards now.

did anyone manage to get cap? i got him, but his abilities seem pretty lame.

Anyway, Castle Clash starting tips would be appreciated. I've played it for a couple of hours now. I have two towers, three gold mines and three mana mills and a couple of other houses. Most buildings are around level 4-5.
focus on army camps. in coc, you need barracks + camp + tower to fulfill the same role a single army camp in castle clash fulfills.

units, basic mechanics are rock-paper-scissors, with the treants being a special outlier and for the most part unecessary. due to the surrounding mechanics, i wouldn't try to balance equally between all 4 units. choose 1 or 2 units and focus upgrades on them alone.

do the dailies. you'll get 30 gems a day easy for doing them. buying a hero costs 150 gems. i wouldn't bother gambling on using hb to buy heroes at that stage. instead, hb is much needed to level up your heroes.

spam arenas. win or lose you get hb and losing has no negative consequences afaik.

spells imo are worth it if you have an aggressive playstyle. units take time to build, spells don't. if you can use spells smartly so that your units don't die and you can attack consecutively without downtime, then that would be worth it.

mackattk

Stopped playing Marvel Puzzle quest when I upgraded my phone. It was the only app that I couldn't backup with helium to port over the save data to my Note 3. There is no type of account system either, so if you switch phones or something happens that causes you to lose your save data, there isn't a way to recover it AFAIK.

Maybe I will start it back up at some point.

Stopped playing Marvel Puzzle quest when I upgraded my phone. It was the only app that I couldn't backup with helium to port over the save data to my Note 3. There is no type of account system either, so if you switch phones or something happens that causes you to lose your save data, there isn't a way to recover it AFAIK.

Maybe I will start it back up at some point.

Pretty sure connecting it to Facebook saves/syncs your progress. I also use Helium, but when I flashed a different ROM, I resumed my progress. It warned me that data was found on Facebook and that it could overwrite my current progress (which was nothing at the time, since I just flashed a new ROM and Helium didn't restore anything); I allowed it to overwrite, and boom, back to where I was before changing ROMs.

mackattk

Pretty sure connecting it to Facebook saves/syncs your progress. I also use Helium, but when I flashed a different ROM, I resumed my progress. It warned me that data was found on Facebook and that it could overwrite my current progress (which was nothing at the time, since I just flashed a new ROM and Helium didn't restore anything); I allowed it to overwrite, and boom, back to where I was before changing ROMs.

I still have my old phone, but haven't sold it yet (Nexus 4). I honestly never knew the facebook option existed.. No prompt ever came up for me on my old phone or when I reinstalled it on my Note 3, and never saw any mention of Facebook when I was playing it. I will take a look when I get home and see what I can find. Thanks.

jombag

Cool! Is this Moga compatible?

I still have my old phone, but haven't sold it yet (Nexus 4). I honestly never knew the facebook option existed.. No prompt ever came up for me on my old phone or when I reinstalled it on my Note 3, and never saw any mention of Facebook when I was playing it. I will take a look when I get home and see what I can find. Thanks.

Unlike most games, they're not super obnoxious about it. Tap the gear icon near the top left corner before you get into the actual game to open the game settings, and there's a "Connect with Facebook" option.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm gonna be seriously surprised if it doesn't.

From Verge's review (iOS):

The good news, though, is that the game and its structure aren't really hurt by the shift to free-to-play. At no point while playing did I feel the need to drop some real money on the game, since PvZ 2 is surprisingly generous with its in-game currencies. One of the biggest new additions is plant food, a power-up that essentially turns any plant into a super-powered weapon for a brief period of time; peashooters fire more bullets in crazy patterns, while snapdragons let loose with gigantic fireballs. You can collect plant food by killing green, glowing zombies; I often had more than I needed. You can also buy plant food using in-game coins (which in turn can be bought with real-world cash) but, again, I regularly found myself with more coins than I knew what to do with. It doesn’t ever feel like you have to buy something.

Accessing certain paths or opening up a new map requires either keys or stars; keys drop randomly in battle, while stars are earned by playing through a level multiple times and achieving certain goals. (Both can also be purchased with cash.) On the surface it seems like the game is forcing you to grind through old levels constantly if you don’t want to fork out some money, but in practice it really doesn't feel like a chore at all. Each time you play a level in search of a star it feels completely different; the rules are tweaked, and sometimes the level is even set up differently, providing a fresh experience.

I'm downloading it now. I loved the original PvZ.

aravuus

Maybe it isn't that bad then.

I'll try it out.. As soon as I fucking can. What's up with the region/country locks anyway?

Horseticuffs

Argh! Fucking Madfinger contributing to the Android ghetto by having a big countdown for launch and not even mentioning it was iOS only and that we'd launch at some random time today :-[

I'm just pissy. They're awesome developers and put out fine games, I am just mad disappointed :-(

kmfdmpig

Argh! Fucking Madfinger contributing to the Android ghetto by having a big countdown for launch and not even mentioning it was iOS only and that we'd launch at some random time today :-[

I'm just pissy. They're awesome developers and put out fine games, I am just mad disappointed :-(

DT2 is out now. I downloaded it just a few minutes ago, but haven't tried it yet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dead Trigger 2

10448995406_b8cb0391f2_o.png

10449014335_cc8b35cbe1_o.png

10448975784_83bf6f9033_o.png

10448990246_12c6cdcdc6_o.png

Horseticuffs

Running Dead Trigger 2 on high on my Nexus 4 right now and it's working a treat! Great fun so far but now I've gotta head home :-( I'm gonna put tons of time into this tonight and tomorrow.

jombag

Dead Trigger 2 is awesome but you need internet connection for the game to start. Hoping they update it for offline mode.

Vanillalite

So Dead Trigger 2 hit the Google Play store this evening, and I decided to give it a go. For the record I'm playing it on the Nexus 7 2013 edition.

First off graphics defaulted to low, but I switched it to high. That's the only thing I did though. I didn't mess with the default controls or the sensitivity.

Game starts out slow. Kind of gets you into the groove of things as well as fills out your party that exists in pre/post game where you get new weps/items and upgrade what you have. Starts you off with dual sticks that aren't locked into position and a wrench. Then when you get in range with the range it auto swings.

Next mission introduced a pistol, and the same deal applied. You got cross hairs, and when you got in rage they turned from saying you were out of range to white saying you are in range. Finally it hooks you up with a sub machine gun. Works just like the previous two. Only wep I found where I had to press to fire was these stationary missions where you were defending an area via a sniper rife.

Controls weren't perfect, but I gotta say I had way less issue here than I ever had trying to play Shadowgun. Maybe the default sensitivity is just better for me. Maybe it's the game pacing and setup. Either way while the controls are hardly what I'd like it's the best dual stick shooter I've tried so far control wise.

That being said as I slowly progressed and tried some of the side missions (which might just be harder) not having controller or m/kb controls definitely was a hindrance when the game pumped up the zombie volume.

Overall missions seem semi varied and the time length is rather short which can be seen as good for quick missions on the go. I'm early yet to know if this eventually turns from F2P to P2W.

If you have any questions ask away and I'll try my best to answer.

So guys, I picked up a Nexus 7 last night, and was wondering what you guys would recommend for tablet gaming on Android? I have an HTC One already, so I was hoping for recommendations specifically for games more suited to a larger screen.

Horseticuffs

So guys, I picked up a Nexus 7 last night, and was wondering what you guys would recommend for tablet gaming on Android? I have an HTC One already, so I was hoping for recommendations specifically for games more suited to a larger screen.

Hop on the Dead Trigger 2 bandwagon! Awesome graphics, awesome gameplay! Also I highly recommend Walking Dead Assault. For my money it's the best RTS game on tablets!

Vanillalite

FIFA, Madden, Dead Trigger 2, PVZ2, Asphalt 8, Rayman Jungle Run, Professor Layton Mystery Room

RM8

I'm not sure if it's any good, but Real Boxing looks okay and apparently it's on sale. Sadly it's not compatible with either of my phones, only with my tablet :(

Top Bottom