• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well I pulled the trigger and spent my $5 credit.

10120485346_d021dc14cb_o.png
10120477216_52da3fbc1d_o.png
10120483596_6faa93e451_o.png

SKINNER!

Banned
Oooh! That Rayman looks cool.

Decided to pick up Jet Set Radio earlier this week.Managed to get a spare afternoon today to play it and discovered that it doesn't work on my phone :( Gotta email Sega now asking why. I was looking forward to it too.

Supposedly you can get it early if you want to do some fiddling. Like it's out in Australia and NZ and you can get it if you create some folders or something on your device and then side load the apk.

i have it sideloaded but would like to legit download it so i can log into my G+ account and spam scores and stuff

I've never understood why Google doesn't invest in having big Android exclusives like Apple does on IOS with games like Infinity Blade.

Seems like a dumb move on their part.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Decided to pick up Jet Set Radio earlier this week.Managed to get a spare afternoon today to play it and discovered that it doesn't work on my phone :( Gotta email Sega now asking why. I was looking forward to it too.

Wow, the score for that port is really low, looks like compatibility and freezing issues can happen to just about anyone. I was considering picking it up since I could use another game or two on my HTC One.

Seeeeggaaaa :(

SKINNER!

Banned
Interestingly, Crazy Taxi is playable but it's running a little faster than usual. Really hope Sega fixes JSR though. Should've read the reviews first.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've never understood why Google doesn't invest in having big Android exclusives like Apple does on IOS with games like Infinity Blade.

Seems like a dumb move on their part.

It isn't how they make money. People forget like 90% of the shit Googs does isn't for money just eyeballs. They are still all about that ad revenue.

What are the best card games / trading card games? The artstyles of the two in the OP don't really appeal to me and I searched the thread and couldn't find anything else (searching for "card" or "tcg")

Chipotle

I'm ill and likely to be for a few days. Any recommendations for stuff suitable lying in bed feeling rotten? I've downloaded the card games in the OP and have already played the kairosoft games and plague inc a lot.

Basically stuff that is slow paced and where it doesn't matter if I fall asleep.

Oh, and my phone is a HTC One S nothing too demanding

HBP

FYI Clash of Clans seems to be opened up to more devices/regions now, it says compatible with my Galaxy Tab 2 now.

reKon

Banned
I'll Clash of Clans out later, but I dunno if I'll stick with it because I'm so invested in Castle Clash right now..

Any other Simpson's Tapped Out users here? Mind adding me? ID = vinceswall87

ID = HigXx

I think it'd be really good to start a thread for Tapped Out, I looked and I couldn't find one
just started playing but added both of you. what kind of multiplayer functionality does this game have? just visiting towns?

wakuraku, if anyone else wants to add me.

What are the best card games / trading card games? The artstyles of the two in the OP don't really appeal to me and I searched the thread and couldn't find anything else (searching for "card" or "tcg")
i'd like to know this too. the two i've had my eyes on were the tekken one and the one by gamevil. tekken one seems cool but its over a 100mb and is 3d. don't really want a battery drainer.

marvel puzzle quest got an update. iron man got buffed (imo) which is weird since he was already one of the best 1-star heroes early game. hawkeye got kinda buffed too, which he needed, but still kinda seems to suck.

just tried out clash of clans. seems okay. anyone planning on a gaf guild?

How is GTAIII and VC on a gamepad? How are the controls? I don't think I could ever play these games as touch only controls, but with the pad, I definitely want to replay them.

Also, I read that the original release of the game had some features cut off due to limitations of the devices at the time:

Due to the technical limitations of mobile devices, a number of cosmetic features have been altered or removed from the game. However, the iPad version does not have these limitations.
Many lights do not show, including vehicle headlights, brake lights, lightbars on emergency vehicles, street lights and traffic lights. However, the game still operates as if these lights were correctly functional - so vehicles move over when a siren is sounding, and stop in turn for a red light that does not show.
This functionality was present in the iPhone version of GTA Chinatown Wars, and in all other versions of GTA III. However, GTA III is a more resource-heavy game than GTA Chinatown Wars due to its age and featureset, so it appears this functionality was removed to reserve the limited resources on those mobile devices for other, more important functionality.

but those features are there on ipad. Are those things now on the latest android phones/tablets too, or no?

anddo0

How is GTAIII and VC on a gamepad? How are the controls? I don't think I could ever play these games as touch only controls, but with the pad, I definitely want to replay them.

Can't speak on VC, since it doesn't support my Xperia Z tablet. But GTA 3 runs flawlessly. I use the DS3, and there are no compromises to controls.

Doczu

Anyone who loves FTL or a nice space sim/strategy should buy Star Command. That game is crack. But play it on the highest difficulty, anything lower than that doesn't do any justice. On the lowest the enemies can't even break your shields.

SKINNER!

Banned
Speaking of Android gamepad... just saw this on my feed - only in JP i think:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00880WBHE/

Just looks like a flimsy Moga Pro which I don't really want to get but it looks like it's the only decent android controller currently in the market. Can anyone recommend any decent, portable controllers?

Probably never going to happen considering the different android phones available but I wish there was something like the Bladepad for the Z1. Got to try it at TGS and it was quite sturdy. Unsure how comfortable it is after an hour of gaming though.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Really having fun with Deep Dungeons of Doom today. I even bought the expansion dungeons. Really love the art work and atmosphere.

It's pixel art, really well done. I just finished a stunning green water dungeon.

It's freemium but it isn't a hard sell. You earn money easily enough, and the only thing I bought was the additional content. It's really quite fun!

louiedog

Humble Bundle with Android 7

Pay What You Want ($1+ for Steam)
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Greed Corp
  • Incredipede
  • Anodyne
Beat the Average
  • Worms Reloaded (Worms 2: Armageddon for Android)
  • The Bard's Tale

Also, for those of you in the US, you can get 460 coins from the Amazon Appstore which is equivalent to $4.60 in credit to spend on Android apps by adding the following free games to your account:

Tarps

Heh your post was heaps better.
So are you going to go for the bundle? Bards tale seems to be well received...

kwheaties

Humble Bundle with Android 7

Pay What You Want ($1+ for Steam)
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Greed Corp
  • Incredipede
  • Anodyne
Beat the Average
  • Worms Reloaded (Worms 2: Armageddon for Android)
  • The Bard's Tale

Also, for those of you in the US, you can get 460 coins from the Amazon Appstore which is equivalent to $4.60 in credit to spend on Android apps by adding the following free games to your account:

Awesome! This will add nicely to my existing 540 coins!

Thanks!

Note: if it says incompatible, you can still tell it to install and get the coins.

If it possible to add a non kindle device to your amazon account?

Never mind. I figured out how. Wasn't immediately obvious.

Chairhome

How many players is Ticket to Ride? Just one on one?

This probably isn't any help, but the board game version is up to 4 players. Probably same amount of players for mobile version. Also, found this:
» SOLO and online game play on the classic Ticket to Ride USA map that made the original board game so compelling and popular
» In-game purchasing for all of the previously released digital maps and variants, including Asia, Europe, Switzerland, and USA 1910
» Four distinct AI personalities to compete against
» Players on Android can challenge rail barons playing on other platforms including Steam PC and Mac, iPad, and on Days of Wonder’s online portal
» Contextual in-game Conductor’s Notes to help you master all the maps

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Im feeling the pay to win pressure in Hero Academy..
That Team fortress team is murdering me.
I feel the same way in Deep Dungeons of Doom. Death comes quick and only perks are persistent. Equipment dies with you, as does literally 90% of your gold if you're lucky.

Shame to see such a great game with such harsh iAP.

Top Bottom