• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

awp69

Are the Cave shooters pulled from Google play? I can't find them and they're gone from my wish list...

I looked myself after getting that PayPal deal. Yeah, they seem to be gone :(

One small positive thing I found, Google Play is finally allowing you to combine credit with another form of payment. So you no longer have to wait for that credit you get from the surveys to be higher than the app you want to buy. (And if you aren't using the Google Opinion Survey app, you should...easy way to get some free games!)

anddo0

Never played any of these. Which should I go for? BG2 seems the best choice.

BG2 is a nice entry point.

The story and characters feel more complete if you play BG1 first though. It's similar to the 999/Zero's Last Escape debate.. You can fully enjoy one without the other, a few plot points will be lost on you, some references will completely fly over your head (nothing you can't YT).

So thanks to this thread I'm picking up Prune (looks beautiful!) and am probably going to try out Rayman Adventures. Are there any good retro RPGs out there like Pixel Dungeon?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hitman Sniper is overpriced at $.50. It's everything that's wrong in mobile gaming destroying an otherwise fun game.

I refunded it as soon as it needed Facebook to sync saves.

anddo0

More sales:
Minecraft Story Mode (Episode 1) - $0.10 (Regular: $4.99)
Castle of Illusion - $0.99 (Regular: $9.99)
Joe Danger - $0.99 (Regular: $2.97)
Monument Valley - $0.99 (Regular: $3.99)
Riptide GP2 - $0.49 (Regular: $1.99)
This War of Mine - $4.49 (Regular: $14.99)
Framed - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99)

Also, a bunch of Kemco RPGs are on sale for $0.99 (Regular $3.99).

These sales are so much better than Black Friday.

Any recommendations for any and every Android Games that work well with a controller.

From what I've played:

Wayward Souls
The Bards Tale
Tomb Raider 1 and 2
SNK games
GT Racing
Asphalt 8
Implosion
Modern Combat 4 and 5
World of Tanks
Dungeon Hunter 4 and 5
RipTide 2
ShadowGun
Dead Trigger
Meltdown
Xenowerk

I'm leaving out a bunch of titles.. But, controller support has come a long way.

Not sure when this was last updated
http://androidgamepadgames.com/games?tid=6&sort_by=title&sort_order=ASC

anddo0

Any thoughts on The Banner Saga?

I'm tempted. However, the game is coming out for PS4/Vita pretty soon (guessing it'll be $14.99)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Any thoughts on The Banner Saga?

I'm tempted. However, the game is coming out for PS4/Vita pretty soon (guessing it'll be $14.99)
Vita version is on an indefinite hold.

I thought it was a decent SRPG, but it ran like crap and was difficult to control on my HTC One M9. I uninstalled it before making much progress.

Chopper

I'm having alot of fun with Hitman Sniper. I was dubious, cos I'd heard there was only one map, but there is plenty to see and do. Thoroughly recommended, particularly at its current sale price.

How is Joe Danger on mobile?
Fantastic so far, I just picked it up myself.

Controls are easy and fun, no in-your-face IAP stuff, and it looks and runs great on my Note 4.

I wasn't a huge fan of Joe Danger on the PS3/Vita for some reason, if I remember right I just could get accustomed to the controls. But I'm having no issues with the mobile version so far.

Has anyone played Broken Age on the phone or tablet? If I buy it on the store, is it the whole thing? How is Grim Fandango on the phone or tablet?

reKon

Banned
I hate how I can never know whether there's a sale on the telltale walking dead games..

I don't want to play that shit on my PS4. I'd rather play through those games on my tablet while I'm traveling

BIGWORM

Pulled the...trigger...on Hitman: GO.

Played a few maps of that, and instantly bought Lara Croft: GO. Currently enjoying both of these games thoroughly.

autoduelist

So Santa gave me a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.

I don't know a thing about this -- I used to have a gen1 Ipad but sold it after I could no longer update the OS.

i know this isn't the latest and greatest, but is it still powerful enough to play most games?

Also -- I already have a Vita, consoles, and a laptop.... but I still want games for this.

Can someone recommend some? Cheap or free preferred, though nothing to IAP heavy.

Match 3 -- especially with rpg elements. Has anyone 'perfected' the genre in the years since I played Dungeon Raid?

Card Battle -- I noticed a couple in the OP worth looking into, but cutting to the chase... best card battle game I can get for, say, $3 or less?

Tower Defense -- know all the old school favs like kingdom rush. Anything I need to check out?

Also -- I use to really like Battleheart... has any game evolved this genre considerably?

And last...something tactical?

Thanks for anyone who feels like answering, and sorry for newbing up the thread... buying into an ecosystem i haven't paid any attention to is hard and overwhelming, especially when I've already got wishlists from several other ecosystems fighting for brain space.

autoduelist

Posting again since it's been a day since I last posted so editing doesn't make sense...

Thanks to a post somewhere in this thread i discovered Amazon Undergound. Wow. Impressed by the range.

Anyone know of any hidden gems in there? i googled about and found one not-so-good reddit thread on it, but i'm wondering if people here can suggest stuff.

Posting again since it's been a day since I last posted so editing doesn't make sense...

Thanks to a post somewhere in this thread i discovered Amazon Undergound. Wow. Impressed by the range.

Anyone know of any hidden gems in there? i googled about and found one not-so-good reddit thread on it, but i'm wondering if people here can suggest stuff.

Well KOTOR is free on underground so there is that.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Edit: The problem fixed itself after a while.

So the other day I bought Hitman Sniper on my Nexus 7. Then I loaded up my Dragon Touch Android tablet today and went to the Play store to find my Hitman Sniper license, and when I tell it to install it asks me to purchase again for $0.50.

Is that expected behavior? I thought this was buy-once-use-anywhere. :(

Edit: Just checked, and it looks like if I try this on my Moto X phone, the download appears to try to go without asking me to pay again.

Could this be an issue with Android 4.4.4 (tablet that asks me to pay again) versus Android 5.x (Moto X) and Android 6.0.1 (Nexus 7)?

Finally trying out Soda Dungeon and its really awesome. Can't believe it's taken me this long to play it. I bought Deep Dungeons of Doom back when it was on sell, and played it nearly everyday, but it's hard going back to it. I much, much prefer the gameplay of Soda. I'm hoping the devs of both games add cloud saves because I'll be switching phones soon and I don't plan on starting over in either. I made it pretty far in Deep, and I'm already at level 100 in Soda.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Guys, I have $25 in promotional credit at the Amazon App Store that expires by the time the ball drops in Times Square. I've dragged my feet all month about finding something to use it on. Suggest to me games that cost money, please!

I have a Galaxy S5, by the way. My only cell phone games have been Angry Birds (of course), Sky Burger (fun little game), a couple Flappy Bird clones and Star Wars Commander on my girlfriend's iPhone, which was OK. Oh, and I downloaded a demo of Sonic CD once, which was kind of cool, but touch screen controls ugh.

Guys, I have $25 in promotional credit at the Amazon App Store that expires by the time the ball drops in Times Square. I've dragged my feet all month about finding something to use it on. Suggest to me games that cost money, please!

I have a Galaxy S5, by the way. My only cell phone games have been Angry Birds (of course), Sky Burger (fun little game), a couple Flappy Bird clones and Star Wars Commander on my girlfriend's iPhone, which was OK. Oh, and I downloaded a demo of Sonic CD once, which was kind of cool, but touch screen controls ugh.

Well, first and foremost, there's Minecraft Pocket Edition, which never goes on sale, so it can be picked up any time without worrying about price drops.

PC/Console port/remake-wise, there's the Grand Theft Auto series (III, Vice City, San Andreas, Chinatown Wars); Final Fantasy (III-VI, though it's important to note that Square Enix doesn't keep the updates on Amazon in sync with the Play Store, meaning it took months before Amazon users got versions that worked with Android 5.0 and gamepad support); Sonic 2 is a good remake with plenty of bonuses; Ticket To Ride is a good port that supports Cross-Buy with its DLC, as long as it's linked to your Days of Wonder account; Gemini Rue is a point-and-click adventure that should theoretically work well on the touchscreen (there are other point-and-clicks on the store page).

For more mobile-focused stuff, there's Leo's Fortune, which people seem to be positive towards; Lifeline, a text adventure that's also gotten some positive impressions; 10000000 and its sequel You Must Build A Boat are addictive Match-3/RPG hybrid games; I would wholeheartedly recommend 80 Days, but it seems that the version up on Amazon is currently exclusive to Kindle devices; there's also Framed, an interesting puzzle/action game that involves moving comic panels around; Wayward Souls is a dungeon-crawler that's been recommended for a long time; same with the addictive puzzler Threes. Finally, there's the Kairosoft games, which can be good, though they tend to repeat their genres, with only a different topic (e.g. Pocket League Story, Grand Prix Story, and Pocket Stables basically have the same sports-management gameplay, so I'd recommend picking the one with the topic that interests you the most).

kmfdmpig

Finally trying out Soda Dungeon and its really awesome. Can't believe it's taken me this long to play it. I bought Deep Dungeons of Doom back when it was on sell, and played it nearly everyday, but it's hard going back to it. I much, much prefer the gameplay of Soda. I'm hoping the devs of both games add cloud saves because I'll be switching phones soon and I don't plan on starting over in either. I made it pretty far in Deep, and I'm already at level 100 in Soda.

Yes, Soda Dungeon has been a blast so far. It's addictive, fun and surprisingly deep.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Well, first and foremost, there's Minecraft Pocket Edition, which never goes on sale, so it can be picked up any time without worrying about price drops.

PC/Console port/remake-wise, there's the Grand Theft Auto series (III, Vice City, San Andreas, Chinatown Wars); Final Fantasy (III-VI, though it's important to note that Square Enix doesn't keep the updates on Amazon in sync with the Play Store, meaning it took months before Amazon users got versions that worked with Android 5.0 and gamepad support); Sonic 2 is a good remake with plenty of bonuses; Ticket To Ride is a good port that supports Cross-Buy with its DLC, as long as it's linked to your Days of Wonder account; Gemini Rue is a point-and-click adventure that should theoretically work well on the touchscreen (there are other point-and-clicks on the store page).

For more mobile-focused stuff, there's Leo's Fortune, which people seem to be positive towards; Lifeline, a text adventure that's also gotten some positive impressions; 10000000 and its sequel You Must Build A Boat are addictive Match-3/RPG hybrid games; I would wholeheartedly recommend 80 Days, but it seems that the version up on Amazon is currently exclusive to Kindle devices; there's also Framed, an interesting puzzle/action game that involves moving comic panels around; Wayward Souls is a dungeon-crawler that's been recommended for a long time; same with the addictive puzzler Threes. Finally, there's the Kairosoft games, which can be good, though they tend to repeat their genres, with only a different topic (e.g. Pocket League Story, Grand Prix Story, and Pocket Stables basically have the same sports-management gameplay, so I'd recommend picking the one with the topic that interests you the most).

Thank you. Great post. I got Sonic 2, Super Monkey Ball 2, a couple Kemco RPGs for the heck of it (Grinsia and Symphony of the Origin) and the Star Wars Dice app that I'm going to use with the X-Wing Miniatures Game. I still have $4 left (plus $5 in Amazon Coins that Amazon randomly sent me) so I'm close to pulling the trigger on Minecraft, which I've never played but my little cousins keep breathlessly telling me I must whenever I see them at family gatherings. I always kinda figured it would be best to play on PC rather than consoles or cell phones, though.

I already have all the GTAs on Steam and all of those Final Fantasies on GBA or DS (except 6, grrr) so I'm not too interested in getting them on my Galaxy.

Alternatively, I could save my Coins and get something for $4 like Pocket Academy, which looks like it would kinda satisfy that SimCity itch.

[edit] Went with Mega Mall Story, LoL. Thanks for suggesting Kairosoft games! And everything else! I checked out nearly all of it.

autoduelist

Hoplite has been the only game to 'wow' me so far. Free for the first 16 levels of the dungeon, the game is both simplistic yet deep -- you have a very limited moveset, though upgrade over time. If you like tactics / strategy at all, get this and try it for free. It's the only game I absolutely love so far.

Card Crawl got some heavy recommendations on review sites... I like it, but don't love it. I beat it every time, and I'm not sure if it's worth buying the full version given I don't know if there is going to be any increase in challenge.
[sadly, I seem to have missed the 'actually free' version in the Amazon Underground app, since it shows up there but w/o a buy button. The game is cool though -- you need to clear a deck full of items and monsters by careful play --- sort of like a dungeon solitaire game.

I'm really searching for good games to try. I had an ipad before and didn't like the hole i fell into, playing bad free games for 30 minutes trying/hoping to find a good one, and I feel myself doing that again.

There are quite a few games I want to try after reading some review sites, but they all sit at $5-9 which is a bit too much for me to take a chance on.

Soda Dungeon. I both love and hate this game. It's the second game I discovered (after Hoplite), and i instantly fell in love.

I deleted it when I got to dimension 6. I didn't -want- to delete it, because it's crack, but I found myself just setting up a team, putting my tablet in the charger, and doing something else for an hour or two.

The feedback loop and lewt rewards were just so good, I was playing by not playing. Hours and hours and hours of it. I had everything upgraded except for a few VIP purchases... and I enjoyed finding new lewt... but.... I'd set up my team, start em up on level 400 or 500 or whatever, let them grind for an hour, hoping I found some new lewt... [except near boss battles, where I'd manage my team].

I couldn't justify playing by not playing anymore. I had to delete it. I miss it. It's so good, but it made me feel like a gerbil spinning in a wheel.

I do love that it's free. I also feel the desire to re-install sometimes, but the fact I'd have to start over [thankfully] kills that desire.

autoduelist

Card Crawl got some heavy recommendations on review sites... I like it, but don't love it. I beat it every time, and I'm not sure if it's worth buying the full version given I don't know if there is going to be any increase in challenge.
[sadly, I seem to have missed the 'actually free' version in the Amazon Underground app, since it shows up there but w/o a buy button. The game is cool though -- you need to clear a deck full of items and monsters by careful play --- sort of like a dungeon solitaire game.

UPDATE:

Whoa, I must have just searched for it before it went up officially... today it's available free on Underground and is also 'featured', so I think I just happened to find the profile page as it was going up.

i've put more hours into this game -- and now I can recommend it.

There's a deck of 54 cards containing weapons, shields, special skills, and such. dealer deals 4 at a time to you, and you need to 'use' them in a way where you survive the entire deck. Over many games, you can unlock many many more skill cards, eventually can build your own decks, do challenges, and such. Once you unlock every card there's also a win streak leaderboard.

i've also found trying to do challenges definitely makes it harder (i've been discarding all skill cards every game lately) but reading other 'quests' makes it seem like there are other future complexities I haven't discovered yet as well.

haha yeah I do wonder what I actually get from having auto battle on and just watching what happens.

I was enjoying it. I can't explain it. I'd check my tablet, see that my last run got me some epic weapon or whatever, throw together a squad, put my new weapon in, and set my tablet down again for two hours, hoping to get another cool weapon.

But I also felt... ridiculously addict to something I wasn't even 'really' playing. i quit cold turkey by going through a dimension portal (for closure) and deleting it right before i went to bed.

Card Crawl is an excellent recommendation, exactly the kind of game I was looking for. Though I'll unfortunately have to stick to the f2p version (amazon underground isn't available here).

Top Bottom