• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Qvoth

The app has never steered me wrong before. That's how I knew about Walking Dead going on sale instantly. Got a notification and everything.

Seriously, guys, Walking Dead:Assault is the best mobile strategy game I've played. I bought Wesnoth but it's waaaaaay too hard even on easy.

tbh i liked undead hunt a lot more than walking dead: assault, and i think it's made by a gaffer

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The port of The Last Express is out on Android. This is one truly amazing adventure game. You have to try it if you've never played it before. The game is about 20 years old and it still does things that games today don't.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dotemu.thelastexpress
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. I own it on GOG but haven't been able to play it since I'm on a Mac, and after hearing about the iOS port, I was holding out hope that it would come to Android.

Thanks for posting it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
tbh i liked undead hunt a lot more than walking dead: assault, and i think it's made by a gaffer

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I'm giving it a download right now!

I'm also taking this opportunity to crack into Sine Mora and it's pretty good! I really had to max out the sensitivity to get decent control but it runs well during actual gameplay on an OG Nexus 7.

I plan on ordering a Nexus 4 in about a week, how does it's gaming ability compare to the 2012 N7? I'm hyped to finally have a good phone with a big screen, this One V is an abomination before god and man.

I plan on ordering a Nexus 4 in about a week, how does it's gaming ability compare to the 2012 N7? I'm hyped to finally have a good phone with a big screen, this One V is an abomination before god and man.

The N4 is powerful enough to handle pretty much any game. The real question is whether you want to be playing games on a screen that small, especially if you have a tablet.

Horseticuffs

The N4 is powerful enough to handle pretty much any game. The real question is whether you want to be playing games on a screen that small, especially if you have a tablet.
I'm used to 3.5 inch screens, the idea of a 4.7 inch screen (iirc) sounds totally ridiculous and awesome to me.

Before the N4 price drop I was considering buying a '13 n7 and buying a cheap ass prepaid Kyocera event for texting and Internet on the go. The fact is, though, I'm pleased as punch with my '12 n7 still. It handles everything I throw at it, and I know my One V will be dead soon and has been a nightmare since I got it.

The n4 seems like an awesome gaming device I can put in my pocket and do all my phone stuff on it.

I'm glad to hear it's good with games. My One V chugs like a train with Subway Surfers!

Edit :

Hey guys, speak of the devil but Sine Mora just went on sale for $2.99.
It's pretty good!

mrhGB

Banned
This was mentioned in the Apps thread, but it's worth posting here too. Amazon's offering a bunch of apps for free today.
http://www.amazon.com/s/hidden-keyw...WWVM|B005J0VPNC&rh=i:mobile-apps,n:2350149011

Notable Games:
Angry Birds (Ad-Free)
World of Goo
Sprinkle
Pac-Man HD (For Kindle Tablets only)
Cut the Rope (Free App of the Day, on the main Appstore page)

Notable Apps:
SwiftKey
Paper Camera
Shazam Encore

That's premium Swiftkey right? Not the trial? Awesome find, thanks.

XDDX

Horseticuffs

Guys, is there any straight-up baseball game available with no funky collectible cards or fucked up iAP, and it's not just a home run derby?

I just want to pay a buck or two and play some plain ol' baseball. Anything?

Pimpwerx

Hey guys. Just had to mention that this thread got me more active in android gaming. I thank whoever mentioned the droidGAF group on Google+. I'm Duane, and I asked about gaming on there recently. I also added a bunch of you. Thanks to that, I've tried out a bunch of new games.

Hungry Shark Evolution, PBA Bowling and Aces of the Luftwaffe are among those I've added and really enjoyed in the last week. I'd encourage more people to join and feel free to add me. I think the only game I've added and not liked is Triple Town. Just not as enjoyable as I anticipated, and the achievements list is kinda crappy. Maybe I'm just really bad at the game though.

My favorite games so far:

Aces of the Luftwaffe
Riptide GP2
Eufloria HD
Smash Cops Heat
Hungry Shark Evolution
Walking Dead Assault
PEACE.

soultron

Banned
Just wanted to give kudos to Taito for Space Invaders Infinity Gene. Played it on my GS3 and it's just as good as the old XBLA version.

I typically hate shmups on phones but SIIG works really well because it has an auto-shot feature and most ships use lock on anyway.

It's $5 but I'd pay double that. Quality port and a great game.

Angst

That's a shame. I've just bought the N7 but don't fancy slogging through some of the games again to get to the same point. I guess I'll have to pick and choose which game to play on which device. Thanks

If you are rooted you can use Helium which allows for game data backups to Drive, Dropbox or SD-card. You can even schedule daily backups so you can have game saves sync across devices.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup Free
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup.license Paid

Ventrue

Just wanted to give kudos to Taito for Space Invaders Infinity Gene. Played it on my GS3 and it's just as good as the old XBLA version.

I typically hate shmups on phones but SIIG works really well because it has an auto-shot feature and most ships use lock on anyway.

It's $5 but I'd pay double that. Quality port and a great game.

My two cents: I had my progress erased each time I quit the app on my N4.

That's a shame. I've just bought the N7 but don't fancy slogging through some of the games again to get to the same point. I guess I'll have to pick and choose which game to play on which device. Thanks
Tell me about it. I've had exactly the same issue. Not to mention I just replaced my phone, losing whatever saves I had on it.

If you are rooted you can use Helium which allows for game data backups to Drive, Dropbox or SD-card. You can even schedule daily backups so you can have game saves sync across devices.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup Free
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup.license Paid

I'm not wanting to root it but thanks for the advice.

I bought carcassone the other day and me and my girlfriend having been playing it before bed on my N10. It's really well done. I has a few kinks but really not bad for the price. I tried it on my new N7 but I don't think its suited to a screen of that size, even with the resolution.

Angst

I just got a new phone and can't wait to get home and root it. I'll try to stay on the original OS but functionality like Helium means I'll have to at least root it. (You guys know you can root only and don't have to install a custom rom to take advantage of things like Helium?)

GodofWine

I was browsing the amazon app store cause Im bored at work, and I came across a number of 'interesting' titles from "Rovoi" (not Rovio) games...pretty much all their games use the same images taken from Battlefield 4 and they have names Like Battlefront 5 and Killzoner 3...check them out for laughs.

How amazon hasnt taken them down yet i have no idea.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Play Games update.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hello folks. My latest review is up. It's for Astro Boy Dash - an anime inspired endless runner for the Android platform.

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/astro-boy-dash/review

Astro Boy is the classic cartoon that old anime-heads reminisce about rushing home from school to watch when they aren’t reminiscing about rushing home to watch Speed Racer or Robotech. It’s pretty much a futuristic take on the Pinocchio story, featuring a child robot with a blaster in his butt. (That’s no joke – he really does have a cannon bolted to his backside, since apparently the lasers built into his arms aren’t intimidating enough.) His offensive arsenal doesn’t make an appearance in this game, though. Astro Boy Dash, the endless runner from Animoca, is all about avoiding obstacles rather than blowing them to hell.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Layton Brothers: Mystery Room was released for Android today.

3tjx-Gmgjvsc1uON4Suw7qnkwPt9usZGsYtk8MD1DdXI31WRaX0XwKIcZ9AJGXw9yg=h310-rw

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Level_5.MysteryRoomENG

Rashid

Banned
Does anyone have any news on the release of FFT:WotL in high resolution on Play Store? 7 or 8 months ago, Squeenix said that the release would be soon. The updated version was already out on iOS at that time. Also, anyone know anything about TWEWY or Ace Attorney coming out? I want some good games ;_;

Layton Brothers: Mystery Room was released for Android today.

3tjx-Gmgjvsc1uON4Suw7qnkwPt9usZGsYtk8MD1DdXI31WRaX0XwKIcZ9AJGXw9yg=h310-rw

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Level_5.MysteryRoomENG
Yes! Yes! Yes!

EDIT: Played the free cases. This game really drains your battery, about 20% per case on my 2012 Nexus 7. Like it so far, sort of a streamlined version of the Phoenix Wright games. Great music and localization; plenty of mystery afoot
especially Al's possible insanity.

Case packs are two IAPs, $2.99 and $1.99 respectively. So about $5 for the whole game, which doesn't seem too bad for what you're getting (Perhaps a bit too streamlined though).

Husker86

Published my first Android game a couple of days ago. I just started learning Java in April; no programming background so go easy on me!

It has Google Play Achievements! One minor thing that I haven't been able to narrow down (seems to happen on Kingdom Rush too) is that you need to login to Google Play Games by clicking the button on the main screen each time you start the app. Either way, if you forget to login and play the game you can unlock missed achievements by logging in and playing any round in a zone.
edit: fixed auto login

Looking for feedback and hopefully attempt to narrow down a crash that only seems to be happening on my Mom's GSII (several other phones, including my dusty Thunderbolt I revived aren't crashing so I'm happy/confused).

Anyway, more zones will be added in the next couple of weeks.

Point of the game is to trace the line after it disappears. Accuracy is kept track of and best accuracy saved. You can change the delay/color/backup data in the options menu. Second Zone is unlocked after you get 12 stars in Zone One (yeah, I need to make that clear in the game).

Memory Trace
1JpCo7B.png
T4E9LP8.png

Qvoth

will check out that layton game later

anybody tried arma tactics? a non-thd version of the game was released, google play says it's incompatible with my device, but i'm not sure it's because it's not sold in my region or because my phone wouldn't be able to run it, i'm using sgs2

breach & clear is also out, seems like it works on sgs2

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Great to see more and more publishers taking Android Gaming serious, good Level 5.

The URL was working for me a second ago but I'm getting the "Not found" error message now :/

You must've caught them during the update. After completing the free cases, I was a bit surprised to see that it unlocked File 003. I started it up, and it played the normal intro to the case (I was expecting it to do like the Ace Attorney demos and go into a "You gotta buy this first!" special conversation). They recently released an update. I updated, and as expected, the option to pick File 003 disappeared from the menu when I started the app up after updating.

Judging by this change, along with the quick update, I'm guessing that they accidentally released the game with all of the cases unlockable without an IAP (I can't say for sure for all of the cases, since like I said, I stopped at the start of File 003). The update was meant to fix this critical mistake.

celebi23

You must've caught them during the update. After completing the free cases, I was a bit surprised to see that it unlocked File 003. I started it up, and it played the normal intro to the case (I was expecting it to do like the Ace Attorney demos and go into a "You gotta buy this first!" special conversation). They recently released an update. I updated, and as expected, the option to pick File 003 disappeared from the menu when I started the app up after updating.

Judging by this change, along with the quick update, I'm guessing that they accidentally released the game with all of the cases unlockable without an IAP (I can't say for sure for all of the cases, since like I said, I stopped at the start of File 003). The update was meant to fix this critical mistake.
Ah, makes sense. The page is loading now and I'm able to download it to my GS3

anybody tried arma tactics? a non-thd version of the game was released, google play says it's incompatible with my device, but i'm not sure it's because it's not sold in my region or because my phone wouldn't be able to run it, i'm using sgs2

Saw this and got excited. It's apparently incompatible with all my devices too. Bummer :(

RM8

Another pretty great shmup that I just discovered is Shogun. It has a demo too! I'd link it but I'm on the phone... working, yup.

BTW, does anyone know about anything even remotely Mega Man-ish?

Ferrio

Banned
So I have yet to find a game worth playing for more than 5 minutes total on android. This wasn't the case in IOS (though was rare to find such a thing even then). Is there any diamonds scattered out across the piles of shit that is the play store?

RM8

What are the iOS games you liked?

I get that feeling a lot on Android, but not any more than on iOS or WP. Phone gaming is incredibly hit or miss (and it misses most of the time).

Husker86

So I have yet to find a game worth playing for more than 5 minutes total on android. This wasn't the case in IOS (though was rare to find such a thing even then). Is there any diamonds scattered out across the piles of shit that is the play store?

Kingdom Rush has been one of the only games I've played for long periods on any mobile device. I'm a sucker for Tower Defense though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I still play Pixel Defenders whenever I have the chance. It's on iOS as well.

Most of the other stuff I still pretty quickly though. I'm not much of a phone gamer.

Top Bottom