• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So my Nexus 4 came in today and, in fact, I'm typing on it now! Just messing around with some games and I'm very pleased with the performance.

Other than Dead Trigger, which runs on "low", it runs some games like Asphalt 8 better than my og Nexus 7! My Nexus gets choppy even on low, whereas my 4 runs it flawlessly on medium. I've heard the Tegra is sort of a finicky gaming chip.

Sine Mora runs really well, too. Definitely thinking of picking up Frozen Synapse, too.

I know lots of you nerds ordered 4's when the price dropped and I think you'll be quite pleased. It's going to be awesome to have all my favorite games with me without having to lug my tablet around.

Published my first Android game a couple of days ago. I just started learning Java in April; no programming background so go easy on me!

It has Google Play Achievements! One minor thing that I haven't been able to narrow down (seems to happen on Kingdom Rush too) is that you need to login to Google Play Games by clicking the button on the main screen each time you start the app. Either way, if you forget to login and play the game you can unlock missed achievements by logging in and playing any round in a zone.
edit: fixed auto login

Looking for feedback and hopefully attempt to narrow down a crash that only seems to be happening on my Mom's GSII (several other phones, including my dusty Thunderbolt I revived aren't crashing so I'm happy/confused).

Anyway, more zones will be added in the next couple of weeks.

Point of the game is to trace the line after it disappears. Accuracy is kept track of and best accuracy saved. You can change the delay/color/backup data in the options menu. Second Zone is unlocked after you get 12 stars in Zone One (yeah, I need to make that clear in the game).

Memory Trace
http://i.imgur.com/1JpCo7B.png[/IM] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/T4E9LP8.png[/IM][/QUOTE]

Downloaded. Will try and give feedback later.

GBR!

Horseticuffs

Has anyone tried Toast Time yet?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.forceofhabit.toasttime

Seems to be getting excellent reviews thus far. I'd be playing on a Galaxy Nexus / Nexus 7.

Looks cute. Love the look, giving it a shot!

Edit : Impressions! Okay, this is pretty fun! It's a single screen shooty platformy kinda game.

You are a toaster defending an alarm clock from enemies. You unlock new weapon drops by breaking crates that drop from the sky. The fun thing is that there's a physics aspect because when you launch toast you get projected in the opposite direction so you need to compensate and watch your aim. You can fly by shooting toast toward the floor.

Unlock cosmetic outfits for your toaster. I haven't unlocked anything new, but the game gives you a Bo staff, a headband, and a sad expression you can equip your toaster with!

Really cute and I simply adore the monochromatic look and retro music.

RM8

I was ready to try Asphalt 8 on my new Xperia SP - but no luck, it's not compatible. It's compatible with my old Xperia P for some reason, though. Yeah...

R1CHO

will check out that layton game later

anybody tried arma tactics? a non-thd version of the game was released, google play says it's incompatible with my device, but i'm not sure it's because it's not sold in my region or because my phone wouldn't be able to run it, i'm using sgs2

breach & clear is also out, seems like it works on sgs2

I have been playing it for a while (nexus7|13) and looks like an OK game.

Very similar to Xcom, with 2 action points for movement and precisión vs normal shoots.

UI is good, graphics are pretty.

Some IA and field of view problems for tour soldiers.

Has an armory and exp improvements.

For the price is fine imo.

Horseticuffs

If anyone is interested in tactical games, Breach & Clear is pretty great. Gives me off an old-school Xcom sorta vibe.

louiedog

I've been playing I Am Level. It's a fun platformer with simple controls that make sense for the platform. You tilt to move back and forth and tap to activate the pinball launcher/paddles to jump to other parts of the screen.

It's listed as free for a limited time.

link

RM8

I've been playing I Am Level. It's a fun platformer with simple controls that make sense for the platform. You tilt to move back and forth and tap to activate the pinball launcher/paddles to jump to other parts of the screen.

It's listed as free for a limited time.

link
This is super fun. The only thing that bothers me is that your character sprite actually rotates... it immediately destroys the "retro" feel and replaces it with "flash game" feel. But I'm picky like that, it's still a fun game.

Horseticuffs

It's a nice gane, crear for short sessions; but it could be a little more deep, seems to me that it's pretty simple.
Yeah, it is pretty simple. For a mobile title, however, I don't think that's an unforgivable sin.

I'll admit I did enjoy Walking Dead Assault more. Some things in B&C I couldn't figure out how to do, like move to a way point and *then *chuck a grenade.

Pimpwerx

Damn. Asphalt runs like shit on my One

Huh? That's weird. It runs fine on my HTC One on the highest graphics setting. If anything needs me to turn down the detail level, it's Eufloria HD. I have to set that to one notch below the top level in order for it not to slow down. It doesn't even look choppy, it just runs slow, but smooth. But I notice that turning down the graphics detail makes it run faster, so I do. PEACE.

EDIT: I'm running the ViperOne ROM, so not sure if that's got anything to do with it. Stock kernel afaik.

RM8

At least you can download it to your devices :(

My very first Android fragmentation issue. This one is even worse because some Xperia SP can download it, but some can't. Lol.

Horseticuffs

Hey guys. I'm a big podcast fan, and when I was an iOS dude I really loved the Slide-to-Play podcast, Touch Arcade show, and Pocket Gamer Podcast. I still listen to TA and PG's podcasts, but particularly TA is iOS focused.

The few Android podcasts I've found focus mainly on dry commentary regarding new phones and tablets. Does anyone know of a fun, not-too-focused podcast that discusses general mobile gaming (Since most games hit every platform eventually) and can even delve into OS stuff that doesn't go isn't primarily iOS focused? I haven't had a ton of luck and it's looking like the ones I have now may be my best bet.

(Also, Heroes of Loot is a really fun "Gauntlet"-style game! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orangepixel.dungeonfree
And I'm really enjoying Reaper as a fun and pretty side-scrolling ARPG! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hexage.reaper )

R1CHO

Just grabbed it and tried it out. It's pretty much portable Terraria, but the performance is really spotty on my Galaxy S4 though (maybe 15 fps on average). I'd pick it up if I wasn't holding out for the Vita version, but it seems like a reasonable (if somewhat poor performing) port.

Yeah... I hace tried the demo and looks like a good port, nice controls.

But performance it's not that great on my device either :-(

Asphalt officially sucks ass. I unlocked season 5, but only completed season one and two 100 percent.

Now it's impossible to buy the father cars unless grinding for 300 points a race for months, or paying up.

Good enough for a dollar I guess.

RM8

It's still fun arcade racing. A shame it eventually hits a pay wall, but it's still worth playing IMO.

IISANDERII

Just got my first Android device(Sony Xperia Z Tablet) and looking through the App store I was surprised to find an emulator for SNES. Installed it and it brought me to search for games and downloaded a few.
Wow it all works, easy and fast, I am impressed.
Of the games I downloaded, only Romancing Saga 3 I had never bought[it was never released in the West].
Is this legal and all that?

Just got my first Android device(Sony Xperia Z Tablet) and looking through the App store I was surprised to find an emulator for SNES. Installed it and it brought me to search for games and downloaded a few.
Wow it all works, easy and fast, I am impressed.
Of the games I downloaded, only Romancing Saga 3 I had never bought[it was never released in the West].
Is this legal and all that?
Most emulators are legal, but pirating the ROMS is illegal, essentially.

If that SNES emulator amazes you, you may want to check out RetroArch - it has a ton of emulators all in one app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.retroarch. You'll need to provide your own ROM files and in some cases BIOS files, but it's a pretty neat collection of emulators for a mobile device.

Hi, I really like this thread, got some great reccommendations!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone in here has tried Final Fantasy 3 or 4. Are they good and fun to play on android devices? A serviceable story would be cool as well. The price is pretty steep so I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

Pimpwerx

Hi, I really like this thread, got some great reccommendations!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone in here has tried Final Fantasy 3 or 4. Are they good and fun to play on android devices? A serviceable story would be cool as well. The price is pretty steep so I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

Exactly the same as the console versions AFAIK, just in 3D. FF4 has voice acting, FF3 doesn't. Both look the same graphically. I'm still near the beginning of the game, but if you like the console gameplay, you'll like the phone version. It seems like it's the same save for virtual controls instead of a physical controller. Oh, and FF4 has achievements, while FF3 doesn't. PEACE.

Horseticuffs

You know you can set it to medium or high setting's right? low is default.
Oh, I know! Thanks, though. I was meaning that based on the power of the device that it suggested low settings.

I'll tell you guys, I'm still so hyped to have a phone to play these badass games on instead of lugging my Nexus 7 around.

Mini motor racing is tight as hell.

Horseticuffs

Well, the thread is kind of dead lately but I just wanted to touch on some games I've been enjoying lately.

-Mini Motor Racing is really the best mobile racing game I've played. Tons of tracks, tight arcade gameplay, and no freemium garbage though there are additional seasons you can buy with more tracks.

I'm a sucker for simple arcade racers and here you can set it up so one half of the screen steers left, one half right, and there's a small nitro button in the middle of it all. Nothing complicated, just beat the other dudes.

I don't recall the price since I bought it on sale ages ago and only recently installed it when u got tired of Asphalt 8 but still wanted a racer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextgenreality.minimoto

-Dumb Ways to Die is a super fun mini game collection that, I hear, hearkens back to the Warioware format. I've never really played a game like this before and I'm really enjoying it.

It is undeniably adorable. The home screen for the game is a cute little train station that is, at first, home to only one cute little blue creature. As you score higher and higher the train comes and drops off more and more of the darling lil' fellas.

The rub is that all of the minigames end in two ways, a happy little dude or a little dude who has died in some horrible way. The little dudes who ends up at your train station are, more often than not, horribly mutilated. They may have had their junk eaten off by piranhas, or been bitten in half by a bear. They may just be a cuddly little skeleton!

It really is a very charming package and it's all free, too. Sure, it's ad supported and you'll need to watch the occasional video. Usually that sucks, I know, but this game is fun and delightful enough that I'll endure it.

I really can't wait to have my kids soon to let them play this as they'll really dig it's dark sense of cuddly humor.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.au.com.metro.DumbWaysToDie

linsivvi

Puzzle and Dragons have been occupying most of my free time the last few months to the point that I don't play any other Android game any more.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Puzzle and Dragons have been occupying most of my free time the last few months to the point that I don't play any other Android game any more.
Heard so much about it and would love to try it out but they still haven't released it in Europe.

chiQ

Well, the thread is kind of dead lately but I just wanted to touch on some games I've been enjoying lately.

-Mini Motor Racing is really the best mobile racing game I've played. Tons of tracks, tight arcade gameplay, and no freemium garbage though there are additional seasons you can buy with more tracks.

I'm a sucker for simple arcade racers and here you can set it up so one half of the screen steers left, one half right, and there's a small nitro button in the middle of it all. Nothing complicated, just beat the other dudes.

I don't recall the price since I bought it on sale ages ago and only recently installed it when u got tired of Asphalt 8 but still wanted a racer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextgenreality.minimoto

-Dumb Ways to Die is a super fun mini game collection that, I hear, hearkens back to the Warioware format. I've never really played a game like this before and I'm really enjoying it.

It is undeniably adorable. The home screen for the game is a cute little train station that is, at first, home to only one cute little blue creature. As you score higher and higher the train comes and drops off more and more of the darling lil' fellas.

The rub is that all of the minigames end in two ways, a happy little dude or a little dude who has died in some horrible way. The little dudes who ends up at your train station are, more often than not, horribly mutilated. They may have had their junk eaten off by piranhas, or been bitten in half by a bear. They may just be a cuddly little skeleton!

It really is a very charming package and it's all free, too. Sure, it's ad supported and you'll need to watch the occasional video. Usually that sucks, I know, but this game is fun and delightful enough that I'll endure it.

I really can't wait to have my kids soon to let them play this as they'll really dig it's dark sense of cuddly humor.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.au.com.metro.DumbWaysToDie

It's based on this train safety ad from Australia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FceKlVbL2wY

RM8

Since I've been really in the mood for some shmup action (since I'm actually playing Kokuga and it's awesome <3), I discovered Nokogi Rider and it's pretty good. It feels like an authentic old school shmup - graphics are authentic and not Flash-game-like like lots of pseudo-retro games, it really feels like something that could have been on arcades. It has several difficulty options, in case anyone is either intimidated by these games or a hardcore shmup master :p

VP3SaW0.jpg
oXp4jxI.jpg

There's a demo in case anyone wants to try it.

Horseticuffs

It's F2P anyway. I just side loaded it.

If only it didn't have the F2P aspect, the gameplay is actually really fun. I'm not sure if Puzzle Quest is on Play, but might be worth checking out unless they added a ton of iAP for the Mobile version :(

linsivvi

If only it didn't have the F2P aspect, the gameplay is actually really fun. I'm not sure if Puzzle Quest is on Play, but might be worth checking out unless they added a ton of iAP for the Mobile version :(

Both Puzzle Quest and Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes are on the store. Not sure if they have IAPs though since I've already played the other versions.

Top Bottom