• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

I hope key lime pie really changes the color palette to something other than that god awful blue in the notification bar and app drawer. Notification bar always looks hideous during the lockscreen and almost every app that doesn't look good with blue. ex. Google music, spotify, Note, G+, etc, etc. (Almost every app). Google needs more colors in KLP.

They should bring back the white and green and add some transparency to Android. HTC's notification bar looks great and Google should do something like this:

Also the on screen buttons need a major redesign. They don't look well with the design Google is starting to go with JB and future versions. The buttons are still from Honeycomb. Not only that but Google needs to give us a way to hide and bring the buttons out on command with a gesture or something. I need my FULL SCREEN apps. They should implement something like PIE.

Also obligatory: Keep adding butter. Still not as smooth as WP and iOS.

Those are some of the major gripes I have against Android right now. Here's hoping 5.0 is a huge update as ICS was.

Also KLP for G Nex pls

I agree on most points except the transparency. Not too fond of that.
More apps should support hiding of the software buttons though, especially reading apps like Pocket or even Chrome.

I think a visual overhaul is pretty much needed, because the dark menus are pretty dull looking now. I'd love a card style menu that can be expanded instead of entered. Needless to say I think they've got something big in store if Google's own apps' design updates are anything to go by.

Nicktendo86

I disagree, really don't like HTC's status bar. Feels too busy, I live the simplicity of stock. I can understand the dislike for the blue though, maybe just simple white on black would do the trick.

Edit: don't know of anyone noticed but if you flash the new camera app you can use the volume buttons for the shutter.

Jigolo

The clutter is not what I was talking about. Only the colors of the time and the battery meter. White and green would look great in any app.

I disagree, really don't like HTC's bar. Feels too busy, I live the simplicity of stock. I can understand the dislike for the blue though, maybe just simple white on black would do the trick.

Edit: don't know of anyone noticed but if you flash the new camera app you can use the volume buttons for the shutter.

What??!! How can the HTC's status bar feels busy? It pretty much show the same thing as stock. Stock can look busy too if things are on and there's notifications. HTC is just like stock but simple white on black, not some Tron inspired look that Stock is going for.

Also the stock home screen got this ugly dark cloud on top and bottom of the screen, which makes light wallpaper look ugly and busy.

jokkir

So my friend let me keep his Acer Iconia A100... should I even bother keeping this or try and sell it? It's in pretty bad condition lol but I think I can trade it in at EBGames and get Animal Crossing.

It's so much worse than the Nexus 7 so far >__>

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
3 quick questions from Brett for Weekend Fun

1) What album(s) are currently getting the most play on your Android phone?

2) What Android game are you currently playing?

3) What is going to be your next Android related purpose?

Extra Credit:

Recommend a recent movie, game, tv show, or book that you've seen, played, or read!

So my friend let me keep his Acer Iconia A100... should I even bother keeping this or try and sell it? It's in pretty bad condition lol but I think I can trade it in at EBGames and get Animal Crossing.

iirc that has a Tegra 2... get Animal Crossing.

3 quick questions from Brett for Weekend Fun

1) What album(s) are currently getting the most play on your Android phone?
Yeezus, Free The World and The 20/20 Experience

2) What Android game are you currently playing?
Temple Run Oz!

3) What is going to be your next Android related purpose?
a Galaxy Note 4 or some sort of W8/Android hybrid

Extra Credit:

Recommend a recent movie, game, tv show, or book that you've seen, played, or read!
does Duolingo count as a game?

Vanillalite

I need to get back on Duolingo. I was diligent trying to relearn some French for about 2 weeks straight, and then I stopped. I need to get back on that.

I've yet to try out the app they released for Android. I was just doing it all on the web.

PS: Look at what the postman just dropped off! :D

9166791731_d83d02d8c1_c.jpg

Had one. Hacked it and put 4.2.2 on it. But GS/EB only offer 20 for it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Andrex, i didn't know you hated me that much!

?

I need to get back on Duolingo. I was diligent trying to relearn some French for about 2 weeks straight, and then I stopped. I need to get back on that.

I've yet to try out the app they released for Android. I was just doing it all on the web.

PS: Look at what the postman just dropped off! :D

You didn't buy off the superior eShop because...?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
All my 3DS games are off eShop except for Tales of the Abyss.

Not buying KI until Nintendo puts that shit on eShop.
LLShC.gif

Dynedom

Well I think I screwed myself. Set myself up on Paranoid Android (3.6) for my Galaxy S3 (i9300). Did a full wipe and all. Everything works fine...except for my Messaging App. Won't launch at all. Cannot send or receive SMS messages. Tried using SMS Go but that doesn't work either (set it up not he right message center and everything). Might have something to do with going to 4.2.2 on this S3. :(

Any suggestions?

Toki767

Well I think I screwed myself. Set myself up on Paranoid Android. Did a full wipe and all. Everything works fine...except for my Messaging App. Won't launch at all. Cannot send or receive SMS messages. Tried using SMS Go but that doesn't work either (set it up not he right message center and everything). Might have something to do with going to 4.2.2 on this S3. :(

Any suggestions?
Check to see if your IMEI disappeared. Or reflash?

Dynedom

Check to see if your IMEI disappeared. Or reflash?

Tried running the check and it gave me an "Unknown Application" error. Thing is, I did an EFS backup and restored it. Did a reboot. This should have been fixed, right?

Sorry for the amateur hour here. I'm thinking I just need to reflash.

I agree that 5.0 this october is iffy for sure but I still think they'll release a new nexus phone.

It's unlike that 4.3 would be released and then 5.0 right afterwards. I'm thinking we'll be looking at 2014 for 5.0. I mean, Google has to wait until iOS 7 is release first and then travel back in time to retroactively copy it's features, amirite?

Toki767

Tried running the check and it gave me an "Unknown Application" error. Thing is, I did an EFS backup and restored it. Did a reboot. This should have been fixed, right?

Sorry for the amateur hour here. I'm thinking I just need to reflash.

If you made a backup you should be fine. Can you actually make phone calls? You should also check to make sure your mobile network settings are correct.

Dynedom

If you made a backup you should be fine. Can you actually make phone calls? You should also check to make sure your mobile network settings are correct.

I fixed the problem, I think. Had to do with my Titanium restore. I think I restored my SMS/MMS without allowing system migration, which broke my Messaging app. Paid for Titanium Pro, reflashed, restored with system migration and boom. Everything working fine.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully nothing else creeps up.

Nicktendo86

What??!! How can the HTC's status bar feels busy? It pretty much show the same thing as stock. Stock can look busy too if things are on and there's notifications. HTC is just like stock but simple white on black, not some Tron inspired look that Stock is going for.

Also the stock home screen got this ugly dark cloud on top and bottom of the screen, which makes light wallpaper look ugly and busy.

The am/pm being there as well as the battery icon being landscape rather than portrait alone takes up more space than necessary. The stock status bar is simple and elegant.

Vanillalite

I really should buy a 3DS

I would buy a 3DS instantly if there's a new F-Zero game for it.

You both should buy one anyways. Steady stream of games incoming + current library means you'd have more than enough to justify a purchase. You could get a 3ds now and just with the games already out be set for a year or so if you play through most of the major titles along with some of the more niche stuff.

Best electronic purchase I've made in the past couple of years honestly.

3phemeral

Is this the one that suffers from ghost touches?

Looking to buy a new car stereo, and have space for one of the extra tall units. Does anyone know of a good unit that works well with Android phones, such as accessing the contacts, displaying Google Navigation on the screen, etc.? Don't need a CD player, as I just stream/play everything off my phone via Bluetooth.

kehs

Banned
Looking to buy a new car stereo, and have space for one of the extra tall units. Does anyone know of a good unit that works well with Android phones, such as accessing the contacts, displaying Google Navigation on the screen, etc.? Don't need a CD player, as I just stream/play everything off my phone via Bluetooth.

They all suck for android integration. I think pioneer was working on one for android but that like two years ago and I haven't seen anything about it.

Android police had a review of another a few weeks ago....spolier alert the app to connect the two sucked.

kehs

Banned
Speaking of not stopping crazy, whose getting a Samsung Home Sync w/ Touchwiz?

I'm not being facetious at all when I say this, but this is pretty much where we're going to end up in about 5-10 years.Meaning, personal home servers where you dump all your shit, and access it from any device instead of having Zuckerburg or Page jilling off to your intimate pictures.

Samsung is ahead of the curve with the concept. If this thing had a redundancy setup it'd be a big contender in the NAS space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom