• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
AndroidAndMe explained it better than Android Police:
As it currently stands, in order for accessories like the Pebble smart watch and apps like Light Flow to utilize your Android device’s notifications, there needs to be a little tinkering done. With Android 4.3, that looks to be changing in a big way.

According to a recent tear down of a leaked Android 4.3 ROM, Google is going to allow developers to, as Ron Amadeo of Android Police puts it, “replicate the notification panel.” In layman’s terms, devices like smart watches will be able to act as your notification panel, complete with notification actions and all. This is huge news for accessory makers, and it opens the door to a world of possibility. It shows that Google not only cares about accessory developers, but that it may have ideas of its own coming in the near future.

As far as how this changes things for apps like Light Flow, things are just going to be easier to implement. No more hacks or workarounds will be necessary to take full advantage of notifications. This may, in turn, lead to more experimentation and faster updates for already existing apps. But don’t expect anything too drastic to occur in this area.

Another interesting aspect of the changes to the notification panel are what this means for replacement notification bars. While all the necessary parts aren’t present quite yet, this may very well be the first step in Google allowing Android users to download and select their own notification panel from Google Play. With the stock Android keyboard already available, all you’d need is an official stock launcher and notification app to get the stock Android experience on any phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EWmof.gif
Coppy
p0QHO.gif

HawkeyeIC

Speaking of play music, anyone else's app close randomly and also open randomly? I couldn't find any info out there on it, but it would be strange if I were the only one...

Unless I stupid and missing it, I wish there was a "recently listened" category in Play Music. Also, is there a way to find radio stations of 80s music (or any genre)? I can only find playlists people have made.

Cipherr

Unless I stupid and missing it, I wish there was a "recently listened" category in Play Music. Also, is there a way to find radio stations of 80s music (or any genre)? I can only find playlists people have made.

Recently listened music comes up under the "Listen Now" tab. Just scroll down in the app, and itll have the suggested radio stations and all your recently listened music.

vdlow

Since the thread is now Play Music |OT| lol, is there a way to get rid of the lockscreen widget when playing music?

kehs

Banned
Speaking of play music, anyone else's app close randomly and also open randomly? I couldn't find any info out there on it, but it would be strange if I were the only one...

This happens to me, but usually when connecting to Bluetooth. I figured it was a problem with the Bluetooth stack they're ignoring.

The "listen now" section is kinda like that, shows recently played stuff.

I've been using my free trial of All Access and I have to say that it's pretty amazing. I might end up subbing to it after the trial period ends. Unlimited streaming of the entire 20 million tracks collected in the Play Music Store for $8 a month? Yeah, I'm okay with this.

Groof

Was that becasue of those weird light things? Who did you send it to, Google or LG? How long did the whole process take? Sorry for the interrogation lol

Yeah it was. Well, I bought the phone through a Swedish carrier's website so I had to go through them and they have connections to some Nordic service facility I've never really heard about. So I'm guessing it wasn't sent to neither Google nor LG, but they probably had all the official parts and stuff.
I'm just glad I have a 100% clean screen again lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah people over on XDA recommended using a soft bristled toothbrush to gentle clean your phone with. I followed the advice of a few that said it worked though they might not have been so gentle.

Basically on my One X I used it to clean my speaker grills and my front camera slot. Main thing was my back speaker wasn't very audible even with my volume maxed. This helped clean some of the dust and stuff.

Tried it the other day, but only did it for like 20 secs gently. Didn't do crap. Tried again last night and went at it not so gently for a min or two. That really seemed to work.

PS: Obviously no toothpaste was harmed in this event.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Call me a cheapskate, but I just can't ever see myself spending that kind of money on a laptop regardless of what it is. So no Pixel, Macbook Pro, or high end Ultrabook for me.

gcubed

unless android and chromeOS merge i see absolutely no redeemable aspect of having either as an OS.

Shit, I think Google has been getting a bit of good luck... if MS wasn't this slow assed, half baked behemoth of a company that has its head firmly up its ass maybe WP (or WinRT) would start gaining more then 3% market share... but for a company that has maybe just past blackberry to get out of the basement, they sure don't seem to care about iterating their OS at a pace fast enough to compete.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Call me a cheapskate, but I just can't ever see myself spending that kind of money on a laptop regardless of what it is. So no Pixel, Macbook Pro, or high end Ultrabook for me.

If you want quality, you gotta pay.

(Unless you got I/O tickets, trololol.)

Pixel is totes beautiful. Absolutely amazing hardware. It's hard for me to use anything else...

I don't know why but I want this to happen.
I would be tempted if the Pixel was running Android...hhhhhhhgggg.

Eww. Full screen Android apps? Double eww.

Groof

Lol my WiFi won't turn off. The second I turn it off it turns right back on again. Settings are unchanged I think.

SimleuqiR

Eww. Full screen Android apps? Double eww.

Hey there is a reason why the Roboto font got updated in 4.3. Google is definately going to be putting Android on much bigger screen devices, including laptops. Now, mobile apps can stay on mobile. But why would developers want to make desktop apps for Android? Is there some negative aspect to it?

Spazo

I just got some money for my birthday and I'm looking to buy my first tablet

do you guys have any recommendation for me ?

price: between 200-300
dont need LTE, only wifi

nexus 7 looks like a good choice but I heard they will release a new version. should I wait for it ?

dont need LTE, only wifi

nexus 7 looks like a good choice but I heard they will release a new version. should I wait for it ?
Just wait a few more months, the new Nexus could/should cost around what you want to spend.

gcubed

dont need LTE, only wifi

if you want an android tablet, definitely wait for the next nexus 7 and hope it comes sooner than later

So Snapdragon 800 for the next Nexus (5)?

http://phandroid.com/2013/07/01/lg-...dragon-800-processor-could-be-upcoming-lg-g2/

??

Or is Google always going to keep the Nexus line as a midrange device.

It never has been, except for the Nexus S.

what was midrange about the Nexus 4 on launch besides the lack of LTE?

Exactly. It was a top-of-the-line phone. The only thing I can think of was 720 vs. 1080p, which means nothing to me.

Also, my N4 has excellent LTE in NYC on T-Mobile. So, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom